Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Usedcarjock

Salem or Marceau

23 comments in this topic

[-TKS-]
Members
1,282 posts
10,186 battles

Just made enough coal to purchase either Salem or Marceau. I play both American Cruisers and French DDs. I’ll probably end up getting both ships at some point. With that being said, what are the pros/cons to each and what would you recommend?

[BIG-7]
Beta Testers
404 posts
13,104 battles

i like my Salem.  Slightly different from DM.  Fun to play.

I hate my Marceau.  I wish I didnt buy it.  I like DD's, and dont mind no smoke, but I cant do anything right in this ship.  No damage, no spotting, not cap's etc.  Maybe its just me, but I would go with the Salem.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,990 posts
17,004 battles

When I first got the Salem way back in 2018, she was my ticket into Tier 10 play (especially in co-op) that I could afford without necessarily having to run premium time or find the doubloons for a permacamo. However, if you've got that aspect covered and you already have the Des Moines, the only thing Salem has that DM hasn't is a significantly better heal. She also lacks the DM's Unique Upgrade.

If you have the Des Moines and you are running her happily without any credit problems, you can get the Marceau first and not shed too many tears if for some odd reason they pulled the Salem at short notice. However, Marceau requires you to be comfortable with high-tier French DD play from the top of your head to the tips of your toes. If that isn't you, think VERY carefully before throwing coal at her.

For sure I'm no DD unicum to be giving that advice, but I do know my limitations - and for me, the Marceau currently sits well on the other side of the dividing line that separates intact potatoes from cut fries.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[O2]
Members
452 posts
10,033 battles

I have none of them. But I have noticed that Marceau players tend to die early in games. I have way more respect for a Salem driver than a Marceau driver. Salem drivers seem more serious about the game. Totally unscientific statements, but this is the best I can do!

[PVE]
Members
10,880 posts
18,764 battles

The Marceau is the only coal ship that I don't have and will have the coal for it soon but I am hoping that a new coal  ship comes out first.

[COSTA]
Members
219 posts
7,481 battles

These are my next 2 coal ship choices.  I’m going for Marceau as its play style is more different from Kleber than Salem is from Des Moines.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,913 posts
18,081 battles

Got them both. Both are fun in their own ways.

Salem with its super heal can make brawling a little more forgiving. A bow in Salem can be a tough customer for other cruisers. Especially with the MBR selected.

Not only that but she has one of the better baked in discounts with exchange credits and service costs. As long as it isn’t a horrible game you can even show positive with exchange credits in Coop.

Marceau is a fun boat to skip across the waves making life annoying for other ships. Like it’s sibling the Kleber, if trouble is near. Just hit speed boost and watch a lot of shells flying towards you land harmlessly behind you lol. Where the Marceau lacks in alpha damage with MB compared to the Kleber. With practice you can go the DPM route and a stealthier concealment. She can actually stealth torp.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
744 posts
10,061 battles
1 minute ago, Swervenkill said:

I think I got up to 55 knots in the Marceau. I do die early and often in it.

But are you having fun while doing it?    
Legitimate question.

[CUDA]
Members
261 posts
7,830 battles
Just now, Altwar said:

But are you having fun while doing it?    
Legitimate question.

Yes, always a blast. It's a fire hose with decent torpedoes. I play in a division with a destroyer having smoke and that works pretty good until the radar goes on.

• Thanks 1

[-TKS-]
Members
1,282 posts
10,186 battles

Ended up getting Salem. First game didn’t go so well but I was tilted at the time so I blame it on that.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,557 posts
4,771 battles
2 hours ago, Toxygene said:

I have none of them. But I have noticed that Marceau players tend to die early in games. I have way more respect for a Salem driver than a Marceau driver. Salem drivers seem more serious about the game. Totally unscientific statements, but this is the best I can do!

An interesting observation.  Salem can hurt you bad, too, even in a BB.

OP: Salem gets my vote.  Oh, I see it got yours.  Are you used to using terrain?  Stay well away from Kremlin unless you have an island blocker.  Don't forget to use hydro and radar.

Edited by iDuckman

[ARCO]
Members
930 posts
1,324 battles

Marceau is an Smolensk on a Kleber hull. A continous rain of fire but with slow parabolic US DD shells. It can shred any enemy DD if you can get close enough. 9km torps with 3min reload.

Members
629 posts
12,597 battles
5 hours ago, _Guest_ said:

i like my Salem.  Slightly different from DM.  Fun to play.

I hate my Marceau.  I wish I didnt buy it.  I like DD's, and dont mind no smoke, but I cant do anything right in this ship.  No damage, no spotting, not cap's etc.  Maybe its just me, but I would go with the Salem.

Agree. Wish I had gotten salem or thunderer or anything else.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,282 posts
10,186 battles

Only issue I can see with Salem isn’t exactly a problem with the ship itself, rather the influx of 457 mm Gun armed BBs that don’t care about angling.

[T_O_P]
Members
504 posts

I am waiting for the discount coupon to renew in 20 days, and then I'm getting Marceau. I could get her now, but why to waste the 59k coal when I'd rather use it toward another ship! GEORGIA is getting removed soon, so I'll get that next. I'm very close.

• Cool 1

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
674 posts
12,694 battles
6 hours ago, Usedcarjock said:

Just made enough coal to purchase either Salem or Marceau. I play both American Cruisers and French DDs. I’ll probably end up getting both ships at some point. With that being said, what are the pros/cons to each and what would you recommend?

i really like Marceau i think i plays better then sister ship.

[EGO]
Banned
4,105 posts
15,592 battles
1 hour ago, Usedcarjock said:

Only issue I can see with Salem isn’t exactly a problem with the ship itself, rather the influx of 457 mm Gun armed BBs that don’t care about angling.

This is the issue.

‘the explosion of ships with 457mm guns has rendered the Salem’s heal almost useless.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,990 posts
17,004 battles
5 hours ago, Usedcarjock said:

Ended up getting Salem. First game didn’t go so well but I was tilted at the time so I blame it on that.

Wait till you brawl a Yamato in co-op at near-suicide range and blow his citadel out through the cheek. That's a very good feeling. Broadside bot Yoshinos die real quick at close range too.

[SIM]
Members
5,741 posts
9,263 battles
17 hours ago, Usedcarjock said:

Salem is a dedicated island humper at this point, using terrain to shelter from huge guns even if it means exposing the ship to smaller guns from a different angle. For what it’s worth, I also would have gone with Salem over Marceau, and I hope that she serves you well.

[--K--]
Supertester
1,447 posts
13,891 battles
20 hours ago, iDuckman said:

An interesting observation.  Salem can hurt you bad, too, even in a BB.

OP: Salem gets my vote.  Oh, I see it got yours.  Are you used to using terrain?  Stay well away from Kremlin unless you have an island blocker.  Don't forget to use hydro and radar.

You get Def AA and a choice between Radar or Hyrdo. 

Sign in to follow this