Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Jagdhund1

Stealing kills

24 comments in this topic

[1230]
Members
46 posts
11,535 battles

Is there such a thing as STEALING KILLS?

It seems to me that the primary goal is for the team to win regardless of your individual score.

It seems to me that if you don't shoot at a target just because  someone else is shooting you run the risk of loosing the battle.

There have been many times when i have almost sunk a target when a DD takes the kill with his torps.

That's ok because there may come a time when i need the help for the team to win and it would be unrealistic to stop and ask permission.

Even if you don't get the kill if you have numerous target hits you will still get a good team score.

• Thanks 2

[WOLFG]
Members
31,956 posts
9,887 battles

Agreed. And assuming you just play normally, you'll have as many kills "stolen" from you as you "steal" from others.

• Thanks 1

[RYZIN]
Beta Testers
40 posts

Lol there is when there are events going on with kill directives. I'm betting coop mains are not happy right now with all the random players flooding coop for guaranteed kills. I have seen it a few times last night while working on black friday crates. Seen guys behind me while I'm  knife fightling a dd or cruiser in my dd and once he is down to less that 2000 hp I see shots coming in at them from all over the map. Just part of the game. Use to get aggravated about it  but don't think about it anymore. Always going to happen so just go on to the next game when it happens.

[USCG]
Members
737 posts
22,533 battles

I shoot till everyone is dead. I’d hope you’d do the same...

Sometimes it’s frustrating (especially now with a required kill mission) but the way I look at it, if the enemy ship gets one more volley of shells/torps off that could make a difference to the outcome. 

So by all means, shoot away!

[SALVO]
Members
2,993 posts
6,995 battles
12 minutes ago, Jagdhund1 said:

No !  However if we are in a complete advantaged position like 6 ships up and 2 caps and there is no way the enemy will win.  Then I might hold my shots so that someone else can get a Kraken on the last ship. 

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 1

[VOP]
Members
939 posts
6 minutes ago, Jagdhund1 said:

It seems to me that the primary goal is for the team to win regardless of your individual score.

It seems to me that if you don't shoot at a target just because  someone else is shooting you run the risk of loosing the battle.

There have been many times when i have almost sunk a target when a DD takes the kill with his torps.

That's ok because there may come a time when i need the help for the team to win and it would be unrealistic to stop and ask permission.

Even if you don't get the kill if you have numerous target hits you will still get a good team score.

I define kill stealing as sitting back, observing the battle and holding fire for extremely low health targets. The player then fires to secure the kill. The player does a rinse and repeat. This does not help the team since that player could be doing damage the entire time. If a player is blazing away at a target along with others, whoever's ordnance lands gets the kill and is fair game. If I am slugging it out with an enemy near death, I can't always count on my guns reloading in time or RNG not screwing me with shatters and ricochets. I am grateful others took that shot and saved my hash.

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,736 posts
12,346 battles

No. I’ve seen games lost because of politeness and ships start repairing. 

• Cool 2

[-HEL-]
Members
198 posts
6,921 battles

Players who whine about kill stealing are the players that don't care about winning matches and get the bonus XP from winning, or are just trying to pad stats.  The amount of extra XP for getting a kill doesn't compare to the amount of XP earned for smacking a ship for 3/4 of it's health, especially if it was a higher tier ship.  The goal is to work together to remove enemy guns from play and win.  I'll get annoyed if I've done most of the damage to a target and I actually have shots out on said target and someone else gets the kill, since that was a salvo I wasted that could've been used against something else (especially as a BB main).  I play to win.  If I have a shot on a low health DD or HE spammer, I'm taking it as that removes either a key ship from play or a nuisance from play.  I'm pretty sure you would never hear someone whining about kill stealing the enemy CV.

[1230]
Members
46 posts
11,535 battles

Good. It seems that everyone agrees with me. I NEVER play back and usually when i get whacked in a battle

it is almost always because i am too far forward.

Thanks for all everyone's input

Members
62 posts
254 battles

Best to terminate asap regardless of who gets a kill.

Especially those ships that have super heals that can print back a huge portion of their ship in a short amount of time.

[PHD]
Members
1,797 posts
7,229 battles

Rather par for the course in something like the Asashio. Unless you are really close you will not get enough saturation to kill and often someone else gets the kill before my torps have reloaded, or the second set has gotten there.

About the same with BB shells at long range.

But I have gotten a kill with a 850hp hit with 127mm guns too.

If someone needs a kill or secondary hits and I don't and it will not create a loss I am fine with letting them have it.  (PvE player here)

[YORHA]
Members
5,260 posts
10,434 battles

Where it IS kill stealing is a situation where it is obvious there are several ships focusing on one low health target just to get the kill while ignoring more important targets that are in range and need to be dealt with.  But everyone wants that kill...

[WOLFG]
Members
1,042 posts
1 hour ago, Airjellyfish said:

I define kill stealing as sitting back, observing the battle and holding fire for extremely low health targets. The player then fires to secure the kill. The player does a rinse and repeat. 

I will add...this is kill stealing in COOP, which is where most this goes on.  And, yes it is stealing.  In Randoms, I don't care who kills it, just kill it and the faster the better.

[VOP]
Members
939 posts
6 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

I will add...this is kill stealing in COOP, which is where most this goes on.  And, yes it is stealing.  In Randoms, I don't care who kills it, just kill it and the faster the better.

So, you prefer the player to just keep holding his fire in randoms and not contributing damage until that player can guarantee a kill? Seems like a waste of firepower. Nothing is getting killed faster if the player is not firing in either game mode.

[O2]
Members
452 posts
10,033 battles

No. Wows is an online game of two teams trying to sink each other and red team always wins in 51% of ames (slightly re-written Gary Lineker quote).

[PPNA2]
Members
522 posts
7,040 battles

I think it as sealing the deal. I can take 95 % of up and someone gets the last 5% it's ok. Just get them off the board. 

[CO-OP]
Members
2,641 posts
27,740 battles
23 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

I haven't seen this in co-op (it may have occurred, but not to an extent that I noticed.) 

But to the OP, you fire on a ship until it is dead.  Often you focus on the low health ships because they are the easiest to kill, so if everyone is firing on it sometimes you might think it is kill-stealing when in reality it is just ending an enemy threat.

[HINON]
Members
8,630 posts
12,554 battles

i tell everyone that accuses me of kill stealing the same thing "show me where it said "this ship can only be killed by insert username here" on that ship" that either shuts them up or they try and TK me, either way i come out on top

Edited by tcbaker777

[DOINK]
Members
41 posts
14,914 battles

I don't worry about people "stealing" my kill. If I've been hammering away on a target and causing massive amounts of damage, I don't really mind somebody else delivering the kill shot. The stats will have me at the top of the team and he'll be at the bottom. I shoot at any target that is available to me when my guns are loaded. I don't care if he's almost dead. If my guns are ready and pointing in his direction, I'll delete him.

[WPORT]
Members
7,796 posts
12,862 battles
4 hours ago, Jagdhund1 said:

The objective is to sink opposing ships and capture areas to win the match.

4 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Agreed. And assuming you just play normally, you'll have as many kills "stolen" from you as you "steal" from others.

Yep, it all is for the good of the team's efforts.

4 hours ago, eviltane said:

No !  However if we are in a complete advantaged position like 6 ships up and 2 caps and there is no way the enemy will win.  Then I might hold my shots so that someone else can get a Kraken on the last ship. 

@eviltane and I have had our differences of opinions, but it seems we agree on this issue.

Unless specific teams chat about something and agree to it, then the normal procedure is to sink opposing ships as soon as possible and in the most efficient manner to win the match.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,259 posts

Its all in the timing.

The enemy is good as dead anyway with sufficient firepower applied to them by your side. Someone is going to get credit.

The problem with WeeGee is they do not make assist ribbions or award a something in XP for kill assist. Many other online games do so and if someone got a kill when you took away a opponet's 95% health? Alls well.

As far as kill steal its not really a think. If a torps set from me gets to the BB or whatever by the time you finish reloading on that last little bit well.. better luck next time. Remember its not intentional. We all want the win and that means sinking ships.

Once in a great while in random or in scenarios you got someone sit there quietly for two minutes while you whittle some enemy down, then he fires once ribbion goes to him. Thats a real problem because there are scoring in scenarios more weighted to that ribbion.

Sometimes you are good as dead yourself. Piles of damage waiting on repair or whatever. The teammate that sinks the one or more enemies fixing to do same to you is the one you will thank. Or not. Your choice.

Banned
1,424 posts
6,083 battles

There is one instance where I'd consider kill steal: when the guy holds his fire until the enemy is very close to dying to get the last bit of damage and the kill.

Other than that, if I fighting someone and you have the opportunity to deal the last 1% of damage, do it, cuz a 1% ship is still capable of delivering a devastating blow to someone.

Few days ago I dealt 99.9% of damage to a CV and begged others to take the kill. They didn't. Then, our own CV wouldn't go after the enemy CV and spot or kill it. The enemy CV obliterated our team because of thar horrible mistake.

Sign in to follow this