You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Girlz_Day

Black Friday Combat mission glitch

46 comments in this topic

Members
264 posts
5,754 battles

I got the Kaga B and the BF mission that came with the ship.  Says to win five battles to get the 2,500 reward.  I won my first battle in Kaga B and it did not register with the mission, says I still need five wins!  How do I collect the 2,500 if the mission is not registering my wins in the Kaga B!?!?

Girl Screams.gif

• Meh 2

[O_O]
Members
6,958 posts
16,813 battles
5 minutes ago, Girlz_Day said:

I got the Kaga B and the BF mission that came with the ship.  Says to win five battles to get the 2,500 reward.  I won my first battle in Kaga B and it did not register with the mission, says I still need five wins!  How do I collect the 2,500 if the mission is not registering my wins in the Kaga B!?!?

Because that mission is not for Kaga B.  That mission is for Kaga.  If you have the original ship, also, you can earn that 2,500 doubloons.

Also @BlackCat1966

Edited by desmo_2

[WPORT]
Members
7,824 posts
12,885 battles

The "fine print" of the wording of the mission and the black ships......

Black Ships provide a mission for their "normal" counterparts.

If you have Kaga, and then get Kaga-B, you get a mission that Kaga "normal" can do.  Win 5 battles and gain 2,500 doubloons (if I recall correctly).

Problem is if a player has a "Black Ship" and not the corresponding "normal" ship.  The mission becomes a non-starter.

I learned this with Scharnhorst-B, when I got it in a crate a year or two ago.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
855 posts
7,079 battles

No wonder my teacher relatives and friends pound their heads against the wall.  IDIOCRACY

• Meh 3

Members
264 posts
5,754 battles
10 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The "fine print" of the wording of the mission and the black ships......

Black Ships provide a mission for their "normal" counterparts.

If you have Kaga, and then get Kaga-B, you get a mission that Kaga "normal" can do.  Win 5 battles and gain 2,500 doubloons (if I recall correctly).

Problem is if a player has a "Black Ship" and not the corresponding "normal" ship.  The mission becomes a non-starter.

I learned this with Scharnhorst-B, when I got it in a crate a year or two ago.

Why would you include a mission for ANOTHER ship with the package for the one you are buying?  Then why not sell a Yamato with a mission for a Kongo....assuming you have a Kongo....

• Meh 1

[ABCD3]
Members
512 posts
14,192 battles
18 minutes ago, Girlz_Day said:

Girl Screams.gif

Beauty and a Beast?

Do not want to use the other B word.

[ABCD3]
Members
512 posts
14,192 battles

Do you both have the Vanilla version of that ship?  It is for that.   

[WPORT]
Members
7,824 posts
12,885 battles
1 minute ago, Girlz_Day said:

Why would you include a mission for ANOTHER ship with the package for the one you are buying?  Then why not sell a Yamato with a mission for a Kongo....assuming you have a Kongo....

As a fellow player, like yourself, I hear what you're saying.

I suggest directing your questions & feedback to actual WOWs community representatives, such as @Hapa_Fodder or @Mademoisail.

[HINON]
Members
13,979 posts
10 minutes ago, Girlz_Day said:

Because they want to reward players who already spent even more money on the original ship to have more incentive to buy something they already essentially own. It also entices players to buy the original ships during the Christmas/New Years sales. This is why those missions last so long.

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Cool 3
  • Meh 1

Members
264 posts
5,754 battles
Just now, Wolfswetpaws said:

As a fellow player, like yourself, I hear what you're saying.

I suggest directing your questions & feedback to actual WOWs community representatives, such as @Hapa_Fodder or @Mademoisail.

Thank you for the links and advise.

I probably am screwed because I missed that there was no "B" in the mission title, Lame! 

I just do not understand why they would match a mission in a package assuming I have the ship to use it?  Why would I want a Kaga if I just bought a Kaga "B" when if I remove the camo...they are the same ships!

Just another reason for me to not buy anything or trust WoW, thank you again @Wolfswetpaws for being nice and not rude in your informative replies. 

• Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

Members
264 posts
5,754 battles
10 minutes ago, RickPatton said:

Do you both have the Vanilla version of that ship?  It is for that.   

No, and I did not want it

[WPORT]
Members
7,824 posts
12,885 battles
2 minutes ago, Girlz_Day said:

Thank you for the links and advise.

I probably am screwed because I missed that there was no "B" in the mission title, Lame! 

I just do not understand why they would match a mission in a package assuming I have the ship to use it?  Why would I want a Kaga if I just bought a Kaga "B" when if I remove the camo...they are the same ships!

Just another reason for me to not buy anything or trust WoW, thank you again @Wolfswetpaws for being nice and not rude in your informative replies. 

You're welcome.  Thank you for saying so.
Fair winds and following seas.

Beta Testers
97 posts
12,967 battles

It just a sales tactic to get players that already own the ship, Kaga, to buy the Black version to get the missions. Just them trying to broaden their buyer pool. Me personally would not buy any black version, since wargaming limits there usage for latter missions.

[WOLF8]
Members
7,741 posts
6,507 battles

The doubloon missions are supposed to be some kind of a compensation for people who already have the original versions of the ships, and yet still ends up with a Black Friday version as well.

Normally, if you get a duplicate Premium ship, you're compensated with doubloons... but not in the case for the Black Friday ships, because they're treated as a separate entity, despite being clones. Hence, the doubloon missions are there as a partial compensation, as I mentioned. 

And of course, it also sort of entices people who acquired the Black Friday version of the ships, without having the original versions, to get the original versions. I personally don't recommend anyone to go out of their limb to get the original versions too, just to do those dinky doubloon missions. It's not worth it, IMHO, and should be just ignored.

• Cool 1

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,140 posts
11,186 battles

Everyone in here is slightly cynically representing the purpose of the black ship giving a mission for doubloons for the regular ship. The reward is for people who already have the original who accidentally get the black ship from a crate. It's a form of compensation for those who get a duplicate. There is a mod I discovered a while back that can change the name of a ship in your personal game files so that when you personally play, you can see a ship under a different name. It's not in modstation, and the installation is a little tricky, but I long ago decided that if I ever pull a black ship for a ship I already have, or if I had pulled one of the warhammer clones, I would install the mod specifically to change the name for that ship. If you should have the same happen to you, this is my list of alternate names I would use. I have only included ships where I own the original premium, so if you want an alternate name for Scharnhorst B or Tirpitz B, you will have to get creative. Also, I have no idea what I would change Jean Bart B or Kaga B to.

Massachusetts B to Indiana
Alaska B to Guam
Graf Zeppelin B to Peter Strasser
Atlanta B to Juneau
Cossack B to Bedouin

[CO-OP]
Members
2,651 posts
27,770 battles
25 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

The doubloon missions are supposed to be some kind of a compensation for people who already have the original versions of the ships, and yet still ends up with a Black Friday version as well.

Normally, if you get a duplicate Premium ship, you're compensated with doubloons... but not in the case for the Black Friday ships, because they're treated as a separate entity, despite being clones. Hence, the doubloon missions are there as a partial compensation, as I mentioned. 

And of course, it also sort of entices people who acquired the Black Friday version of the ships, without having the original versions, to get the original versions. I personally don't recommend anyone to go out of their limb to get the original versions too, just to do those dinky doubloon missions. It's not worth it, IMHO, and should be just ignored.

^^This.

The mission is not for the players who acquire the black versions, it is incentive for those player who already have the original versions to get the black versions.

Members
264 posts
5,754 battles
5 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

^^This.

The mission is not for the players who acquire the black versions, it is incentive for those player who already have the original versions to get the black versions.

^^That.

Should have been attached to the Mission in bold print so as to be VERY obvious to you before purchase....it is NOT.

[WOLF8]
Members
7,741 posts
6,507 battles
23 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

^^This.

To play a bit of a devil's advocate, one could argue that the doubloon missions can be treated as something like a cashback reward discount-- you buy the original versions to do the missions, and get portion of the costs back in doubloons, through the missions.

However, even in such cases, I still think it's not worth it. At all. Unless...

The only time that a player could get both versions is if they really love the ships, so much so that they don't honestly mind paying for and having two identical ships... like me, lol. I have both versions for Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, and Graf Zeppelin... but I just have hots (lol) for German ships in this game... lel. I already had the original versions when their Black Friday versions first came out... but I really liked the looks of the BF camos, and I really wanted them... so I thought why not and dived right in... lel. :Smile_hiding:

At least I was able to try out some different setups on the BF versions, like different equipment modules for a different playstyles. Plus, few extra ships for knocking off snowflakes for me, lul. :Smile_hiding:

I guess the doubloon missions are pretty much tailored for someone like me... otherwise, I say don't bother at all and steer clear... lal. :Smile_hiding:

24 minutes ago, Girlz_Day said:

Should have been attached to the Mission in bold print so as to be VERY obvious to you before purchase....it is NOT.

I thought the disclaimer was in the item descriptions for the crates/ships in the shop/armory... is it not?

Members
264 posts
5,754 battles

I see that many people are coming out to defend WG's choice to include the missions for the regular ships with the Black versions of the ships, but this is a huge mistake on WG to make these bundles.

Best case scenario: the buyer feels disappointed that the missions are not able to be completed and carries on with the day

Worst case scenario: the buyer sees this as a classic fine-print bait and switch

Either way, it's a negative response from your average customer.

I know some of you are going "look at the page, read the page, wow it says it so clearly, it was like this the other time, but I'm speaking from the point of view of the average customer, not the special WG forum-goers that lurk this place 24-7 and know every details of WG operation and how many nose hair they have.

It's misleading at best, and outright "scammy" at worst. It's true that they do spell out the details, but majority of people will not see that. They will see SHIP! MISSION! and then be disappointed later.

Best thing to do, if you're truly a member of the player-base and not just a paid shill, is to criticize such decisions to make these bundles, not defend it.

"Quoted"

• Meh 1

[WOLF5]
Members
84 posts
2,881 battles
1 hour ago, Girlz_Day said:

^^That.

I agree on this point.  I would have had it right under the "BONUS: Combat mission for ___: 2,500 doubloons".

They do make it fairly clear in the news article though.  So if there is a lesson to be learned, always check the news before you spend.

blackfridayarticle.png

Shame they didn't repeat what they did for the 2018 Black Friday event.

2018BF.thumb.png.8a0faf5b3fb9e77d39559e50861598ae.png

Edited by KamiYanTouma
Added 2018 example

[WOLF8]
Members
7,741 posts
6,507 battles
42 minutes ago, Girlz_Day said:

I see that many people are coming out to defend WG's choice to include the missions for the regular ships with the Black versions of the ships, but this is a huge mistake on WG to make these bundles.

Best case scenario: the buyer feels disappointed that the missions are not able to be completed and carries on with the day

Worst case scenario: the buyer sees this as a classic fine-print bait and switch

Either way, it's a negative response from your average customer.

I know some of you are going "look at the page, read the page, wow it says it so clearly, it was like this the other time, but I'm speaking from the point of view of the average customer, not the special WG forum-goers that lurk this place 24-7 and know every details of WG operation and how many nose hair they have.

It's misleading at best, and outright "scammy" at worst. It's true that they do spell out the details, but majority of people will not see that. They will see SHIP! MISSION! and then be disappointed later.

Best thing to do, if you're truly a member of the player-base and not just a paid shill, is to criticize such decisions to make these bundles, not defend it.

"Quoted"

I'm sorry, but the only impression that I'm getting from your post is that you just represent those impulsive buyers who never read the fine prints. If people like you are not gonna pay attention to the item descriptions in the shop pages or the announcements... then that's on them and not on WG.

Through out our lives, we all will sometimes make contracts with other entities, such as a bank or a company, to buy/rent a house, buy/lease a car, apply for some kind of services, for our jobs, and/or whatever etc etc... and all those contracts come with fine prints and disclaimers. If you never pay attention to them, and something were to happen and you didn't know what to do... that's on you. Plain and simple. And it's no different with WG and the Black Friday missions.

Just look at the screenshots in the post right below yours; how could anyone miss those disclaimers? Let's face it, people like you always jump right in at the deals, without even looking at the signs.

Personally, I'm not defending, not criticizing, WG on this. It ain't my problem on how WG cooks up some silly deals. If I smell something fishy, I simply don't go for it, until I look carefully to learn what I'm looking at. Just because they're dangling a carrot in front of my face, it doesn't mean that I have to bite into it RIGHT NOW, no matter how tempting it is.

Conversely, it's also not my problem on how other people spend their money-- it ain't mine so not my burden... but I still think that everyone should be more careful and responsible before they use it. Just looking at "SHIPS! MISSIONS!" and then chucking their bills on an impulse is not a wise purchasing. No finance advisor or economist will ever tell anyone to do such a thing with their money. So why do it, only to complain later?

Honestly, I have no sympathy for anyone who blames others for their own impulse buying that results in something bad. Besides, this is nothing new; this isn't the first BF deals by WG. And it was just the same back then too: impulse buyers who simply didn't pay attention start blaming WG for some shady tactics.

My response has always been the same in such cases... and always will be:

farsidedoorjoke.thumb.png.efe1779aed04ea2950ebe973d9a70cc5.png

• Funny 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,062 posts
20,760 battles

^ This tbh.

Whatever happened to understanding what you buy? If you're gonna rely on companies to hold your hand when selling their products you're gonna be in for a tough time. Read the description of what you're buying. Understand what you're spending your money on. Be responsible for your own choices.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
7,580 posts
23,591 battles
2 hours ago, Blorgh2017 said:

I'm sorry, but the only impression that I'm getting from your post is that you just represent those impulsive buyers who never read the fine prints. If people like you are not gonna pay attention to the item descriptions in the shop pages or the announcements... then that's on them and not on WG.

Through out our lives, we all will sometimes make contracts with other entities, such as a bank or a company, to buy/rent a house, buy/lease a car, apply for some kind of services, for our jobs, and/or whatever etc etc... and all those contracts come with fine prints and disclaimers. If you never pay attention to them, and something were to happen and you didn't know what to do... that's on you. Plain and simple. And it's no different with WG and the Black Friday missions.

Just look at the screenshots in the post right below yours; how could anyone miss those disclaimers? Let's face it, people like you always jump right in at the deals, without even looking at the signs.

Personally, I'm not defending, not criticizing, WG on this. It ain't my problem on how WG cooks up some silly deals. If I smell something fishy, I simply don't go for it, until I look carefully to learn what I'm looking at. Just because they're dangling a carrot in front of my face, it doesn't mean that I have to bite into it RIGHT NOW, no matter how tempting it is.

Conversely, it's also not my problem on how other people spend their money-- it ain't mine so not my burden... but I still think that everyone should be more careful and responsible before they use it. Just looking at "SHIPS! MISSIONS!" and then chucking their bills on an impulse is not a wise purchasing. No finance advisor or economist will ever tell anyone to do such a thing with their money. So why do it, only to complain later?

Honestly, I have no sympathy for anyone who blames others for their own impulse buying that results in something bad. Besides, this is nothing new; this isn't the first BF deals by WG. And it was just the same back then too: impulse buyers who simply didn't pay attention start blaming WG for some shady tactics.

My response has always been the same in such cases... and always will be:

farsidedoorjoke.thumb.png.efe1779aed04ea2950ebe973d9a70cc5.png

1 hour ago, Lert said:

^ This tbh.

Whatever happened to understanding what you buy? If you're gonna rely on companies to hold your hand when selling their products you're gonna be in for a tough time. Read the description of what you're buying. Understand what you're spending your money on. Be responsible for your own choices.

Let go back to Sesame Street days & look at those screenshots...

1 of these things is not like the other...

Note the button to make comments below in today's version (aka buried at the bottom of the article) as opposed to the other one that has that data clearly defined at the top...

Now go to the top of that article today & the 1st paragraph has the words "combat mission" w/no clarifier at all...why did they wait until the end to clarify it?

It's 1 thing to not mention a combat mission at all & wait until the end to clarify it but to mention a mission in the same way that it is mentioned in articles that the mission is for the ship you are buying & then wait until later to clarify is bait & switch...of course buyer should beware...but is that any reason to jump on the bandwagon of "it's not WGs fault"...when it clearly is them that mislead w/their article.

"But all companies do it"..."Standard F2P format"...blah blah blah...

Doesn't mean you have to defend it...as if it's the right thing to do.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,062 posts
20,760 battles
11 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Doesn't mean you have to defend it...as if it's the right thing to do.

Nor does my argument of the costumer taking some responsibility in reading what they're spending money on mean that I believe that 'it's the right thing to do' from WGs side. But hey, I've been called a WG apologist and shill just for daring to suggest that people take responsibility for their own actions, so what's one more time.

<Edit> Companies are gonna have fine print in their offers. Call it a stupidity trap if you will, you wouldn't be far off. This happens. It's just a fact of life. People aren't gonna read descriptions carefully, and sellers of products are going to prey on those people. Is that a good thing? No, of course not. But as long as people are gonna fall for it, it's not going to change. So there are two things you can do: whine about it, or learn from it and not fall into those traps anymore. Whining about it on a forum isn't going to change anything. Learning from it, is. I can't be the only one who was raised to make some effort to understand what I'm putting my money towards before doing so? You know, reading and understanding descriptions? It's not up to WG to hold our hands like we're sesame street level toddlers. You know, since you invoke sesame street. Personally, I'm not a sesame street level toddler, I'm a responsible adult. More people should try that, instead of acting like they expect billion dollar for-profit companies to hold their hands like they're in kindergarten.

Edited by Lert
  • Funny 1