You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Jitta77

Why have there been NO Russian Black ships?

23 comments in this topic

[CAP]
Members
398 posts
16,872 battles

I do wonder why with all the Russian premium ships to date that we don't have any Russian black variants like a Slava B or something after 3 years of these deals.

• Cool 1

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,744 posts
12,356 battles

None of the Research Bureau ships have a Black version, and they probably shouldn't.

[WOLF5]
Members
84 posts
2,890 battles

11 of the 12 black ships are black versions of ships that actually existed in real life.  The 12th, Graf Zeppelin, was at least 95% completed in real life.

You get where I'm going with this, right?

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 1

[BIER]
Members
269 posts
10,413 battles

Because every Russian premium that got removed, is because they made them so OP that they can’t bring them back.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,067 posts
20,775 battles
17 minutes ago, KamiYanTouma said:

11 of the 12 black ships are black versions of ships that actually existed in real life.  The 12th, Graf Zeppelin, was at least 95% completed in real life.

You get where I'm going with this, right?

Could have Kutuzov B or Chapayev B. Kutuzov B would be opening a can of worms, but both her and Chapayev existed IRL.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,751 posts
4,272 battles
7 minutes ago, Lert said:

Could have Kutuzov B or Chapayev B. Kutuzov B would be opening a can of worms, but both her and Chapayev existed IRL.

Chappy isn't a premium though.

And yeah, Kutuzov would be a real big can of worms.

WG sells black versions of ships that are popular (though GZ doesn't make sense there). I don't think any of the Russian ships have been that popular in the major black friday markets (or at least the the non OP ones haven't). Though Kronstaht B and Lenin B would be possible I guess.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,067 posts
20,775 battles
3 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Though Kronstaht B and Lenin B would be possible I guess.

Lenin wasn't real though. Kron was laid down, I believe? But never finished.

<Edit> I want Black B or Friesland B.

Edited by Lert

[REVY]
Members
8,261 posts
6,118 battles
17 minutes ago, Lert said:

That's 2 Kutuzov B's too many...

[WOLF5]
Members
84 posts
2,890 battles
29 minutes ago, Lert said:

Like @AJTP89 said, Chapayev is a tech tree ship though, all the black ships are copies of premium ships.

I'm assuming future Black Friday ships (at least for the next year or 2) would continue to follow the formula of being copies of premium ships that were real/almost real at tier 7 or higher.  The only Soviet options that fit that requirement are Leningrad, Neustrashimy, Kutuzov, Stalingrad, and Kronshtadt (like Graf Zeppelin, not completed).

Neustrashimy was pulled for not being popular with steel so I don't know if it can follow the Jean Bart B path when it gets released for coal.  Kutuzov, Stalingrad, and Kronshtadt would open a can of worms, like you said.  Only realistic option I see here is Leningrad.

Edited by KamiYanTouma
Wording

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,718 posts
14,867 battles

Although only tier 5

58 minutes ago, Mister_Tanman said:

Because every Russian premium that got removed, is because they made them so OP that they can’t bring them back.

Although only tier 5 both Krasny Krym B and Okhotnik B would work and they were real ships

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,067 posts
20,775 battles
7 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Although only tier 5 both Krasny Krym B and Okhotnik B would work and they were real ships

Okhotnik was never real, IIRC. And Black ships are T7 ~ T9, though that's no guarantee that other tiers might feature, though T5 earns them a lot less money than T7 ~ T9.

[KIVA]
Members
154 posts

There was a real Okhotnik, but it wasn't as large or as well-armed as the in-game ship; she was a class leader, and participated in WWI. I think the premium is based on a later design proposal which never made it off the drawing board because the Tsar suffered a fatal case of revolutionitis.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,718 posts
14,867 battles
22 minutes ago, Lert said:

Okhotnik was never real, IIRC. And Black ships are T7 ~ T9, though that's no guarantee that other tiers might feature, though T5 earns them a lot less money than T7 ~ T9.

There was a real torpedo cruiser called the Oknotnik. The details are fuzzy but it did exist.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,067 posts
20,775 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

There was a real torpedo cruiser called the Oknotnik. The details are fuzzy but it did exist.

1905 Okhotnik:

Okhotnik1905-1917.jpg

In-game Okhotnik:

4cyFpen.jpg

Different ship.

Also, the description for the in-game one:

zytysS6.jpg

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,718 posts
14,867 battles
19 minutes ago, Lert said:

1905 Okhotnik:

Okhotnik1905-1917.jpg

In-game Okhotnik:

4cyFpen.jpg

Different ship.

Also, the description for the in-game one:

zytysS6.jpg

Like with all things Russian they took liberties particularly with the number of guns but being overloaded with torpedoes is correct.

Members
399 posts
26 battles

Before the announcement of Jean Bart B I thought the 2018 and 2019 B ships were basically a parade of some of the most successful but not problematic higher tier Premium Ships WG had to offer, they were either old favourites like Atago, Sims, Tirpiz and Scharnhorst; or they were the "successful" premiums of that year. They had been generally well received by CCs and the community and they were the ones that'd stick around without having been panic pulled from sale.

Graf Zepplin was the odd one out with it's troubled release.

Obviously my theory doesn't hold up this year with Jean Bart B and I don't think the announcement of the scheduled removal of sale of Massachusetts and Alaska exactly 2 weeks before Black Friday is mere coincidence.

Members
19 posts

The thing is, Lenin, Ochakov, Lazo and Bagration aren't popular at all, mostly because they're just ok/eh ships and not overpowered like the Massachusetts/Alaska or as strong as the Jean Bart/Cossack, and not as fun as the Atlanta/Kaga.
Even if they dropped the Kutuzov B next year, in the current state of the game i doubt the ship would be that popular either. (some people assume that smoking makes you indestructible, so maybe it would)