You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Black Friday: A little disappointed in you, WG.

17 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
22,899 posts
16,963 battles

Hey WG,

I know you like to sell the big bundles, and I'm impressed with the discounts on this year's ships. I'm glad you didn't lock the JB Black behind a container wall as some people feared you might, and that she's significantly cheaper in dollar terms than the regular one ever was. The design for the premium container is grimly amusing. Well done.

But you know what's not good? Not selling the previous years' ships at a discount this time around. (ETA: I'm told they're in the Armory, but I still think it a mistake not to put them in the shop. Perhaps they didn't want doubloon farming from duplicates, even with reduced dup compensation?)

I know you want to make lots of money and succeed, and I'm all for you doing that. But as I see it, it simply doesn't make good business sense.

I was having a hard time deciding whether I wanted the Kaga B or the Atago B, and there is a strong possibility I might have been tempted to buy both (I don't have either of the originals). And while your refusal to sell the Atago B separately makes the choice simpler for me, it removes it entirely for people who (as I do) already have a Jean Bart, a Cossack and an Atlanta (and don't want a duplicate of either), but who for whatever reason don't want to drive carriers and who can't or won't spend that much on the fleet bundle - and who don't want to take their chances with the roll of the dice (and get something they don't want, like a carrier they can't drive because the aircraft perspective makes them vertiginous).

The mega-huge Fleet bundle is a wonderful package for those who have the money for it and none of the ships mentioned, or who are starting out on a new server and would appreciate the broad cross-section of premium ships it offers. It is, in itself, a well-balanced fleet. A player could have nothing else in their port and still be pretty spoiled for choice. But for me, it duplicates far too much of what I already own and don't need two of - you ironically did far too good a job selling me a lot of the originals over the past few years! :Smile_teethhappy:

The bottom line: WHEN YOU TAKE AWAY OPTIONS, YOU DEPRIVE YOURSELVES OF SALES.

Tagging @Hapa_Fodder to get this sent up the line, please.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2
  • Meh 1

Members
6,204 posts
8,073 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Those supporting the Azur Lane collab have been saying this for years.

But at this point, I think it's obvious they're not going to listen.

[BFL]
Members
14 posts
5,517 battles

Err you can buy  the previous years' ships at a discount in the armory for doublons, they're cheaper than the normal version

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,899 posts
16,963 battles
3 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Those supporting the Azur Lane collab have been saying this for years.

But at this point, I think it's obvious they're not going to listen.

See, I've been able to excuse what they do with the ARP, HSF and Azur Lane stuff because:

a) Those are collaborations

b) The intellectual property is that of the Collaboration partner, and so...

c) The Collaboration partner could easily be the one calling the shots. "You sell our stuff if it's sold in this fashion, or not at all."

However, it's WG in full control this time, and now they have to own their sales tactics. I think it's much better for them to be called out by someone like me who's actually keen on giving them his money than by people with undeclared agendas who immediately start by accusing them of greed and predatory practices. 

Just now, Henut said:

Err you can buy  the previous years' ships at a discount in the armory for doublons, they're cheaper than the normal version

Oooh, can you now? Thank you for that.

In that case I stand at least partially corrected, BUT I still think it's remiss of WG not to have them in the shop.

[PVE]
Members
4,977 posts
21,920 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Hey WG,

I know you like to sell the big bundles, and I'm impressed with the discounts on this year's ships. I'm glad you didn't lock the JB Black behind a container wall as some people feared you might, and that she's significantly cheaper in dollar terms than the regular one ever was. The design for the premium container is grimly amusing. Well done.

But you know what's not good? Not selling the previous years' ships at a discount this time around. (ETA: I'm told they're in the Armory, but I still think it a mistake not to put them in the shop. Perhaps they didn't want doubloon farming from duplicates, even with reduced dup compensation?)

I know you want to make lots of money and succeed, and I'm all for you doing that. But as I see it, it simply doesn't make good business sense.

I was having a hard time deciding whether I wanted the Kaga B or the Atago B, and there is a strong possibility I might have been tempted to buy both (I don't have either of the originals). And while your refusal to sell the Atago B separately makes the choice simpler for me, it removes it entirely for people who (as I do) already have a Jean Bart, a Cossack and an Atlanta (and don't want a duplicate of either), but who for whatever reason don't want to drive carriers and who can't or won't spend that much on the fleet bundle - and who don't want to take their chances with the roll of the dice (and get something they don't want, like a carrier they can't drive because the aircraft perspective makes them vertiginous).

The mega-huge Fleet bundle is a wonderful package for those who have the money for it and none of the ships mentioned, or who are starting out on a new server and would appreciate the broad cross-section of premium ships it offers. It is, in itself, a well-balanced fleet. A player could have nothing else in their port and still be pretty spoiled for choice. But for me, it duplicates far too much of what I already own and don't need two of - you ironically did far too good a job selling me a lot of the originals over the past few years! :Smile_teethhappy:

Tagging @Hapa_Fodder to get this sent up the line, please.

Honestly, our host's business practices are third world and in that, they produce the M = P results that keeps them in business with little risk.....  They have enough "other game titles" that it really doesn't matter to them.  And, because they spent the first three years being generous, that gives them at least six years before older player abandon the game because of "cheap business practices"....

@Hapa_Fodder can only pass a note to the teacher......  And, they seriously, don't care; nor, need to........^^^^^^^......because, they don't need to. 

• Meh 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,899 posts
16,963 battles
1 minute ago, Learux said:

keep your wallet closed.

This is not what I'm trying to debate here, especially since my major criticism seems to be at least partially in error.

I'm trying to discuss what they might do to make MORE money, not telling people not to spend at all. You want to tell people not to spend? Fine. Kindly make your own thread. You want to inject your take on carriers into it? Also start your own thread.

Kindly refrain from sheltering YOUR controversial topics under the umbrella of someone else's post.

• Cool 2

[GOB]
Members
2,696 posts

Don't need them but thought it would be cool to have them anyway, but I was looking at getting the AK Black and MASS Black.. problem is, I want their commanders too.  It seems I have to buy 8 commanders to get the 2 that I want. REALLY????

I went from happy to.............

gidtdtuphy.gif

Edited by Col_Nasty

[ARGSY]
Members
22,899 posts
16,963 battles
3 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

problem is, I want their commanders too.  It seems I have to buy 8 commanders to get the 2 that I want. REALLY????

The commanders are just gravy, and too much of that will make you fat, clog your coronaries and kill you.

Mind you, I say this from the perspective of someone who buys premium ships almost exclusively to put his existing commanders in, so maybe it's just that my mindset simply can't see your problem. And then we are in YMMV/agree to differ territory.

• Cool 1

[-TKS-]
Members
1,279 posts
10,163 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

c) The Collaboration partner could easily be the one calling the shots. "You sell our stuff if it's sold in this fashion, or not at all."

I would agree with this only if the Azur Lane side of the collab wasn’t so well done. You can get any of the PR ships for free. There really isn’t a way to expedite that with $$$. So honestly until evidence arrives to prove otherwise I’m putting this all on WG.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,899 posts
16,963 battles
1 minute ago, Usedcarjock said:

I would agree with this only if the Azur Lane side of the collab wasn’t so well done. You can get any of the PR ships for free. There really isn’t a way to expedite that with $$$. So honestly until evidence arrives to prove otherwise I’m putting this all on WG.

I don't play Azur Lane at all, so I can't speak from experience for what they did on their own turf. But I did say in my original post that it's definitely on WG this time.

I would have liked to see the older ships in the Premium Shop as well as the Armory. I stated in my edit, when shown that they are in fact available individually IN THE ARMORY, that I think I know why they aren't in the shop. But the main thrust of why I wrote this post has actually turned out to be an oversight on my part.

Members
6,204 posts
8,073 battles
7 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

See, I've been able to excuse what they do with the ARP, HSF and Azur Lane stuff because:

a) Those are collaborations

b) The intellectual property is that of the Collaboration partner, and so...

However, it's WG in full control this time, and now they have to own their sales tactics. I think it's much better for them to be called out by someone like me who's actually keen on giving them his money than by people with undeclared agendas who immediately start by accusing them of greed and predatory practices. 

For me, considering that the AL collab isn't the only time they've done this (take away options in favor of bigger, more expensive bundles), I'm inclined to believe that it's solely because WG would rather try to milk tons of money out of whales than cast a wide net.

This is compounded by the fact that the first wave did have options, and the second time the first wave came around, we eventually got those options back (even if they weren't there initially). (HSF captains, when they finally came around, were also sold individually, along side a bundle, if I'm recalling correctly) But every subsequent "collab"/wave has been absent of options like the first had.

And also being familiar with Azur Lane, as I play that game too, and having a fairly good idea of how Manjuu/Yostar's monetization model works, I have a very hard time believing that they'd tell WG to only sell the captains in big, overpriced bundles, or through gambling crates only.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[ARGSY]
Members
22,899 posts
16,963 battles
5 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

And also being familiar with Azur Lane, as I play that game too, and having a fairly good idea of how Manjuu/Yostar's monetization model works, I have a very hard time believing that they'd tell WG to only sell the captains in big, overpriced bundles, or through gambling crates only.

I guess that completes the picture, doesn't it? :Smile_sad:

For myself I must confess more than a tiny kernel of "It doesn't bother me." This year, what I wanted out of the Azur Lane collab was one thing and one only - the Yukikaze. I don't play the AL game, I don't care for the captains' looks or their personalities (it might mean more to me if I actually spoke Japanese), all I want is a pixel ship and a laptop to drive her on. AL Yuki captain got specced in a way I sort of regret now, but it doesn't matter because she's been in reserve ever since. When any captain goes in her ship, it's my DD-spec IJN 19 pointer.

I know the dedicated fans don't feel that way and I'm annoyed for their sakes, but not on a visceral missing-out level.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,859 posts
24,415 battles
5 hours ago, Learux said:

Unlike CVs there is counter play here,  keep your wallet closed.

Im not a weeb and I dont need a different colored copy of ships I already have, so NP. 

Banned
1,424 posts
6,083 battles
7 hours ago, Henut said:

You have got to be kidding. I bought the Massachusetts only a few days ago

Damn, WG really screwed me up this time

Edited by WarStore

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,516 posts
4,771 battles
7 hours ago, Henut said:

Not much cheaper.  Alaska B is $65 USD.