You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shannon_Lindsey

The new ship announcement is infuriating

55 comments in this topic

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,140 posts
11,170 battles

This set of new ships just announced is infuriating, for many reasons. First I want to discuss the BB.
phpDncIgI

This is the new French BB. What is the issue with it? Well...ahem...Gascogne and Champagne come to mind. What do these three ships have in common? None of them existed. A little paper is okay, but that is 3 tier 8 French premium BBs that are fakes. How many do we really need?

Second is the USS Austin. It is a CL at tier X with worse guns than any other US tier X cruiser, and lacks both smoke and radar. It is junk. Sure, when you hit the main battery reload booster, it becomes terrifying for a few seconds, but it only gets one charge. No matter what resource or price they put on it, it's too much. 

Finally there is the big turd in the punch bowl, X Immelmann. It's a paper German CV with skip bombers, a technology used by the allies, but to my knowledge never by the Germans. Also it is the 3rd German Premium/Special ship CV in the game. Why are the Germans getting so much CV love??? WG is ignoring the nation that revolutionized CV warfare, the Imperial Japanese Navy, who only have one premium CV in the game and are being very eglected on the CV front.

So I want to take a moment to talk about Japanese CVs and what we could have in the game.

Alt tech tree line: VI Zuiho, VIII Hiryu, X Taiho

Possible premiums: VI Shoho, VI Hiyo, VI Junyo, VIII Akagi, VIII Soryu, VIII Zuikaku, VIII Unryu, VIII Katsuragi, X Shinano 

That is the most infuriating part. Paper ships tend to be OP which the Richthofen is, and Immelmann could very well also be, yet every one of the Japanese ships listed above were built, yet we are waiting still for all of them, when SEA is the server CVs are most popular on, and is also the home server of Japan. I don't get what WG is thinking. This is pouring salt on an open wound.

Edited by Shannon_Lindsey
  • Cool 5
  • Funny 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 3

[REVY]
Members
8,239 posts
6,118 battles
3 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

That is the most infuriating part. Paper ships tend to be OP which the Richthofen is, and Immelmann could very well also be, yet every one of the Japanese ships listed above were built, yet we are waiting still for all of them, when SEA is the server CVs are most popular on, and is also the home server of Japan. I don't get what WG is thinking. This is pouring salt on an open wound.

We're stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Either we get real ships that suck like Oklahoma, or we get paper ships that happen to fit the game's meta.

• Boring 1

Members
19 posts

Why is this kind of "argument" still a thing in 2020? it doesn't matter if a ship is "paper" or not, World of Warships is an arcade game so historical accuracy mostly matters when it's about a ship's looks, and lately they've started ignoring this as well so that should tell you something. (By the way, 5 years ago, WoWs was being beta tested with Montana, Izumo, Zao, Ibuki and Hakuryu in the game, BETA TESTED, so imagine how much impact complaining about "paper" ships had/has.)

• Cool 5

[46856]
Members
1,899 posts
41 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Why are the Germans getting so much CV love???

Pipe line dude. Once its done they will kick em to the curb. WG politburo made the decision.

Edited by Chain_shot

Beta Testers
575 posts
6,377 battles

I am actually very curious about how these decisions are made.

Has anyone ever said "I wish there was another tier 8 French BB in the game"?

Maybe it is just that they happen to have very detailed info on some ships so it is lower effort to put them in the game.

I'd really love to know how they make the decisions.

• Funny 1
  • Meh 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,069 posts

Just think of WOWS as existing in an alternate timeline and you will be just fine with the ships; it's not fantasy per se but exists in a "what if" world. 

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
8,623 posts
12,538 battles
10 minutes ago, Martin31415 said:

Maybe it is just that they happen to have very detailed info on some ships

iirc, in a video it said that WG got BOXES full of blueprints for French ships, so they probably had alot of different designs among them

[REVY]
Members
8,239 posts
6,118 battles
15 minutes ago, Ziniw said:

Why is this kind of "argument" still a thing in 2020? it doesn't matter if a ship is "paper" or not

The reason this argument exists is 2020 is because it does matter.  Why is France of all nations being flooded with paper ships?  France made 4 very nice Battleships for WWII and WGing hasn't even put all of them in the game yet.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[HINON]
Members
8,623 posts
12,538 battles
5 minutes ago, Sventex said:

The reason this argument exists is 2020 is because it does matter.  Why is France of all nations being flooded with paper ships?  France made 4 very nice Battleships for WWII and WGing hasn't even put all of them in the game yet.

you mean the Dunkerque, Strasburg, Richelieu and Jean Bart? Strasburg is about to come in with the New Year's event, i assume those are the 4 you mean, as ive never heard of any other after the Richelieu sisters

Edited by tcbaker777
  • Cool 1

Members
541 posts

Another fantasy French BB and I'm over here still waiting for USS New Jersey (and Wisconsin)

(ugh how the hell you add pictures on this forum? theyre always blank links)

USS New Jersey1.jpg529325874_USSNewJersey1.thumb.jpg.f8c0db168d7f6edb8496463581ba1c9d.jpg529325874_USSNewJersey1.thumb.jpg.f8c0db168d7f6edb8496463581ba1c9d.jpg

USS New Jersey1.jpg

Edited by MrSparkle
  • Boring 1

[REVY]
Members
8,239 posts
6,118 battles
1 minute ago, tcbaker777 said:

you mean the Dunkirk, Strasburg, Richelieu and Jean Bart? Strasburg is about to come in with the New Year's event

Yeah.  They all fit into a pretty a decent techline too, but instead they made 3 out of the 4 real ships France built into Premiums.

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
38,024 battles
1 hour ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

This set of new ships just announced is infuriating, for many reasons. First I want to discuss the BB.

This is the new French BB. What is the issue with it? Well...ahem...Gascogne and Champagne come to mind. What do these three ships have in common? None of them existed. A little paper is okay, but that is 3 tier 8 French premium BBs that are fakes. How many do we really need?

Not only that but... do French BBs really sell that well? I never see Champagne or Gascogne in game... and now we have another T8 premium French BB that won't sell...

[REVY]
Members
8,239 posts
6,118 battles
Just now, Taichunger said:

Not only that but... do French BBs really sell that well? I never see Champagne or Gascogne in game... and now we have another T8 premium French BB that won't sell...

I have to wonder if we're close to the point that Premium ships will outnumber tech tree ships.  Maybe WGing make their money from just the sheer volume of whale bait.

[SALVO]
Members
26,042 posts
28,722 battles
1 hour ago, Sventex said:

We're stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Either we get real ships that suck like Oklahoma, or we get paper ships that happen to fit the game's meta.

The annoying thing is that the OK didn't have to suck.  They didn't have to make her pen so dreadful.  Just because during testing it was OP doesn't mean that the response has to be going to the other extreme.  If anything, they could have just given the OK thoroughly average AP pen for a tier 5  BB with those guns.

• Cool 1

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,842 battles

X Shinano 

Leave Shinano out of this travesty of a game.

She does not deserve the insult that WG would no doubt do her.

• Meh 2

[REVY]
Members
8,239 posts
6,118 battles
5 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Leave Shinano out of this travesty of a game.

She does not deserve the insult that WG would no doubt do her.

Too late

y96QsXP.jpg

• Thanks 1

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,842 battles
Just now, Sventex said:

Too late

Different game.

Modern WoWS and Ancient WoWS are as different as night and day.

[CLUMP]
Members
1,378 posts
1,838 battles

phpDncIgI

Second is the USS Austin. It is a CL at tier X with worse guns than any other US tier X cruiser, and lacks both smoke and radar. It is junk. Sure, when you hit the main battery reload booster, it because terrifying for a few seconds, but it only gets one charge. No matter what resource or price they put on it, it's too much. 

Finally there is the big turd in the punch bowl, X Immelmann. It's a paper German CV with skip bombers, a technology used by the allies, but to my knowledge never by the Germans. Also it is the 3rd German Premium/Special ship CV in the game. Why are the Germans getting so much CV love??? WG is ignoring the nation that revolutionized CV warfare, the Imperial Japanese Navy, who only have one premium CV in the game and are being very eglected on the CV front.

So I want to take a moment to talk about Japanese CVs and what we could have in the game.

Alt tech tree line: VI Zuiho, VIII Hiryu, X Taiho

Possible premiums: VI Shoho, VI Hiyo, VI Junyo, VIII Akagi, VIII Soryu, VIII Zuikaku, VIII Unryu, VIII Katsuragi, X Shinano 

Have you played world of tanks a good portion of the tanks in that game where doodles on paper :Smile_teethhappy:

[REVY]
Members
8,239 posts
6,118 battles
19 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

Have you played world of tanks a good portion of the tanks in that game where doodles on paper :Smile_teethhappy:

Italian Battleships were real, why put the priority on all these paper French Battleships?

• Boring 1

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,142 battles
5 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Italian Battleships were real, why put the priority on all these paper French Battleships?

Real ships are finite.  Paper ships are infinite.  They never want to run out of real ships to keep the people attached to those ships on the hook.  So as the game progresses the mix is going to favor paper over real more and more.

It's not really about satisfying the players, it's more about keeping them on the hook.  F2P

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
8,239 posts
6,118 battles
Just now, CommodoreKang said:

Real ships are finite.  Paper ships are infinite.  They never want to run out of real ships to keep the people attached to those ships on the hook.  So as the game progresses the mix is going to favor paper over real more and more.

It's not really about satisfying the players, it's more about keeping them on the hook.  F2P

There were 90 Battleships and 823 Destroyers in WWII alone.  They wouldn't run out for at least a decade.

• Boring 1

[HINON]
Members
8,623 posts
12,538 battles

This set of new ships just announced is infuriating

its WG, infuriating and disappointing is basically the name of their game nowadays

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,142 battles
Just now, Sventex said:

There were 90 Battleships and 823 Destroyers in WWII alone.  They wouldn't run out for at least a decade.

Maybe they are just doing it for the heck of it then?

[REVY]
Members
8,239 posts
6,118 battles
Just now, CommodoreKang said:

Maybe they are just doing it for the heck of it then?

I don't know man, they won't even bother remaking the model faithfully between ships of the same class but they will go to great lengths to create paper ships that totally obscure.