You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Doubloon missions that come with the Black ships REQUIRE YOU TO HAVE THE NON-BLACK VERSION IN YOUR PORT and play it with that, not the Black ship..

28 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
22,889 posts
16,962 battles

The wording is not entirely clear, but that's the condition on these dub missions.

Yes, it seems stupid, but that's the way it is. Bear that in mind if you're going to buy the Black version without having the original.

The silver lining is that these missions are valid well into January, so there is the possibility of pulling the original (if you don't have it) in a Santa crate and completing the mission then.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Thanks 2

[PHD]
Members
256 posts
8,142 battles

The wording on the page is clear that we are supposed to get these rewards for having Jean Bart B and winning 5 battles.

• Meh 1

[WOLFD]
Members
845 posts
6,846 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The wording is not entirely clear, but that's the condition on these dub missions.

Yes, it seems stupid, but that's the way it is. Bear that in mind if you're going to buy the Black version without having the original.

The silver lining is that these missions are valid well into January, so there is the possibility of pulling the original (if you don't have it) in a Santa crate and completing the mission then.

Wording is perfectly clear in the news article.  Here is the quote:

"Special Combat Mission

Until January 31, 2021, you can complete the special combat mission for each ship playing the standard (not black) version of each black ship."

Says right in there (not black), very clearly.  I was just skimming the article and saw it.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/black-friday-2020/

[ARGSY]
Members
22,889 posts
16,962 battles

Okay, I must have missed it - but it isn't entirely clear in the purchase screen for each ship, and that's where some people will go first.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

[PHD]
Members
256 posts
8,142 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Okay, that wasn't yet up when I made the post.

I would not have bought it if the mission rewards a ship that is no longer available.

[PVE]
Members
13,174 posts
27,611 battles
16 minutes ago, WM1957 said:

The wording on the page is clear that we are supposed to get these rewards for having Jean Bart B and winning 5 battles.

If you look closer you will see there is no B on the end of the ship names in those missions. The regular and B versions are considered different ships. The B versions do not qualify for those 2500 Doubloon missions. Only the regular version does.

[CO-OP]
Members
1,931 posts
27,179 battles

Could be made clearer by changing it slightly, such that if you have both versions of a ship in port then the mission can be completed with either one but only if you possess both. They need someone who is well versed in how easily sloppy/vague English (or any other language for that matter) can lead to misunderstandings.  Writing the conditions for the mission as a bulleted list would help in comprehension, as would limiting the words used to 3 syllables maximum. The audience is not dumb but is not used to the way WG delivers their information. Having to write material for teenagers and others to read and interpret I am constantly surprised at the myriad ways a person can misunderstand written instructions or information, again it's not down to the reader's intellectual ability, it is because most people read non-expository material for entertainment rather than material that contains information. 

/removes teacher's hat.

Edited by Efros

[ARGSY]
Members
22,889 posts
16,962 battles
6 minutes ago, Efros said:

The audience is not dumb but is not used to the way WG delivers their information.

This, a thousand times. Too many of us do not speak what Arthur C. Clarke once referred to in a different context as "Russlish".

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[TSF]
Members
352 posts
13,901 battles

This year, if you buy loot boxes, and a ship drops you already have, the RGN does not substitute one of the remaining drop ships you don't have, as it did in previous years. The compensation rules are explained here:

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/content/compensation-rules/

Based on WG's explanation, the above situation is handled in one of two ways:

"Black Friday 2020
If you already have a black ship from the Black Friday 2020, Black Friday 2019, or Black Friday 2018 containers, and if that particular ship drops for you again—you'll receive 2,500 doubloons; a Port slot; Commander with 10 skill points; and the combat mission with a doubloon reward for the standard version of that ship.

Containers
What if I already own a ship that I get from a container?
You'll receive another item that will be randomly selected from the list of possible items the container can drop. On certain occasions, for example—when you open a Santa's Big Gift and get a ship that you already own—you'll receive a supercontainer in which you'll find another ship from the list."

So, while not exactly clear, it appears that:

If you own a Jean Bart, and a JB Black drops from a Black Friday loot box, then you get the JB Black and the mission for 2500 doubloons

If you don't own a Jean Bart, and a JB black drops from a Black Friday loot box, then you get the JB Black, and the mission, BUT, you have to buy (no longer available) or win (Christmas crates) the regular Jean Bart to complete the 2500 doubloon mission. Fortunately for you WG has extended the mission to January 31 to encourage you to gamble heavily on the Christmas crates to get the Jean Bart to be able to complete the mission.

If you own a Jean Bart, and you own a JB Black, and another JB Black rolls on a drop from a Black Friday loot box, then, instead of being awarded another Black ship selected at random from the pool of 2020 Black drop ships, you either get a reroll with the JB Black excluded, or you get 2500 doubloons. We do not know for sure, but it appears you get 2500 doubloons. This is far less than the value of a Black ship.

There is a separate string of black items purchased via doubloons from the in game armory, which have slightly different valuations and compensation rules. 

There are regular Black Friday containers, and Premium black Friday containers, which are two different things, with very different odds of getting a ship.

The 2018 and 2019 Black Friday containers being sold for doubloons in the armory are regular Black Friday containers, not premium, so they have much lower odds of dropping a ship, although this isn't stated anywhere easily accessible. 

However, the 2018 and 2019 Black Friday containers being sold in the Premium store for cash, are the Premium containers, not the regular containers. 

The 2020 Black Friday containers being sold for doubloons in the armory are BOTH regular Black Friday containers, and premium, although you don't get to the premium version until you purchase the previous 8 doubloon offers, none of which are Premium Black Friday containers. 

The amount you get in compensation for a duplicate Black ship varies considerably based on how you obtain it. For example:

If you get a duplicate JB Black by purchasing the Black Fleet for doubloons in the in game armory, you get 13,480 doubloons.

If you get a duplicate JB Black by purchasing the Black Fleet for cash, you get 12,480 doubloons.

If you get a duplicate JB Black dropped in a Premium Black Friday Container, you get 2500 doubloons. 

The compensation variances span all of the Black Friday ships, and there are at least 3 different amounts for each of the 12 Black ships.

The Black Friday commanders are available, as a separate purchase of the commanders themselves, which do not come with the ships. 

The mission related to Black Friday ships award varying amounts of doubloons, and may or may not come with additional bonuses to their respective missions, which you still can't complete without the regular version of the ship. 

for example, 

2020 "Five victories with Cossack, Kaga, or Atlanta will bring you 2,500 doubloons. If you win in five battles playing Jean Bart, in addition to 2,500 doubloons you will also receive 25,000 Coal"

2019 "Five victories with Graf Zeppelin or Scharnhorst will bring you 2,500 doubloons; Sims—1,500 doubloons; and Alaska—2,500 doubloons and 100,000 Free XP."

2018 "Five victories gained playing Tirpitz, Asashio, Atago, or Massachussetts will bring you 2,500 doubloons." 

The Black Friday premium containers from 2018 and 2019 are also being sold by WG this year, and the duplicate compensation for those crates appear to be the rules for 2020, rather then the 2018/2019 rules that were in effect for duplicates at those times. 

None of this is to say that the Black Friday crates and loot strings are necessarily a bad deal, they may or may not be good for you, depending on your individual circumstances. For some people, these may be a nice option. This post is meant to inform, not influence. 

Edited by Litigo_1970
  • Boring 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

The doubloon mission isn't a bonus for buying the B version, it's an enticement to those who already own the standard version of the ship.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,889 posts
16,962 battles
22 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The doubloon mission isn't a bonus for buying the B version, it's an enticement to those who already own the standard version of the ship.

Not to mention the coal where applicable, if you're close to having Georgia or Thunderer and needed that little extra push.

For some of the ships I think it can be justified, if you have the money. e.g. Graf Zeppelin especially can be set up as a meme secondaries ship or a straight CV with particularly good surface defences, while some might find it desirable to have two versions of the battleships set up both for meme secondaries and as straight BBs rather than constantly pulling modules on and off. But I don't know what I'd do with multiple copies of, say, Sims, Atlanta or Cossack.

[UNC]
Members
888 posts
6,240 battles

My question is this:  Does the mission only unlock if you purchase the black ships now?  Or if you already own some of the previous year's black ships will you still be able to access the missions for the standard version of those ships?  Its pretty clear that you need the standard version of the black ships, but I don't know if I will still get the missions for Atago/Asashio/Mass/Tirpitz because I already own those in black.

[TSF]
Members
352 posts
13,901 battles
22 minutes ago, Uncle_Lou said:

My question is this:  Does the mission only unlock if you purchase the black ships now?  Or if you already own some of the previous year's black ships will you still be able to access the missions for the standard version of those ships?  Its pretty clear that you need the standard version of the black ships, but I don't know if I will still get the missions for Atago/Asashio/Mass/Tirpitz because I already own those in black.

I can answer part of your questions. No, you do not get the missions for Black ships you already own, UNLESS you win those same black ships again. 

For example, if you own a previous year's black ship, take Asashio B for example, and you get that same ship in a 2019 Black Friday crate that you buy for doubloons in the armory as part of the 11 buy string for doubloons, you get 2500 doubloons for the duplicate ship AND the 2500 doubloon mission. The crate will open, it will show you the ship, then it will give you the 2500 doubloons, and the 10 point captain and the port slot, PLUS the mission for another 2500 doubloons, which you can only complete IF you also have the regular version of the ship, in this example, regular Asashio. 

I assume it would work the same way for 2018/2019 loot crates purchased outside the 11 buy string, for either doubloons or cash, but I do not know for sure.

I also do not know if you can get the 2500 doubloons mission if you have already completed it in a previous year for that ship, but the answer seems to be yes according to this statement from Wargaming:

"You can obtain the special combat mission for each ship only once per account during this Black Friday. This mission will be available until January 31, 2021"

Edited by Litigo_1970

Members
6 posts
428 battles

Fyi

Before the Black Friday event I had a Tirpitz and a Tirpitz B. From a container I got the Tirpitz B (2500 dubs) , a 10 point captain and the mission for 2500 dubs.The mission is gor the non-B Tirpitz.

Edited by DottoreBoooom

[D-S-D]
Beta Testers
5 posts
5,938 battles

which, IMHO is a joke, you have a event for a ship that isnt available, offer a "black" version, but it isnt able to participate in that event.....seems like just another way to sperate you from your money

[ARGSY]
Members
22,889 posts
16,962 battles
9 minutes ago, _Lindy_ said:

which, IMHO is a joke, you have a event for a ship that isnt available, offer a "black" version, but it isnt able to participate in that event.....seems like just another way to sperate you from your money

Do you want the combat capabilities of the ship? Yes or no?

Do you think it's worth the money being asked to get those capabilities? Yes or no?

The rest is all window-dressing.

[GGWP]
Members
7,307 posts
17,185 battles
19 minutes ago, _Lindy_ said:

The reasoning is that normally when you pull a duplicate ship from a crate, you get rewarded doubloons for it. But because the black version is technically a separate ship, the game is not wired to do that. 

They added this mission in precisely to reward people that pull it out of a crate and already have the standard version with the same amount of doubloons. Its the same principle as giving doubloons for duplicate ships, but this is the semi complicated way they made it work in the UI. 

If you don't already own the standard version there is no need that they feel you should be compensated. 

Edited by DuckyShot

[PPNA2]
[PPNA2]
Members
70 posts
19,139 battles

So i payed $$ for JB Black not to get full perks of $$ payed, expecting mission to come with it to apply to Black version too. How lovely, since i missed reg JB by 2OK coal when it got pulled....... yep i was right cause JB costed 228k coal in armory. 

Pulling reg ship for any of these is 1 in a million, haven't pulled ship during xmas event in two years, will see will i get lucky!

Edited by ChiefEngineman

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,335 posts
17,503 battles

Yeah same as previous year, give the players that have the non black version some extra incentive. Probable going to work on me. Was going to pass on the JB but hmmm......25k coal? OK you got my attention.

[PVE]
Members
13,174 posts
27,611 battles
2 minutes ago, paradat said:

Yeah same as previous year, give the players that have the non black version some extra incentive. Probable going to work on me. Was going to pass on the JB but hmmm......35k coal? OK you got my attention.

It's 25K Coal just FYI

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,335 posts
17,503 battles
1 minute ago, AdmiralThunder said:

It's 25K Coal just FYI

Right thanks, will edit my post.