Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
megahugenoob

Why are UK Ships so garbage at earning credits / XP.

21 comments in this topic

[JMMAF]
Members
683 posts
9,013 battles

Title says it all. I really enjoy playing my UK Ships, but I find they are really crappy at earning XP and Credits.  Why?  I just finished a game in my Goliath where it was a decent performance and I barely made any $ and XP.  I dropped 101.8 k damage of which like 15k was fire.  Not a super game but not horribad.  Any idea why when I play my conqueror and goliath the XP and Credits are so garbage. I can land 150k on my conqueror and find myself #6 on scoring and have only a mild credit gain.   I netted about 80k this match which is horrible.

It feels to me like the scoring does not like Fire / HE and that it favors AP hits when scoring and doling out credits.  Is this my imagination?

uk4.png

uk3.png

uk2.jpg

uk1.png

• Haha 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,096 posts
20,824 battles

Total damage doesn't mean a thing. Spreading 100k over 5 different ships earns less XP than doing 100k to a single ship.

[KILL]
Members
1,019 posts
11,536 battles

When your shooting at Battleships that just heal it up.   You really only did about 50-60k damage. or half a bb's (half a ship as determined by WeGee) worth of damage.   Fits for about third to last.   I'm surprised you made credits.

Edited by WES_HoundDog

[JMMAF]
Members
683 posts
9,013 battles
7 minutes ago, Lert said:

Total damage doesn't mean a thing. Spreading 100k over 5 different ships earns less XP than doing 100k to a single ship.

I actually didn't know that.  That's surprising to me.

[WOLFG]
Members
32,042 posts
9,926 battles
8 minutes ago, Lert said:

It does? Is it because you get extra for the 100k kill?

[SALVO]
Members
26,059 posts
28,849 battles

One thing to always remember.  20k of damage to a DD is worth a lot more than 20k of damage to a BB.  The value of damage is based on the percentage of the target ship's HP total.  This is a huge reason why DDs can earn a lot of XP with such low total damage numbers, if they focused their damage onto a small number of enemy DDs.   It really isn't about British ships being treated poorly.  If anything, those HE spamming RN CAs and BBs have the ability to really crush enemy DDs (with their HE) and earn a lot of XP and credits for doing so.

Members
3,967 posts
14,414 battles
2 minutes ago, megahugenoob said:

It's a bit more nuanced than that.

Being top tier and only doing dmg to lower tier ships, also lowered your xp gains. 

[SALVO]
Members
26,059 posts
28,849 battles
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

No, it's because you did 100% of the damage to that 100k HP BB, as opposed to, say, 20% of the damage to each of 5 BBs.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,096 posts
20,824 battles
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

3 minutes ago, megahugenoob said:

XP is proportional to the percentage of health you take from a ship. My phrasing was a bit crude, but as I understand it, it works like this:

Ever ship at a tier is worth an amount of XP. Regardless of what type of ship it is, DD, CL, CA, BB, CV. They're all worth the same. You get XP awarded based on the percentage of a target's health you remove. So doing 30k damage to a 35k CL earns you more than doing 30k to a 90k battleship. So spreading damage around leads to lesser XP awards.

Also, there's an XP bonus of 10% for every tier of ship you damage above your own, and a deduction of 10% for every tier below your own. As a T10 ship doesn't have any higher tiers to shoot at, it earns less XP than, say, a T8 ship shooting at a T10

[JMMAF]
Members
683 posts
9,013 battles
Just now, Rollingonit said:

It's a bit more nuanced than that.

Being top tier and only doing dmg to lower tier ships, also lowered your xp gains. 

Ya, that part I knew. I the ship lineup didn't favor me shooting at DD's and T-X ships. They were all at opposite side of map.

Members
399 posts
26 battles

If you haven't already seen it, the wiki article has a good explanation of broadly how the base earnings of XP and credits works.
Note credits and XP are broadly earnt in a similar way but the rewards for the same action doesn't always scale exactly. You are rewarded for getting a kill more with credits than XP.

Spoiler

Base experience points

In-game Actions
The greatest base earnings come from damage done to enemy ships.
The rewards for damage is determined by the percentage of the target ship's hit points removed, not the amount of raw damage done. Removing 90% of a destroyer's HP will generate the same base earnings as removing 90% of a battleship's HP at the same tier.
The rewards from damage scale depending on the tier disparity between ships. More is earned for damaging a higher tiered than a lower tiered ship.

Frags (enemy kills) award base experience the equivalent of 10% of the target's hit points in damage.
 Total damage to aircraft is tracked and contributes to earnings. The tier of the aircraft carrier that launched the planes is considered for tier disparity.
Captured rewards base experience "equivalent to 2/3 of a completely destroyed ship".
If several ships contribute to a capture, the rewards are divided by each ship's contribution to the capture.
The reward for blocking capture is the same as a capture assist dividing by the duration of the enemy's capture.

Potential damage
Tanking and potential damage is rewarded. Potential damage is the sum of the maximum damage of all shells, bombs, torpedoes, etc. that hit the ship or pass within 700m.
Earnings are modified by ship type. For example, battleships earn the most credits and base XP and aircraft carriers the least for receiving the same amount of potential damage.

Potential damage, spotting, damage upon spotting economics modifiers by ship type

Detection
Detection - detecting a ship for the first time or detecting one that has been undetected for at least 90 seconds:
CV receives 0.75% of XP/Credits of the reward for full HP damage to the detected ship.
BB receives 1.50% of XP/Credits of the reward for full HP damage to the detected ship.
DD receives 2.00% of XP/Credits of the reward for full HP damage to the detected ship.
CR receives 3.25% of XP/Credits of the reward for full HP damage to the detected ship.
The detection of aircraft and torpedoes also generates a small reward.

Spotting and Damage on Spotting

Spotting - detecting a ship that is then damaged by your allies (that could not otherwise see the target) gives the following:
BB receives approximately 10% of the reward for full HP damage to the spotted ship.
CV receives approximately 20% of the reward for full HP damage to the spotted ship.
CR receives approximately 30% of the reward for full HP damage to the spotted ship.
DD receives approximately 40% of the reward for full HP damage to the spotted ship.

The spotter must be detecting the target at the moment the shells hit.
The reward is divided by the number of spotters.
Damage-over-time (fire, flood) is not rewarded to spotters.

Other Considerations
The more Base Capture and Base Defense points you earn, the better.
Total rewards do not scale linearly. Destroying one cruiser earns full reward. Destroying two cruisers earns about 0.85 x gross reward. For destroying three cruisers, 0.67 x gross reward. (These are estimates; actual scaling is not known.)
Diversity of activity is rewarded. For instance, a BB that camps at the back doing one task - shooting at long range - will earn less than the BB that accrues the same damage while shooting and also defending a capture point.
Achievements add hefty bonuses to the reward.
Finally, the Base XP rewards increase 50% for the winning team.

As has already been explained, XP from damage dealt is based of the % damage of the ship's total hitpoints and which tier the ship is. Likewise fire damage is percentage based of the ship's total hitpoints (0.3%/s IIRC), so you can farm high damage numbers BBQing battleships but it's not as useful nor as rewarding as damage to destroyers and cruisers.

So 49127 damage to the 66300 hit point Massachusetts is equivalent to 11411 damage to a 15400 HP Benson*.

Now I *don't* know for certain but my reading is that you could technically farm more XP and credits from ships with repair party than same tier counterparts without it.

From napkin maths most battleships using superintendent (for 5 charges) and the India Delta signal (0.6% heal for 28s) could effectively have 184% of their hit points if they're allowed to use their RP with maximum efficiency. But it would still be more time worthy and almost certainly better for your chances of winning to focus killing destroyers and cruisers in that time instead.

*Also I am a tad unsure if the extra HP from Survivability Expert technically allows you to very slightly nerf your opponent's XP and credit income... The mind truly boggles.

Edited by SoothingWhaleSongEU

[ALLY]
Members
368 posts
20,240 battles
53 minutes ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

If you want more $$$ shoot at ships with less health.

Hey Teddy,

I really like the Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville based lyrics you have posted.  Gave you a comp for it.

C130 signing out

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
32,042 posts
9,926 battles
3 hours ago, Crucis said:

No, it's because you did 100% of the damage to that 100k HP BB, as opposed to, say, 20% of the damage to each of 5 BBs.

Yeah, but assuming the BBs all have the same HP, doesn't 20x5=100?

[WOLFG]
Members
32,042 posts
9,926 battles
3 hours ago, Lert said:

..ship at a tier is worth an amount of XP. Regardless of what type of ship it is, DD, CL, CA, BB, CV. They're all worth the same. You get XP awarded based on the percentage of a target's health you remove. So doing 30k damage to a 35k CL earns you more than doing 30k to a 90k battleship. So spreading damage around leads to lesser XP awards.

Ok, but if, hypothetically, you did 20% damage to each of 5 Kremlin's, would you get the same taking 1 Kremlin down 100%? (not counting the kill bonus)

I just didn't think to interpret "5 different ships" as 5 non-similar ships. (slaps forehead)

Although now, when I think of it, wouldn't taking 20% of 5 DDs be better than 100% of a BB?

Edited by Skpstr

Members
173 posts
12,057 battles

The HMS Nelson has been one of my most reliable credit earners... Great ship if you don't have her already.

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
38,082 battles
4 hours ago, Skpstr said:

XP is calculated as a % of ships total HP. So if you whack a DD that has 20K HP you get way more XP thank doing 40K damage to a BB. You also get more XP for damaging higher tier opponents. 

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
10,938 battles
4 hours ago, megahugenoob said:

I believe xp is also dependent on percentage. 

Example: 2k damage on a 15k hp DD earns more than 5k damage dealt to a 70k hp BB.

@Taichunger beat me too it.

Edited by Cpt_Cupcake
Additional info

[O2]
Members
455 posts
10,034 battles
6 hours ago, Hercules_C130 said:

I really like the Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville based lyrics you have posted.  Gave you a comp for it.

Good catch. I didn't notice until you pointed it out. I guess I tend to skim over those as 95% of them are so pointless.

[--K--]
Supertester
1,457 posts
13,949 battles

A few things have already been touched upon such as shooting the lower tier ships and % based xp system. In general British ships do not take large chunks or dev strike enemies like other battleship lines or US/Soviet cruisers can with gunnery alone. Typically you whittle down enemies over time. 

The other thing is you don't play t10 to earn credits unless you have permanent camps or a bunch of disposable camos/flags. That actually was a decent match as you would have made money even without premium time. That's the bare minimum goal economy wise. 

Sign in to follow this