You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sventex

Where to buy military naval caps?

36 comments in this topic

[REVY]
Members
8,259 posts
6,118 battles

I'm just wondering, where would one go to buy an black French Admiral cap to be used as a prop?  Or are these things only made to tailor for military personal?

UTB8Sy5Ky3QydeJk43PUq6AyQpXaj.jpg_300x30

[V_V_V]
Members
940 posts
16,786 battles

Be prepared to pay a premuim for that militaria, if you can find one.  For a prop, you could almost magnify and print your photo to a paper mold.

[REVY]
Members
8,259 posts
6,118 battles
On 11/28/2020 at 5:33 PM, Charon2018 said:

Be prepared to pay a premuim for that militaria, if you can find one.  For a prop, you could almost magnify and print your photo to a paper mold.

On ebay I managed to find the WWI black variant of a US Admiral's cap for $65, I'm almost tempted to get that instead.

s-l1600.jpg

[V_V_V]
Members
940 posts
16,786 battles

Sure, if you're good with what appears to be a Pakistani reproduction, ebay is full of them.   

One WW2 original tailored by Bancroft for a specific admiral I found online went for $595.00 US.  Compare its details with the WW1 repro above. 

The collector's market for original badges, caps, and medals is very well established.  Caveat emptor.  Have fun.

Original U.S. WWII Navy Admiral Lynde Dupuy McCormick Blue Peaked Visor Cap by Bancroft – International Military AntiquesONSV1203A__1_small.jpg

Edited by Charon2018
add text

[REVY]
Members
8,259 posts
6,118 battles
5 hours ago, Charon2018 said:

Sure, if you're good with what appears to be a Pakistani reproduction, ebay is full of them.   

One WW2 original tailored by Bancroft for a specific admiral I found online went for $595.00 US.  Compare its details with the WW1 repro above. 

The collector's market for original badges, caps, and medals is very well established.  Caveat emptor.  Have fun.

Original U.S. WWII Navy Admiral Lynde Dupuy McCormick Blue Peaked Visor Cap by Bancroft – International Military AntiquesONSV1203A__1_small.jpg

I worry if I'm approaching stolen valor territory if I start wearing a legitimate Admiral's hat.  In fact, I'm so concerned about crossing a line, I'm thinking of using a Merchant Marine cap as a prop instead, since I think there's less possibility for someone to take offence.

s-l500.jpg

[V_V_V]
Members
940 posts
16,786 battles

The Merchant Marine has also been valorous; I would think you run that risk as well using such a device to enhance for effect.  I would think that wearing any original such article or reproduction (particularly for profit, or even casually) may give offence to serving personnel or relatives unless you identify as an actor/reenactor.

I still have my Dad's USMC dress blues, but I never wore them, even when I could fit in them.  Some things just aren't done. 

[REVY]
Members
8,259 posts
6,118 battles
45 minutes ago, Charon2018 said:

The Merchant Marine has also been valorous; I would think you run that risk as well using such a device to enhance for effect.  I would think that wearing any original such article or reproduction (particularly for profit, or even casually) may give offence to serving personnel or relatives unless you identify as an actor/reenactor.

I still have my Dad's USMC dress blues, but I never wore them, even when I could fit in them.  Some things just aren't done. 

But I know there's a line somewhere.  I do not think one would take offence at someone wearing a bicorne when discussing naval matters and I don't think any serving personal would think twice over someone wearing a civil war hardee hat.  It's been over a 100 years since WWI, would a WWI specific naval cap still be too close to stolen valor?  

WYFDZCXWOUI6FH7PXBJKHAVIMU.jpg

[V_V_V]
Members
940 posts
16,786 battles
8 hours ago, Sventex said:

would a WWI specific naval cap still be too close to stolen valor?  

What's the context?  Since you haven't revealed your plan for use of such a "prop"...

Examples:

1)  If the distinguished-looking individuals pictured above were staff or volunteer tour guides to the vessel in the background and recounting it's history as as part of a celebration, I might think they are identifying as reenactors and could accept tips after a tour.  Huzza!

2)  If they were standing together with an open banjo case singing sidewalk sea shanties outside Treasure Island in Las Vegas, I might think differently of their "roles". 

YMMV.

[REVY]
Members
8,259 posts
6,118 battles
5 minutes ago, Charon2018 said:

What's the context?  Since you haven't revealed your plan for use of such a "prop"...

Examples:

1)  If the distinguished-looking individuals pictured above were staff or volunteer tour guides to the vessel in the background and recounting it's history as as part of a celebration, I might think they are identifying as reenactors and could accept tips after a tour.  Huzza!

2)  If they were standing together with an open banjo case singing sidewalk sea shanties outside Treasure Island in Las Vegas, I might think differently of their "roles". 

YMMV.

For armchair admiraling when discussing history and possibly for use in photoshop to update my avatar in future.

Edited by Sventex

[V_V_V]
Members
940 posts
16,786 battles
7 minutes ago, Sventex said:

For armchair admiraling when discussing history and possibly for use in photoshop to update my avatar in future.

IMO, any such use you do here and in the game is subject to the limitations of the EULA.  

[REVY]
Members
8,259 posts
6,118 battles
26 minutes ago, Charon2018 said:

IMO, any such use you do here and in the game is subject to the limitations of the EULA.  

I don't know what that means.  Is my current avatar against the rules?

[REVY]
Members
8,259 posts
6,118 battles
1 hour ago, Charon2018 said:

Examples:

YMMV.

Also Dasha wears a cap, is that taboo or acceptable?  When your just playing a role for fun, it should be okay right?

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Sventex

[V_V_V]
Members
940 posts
16,786 battles
36 minutes ago, Sventex said:

I don't know what that means.  Is my current avatar against the rules?

7 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Also Dasha wears a cap, is that taboo or acceptable?

EULA=End User LIcense Agreement-the one you agreed to abide by when you signed up for WoWs.

These are questions to PM a WoWs staff member with.

[REVY]
Members
8,259 posts
6,118 battles
4 minutes ago, Charon2018 said:

EULA=End User LIcense Agreement-the one you agreed to abide by when you signed up for WoWs.

But what does EULA have to do with me wearing a hat?  I don't understand.  I don't see how a EULA would have any relation to my personal attire or what my hobbies are or what I do on youtube.

Edited by Sventex

[V_V_V]
Members
940 posts
16,786 battles
1 minute ago, Sventex said:

But what does EULA have to do with me wearing a hat?  I don't understand.

4 minutes ago, Charon2018 said:

[REVY]
Members
8,259 posts
6,118 battles
2 minutes ago, Charon2018 said:

I don't think they are.  They cannot have me arrested or sued because I'm physically wearing a hat in another country nor do I think they have me banned because my avatar is wearing a hat.  Many forum posters have avatars with hats.  I don't understand why you brought up EULA at all, why are you asking me to PM WoW staff over personal attire?  This issue doesn't seem like an issue that would relate to WoW staff in any way and I wouldn't get an answer.

Edited by Sventex

[WTAF]
Members
235 posts
8,921 battles

It’s only “stolen valor” if you present yourself as an actual vet and lie about having served. There are hundreds, thousands, of people who are into reenactment and nobody is accusing them of stolen valor. It’s the lie, not wearing the uniform.

• Cool 1

[V_V_V]
Members
940 posts
16,786 battles
10 minutes ago, Sventex said:

I don't think they are.  They cannot have me arrested or sued because I'm physically wearing a hat in another country nor do I think they have me banned because my avatar is wearing a hat.  Many forum posters have avatars with hats.  I don't understand why you brought up EULA at all, why are you asking me to PM WoW staff over personal attire?  This issue doesn't seem like an issue that would relate to WoW staff in any way and I wouldn't get an answer.

You asked the questions, I gave you my opinions.  

If you want to discuss potential ramifications of the EULA regarding your activities, I invite you to do so with Staff. 

Otherwise I assume you are trolling.  Enough said by me.  Happy landings.

[REVY]
Members
8,259 posts
6,118 battles
11 minutes ago, Kenrod_Melrocity said:

It’s only “stolen valor” if you present yourself as an actual vet and lie about having served. There are hundreds, thousands, of people who are into reenactment and nobody is accusing them of stolen valor. It’s the lie, not wearing the uniform.

Yeah I'm never going to present myself as an actual vet, I'm more seeking the cap in the same vein that WGing dressing up Jingles and Drachinfel discussing naval history.  It's purely for discussing history at home.

armchair.jpg

Edited by Sventex

[REVY]
Members
8,259 posts
6,118 battles
6 minutes ago, Charon2018 said:

If you want to discuss potential ramifications of the EULA regarding your activities, I invite you to do so with Staff. 

But I don't because I don't see how this is at all related to EULA.  I asked you what you meant by bringing up EULA but you haven't answer that.

6 minutes ago, Charon2018 said:

Otherwise I assume you are trolling.

Are you reverse trolling me?  Why do you want me to talk to WGing staff?  You haven't answer that!  Why should WGing staff be involved?  I don't see *any* connection to WGing staff and a hat.

Edited by Sventex

[D-H-O]
Beta Testers, Volunteer Moderator
312 posts
6,829 battles

I am NOT WG Staff... but just to throw this out there...  

If you are going to state that something violations EULA... unless it's blaringly obvious, you might want to reference what part of the EULA that it is violating.  I was drawn to this thread for outside reasons but it got me reading through the EULA again and I can't find where using a military hat would violate it.  The closest you would be is if you were using it to impersonate an officer/service man or woman... then you may be violating laws in some way and that would be a EULA violation.   I think the OP clearly stated that it would be used as a prop, not to promote themselves as a member of an armed service which eliminates that possibility.   

I would point out that some streamers wear hats and emblems during streams that representative of armed services without sanction or reprimand from WG, so I think it would be OK.