Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Skpstr

Perplexed

10 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

6,227
[WOLFG]
Members
31,799 posts
9,859 battles

Can anyone explain how I could shoot a DD (not Khaba or 'Gumo) with Amagi AP, get 1 hit, and score 2520 damage?

I mean, if I did less damage than expected, I'd just chalk it up to one of the possibilities that I semi-understand, and move on. But doing double the expected damage is....weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,056
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,053 posts
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Can anyone explain how I could shoot a DD (not Khaba or 'Gumo) with Amagi AP, get 1 hit, and score 2520 damage?

I mean, if I did less damage than expected, I'd just chalk it up to one of the possibilities that I semi-understand, and move on. But doing double the expected damage is....weird.

Did you hit it with two shells? Max damage is 12600/10 = 1260 x 2 = 2520.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,227
[WOLFG]
Members
31,799 posts
9,859 battles
3 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Did you hit it with two shells? Max damage is 12600/10 = 1260 x 2 = 2520.

I'd have to check the replay to see the ribbons, but the after Battle report said 1 hit for 2520.

And it was a Hail Mary at the start of the game, (spotted by planes) no one else shot at him.

Edited by Skpstr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,056
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,053 posts
8 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I'd have to check the replay to see the ribbons, but the after Battle report said 1 hit for 2520.

And it was a Hail Mary at the start of the game, (spotted by planes) no one else shot at him.

Can one shell damage twice by punching through both sides of the virtual ship? I seem to recall that I could sometimes get two citadels with one hit in operations in my De Grasse.

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,300
[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,202 posts
12,101 battles
14 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Can anyone explain how I could shoot a DD (not Khaba or 'Gumo) with Amagi AP, get 1 hit, and score 2520 damage?

I mean, if I did less damage than expected, I'd just chalk it up to one of the possibilities that I semi-understand, and move on. But doing double the expected damage is....weird.

So, I have an insane theory that could answer it, but can't be close to sure it's even a thing. 

Given that Wargaming made the changes to 0 damage pens and all - and BB shells can at times tear through or bounce internally, it could be possible that it hit something like a turret, but still had the energy to pen the ship/superstructure - effectively making it 2 hits to the ship on a single shell but unable to register that, is marked as a single hit. Which would be 2x .1 hits for the 2520 damage. 

I have noticed numbers I found odd in battle, but given that I play at close range - I seldom have the chance to actually double check the ribbon count and assume 2 or more hits, as it's also rare after battle to have something I can say the math is obviously off from what I know such as 1 double damage hit. But again, crazy shot in the dark possibility, but with how they botched a patch with 'no changes that affect CV balance' that had loads, well, anything is possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,149
[HINON]
Members
13,968 posts

There was a bug in the past where one hit could register as 2 overpens due to a wonky shell path inside the ship. I thought they had fixed it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
912
[REVY]
Members
2,603 posts
14,173 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

There was a bug in the past where one hit could register as 2 overpens due to a wonky shell path inside the ship. I thought they had fixed it. 

wasn't quite a bug but more of an in game issue regarding how the armor /shell interaction was computed.

But that issue was theoretically corrected.

Normally I would say a replay would help, but from the sound of it OP simply blind fired at the game start in the general direction of the enemy and got a lucky strike.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,227
[WOLFG]
Members
31,799 posts
9,859 battles
13 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Normally I would say a replay would help, but from the sound of it OP simply blind fired at the game start in the general direction of the enemy and got a lucky strike.

 

Not blind fired, just fired a salvo at something I didn't figure I was going to hit.

I'll have a look at the replay and see if there's something I missed, if not I'll throw it up tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
251
[GOCRY]
Members
666 posts

Since the shot was fired at long range, I could see plunging fire hitting the superstructure, coming out the back, and then clipping the edge of the deck, giving you 2 overpens, but only 1 (shell) hit.

Edited by SeaGladius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×