You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snuc

Black Friday deal clarification

33 comments in this topic

[VIDAR]
Members
22 posts

So, the black friday deal for Jean Bart and Cossack come with a special mission that can only be completed with the standard, not B (hull B? B for Black?), version of the ship, right?

Meaning that I will not be able to get that juicy 25K coal + doubloons from the Jean Bart' mission since I do not own the "original" ship and it was removed from cash shop.

• Boring 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,563 battles

right .... wrong, but right.

• Thanks 1

[VIDAR]
Members
22 posts
12 minutes ago, Umikami said:

right .... wrong, but right.

Thanks, I think I'll pass on this deal then.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,990 posts
17,004 battles
37 minutes ago, Snuc said:

right?

That's right.

If you want the ships and can afford the ships, buy the ships... but judge price and buy for the ship itself, not for all the rest of the stuff that comes with it. This is why I seldom if ever buy multi-ship bundles, Admiral packs and the like.

JB Black on its own is still cheaper than the original would have been if it were currently being sold for money, and is still functionally the same ship. You should bear that in mind. If you want the ship for her combat capabilities and you can afford the expense and you think the expense is worth it, GET her.

The other thing that DOES need bearing in mind is that any future missions that require Jean Bart, or event camos made for Jean Bart, will not always be applicable to JB Black (unless specifically stated) because from the game's perspective they are NOT the same ship.

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
Members
7,739 posts
6,507 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If you want the ships and can afford the ships, buy the ships... but judge price and buy for the ship itself, not for all the rest of the stuff that comes with it.

^ This, this, this.

I couldn't have said it better myself, lol. :Smile_hiding:

Hopefully we get to see less complaints from any baboons who didn't pay attention before they decided to dive right in, lel. :Smile_trollface:

Oh, who am I kidding... that might be a wishful thinking, lululul. :Smile_trollface::Smile_trollface::Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
912 posts
14,092 battles
1 minute ago, Blorgh2017 said:

^ This, this, this.

Hopefully we get to see less complaints from any baboons who didn't pay attention before they decided to dive right in, lel. :Smile_trollface:

Oh, who am I kidding... that might be a wishful thinking, lululul. :Smile_trollface::Smile_trollface::Smile_trollface:

Still too early in the day. Wait until later this evening and the forums ought to light up about it. :fish_viking:

[ARGSY]
Members
22,990 posts
17,004 battles
2 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Hopefully we get to see less complaints from any baboons who didn't pay attention before they decided to dive right in, lel.

It all too often seems easier to come here afterwards and angst-out a wall of text than to ask beforehand and be prepared for what subsequently happens.

1 minute ago, _GreyBeard_ said:

Still too early in the day. Wait until later this evening and the forums ought to light up about it. :fish_viking:

Yeah, plenty of people like me are at work right now, in a position to buy the boxes or the ships but not actually open/play them. Their salt won't flow until they get home, fire it up, push "Open All Containers" on 25 boxes and get no ships, or they play their new Precious five times and get no doubloons.

The less salty ones will be the ones who got a Black crate drop of a standard ship they already have and, on being informed, acknowledge their misconception and switch to that instead... but I reckon even some of THEM will complain.

• Cool 1

[VIDAR]
Members
22 posts
12 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That's right.

If you want the ships and can afford the ships, buy the ships... but judge price and buy for the ship itself, not for all the rest of the stuff that comes with it. This is why I seldom if ever buy multi-ship bundles, Admiral packs and the like.

JB Black on its own is still cheaper than the original would have been if it were currently being sold for money, and is still functionally the same ship. You should bear that in mind. If you want the ship for her combat capabilities and you can afford the expense and you think the expense is worth it, GET her.

The other thing that DOES need bearing in mind is that any future missions that require Jean Bart, or event camos made for Jean Bart, will not always be applicable to JB Black (unless specifically stated) because from the game's perspective they are NOT the same ship.

"event camos made for Jean Bart, will not always be applicable to JB Black"

This is the deal breaker for me

Members
953 posts
4,117 battles

4 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

^ This, this, this.

Wow, I have been out of the game for a while, and have been thinking about getting back in.  When I saw this offer, I thought...Hey I don't have the Jean Bart in my collection.  It's supposed to be a fine ship and, not only that, it doesn't seem available anymore.  Plus, with just a few weeks to put together enough coal for another of the desirable ships for my collection, the bonus of 25K coal will help considerably.  Also, the mission can be done in Co-op and by Jan 31 2021, where my poor and misremembered skills won't hurt other players.  While I'm thinking about opening my wallet I might as well pick up some discounts...but I've time to read the forums first....

And so I might add to quote above: 

Pay attention, yes.  But read the Forums too! Those WG marketers are slippery folk, no wonder there's a ban on PSA's.

• Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,990 posts
17,004 battles
7 minutes ago, Snuc said:

This is the deal breaker for me

While I can appreciate your viewpoint, all too often the event camos for premium ships are merely decorative - they offer no differences in FUNCTIONALITY (XP, CXP FXP, credit bonuses) from those the ship comes with in the first place. For example, I have two permacamos for Blyskawica that do nothing to enhance the ship's XP/credit earning, but they look cool. I won both of them in-game and so it's no skin off my nose or cash out of my wallet to have obtained them, but from the viewpoint of what they actually do, they might as well not be there.

For me, I'm prepared to give up on eye candy if it means grabbing a ship at a discount. Granted, if I buy the Kaga B and three days later they bring out a 10,000% FXP camo for the original Kaga (to pick some impossibly way-out figure), I might be more than a little bit annoyed... but I go into it knowing that's the chance I take.

[VIDAR]
Members
22 posts
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

While I can appreciate your viewpoint, all too often the event camos for premium ships are merely decorative - they offer no differences in FUNCTIONALITY (XP, CXP FXP, credit bonuses) from those the ship comes with in the first place. For example, I have two permacamos for Blyskawica that do nothing to enhance the ship's XP/credit earning, but they look cool. I won both of them in-game and so it's no skin off my nose or cash out of my wallet to have obtained them, but from the viewpoint of what they actually do, they might as well not be there.

For me, I'm prepared to give up on eye candy if it means grabbing a ship at a discount. Granted, if I buy the Kaga B and three days later they bring out a 10,000% FXP camo for the original Kaga (to pick some impossibly way-out figure), I might be more than a little bit annoyed... but I go into it knowing that's the chance I take.

Oh I should have made myself clear, sorry. I do not care about camos at all (except for the "From the bottom of the Ocean - Hood")... I'm more concern about the events. The black versions have same capabilities/specs as the originals but are being treated as a different ships by not having access to same mission that her counterparts have. 

Also, there is another thing... they can nerf the black versions without affecting the original. (not sure if this would be legal but I remember that ARP Yamato had a disclaimer about this)

[PHD]
Members
258 posts
8,196 battles
1 hour ago, Snuc said:

So, the black friday deal for Jean Bart and Cossack come with a special mission that can only be completed with the standard, not B (hull B? B for Black?), version of the ship, right?

Meaning that I will not be able to get that juicy 25K coal + doubloons from the Jean Bart' mission since I do not own the "original" ship and it was removed from cash shop.

Seeing what the "deal" really is makes me think, why would someone pay $27.69 for a black copy of a ship they are already have so they can accomplish a mission with the original Cossack to get 2500 doubloons when if they just bought the same doubloons in the Premium Shop it would $9.90 ?

[VIDAR]
Members
22 posts
2 minutes ago, WM1957 said:

Seeing what the "deal" really is makes me think, why would someone pay $27.69 for a black copy of a ship they are already have so they can accomplish a mission with the original Cossack to get 2500 doubloons when if they just bought the same doubloons in the Premium Shop it would $9.90 ?

yeah, not worthy (unless you are a collector I guess)

[WKY04]
Members
3,860 posts
24,474 battles
22 minutes ago, WM1957 said:

This right here. 

[GWG]
Members
7,363 posts
14,123 battles
38 minutes ago, WM1957 said:

Been thinking about the Scenario Missions.  We don't currently have any that use T8 ships, but there used to be Cherry Blossom and French Gold.
But Narai keeps coming up, and the go-to ship for that is the Atlanta.  Might save a few credits to have a second copy of that one...   just saying.

Sims is the go-to ship for Operation Dynamo, but I haven't seen that one since the CV rework.  I really miss swatting Schnellbots and HE-111s with the Sims.  Chances of it coming back are about zip - so no sale on that one.

I'll just get the Atlanta-B since that is the only one that might be useful on down the road.

Edited by AVR_Project

Members
4 posts

Maybe I'm dense but I'm not seeing the logic of this at all.  I already have Kaga and Jean Bart.   What good does it do me to spend actual cash to get two more virtual copies of what is already in my port.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,990 posts
17,004 battles
14 minutes ago, thom01 said:

I already have Kaga and Jean Bart.   What good does it do me to spend actual cash to get two more virtual copies of what is already in my port.

For some of these ships, the choice of modules you put in their upgrade slots significantly influences the way the ship is played.  This is the case particularly for the battleships and especially the CV Graf Zeppelin, which all lie somewhere between valued and notorious for the power and effectiveness of their secondary gun armament (but by meme-building the Graf for the secondaries, you risk detracting from her performance as a carrier).

@AVR_Project likely wants a duplicate Atlanta because ships taken to operations are on a time lock requiring credits to bypass if you want to take the same ship out again immediately. Having a duplicate Atlanta helps to get around that by burning up time as he plays the second match in the second ship, OR he may be thinking that the build he wants for Randoms and/or Co-op is not necessarily the one he wants for Narai (e.g. Atlanta will have the extended radar duration module, Atlanta B the extended hydro), OR he wants to farm the first-win bonus in both ships with the same captain (because Atlanta is her own special thing requiring a particular captain build for best results).

For all I know, he also has the Flint - which is the same ship again with a few changes and favouring a very similar captain build. Positing that, he could go on cycling those three through Narai all day and probably never have to be bothered by the lockout time on the scenario.

Now if all this subtlety of builds and modules and whatever does not apply to you, that's fine. You are absolutely at liberty to decide you don't need duplicates, and you definitely shouldn't spend money trying to get them.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
8,258 posts
6,118 battles
27 minutes ago, thom01 said:

Maybe I'm dense but I'm not seeing the logic of this at all.  I already have Kaga and Jean Bart.   What good does it do me to spend actual cash to get two more virtual copies of what is already in my port.

Maybe you want a secondary specced Jean Bart and tank specced Jean Bart at the same time without having to spend dubloons dismounting the equipment everyday.

[WOLF1]
Members
194 posts
20,904 battles

So, I would like to get the black Atlanta, as I don't have the regular and it's a boat I would like.  but does the mission require the regular Atlanta?  This is confusing.

[REVY]
Members
8,258 posts
6,118 battles
8 minutes ago, meatgrindr said:

So, I would like to get the black Atlanta, as I don't have the regular and it's a boat I would like.  but does the mission require the regular Atlanta?  This is confusing.

Yes.  The mission is only for people who will own both copies of the ship.

Members
478 posts
2,851 battles
6 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

right there in the print:

Untitled.jpg.dfc85ab9573762b033180721c6f27328.jpg

Scammy. They're covering themselves, but they know that large numbers of people will misread it.

[FMCPO]
Members
5 posts
3,088 battles

I have been playing wows since 2015, I have just purchased the Jean Bart B and if can't get the bonus because they were tricky with the wording I'm done with this game.