Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
groomsiebelle

Any of these Ultimate Upgrades worth grinding out by year end?

26 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

128
[RST]
Members
566 posts
11,929 battles

I have finished several of the Ultimate Upgrades, and will complete Moskva before end of year. There are 5 more that I could with effort complete probably 1 of.  Of the 5 listed, are there any that are thought to be worth pursuing? If yes, please chime in.  If you feel there are several of these worth pursuing, please comment as to why.

The upgrades I have missions for (after the new year I can get them obviously, but only via research bureau,, and yeah, not doing that):

  • Worcester
  • Grosser Kurfurst
  • Minotaur
  • Republique , and
  • Conqueror

I play DD, cruisers, and BBs about equally, but seem to do best in higher tier cruisers.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts and inputs.

Edited by groomsiebelle
Changed Richileu to Republique

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
110
[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
269 posts
8,297 battles

If you like to play closer in and like to secondary build the Grosser Kurfurst, then I would go for that UU. I use it on my GK. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,071
[WOLF3]
Members
29,581 posts
25,666 battles

Worcester's Legendary is terrible.  For a ship whose Radar range is gutted from a post-release nerf, the Legendary is pretty much useless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
315
[BB35]
Members
559 posts
4,610 battles

If you play GK has a secondary build, it's UU is worth it.

I have UU for the Hindenburg, I like it. GK's is very good for 2nd build. Republique is not worth it. Des Moines looks good, meed 7K base XP, should be done in less than a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
225
[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
612 posts
12,458 battles

Personally I completed all of my UU grinds. I may/may not mount them, but I have them just in case WG decides to make them worthwhile at some point.

Sitting in inventory doesn't cost anything. If I have to buy one now it's 20K RB points.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,373
[SALVO]
Members
26,051 posts
28,782 battles
39 minutes ago, groomsiebelle said:

I have finished several of the Ultimate Upgrades, and will complete Moskva before end of year. There are 5 more that I could with effort complete probably 1 of.  Of the 5 listed, are there any that are thought to be worth pursuing? If yes, please chime in.  If you feel there are several of these worth pursuing, please comment as to why.

The upgrades I have missions for (after the new year I can get them obviously, but only via research bureau,, and yeah, not doing that):

  • Worcester
  • Grosser Kurfurst
  • Minotaur
  • Richelieu, and
  • Conqueror

I play DD, cruisers, and BBs about equally, but seem to do best in higher tier cruisers.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts and inputs.

1. The Richelieu doesn't have a UU, but the Republique does.

2. I've completely the UU grinds on all tier 10's except the CVs and the Minotaur.  And I'll be completing the Mino's grind pretty soon, since I'm on the 5th stage and have earned 31k out of the 40k base XP required.

I should also note that I may not mount any of these UUs.  IMO, very few of the UUs for the original group of ships are worth mounting.

 

For the most part, I seriously dislike the entire UU design in this game.  I'd much rather that there was a 7th equipment slot specifically for special upgrades that would stack with all the other upgrades.  And I wish that there were roughly 4 special upgrade options for each type of ship that could be chosen.  This would create a lot more variety.  It'd also be good if none of these special upgrades were so good that they became "must have" choices.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,373
[SALVO]
Members
26,051 posts
28,782 battles
2 minutes ago, contag10n said:

Personally I completed all of my UU grinds. I may/may not mount them, but I have them just in case WG decides to make them worthwhile at some point.

Sitting in inventory doesn't cost anything. If I have to buy one now it's 20K RB points.

The sad part is that WG has rebalanced the old UU's, and yet many of them are still not worth mounting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
264 posts
23,490 battles

I have been grinding away on 6 of them just to get them - not really sure what they are worth (Gearing, Wooster, Hindy, GK, HV 4, Republique).  Funny thing is that I am cruising along with my Hindenburg's and just yesterday I checked - and already have a UU on my Hindenburg (even though i still have a mission for it).  They must have given one out some time ago and I didn't realize it - at least the silver is nice..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
641
[USN]
Members
1,479 posts
20,207 battles
54 minutes ago, groomsiebelle said:

Worcester

if you want to be a Radarbot, then yes. Otherwise reload mod is better

55 minutes ago, groomsiebelle said:

Grosser Kurfurst

if you want secondary fun, just get Massa, Georgia, and Ohio.

56 minutes ago, groomsiebelle said:

Minotaur

if you run Radar Mino: absolutely useless. When playing solo: eh. When in a division with a Worcester, Smolensk, DM, Haragumo, Colbert, and/or Haragumo with her UU: very yes

58 minutes ago, groomsiebelle said:

Richelieu

come on WG, please give us Republique guns with a Richelieu turret setup. I guess you meant Republique, so in that case: losing 7km of range is not worth an extra ~1.5sec faster reload, especially on a hull that melts under fire.

1 hour ago, groomsiebelle said:

Conqueror

if you want Conqueror's UU, just get Thunderer. Also grants you a soon to be rare Collectors item

Basically, the only UUs worth getting are probably DM's, HIV, Moskva's, Grozovoi's, Yamato's, Haragumo's, Midway's and Haku's. The others tend to not be chosen as they are in the wrong spot (Yueyang's, Khaba's,) provide poor bonuses compared to what you give up (Z-52, Kremlin, Daring) or are just straight up bad (Shima's, Kleber's, Monty's, Hindy's)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
160
[Y0L0W]
Members
321 posts
8,839 battles
35 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

or are just straight up bad (Shima's, Kleber's, Monty's, Hindy's)

Both Shima's and Hindy's UU's are viable. Shima's just pushes you towards more of a flanking position instead of cap contesting, but you can still do both with effectiveness. Hindy's UU is good for randoms as you'll be shooting the whole time anyway, so the concealment isn't that much of an issue. The Fire/flooding duration reduction makes you basically invulnerable to fires floods, which leaves your DCP available for more critical uses. The rudder buff also opens up the ability to do double rudder build or to take propulsion mod.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
128
[RST]
Members
566 posts
11,929 battles
3 hours ago, contag10n said:

Personally I completed all of my UU grinds. I may/may not mount them, but I have them just in case WG decides to make them worthwhile at some point.

Sitting in inventory doesn't cost anything. If I have to buy one now it's 20K RB points.

Yeah, having the upgrade is not the same as mounting it and I like having the option, but I'm also cognizant that I don't have time to do them all but 1 more (maybe 2 ) is very doable by end of year. Have to consider there will be a lot of other work to do to keep a player occupied (holiday event, snowflakes, etc).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
128
[RST]
Members
566 posts
11,929 battles
3 hours ago, Crucis said:

1. The Richelieu doesn't have a UU, but the Republique does.

2. I've completely the UU grinds on all tier 10's except the CVs and the Minotaur.  And I'll be completing the Mino's grind pretty soon, since I'm on the 5th stage and have earned 31k out of the 40k base XP required.

I should also note that I may not mount any of these UUs.  IMO, very few of the UUs for the original group of ships are worth mounting.

 

For the most part, I seriously dislike the entire UU design in this game.  I'd much rather that there was a 7th equipment slot specifically for special upgrades that would stack with all the other upgrades.  And I wish that there were roughly 4 special upgrade options for each type of ship that could be chosen.  This would create a lot more variety.  It'd also be good if none of these special upgrades were so good that they became "must have" choices.

 

Thanks @Crucis I mistyped Richilieu and meant Republique; I've edited my original post to reflect that now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,520
[KIA-C]
Members
3,627 posts
16,088 battles

I guess Mino leg is good if you want to make a smoke nation for your div mate. But that's about it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
374
[-GOD-]
[-GOD-]
Members
1,359 posts

IMO no, not worth the time and effort, ground out the one for the Monty and then they nerfed it into imo uselessness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,071
[WOLF3]
Members
29,581 posts
25,666 battles
1 minute ago, Rothgar_57 said:

Conquerors is pretty good.

Fun fact:  A lot of Thunderer's stats are what you get if Conqueror equipped her Legendary:  Rudder Shift Time and Turret Traverse Times.

The kicker is that Conqueror has to sacrifice CSM1 (Concealment module) in Slot 5 to equip her Legendary.  Since Thunderer has "Conqueror Legendary Built In" to her, she can still mount CSM1 upgrade that Conqueror can't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,082
[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,140 posts
11,186 battles

I run Worcester's UU, and I like the boost to consumable numbers. 

I also want to comment on the Minotaur. There is an alternate build for smoke Minotaur that uses the UU with smoke mod 1 in slot 3, and it functionally makes Minotaur into a crawling smoke ship. If you like that kind of playstyle, then you should consider going for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,071
[WOLF3]
Members
29,581 posts
25,666 battles
4 hours ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

I also want to comment on the Minotaur. There is an alternate build for smoke Minotaur that uses the UU with smoke mod 1 in slot 3, and it functionally makes Minotaur into a crawling smoke ship. If you like that kind of playstyle, then you should consider going for it.

I haven't tried that, but it does sound interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
526
[CMFRT]
Modder
986 posts
2,392 battles

I would get Mino for the ability to just barf smoke for about a minute at a time, and use it as a psuedo-crawling smoke ships and Conqueror, because even though Thunderer has it built in Conqueror has a drydock in its pocket and that makes it play slightly differently than Thunderer. Maybe GK, but the normal seconday module in that slot is better for a pure secondary build so thats sorta marginal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,099
[4HIM]
Members
3,244 posts
14,608 battles
15 hours ago, contag10n said:

Personally I completed all of my UU grinds. I may/may not mount them, but I have them just in case WG decides to make them worthwhile at some point.

Sitting in inventory doesn't cost anything. If I have to buy one now it's 20K RB points.

Pretty much what I did.  As they are now, they're pretty much useless.  But ground them out in case WG decides to make them useful once again.  I'd personally try to grind out as many as I could just in case.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
677
[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,268 posts

The Upgrades at that level are not worth it to me I think I paid 19K coal to try a upgrade to a smoke, found I will have to give up aiming module and there was no apparent impact in game to the use of smoke. In other words wasted purchase. I wont be getting anymore of those. Part of the problem is even if you used smoke, you need to do it before you are spotted so that the nerfed no detect system will time out and you will truly be undetectable provided all other conditions are true (Such as not having a enemy inside your gun inside smoke radius etc) If you saw the enemy, used smoke and got stopped inside, you will find that even if you are inside smoke and slowing down, the enemy will get in a few good hits which will cost you later.

Edited by xHeavy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,295
[WOLFG]
Members
31,971 posts
9,887 battles
18 hours ago, Crucis said:

For the most part, I seriously dislike the entire UU design in this game.  I'd much rather that there was a 7th equipment slot specifically for special upgrades that would stack with all the other upgrades.  And I wish that there were roughly 4 special upgrade options for each type of ship that could be chosen.  This would create a lot more variety. 

IMO, that idea would have been great previously, when it was just a matter of grinding the ship it was for.

Now that they're in the RB though, it just seems like that's too similar to the original RB iteration that brought out the torches and pitchforks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,373
[SALVO]
Members
26,051 posts
28,782 battles
4 hours ago, Skpstr said:

IMO, that idea would have been great previously, when it was just a matter of grinding the ship it was for.

Now that they're in the RB though, it just seems like that's too similar to the original RB iteration that brought out the torches and pitchforks.

Skpstr, I am of a split opinion on this.  I don't particularly like grinding the specific ships.  It's boring as all hell.  OTOH, I don't really like the RB either.  And regrinding an entire (doubled) line just to get a single UU isn't very appealing, particularly when so many of the UUs are very unappealing.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×