You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Decisions, decisions.

21 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
22,897 posts
16,963 battles

Part of me knows until I've got until next Thursday night to decide which Black Ships, if any, to purchase (Candidates are Kaga B and/or Atago B).

The rest of me knows that if I'm going to do it at all, I should probably do it this weekend while module slots are still cheap.

Not buying crates, because I don't like the odds of pulling a ship out of the small number of crates I'd buy - after what RNGesus did for me in the Summer Sale, it'll be a very long time before I get a windfall like that again. And I'm just as likely to end up with a Black version of a ship I already have and can't justify duplicating for a variant build.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,335 posts
17,503 battles

I did the sequential crates just for fun and they were cheap, JB B, Mass B, Atago B, and the Captains pack from last year. I think the coal with the JB was the kicker, had a early Christmas gift of doubloons so.... made a much bigger purchase than I would have and set myself up nicely for the Holiday events. Now need to do the three missions to get a bunch of the doubloons back.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,897 posts
16,963 battles
6 minutes ago, paradat said:

I did the sequential crates just for fun and they were cheap

I've got SOME doubloons lying around, enough to start but not finish that sequence, but I was waiting for subsequent Daily Supply missions to top that up to 2000 and buy something a permacamo with them. However, since I would have to buy a bunch more to get Atago B as an independent purchase, might as well churn through the ones I've got and take my chances?

[ARGSY]
Members
1,892 posts
5,818 battles
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I've got SOME doubloons lying around, enough to start but not finish that sequence, but I was waiting for subsequent Daily Supply missions to top that up to 2000 and buy something a permacamo with them. However, since I would have to buy a bunch more to get Atago B as an independent purchase, might as well churn through the ones I've got and take my chances?

I return after a time and all I find are more of your lies and fake news....tsk tsk.

Be sure to get an Alaska before it is withdrawn be it Black or otherwise!

[INTEL]
Members
3,407 posts
18,808 battles
31 minutes ago, paradat said:

I did the sequential crates just for fun and they were cheap, JB B, Mass B, Atago B, and the Captains pack from last year. I think the coal with the JB was the kicker, had a early Christmas gift of doubloons so.... made a much bigger purchase than I would have and set myself up nicely for the Holiday events. Now need to do the three missions to get a bunch of the doubloons back.

22 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The sequential crates are essentially $10 USD. (You get 250 doubloons out of one of them)  I had more than enough doubloons so I said, what the heck, and got all of them.  I picked up the Scharn B out of the 2019 container and it was the only 2019 B ship I didn't have.  But I was not expecting a ship anyway.  This one is particularly nice for me though as I can run it back-to-back in Narai with the regular Sharn.

For $11 you are guaranteed 250 doubloons, 1.5M credits, 5k coal and 7 days of Premium.  Then you get the 2018, 2019 and 2020 premium containers which all have decent rewards in them.  And of note, a single 2020 Premium container is normally 1250 doubloons.  It's a mixture of guaranteed returns that you can judge if you want them on their face value.  The single 2018 and 2019 Premium containers are $5USD  (1250 dubs) in the Premium shop.

Past the Sharn B I picked up another 250 dubs and 6k FXP out of the regular 2019 containers. Plus 35k FXP out of the 2020 Premium container.  One of my clanmates got mostly camo so I did well.

Edited by ClassicLib
  • Cool 2

[META_]
Members
1,667 posts
17,447 battles
43 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Part of me knows until I've got until next Thursday night to decide which Black Ships, if any, to purchase (Candidates are Kaga B and/or Atago B).

The rest of me knows that if I'm going to do it at all, I should probably do it this weekend while module slots are still cheap.

Not buying crates, because I don't like the odds of pulling a ship out of the small number of crates I'd buy - after what RNGesus did for me in the Summer Sale, it'll be a very long time before I get a windfall like that again. And I'm just as likely to end up with a Black version of a ship I already have and can't justify duplicating for a variant build.

Atago is VERY strong in a players hands that understands her strengths . I have probably 5 videos on her . She and Bayard are my favorite tier 8 cruisers

[GOB]
Members
2,696 posts

Ya know you want to.........

Some things you can't over think...Just.............

teaaaanor.gif

Edited by Col_Nasty

[PVE]
Members
7,561 posts
23,552 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

And I'm just as likely to end up with a Black version of a ship I already have and can't justify duplicating for a variant build.

In case you haven't seen all the threads about it...the missions (for 2500 doubs) that come w/the black ships are for the non black versions...so if you get a dupe of 1 you have you get to do the mission...unlike those that just got the black ships & don't have the originals.

[WORX]
Members
12,420 posts
19,697 battles

Well unfortunately, the great thanksgiving fleet offers did not happen in 2020... So I say wait seal pup... No need to spend

[ARGSY]
Members
22,897 posts
16,963 battles

In the end I did the sequential bundle in the Armory - from which I got the Sims B. Didn't need another Sims, but hey, I got 1500 dubs back! Not complaining about that, nor about the 10 point captain that came with her.

I also bought both the Atago B and the Kaga B. I'd always been thinking about owning both ships in any form, but the discounted price made it easier. Kaga B was actually cheaper in the shop than in the Armory once I translated the doubloon price into money.

Everything else except Alaska B was unnecessary duplication in some way, either in terms of having the standard version or having something else in my fleet that will do the same job. I'm going to make a decision on the Alaska just before she is withdrawn, knowing that I have more than enough FXP in hand to do it. I'm hoping by then that the currencies and prices for both Plymouth and Vampire II will have resolved themselves (if Vampire II is announced for FXP we will already have a fair idea of what her price is).

• Cool 1

Members
227 posts
1,201 battles

I am so tempted to whale it for this year's Hugo Boss ships.

I am advancing in three of the countries in question:  IJN, USN, and France.  And, you just gotta have a Cossack.  The problem is that The JB and Atlanta normal variants are unavailable to me so the missions mean nothing. 

Also, this could be unfortunate for you good players at higher tiers.  

Still haven't kicked down the cash, but...

[ARGSY]
Members
22,897 posts
16,963 battles
7 minutes ago, BoghieWanKanobie said:

The problem is that The JB and Atlanta normal variants are unavailable to me so the missions mean nothing. 

The way I look at it is that the Black ships are cheaper than their normal equivalents to start with, and the only thing I'm buying it for is to have the capabilities.

Since I'm saving money on what it would ordinarily have cost me, I couldn't give a rat's cheesy posterior whether I could do the doubloon missions or not. Of all the duplicates I could have pulled from the chance crates, the Sims is probably the least useful to me - I can't yet think of a significant enough point of differentiation along which to spec the B version.

[O2]
Members
452 posts
10,033 battles
22 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Not buying crates, because I don't like the odds of pulling a ship out of the small number of crates I'd buy - after what RNGesus did for me in the Summer Sale, it'll be a very long time before I get a windfall like that again.

You have some dubs to burn? I bought the 12-pack for dubs and got three ships (all but JB).

[ARGSY]
Members
22,897 posts
16,963 battles
2 minutes ago, Toxygene said:

You have some dubs to burn? I bought the 12-pack for dubs and got three ships (all but JB).

I relented and got the progression of single crates, but I didn't think I could justify a large purchase of the current-year premium ones. The only 2020 ship I wanted was the Kaga Black (I already have standard Cossack, JB and Atlanta), and it was easier, simpler and more certain just to pony up for the ship directly. If I decide I can't do without an Alaska, I've got enough FXP to grab the regular one at any time between now and when she's pulled.

• Cool 1

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
743 posts
10,024 battles
On 11/27/2020 at 12:57 PM, ClassicLib said:

The sequential crates are essentially $10 USD. (You get 250 doubloons out of one of them)  I had more than enough doubloons so I said, what the heck, and got all of them.  I picked up the Scharn B out of the 2019 container and it was the only 2019 B ship I didn't have.  But I was not expecting a ship anyway.  This one is particularly nice for me though as I can run it back-to-back in Narai with the regular Sharn.

For $11 you are guaranteed 250 doubloons, 1.5M credits, 5k coal and 7 days of Premium.  Then you get the 2018, 2019 and 2020 premium containers which all have decent rewards in them.  And of note, a single 2020 Premium container is normally 1250 doubloons.  It's a mixture of guaranteed returns that you can judge if you want them on their face value.  The single 2018 and 2019 Premium containers are $5USD  (1250 dubs) in the Premium shop.

Past the Sharn B I picked up another 250 dubs and 6k FXP out of the regular 2019 containers. Plus 35k FXP out of the 2020 Premium container.  One of my clanmates got mostly camo so I did well.

I think it was this particular comment that made me say to myself: "self, you've had those doubloons sitting around for quite a while now.  Why not just take a shot while being okay with the minimum and see what happens?".    So what happened?  I decided to play the game and bought all 11 packages for 250 doubloons each.  

3X 6k FXP.  Not bad.  I can always use more and I've been thinking of free XPing a tier 4 CV (I have 2 of these; rarely play 'em) so I can have a tier 6 CV to have for the CV missions that always pop up.
Got the 1,500,000 credits.  Meh.   I've spent over 50 million today in equipment and tech tree ships but still have over 190 million so this was one I had to take to keep the containers moving
2X 1 day of premium.   1X 14 days of premium for a total of 23 days of WoWs premium days!     Good stuff!  Between this and the FXP,  I'm feeling it's been a fair exchange.
Got the 5000 coal
Some camo. 
Got the 1x 7 days of WoWs premium.
More camo.
Last is a Black Friday 2020 premium container:    BANG!   Got the Kaga B!    Normally a CV is not something I welcome because I don't really play 'em.  But I did mention earlier I've been thinking I need to have at least 1 tier 6 CV for some of these missions.  And what do you know?   I've got one!  Now I have to watch more @Ahskance and see how one's played so I'm not a total clown when I take it out for a spin.

So looks like this time I won but make no mistake:  if I didn't have the doubloons sitting around for quite a while (since I got a doubloons coupon this spring or summer I think), I wouldn't have done this.

• Cool 1

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
6 hours ago, Altwar said:

But I did mention earlier I've been thinking I need to have at least 1 tier 6 CV for some of these missions.  And what do you know?   I've got one!  Now I have to watch more @Ahskance and see how one's played so I'm not a total clown when I take it out for a spin.

Kaga is a tier 8... 

[ARGSY]
Members
22,897 posts
16,963 battles
48 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

Kaga is a tier 8... 

What he was trying to say and didn't say very well is that he needed and now has at least one CV of T6 or higher (i.e. directive-eligible).

• Cool 1

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
33 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

What he was trying to say and didn't say very well is that he needed and now has at least one CV of T6 or higher (i.e. directive-eligible).

Ah. 

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
743 posts
10,024 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That is correct!   And yes, could have said it better but I was still in the midst of being thrilled by my good fortune...

[TF-60]
Members
457 posts
16,160 battles
On 11/28/2020 at 10:17 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

In the end I did the sequential bundle in the Armory - from which I got the Sims B. Didn't need another Sims, but hey, I got 1500 dubs back! Not complaining about that, nor about the 10 point captain that came with her.

I also bought both the Atago B and the Kaga B. I'd always been thinking about owning both ships in any form, but the discounted price made it easier. Kaga B was actually cheaper in the shop than in the Armory once I translated the doubloon price into money.

Everything else except Alaska B was unnecessary duplication in some way, either in terms of having the standard version or having something else in my fleet that will do the same job. I'm going to make a decision on the Alaska just before she is withdrawn, knowing that I have more than enough FXP in hand to do it. I'm hoping by then that the currencies and prices for both Plymouth and Vampire II will have resolved themselves (if Vampire II is announced for FXP we will already have a fair idea of what her price is).

Alaska is a great ship.  Fun to play.  Very accurate guns and AP hits like a truck.  It’s also nearly impossible to citadel.

was well worth the 1mil fxp