You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

Which one do you think is the better choice overall?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Shikishima or FDR?

• FDR
    • Shikishima

15 comments in this topic

[NFJF]
Members
707 posts
10,838 battles

So, as someone who has been a BB main since the beginning and also despises CVs, especially in competitive settings, I really can't believe that I'm contemplating this choice either. However, I'm mainly looking objectively at their potential in CB and ranked battles. When it comes to competitive modes, I'm more of a play to win than a play to have fun type of player. That being the case I tend to go for ships that trend well in those modes rather than what my "personal taste" wants.  Also, I'm not a great CV player, however, I'm attracted to FDR because it seems to require very minimal skill and knowledge. I base this theory off my observations of it in game, as well as knowing that it has a massive number of planes in each squad and the HP of those planes is insane. Basically it appears that FDR can penetrate any AA bubble no matter how strong and get of 2 or more drops before having to break off due to the sheer number of planes and the HP they have compared to other T10 CVs. A clanmate of mine ran her and had great success at affecting the outcome of the game despite having little CV experience. It seems FDR's ability to affect the tide of the battle is borderline OP, especially in CBs and ranked, which is why I'm considering her over Shikishima.

Now, as a BB main, Shikishima is more attractive to me on the surface by a longshot. However, from an objective standpoint, I really don't see her having nearly as much of a direct impact on the game compared to the FDR. I would really love having a Yamato hull with those huge guns, good aa, and secondaries. However, outside of those 3 things, she really doesn't have anything else going for her that Yamato doesn't already cover. Also, Yamato is one of my lesser liked t10 BBs, as I really don't like her lack of versatility compared to other t10 BBs. Since Shikishima plays more or less the same as Yamato, I really don't see myself enjoying her as much as I've enjoyed other T10 premium BBs like Bourgogne, Ohio, and Thunderer. 

In closing, my natural instinct as a BB main is to get Shikishima. She is within the class I play the most and perform the best in. Also, even though she will likely never be among my favorite BBs to play, I know I could still do well with her and not feel that I made a bad steel purchase. On the other hand, if FDR is really as game breaking and noob friendly as she appears to be, I think she could serve me well in competitive settings. As I said her planes appear to be literal juggernauts that charge in and do massive damage no matter how intense the AA fire and typically have plenty of HP to spare for a follow up attack or 2 before having to break off. Which one would you all get?

[REVY]
Members
8,259 posts
6,118 battles
2 minutes ago, admiralsexybeast said:

So, as someone who has been a BB main since the beginning and also despises CVs, especially in competitive settings, I really can't believe that I'm contemplating this choice either. However, I'm mainly looking objectively at their potential in CB and ranked battles. When it comes to competitive modes, I'm more of a play to win than a play to have fun type of player. That being the case I tend to go for ships that trend well in those modes rather than what my "personal taste" wants.  Also, I'm not a great CV player, however, I'm attracted to FDR because it seems to require very minimal skill and knowledge. I base this theory off my observations of it in game, as well as knowing that it has a massive number of planes in each squad and the HP of those planes is insane. Basically it appears that FDR can penetrate any AA bubble no matter how strong and get of 2 or more drops before having to break off due to the sheer number of planes and the HP they have compared to other T10 CVs. A clanmate of mine ran her and had great success at affecting the outcome of the game despite having little CV experience. It seems FDR's ability to affect the tide of the battle is borderline OP, especially in CBs and ranked, which is why I'm considering her over Shikishima.

Now, as a BB main, Shikishima is more attractive to me on the surface by a longshot. However, from an objective standpoint, I really don't see her having nearly as much of a direct impact on the game compared to the FDR. I would really love having a Yamato hull with those huge guns, good aa, and secondaries. However, outside of those 3 things, she really doesn't have anything else going for her that Yamato doesn't already cover. Also, Yamato is one of my lesser liked t10 BBs, as I really don't like her lack of versatility compared to other t10 BBs. Since Shikishima plays more or less the same as Yamato, I really don't see myself enjoying her as much as I've enjoyed other T10 premium BBs like Bourgogne, Ohio, and Thunderer. 

In closing, my natural instinct as a BB main is to get Shikishima. She is within the class I play the most and perform the best in. Also, even though she will likely never be among my favorite BBs to play, I know I could still do well with her and not feel that I made a bad steel purchase. On the other hand, if FDR is really as game breaking and noob friendly as she appears to be, I think she could serve me well in competitive settings. As I said her planes appear to be literal juggernauts that charge in and do massive damage no matter how intense the AA fire and typically have plenty of HP to spare for a follow up attack or 2 before having to break off. Which one would you all get?

Go with what you love.

[F4E]
Alpha Tester
1,096 posts

Do you have any CV experience?  At all?  FDR isn’t overly “noob friendly” as you say.  Yes, she hits like a truck.  She’s also envious of t6 plane speeds and has a regen rate that makes Saipan look like it might as well be an Enterprise.

[NFJF]
Members
707 posts
10,838 battles
18 minutes ago, gbgentry said:

Do you have any CV experience?

Not on the live server post rework in PVP. I did dabble in them a little bit back in the RTS days but I really only play them on the test server in PVP to avoid possibly hurting my PVP stats. Improving my stats is important to me as my long term goal is to get all my numbers in the dark green to blue area. This is why I try to obtain ships that do well statistically in PVP and competitive and FDR seems to be one of those. I would be able to be effective in Shikishima right out of the gate, because I'm a BB main. However, if I were able to practice with FDR for awhile after getting her, I feel I could have a more direct impact on the game as I would be able to project my power all over the map.

[46856]
Members
1,899 posts

FDR, so far all encounters against a Shik have been meh for me. They are not something to write home to grandma about. Not that good of a boat.

[F4E]
Alpha Tester
1,096 posts
3 minutes ago, admiralsexybeast said:

Not on the live server post rework in PVP. I did dabble in them a little bit back in the RTS days but I really only play them on the test server in PVP to avoid possibly hurting my PVP stats. Improving my stats is important to me as my long term goal is to get all my numbers in the dark green to blue area. This is why I try to obtain ships that do well statistically in PVP and competitive and FDR seems to be one of those. I would be able to be effective in Shikishima right out of the gate, because I'm a BB main. However, if I were able to practice with FDR for awhile after getting her, I feel I could have a more direct impact on the game as I would be able to project my power all over the map.

Personally, as a CV main, I don’t mind facing FDR because the majority of players are like you:  Overconfident because of what FDR has the potential to do.  If you decide to get it, plane management will be essential.  It’s only a matter of time before someone decides to stalk your squadrons and drop fighters right in front of you.  Once that happens, you’re way too slow to escape & you’ll instantly lose a good number of planes.  That happens a few times and...

Yes, she can put very nice numbers up, especially if you’ve played with the Saipan before.  She’s not an “I Win” button, however.  

[CLUMP]
Members
1,404 posts
1,871 battles

Depends do like big cannons that go boom have a somewhat dodgy aim and dispersion :Smile_hiding: You like CVs with slow beefy planes that have long cooldown attack for CVs :Smile_popcorn:

[CLUMP]
Members
1,404 posts
1,871 battles
1 hour ago, gbgentry said:

Do you have any CV experience?  At all?  FDR isn’t overly “noob friendly” as you say.  Yes, she hits like a truck.  She’s also envious of t6 plane speeds and has a regen rate that makes Saipan look like it might as well be an Enterprise.

:Smile_great:

FDR is not for noob CV players takes a lot of skill to use it a tactical CV that requires planning ahead and such :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by LastRemnant
  • Thanks 1

[NSEW]
Members
463 posts
4,062 battles

Shiki looks to me like something more to have fun in randoms with the 510mm don't really cross any important thresholds for over matching and you're more open to get inconsistent performance with lower shell volume

FDR is probably going to do better for you in CB

[SEAST]
Members
71 posts
10,832 battles

Unless you go for secondaries, Shikishima offers very similar experience to a Yamato. FDR is very unique that no other CV are even close.

[NFJF]
Members
76 posts
2,279 battles
3 hours ago, admiralsexybeast said:

So, as someone who has been a BB main since the beginning and also despises CVs, especially in competitive settings, I really can't believe that I'm contemplating this choice either. However, ........  Also, I'm not a great CV player, however, I'm attracted to FDR because it seems to require very minimal skill and knowledge. I base this theory off my observations of it in game, as well as knowing that it has a massive number of planes in each squad and the HP of those planes is insane.

Well i was in the same boat as you ... well sort of i could afford both but only wanted to buy one and and by no means am i  cv captain . I ended going with the fdr cause i had enough 6 gun boats to entertain me . I can tell you the fdr isnt as noob friendly as you think . if you dont know how to dodge and eat flak regularly your going to waste planes .  Its ok for cb's and better in early leagues but the mvr is so much more meta . 

i wont be playing the fdr much in Randoms if at all . dont regret the purchase but theres a big part of me that wish i picked the shika. 

• Thanks 1

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,810 posts

If you havent put the effort into becoming good at CVs yet in your Wows career, having an FDR will not magically make you the carry your team needs in CW.

There are CV players, and then there are people who just own some CVs.

leave the CV to a CV main and stick to what you claim is your forte, which in this case would be a Shikishima.

[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
612 posts
12,458 battles

Op, I could have written this exact post. Watching the FDR in clan battles made me think I could play T 10 CV it was FDR.

My biggest problem with CV (besides lack of experience) is dodging flak and lingering in an AA bubble too long. FDR mitigates those issues.

Shika would likely just be another BB sitting in my port. I have most of the T 10 BBs so certainly don't "need" her.

I'm gonna get the FDR because it will be different and may help me learn to play high level CV. At least I can play around with it in co op if that doesn't work out.