You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
sporkhead

Is Jean Bart the play for me?

16 comments in this topic

[CAAT]
Beta Testers
47 posts
3,809 battles

Hey All,

I'm a BB main (mainly USN but I 'm going down all the lines right now). My favorite ships are the Massa and Georgia but I've heard amazing things about the JB and was thinking about picking one up . My only concern is that I'll dislike the thing because it's such a different playstyle than a typical BB (however, that could be a reason to buy one). The low caliber guns kinda scare me but I'm a good shot and can take advantage of the reload booster and broadsides. And credits aren't a huge problem, so that's not a factor. Anyone have any tips to help me make this decision?

Cheers and thanks in advance,

Spork

[REVY]
Members
8,261 posts
6,118 battles
1 minute ago, sporkhead said:

Hey All,

I'm a BB main (mainly USN but I 'm going down all the lines right now). My favorite ships are the Massa and Georgia but I've heard amazing things about the JB and was thinking about picking one up . My only concern is that I'll dislike the thing because it's such a different playstyle than a typical BB (however, that could be a reason to buy one). The low caliber guns kinda scare me but I'm a good shot and can take advantage of the reload booster and broadsides. And credits aren't a huge problem, so that's not a factor. Anyone have any tips to help me make this decision?

Spork

This one is a replay of my second ever battle with the ship, it netted me a Kraken.

[-BUI-]
Members
2,546 posts
6,812 battles

Two things I have to say about Jean Bart, because personally, I don't much like it.

1:  Don't bother shooting AP at anything not giving you at least 60 degrees of broadside, you will bounce.    I mostly just spam HE with it when I do play it, because the AP is so worthless against any angled ships.

2:  Your guns will get destroyed, a lot.   If anyone who knows shoots at your deck while you're bow in, expect to lose a gun, if a keeps happening, expect the gun to permanently break.   

If you can find broadsides to pop that reload booster and farm, more power to you, every time I've taken the ship out, everyone just points their nose at me and I'm forced to use HE and do very little.

• Meh 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,446 posts
22,652 battles

Regrinding RU dd lines.

In mu Udoloi this morning.

4 JB , 3 of them blacks, in match....

3 didn't know how to play the ship.

Don't worry about low caliber guns, pen is great.

Push a flank.

Hug an island.

Bow tank.

Push in when you crush them.

If need be, reverse out and flex .....

JB is a Phenomenal battleship. 

2 musts:

MAM1 & PM....

Your guns are in the front and everyone likes to shoot them....

So far only 2 matches have I lost both turrets...

JUST BUY HER.

[CAAT]
Beta Testers
47 posts
3,809 battles
28 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Two things I have to say about Jean Bart, because personally, I don't much like it.

1:  Don't bother shooting AP at anything not giving you at least 60 degrees of broadside, you will bounce.    I mostly just spam HE with it when I do play it, because the AP is so worthless against any angled ships.

2:  Your guns will get destroyed, a lot.   If anyone who knows shoots at your deck while you're bow in, expect to lose a gun, if a keeps happening, expect the gun to permanently break.   

If you can find broadsides to pop that reload booster and farm, more power to you, every time I've taken the ship out, everyone just points their nose at me and I'm forced to use HE and do very little.

Huh, I've never heard anything about her. Thanks for the input!

5 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

JUST BUY HER.

Sounds different enough that I might be willing to open the wallet. Thanks.

[REVY]
Members
8,261 posts
6,118 battles
7 minutes ago, Singularity_invader said:

Jean Bart is an up-tiered Richelieu, just FYI.

She's a Richelieu class Battleship, but she's been upgraded for Tier IX.

Members
5,610 posts
10,863 battles

Love the JB - reload booster makes it more fun than just about any BB I have.  I shoot AP 99.999% of the time and shoot for the superstructure of they are angled.  Inevitably when I switch to HE the ship turns and I need AP.  Can do plenty of damage with AP./  I love going toward a ship, start to turn away, t hen cut the engine and turn hard toward the side.  Shoot into the broadside, hit the reload booster, and blap them 2 more times.

• Cool 1

[CDOH]
Members
716 posts
7,922 battles

Its the BB version of Des Moines.  You cannot bow tank in this ship against multiple opponents.  Use island to split the battle field.  use the Speed boost to push into tactical locations.  Use reload booster to punish broadsides.    The key to good damage is timing the reload booster.  Once you learn how to time the reload booster and make them count the ship is very powerful.  Use HE on bow in targets.   Sometimes the Dispersion is trolly.

I don't think its as OP as well played Georgia but its a very strong ship. 

I would not go secondary on this ship.  go full tank build.

• Cool 1

[CDOH]
Members
716 posts
7,922 battles
19 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

Love the JB - reload booster makes it more fun than just about any BB I have.  I shoot AP 99.999% of the time and shoot for the superstructure of they are angled.  Inevitably when I switch to HE the ship turns and I need AP.  Can do plenty of damage with AP./  I love going toward a ship, start to turn away, t hen cut the engine and turn hard toward the side.  Shoot into the broadside, hit the reload booster, and blap them 2 more times.

This is actually a very good tactic.  I have done this with JB and it works very well.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,446 posts
22,652 battles
19 hours ago, sporkhead said:

Huh, I've never heard anything about her. Thanks for the input!

Sounds different enough that I might be willing to open the wallet. Thanks.

Her AP pen is very good.

I've bow tank Muslhi by breaking her turrets. 

[WOLF3]
Members
29,589 posts
25,666 battles

Feel free to look up Jean Bart's performance compared to every other Tier IX Battleship and see as clear as day why WG pulled her.  Popular?  Yes.  But she was also murderous.  The only Tier IX BB that exceeded Jean Bart's performance is Tier IX Musashi, and that ship is broken as it's really a Tier X wolf masquerading with sheep's clothing for Tier IX.

Jean Bart is a potent ship in Tier IX.  If you do not get her this time around and you never had her regular version from before, you'll regret missing out on her.

That's a guarantee.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WPORT]
Members
7,836 posts
12,891 battles
20 hours ago, sporkhead said:

Hey All,

Spork

Jean Bart is fun to play, especially as a dynamic and maneuvering Battleship with the intent of wreaking havoc.
She has an excellent suite of consumables.
And with a good Captain and the proper skills, she can shine.
Getting the "Tuxedo" version of Jean Bart is worthwhile, in my opinion.

I got the "normal" Jean Bart before she was pulled from the premium shop & armory.  Gud 'Bote.  Fun 'Bote.  

Sail boldly!  :-)