You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

"Blaga!"

11 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
22,990 posts
17,004 battles

Kaga Black. No modules? No captain skills? No problems.

This is the story of how a quick Co-op shakedown cruise turned into a 95,000 HP orgy of death-dealing and damage farming.

If you were considering getting the Kaga, the Black version offers the same capability at a significantly lower price - but until the 2020 Black Friday sale ends (on or about Thursday 3 December 2020, IIRC). I found that to buy it in the Premium Shop was cheaper than getting it in the Armory for Doubloons, but do your due diligence and consider your circumstances; if you already have many thousands of dubs lying around, getting her through the Armory may suit your purposes better.

It is worth reiterating that the Kaga is the only IJN carrier with high explosive bombs, and that she has a somewhat different and interesting playstyle. I had already won a couple of 24 hour rental periods in-game and knew what I was letting myself in for, but do your research before picking her up!

Also... the bonus doubloon mission that you get to go with her is meant to compensate players who already have the original and then pick this one up, or who decide they want two copies of the same ship specced differently - if you don't have the original, you can't do that mission!

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
612 posts
12,458 battles

Grats on the purchase. 

CVs aren't my thing, but glad you were able to get her.

Nice game too

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts

I prefer to initially scout using Kaga's TB planes, dropping one flight as soon as possible. I chose those because you can boost much longer with them so overall they are as fast on average as her other two aircraft types. 

Also early on if you got a lot of AA after you, drop a flight on every launch until you at least are 1/3rd of the way through the match. This allows you to propagate the illusion Kaga has unlimited aircraft. :cap_haloween:

• Funny 1

[CLUMP]
Members
1,404 posts
1,871 battles

So from a person that has the Kaga, it's basically the same other than it's black :Smile_hiding: Also I was under the impression  @Ensign_Cthulhu was a lot older for some odd reason :Smile_amazed:

Edited by LastRemnant

[ARGSY]
Members
22,990 posts
17,004 battles
3 hours ago, LastRemnant said:

So from a person that has the Kaga, it's basically the same other than it's black :Smile_hiding: Also I was under the impression  @Ensign_Cthulhu was a lot older for some odd reason :Smile_amazed:

I am but a callow youth of forty-nine. :Smile_child:

• Thanks 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts
3 hours ago, LastRemnant said:

Well yea, I have one, and yes, it's exactly the same except for the perma-black-camo AND if you own the original Kaga with the non-black-perma-camo, you can get 2,500 Db added to your account if / when you complete the special mission IF YOU OWN BOTH. 

Which essentially gets you the black one for roughly 50% off the current original Kaga. 

However everyone please note: you must own both in order to complete the mission for the 2,500 Db. 

@Ensign_Cthulhu is almost at the top of a hill that starts going down nearly vertically. It is amazing how fast you get from 50 to 60, 65 then lookout Jessie! 

• Cool 1

[CLUMP]
Members
1,404 posts
1,871 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Well you don't sound like it you sound like someone that's in his early 20s :Smile_unsure:  Maybe it's just me :Smile_hiding: 

1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Well yea, I have one, and yes, it's exactly the same except for the perma-black-camo AND if you own the original Kaga with the non-black-perma-camo, you can get 2,500 Db added to your account if / when you complete the special mission IF YOU OWN BOTH. 

Which essentially gets you the black one for roughly 50% off the current original Kaga. 

However everyone please note: you must own both in order to complete the mission for the 2,500 Db. 

@Ensign_Cthulhu is almost at the top of a hill that starts going down nearly vertically. It is amazing how fast you get from 50 to 60, 65 then lookout Jessie! 

I don't get the reason for having both versions of the ships in my opinion  :Smile_hiding: I have original Kaga don't see the reason why should get exact same ship it's just different color :Smile_popcorn:

Edited by LastRemnant

[ALLY]
Members
365 posts
20,183 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Why your still wet behind the ears, a spring chicken, and I have underwear older than you (not really) young compared to this 55 year old!  Oh I can also yell at you to get off my lawn!  Hopefully you enjoyed the euphemisms.

C130 signing out

[ARGSY]
Members
22,990 posts
17,004 battles
44 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

I don't get the reason for having both versions of the ships in my opinion

I'm sure some carrier unicum somewhere could defend building the Kaga and her captain in two different ways (e.g. emphasizing stealth with the torpedo planes vs some other build for different purposes).

The only CV I can think of that really DOES benefit from two different builds is Graf Zeppelin vs. GZ Black, building one as a carrier with full emphasis on modules which enhance the air group, and the other as the pure meme secondary beast.

The same could arguably be claimed for Jean Bart, Massachusetts, Scharnhorst and Tirpitz. I know Massa more or less exists for her secondaries, but all four of them could also easily be built as "regular" battleships. This is most especially the case for Jean Bart, as she has the option of secondary or main battery focused modules in slot six, something the others don't have.

All this only applies if you find yourself constantly either tearing down modules and putting others on, or wishing you had enough credits/dubs to do so on a regular basis. A far proportion of players probably can't justify completely rearranging their ships like this on a regular basis and indeed have no need to deliberately acquire both.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts
50 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

All this only applies if you find yourself constantly either tearing down modules and putting others on, or wishing you had enough credits/dubs to do so on a regular basis.

I only do this once about every six months on only a couple of ships - if/when the game play feels a bit stale. For example, I took my GK out past couple days, hadn't played her in a good long while. OMG she's a bigger parking lot than I remember. 

My memory of her was a lot faster, better at turns and slow but not pitifully so when giving her the beans. She's none of that now. So my memories are probably all wrong, but a ship like her, I'll mess around with a couple of settings, see what happens. 

But on a regular basis, nah, I don't really have any ship I want to config two ways. 

The only other reason I could see doing this would be if you get sunk early but want to play Kaga, hey, you got another one, just jump in her and off you go. 

I did as some others had suggested here: I went for the annual Humble Bundle special ($99) instead of an annual script. I have to say, I found BF deals here, well... weak. But that's imo. 

[RKLES]
Members
964 posts

Winning in COOP and bragging about it.

Can it be like,  seducing a sex doll and tell your best friend.

Please, just don't.

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1