You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
neptunes_wrath

buying a new rig..... AMD Vs iNtel

30 comments in this topic

Members
3,199 posts
591 battles

pretty much, which is "Better" ?
SO I have almost ALWAYS had an intel rig, had a few AMDs in my lifetime... Never had any real issues, but it is not as complicated a choice as MAC vs ...... if you know what I mean...
SO in your opinions, which would you prefer, all things else being even, in other words graphics cards being equal, and so on...The aim is at LEAST 3.6 Ghz speed and way better graphics than I have in my LT, GTX 1060 being the floor and up from there...

I found Two that interest me.. 
Acer Gaming Predator Orion 5000 Intel i5 8600K 3.60GHz 16GB Ram 256GB SSD Win10H GTX 1060

VS

Skytech Shiva Gaming PC Desktop - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4GHz (3 9 GHz Max Boost) , NVIDIA RTX 2060, 16GB DDR4, 500G SSD, RGB Fans

thanks for opinions and input guys

oh  and Price being another main factor... 
Both choices above are $999
I am shooting for 1k or less if possible, as WINTER is my "slow" season for landscaping

Edited by neptunes_wrath

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,327 posts
7,840 battles

I'd go AMD either one of those however are mondo overkill for playing WOWS GPU wise.....

I'm looking at a desktop build it myself system

AMD 3900x on Aorus x570 Master in Lian li Lancool2 RGB case 

32gig DDR 3400 ram

2-1tb NVME boot drives raid0

2080 or 6800 GPU

2- 2tb SSD game drives 

Yeah it's stupid overkill but I play X4 and Unreal Tournament as well 

Members
964 posts
4,129 battles

There are any number of YouTube channels that are worth giving a look at first.  GamersNexus is a good start for pro levels of information, but I enjoy JaysTwoCents for a more down to earth prospective, and he is easy to understand.  I think most would advise AMD, especially if you are on a tight budget. 

(For what it's worth - I have a strong "dislike" for AMD, having had career experience with both corporations in the global semiconductor fab industry.  To this day, and in spite of obvious specifications, or AMD's improving technology and standing, I cannot bring myself to recommend them.)

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,097 posts
20,824 battles

Only reason to go with intel now is brand loyalty.

[O2]
Members
455 posts
10,034 battles

I moved from Intel to AMD last xmas and have enjoyed my first year with AMD desktop w/o any issues. And get some AMD stock for the cost savings...Two good moves.

Members
541 posts

I own a lot of AMD stock so go AMD

They're actually dominating intel and about to dominate nvidia. Q4 ER should be really good

Edited by MrSparkle

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,197 posts
17,025 battles

In case you were not aware, AMD runs hotter, so make sure your cooling is "up to snuff".  They don't like warm climates.  Other than that, I'd go with AMD.  Intel isn't bad, but AMD is better right now.:Smile_great:

[-TKS-]
Members
3,354 posts
17,393 battles

Acer has a reputation for selling cheaper lower end hardware. From my experience the quality of their machines is typically trash and I would stay away from it. 

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
12,549 posts
19,756 battles
3 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

Skytech Shiva Gaming PC Desktop - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4GHz (3 9 GHz Max Boost) , NVIDIA RTX 2060, 16GB DDR4, 500G SSD, RGB Fans

I am basing my opinion on others more qualified then me (my PC repairman mainly.. More then one), The consensus?Stay away from Acer products when it comes to gaming... 

They have seen horror stories with cheap thermal paste and other cost cutting measures...

If I were you, take the lesser of both evils, this ^^^^.

[TIMT]
Members
1,277 posts
4,779 battles
4 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

SO I have almost ALWAYS had an intel rig, had a few AMDs in my lifetime... Never had any real issues, but it is not as complicated a choice as MAC vs ...... if you know what I mean...
SO in your opinions, which would you prefer, all things else being even, in other words graphics cards being equal, and so on...The aim is at LEAST 3.6 Ghz speed and way better graphics than I have in my LT, GTX 1060 being the floor and up from there...

Acer Gaming Predator Orion 5000 Intel i5 8600K 3.60GHz 16GB Ram 256GB SSD Win10H GTX 1060

VS

I am shooting for 1k or less if possible, as WINTER is my "slow" season for landscaping

I would go with AMD right now, simply because the price-to-performance ratio is much better. If you are not in a hurry, I would wait for the Ryzen 5000 series to become widely available as they come with an increase in IPC (instructions per clock, or how much work is done per MHz). Otherwise, go with the 3000 series on a B550 or X570 board. B450 is also not a bad choice, but B550 is the safer upgrade path should you want to go 5000s series later on. So, since price-to-performance is much better on AMD, and the support for motherboards/chipsets with new CPUs is better I'd go AMD nowadays.

Graphics cards is similar, both AMD and NVIDIA just had "paper launches" of their new cards. Both huge increases in price-to-performance, but availability is trash right now. So, either wait or go with a RTX2060 and upwards.

As others stated, I would always encourage to build yourself instead of buying a full system as you can often get more for your money. If you want to buy pre-build, try to look for information on the Motherboard, PSU, and SSD they come with. These are components where the builder can cheap out on, hurting you in the long run when you want to upgrade (compatibility) or in terms of longevity (PSU in particular). In general, my issue with pre-builds is that all of the smaller "quality-of-life" components are cheap and can't hardly be reused in a future upgrade. Also, stuff like cheap fans or PSU/case can really affect your daily experience with the machine.

[WOLFG]
Members
32,044 posts
9,926 battles

It's odd, when I built my current PC, the 8600k was comparable in price to the Ryzen 7 2700x I ended up choosing.

I'm of the impression that the 8600k is faster than the R5 2600, with the same number of cores. It's faster than the 2700x, but has fewer cores.

I would try to get something with the 2700x, it's only about $80 more than the 2600.

I'm not super current though, so I don't know how much of an upgrade the 2060 is over the 1060.

[FOXEH]
Members
1,955 posts
13,074 battles
3 hours ago, Jim_Byrnes said:

I'd go AMD either one of those however are mondo overkill for playing WOWS GPU wise.....

I'm looking at a desktop build it myself system

AMD 3900x on Aorus x570 Master in Lian li Lancool2 RGB case 

32gig DDR 3400 ram

2-1tb NVME boot drives raid0

2080 or 6800 GPU

2- 2tb SSD game drives 

Yeah it's stupid overkill but I play X4 and Unreal Tournament as well 

Dump the NVMe raid, it’s not really any faster and it’s just a pain to deal with.  Do a 2TB boot drive and the SSDs, but NVMe is faster than the SSDs will be.  After using them, I would do a 1 TB boot drive and put the rest of the money in the other NMVe game drive to make it as big as possible.  Then you don’t need to worry about wiring and crap for your drives, it’s all on the motherboard.  

Edited by comtedumas
  • Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

Pros and cons to each.

This game has modest hardware requirements but future proofing is always wise. You want the best guts you can get without paying too much for last year's marvels.

Frist things first. A good monitor is the best money you'll ever spend on a computer. Don't go overboard but definitely do not skimp on your display.

Get a bronze or silver rated power supply with well configured rails/channels that's modular and 750w or more. You can useba power supply for a decade.

Get a mostly steel mid tower case that is heavy gauge, plenty of room for big cards and tall cpu coolers, tool-less design, has some dust filters and comes with a couple fans. Sound reduction is nice. A good case lasts forever.

Get the biggest top tier SSD the budget allows. No hybrids. Form factor doesn't really matter. M2 vs 2.5/3.5 speeds are pretty much the same for practical purposes but the SATA styles are MUCH CHEAPER and easier to clone for some reason. Brand doesn't matter as long as it is Sandisk, Kingston, Samsung, WD, Intel, Corsair or Crucial. You're gonna back up everything to a storage drive weekly anyway, right? RIGHT?Top tier SSD will last for years. 

Ram, mobo, cpu, gpu are fashion trends for nerds . You want last year's best stuff for half price.

The 2060 is slightly more advanced card than the 1060 but you need to make sure the Ryzen architecture will actually utilize whatever upgrades the card is touting.  As I learned shopping for laptops with Ryzen and I5 CPUs and various Nvdia gpus, compatible and fully capable aren't the same.

I'd probably get the Ryzen. They are fast and a good value. Its a gamble but I think it's currently a little more future proof of the two. That's why I chose it anyway. I'd sell off the 2060 ASAP for a good price to buy a GTX 1080. They are still good, plenty powerful for WOWS, Destiny, Call of Duty at 1080p maxed out.  They are a dime a dozen on ebay too. In a few months the 3000 series will be common and the 2080 will fall in price and you can upgrade to it.

If you have a copy of windows and it's license why not build your own? It's fairly simple. I'd be happy to help.

Full disclosure:

I have no bias and have built with both since days of K5, slot A and Cyrix. Actually my first computer used MFM drives and 8" floppy but I bought it outright. Lol.

My current rig is the Ryzen 3800 with 32gb DDR4- 3600, a 512GB 860 EVO and a 1080GTX. Monitor is a Dell 27" 144hz <3ms 4k. It is a noticable upgrade over my 6th or 7th Gen I5 with 16gb DDR, Crucial SSD and Radeon Strix 390 on a Dell 23-24" 75hz 1050p IPS at 9ms.

My current laptop is 10th Gen I5 with 16gb DDR4, some weird laptop variant of the 1065gtx, a 512gb SSD and a 15" 144hz 1080p screen

Edited by thebigblue

[CO-OP]
Members
1,992 posts
27,335 battles

Build your own AMD rig. You may or may not save money but you control the quality of the components. When you buy off the shelf compromises that you are not aware of are made. Put together a machine for my Grandson for Christmas (he paid for most of it but I kicked in a lot of parts).

AMD RYZEN 5 3600X 6-Core  $240

CORSAIR CX-F RGB Series CX750F RGB 750W 80 PLUS Bronze  $110

ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4 AM4  $152

ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2060  $360

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600  $61

Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4  $85

4TB HDD freebie I had sitting around

meanit 4PM series - 4PM ARC RED - Tempered Glass Gaming ATXC Cube Computer Case  another freebie from an old build

Just over a $1000 for the paid for components, he contributed $700 I kicked in the rest and the freebies.

System kicks A$$, total overkill for WoWS but he plays COD, GTAV, and a variety of other fairly demanding games. The only irritation was the graphics card, the market just now is somewhat jittery and it took me about 3 weeks to find a decent card at a relatively sane price that was actually in stock and not being sold as vaporware. He is very happy with the resulting system.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,252 posts
20 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

Traditionally, Intel has presented leading edge technology while AMD has offered the best bang for your buck. However, the new AMD CPUs and GPUs are now leading the charts.

I've built exclusively with AMD CPUs and GPUs for decades now and have always been pleased with them.

Passmark scores:

Intel i5 8600K -- 10250

GTX 1060 -- 10129

The AMD system is more powerful with a larger SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 -- 13218

NVIDIA RTX 2060 --14030

However, look a bit deeper if you can. Acer is a well-known company but I don't know anything about Skytech. Try to determine what wattage power supplies the systems have and who makes their motherboards.

Edited by Snargfargle

[LOSC]
Members
595 posts

I'm really surprised at how many here are using AMD, I'm an old gamer who has built his own since the 90's

I always like Intel as there were less problems probably because being more common.

Biggest thing is getting plenty of Ram. 16 is ok 32 is future proof and get a high ram Video card,

pick a Video card with 8 GB and it will serve you for years.

For me I have always bought the Intel unlocked cores so I could overclock it if the future pushed me to but so 

far my intel 2600K on an ASUS Gaming MB has handled every single game I throw at it.

A top website for builders is GURU3D. Guru3D.com

[WOLF4]
Members
394 posts
17,283 battles

just built a new PC

Amd 3600

asus tuff board

500 gb nand ssd

new case

corsair memory  16gb

super flower power supply

used AMD  580 gpu

windows 10 pro 

just over 800

was on a budget the used video card came up for 100. I picked it up.

old pc is a intel  3570k  seasonic power supply 6970 amd gpu   patriot memory  gigabyte motherboard     over8 years old actually stull runs just fine

if you go with AMD get a mother board with the later model chipset in case you want to upgrade your cpu, but if your do not plan on upgrading dont worry about it.

dependong on how much data you use on hard drive 500gb ssd will work then use another drive or 2 with it, just use OS and most important stuff on the ssd to make pc fast,

also note I would not build with anything smaller than a 500gb drive as a base drive. 500 gb and up.

16 gb memory is plenty.

when I did my research the 2600 and 3600 amd were the best bang for the buck. Also just for gaming single thread from what I read Intel still is better, but not by much.

I have had both intel and amd over the years they are both good AMD won in this build after doing research.

Edited by Tim__2016
  • Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
3,245 posts
14,666 battles
21 hours ago, Volron said:

In case you were not aware, AMD runs hotter, so make sure your cooling is "up to snuff".  They don't like warm climates.  Other than that, I'd go with AMD.  Intel isn't bad, but AMD is better right now.:Smile_great:

Was true in the past, especially with the FX series.  I'm still running an FX in my current rig.  I have an open air case and have a LiqMax AiO 240 cooler on it.  The Ryzen series (especially the ones after the OG Ryzens) are FAR better in this regard.  

20 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Acer has a reputation for selling cheaper lower end hardware. From my experience the quality of their machines is typically trash and I would stay away from it. 

Yep.  The home desktop (not the one I game on) is an old Acer.  It's had issues from day one.  Avoid Acer if you can.  Heck, you could buy yourself the components and a bottle of Scotch for less than the price of the Acer.  And drink half the bottle of Scotch before putting it together and you'd still likely do a better job than Acer.  

[SALVO]
Members
6,719 posts
5,286 battles
21 hours ago, Volron said:

In case you were not aware, AMD runs hotter, so make sure your cooling is "up to snuff".  They don't like warm climates.  

This is important OP. I run AMD, also l live in a very hot place. Thermal shutdowns do happen if you don't have top notch cooling.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
7,858 posts
12,947 battles
23 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

VS

Most of the desktop computers that I have built personally have been based on an AMD cpu.
But the last one I built was several years ago.
I would buy AMD because their processors were perceived to offer more computing power for a given number of dollars when compared to Intel products.

That said, my most recent purchase was an Acer Nitro-5 entry-level gaming laptop, which has an Intel i5 (9th. generation) processor.
This is because when I was shopping in the store (Best Buy), the laptops available were competing on price & features and the one I have now was better equipped overall and had the features I wanted at a price I could afford and didn't "compromise" in a manner that disappointed me.

In the choices you listed (quoted above), I'd lean towards the AMD set-up, because of the larger SSD drive. 

Unless there is a significant performance difference between the video cards and/or you're interested in swapping out the SSD drive later for a larger one, it seems to me that the AMD set-up is offering more bang for the buck.

Good luck in your decision process.  I hope you'll enjoy many happy times with whatever you select.

• Cool 1