You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MadMaxMav

Why doesn't Wargaming use the real-life Captain's images for the ships?

7 comments in this topic

[TXGUN]
[TXGUN]
Members
43 posts
15,317 battles

I would love to see Wargaming use the real-life Captains of ships, anyone who was actually in the Navy as a Commander {i.e., M.C. Hammer, Jimmy Carter, Cesar Romero (1960's TV Joker)} or played a Navy Commander (John Wayne), I mean they did have Steven Seagal for awhile (then changed his name to, lmbo, John Doe), or Captains from the past as modern-day Captains (John Paul Jones, Horatio Nelson).   Any reason why Wargaming cannot do this AWESOMEness?  I mean more of them, not just a few here & there.

Edited by MadMaxMav

[WOLF7]
Members
820 posts
4 minutes ago, MadMaxMav said:

I would love to see Wargaming use the real-life Captains of ships, anyone who was actually in the Navy as a Commander {i.e., M.C. Hammer, Jimmy Carter, Cesar Romero (1960's TV Joker)} or played a Navy Commander (John Wayne), I mean they did have Steven Seagal for awhile (then changed his name to, lmbo, John Doe), or Captains from the past as modern-day Captains (John Paul Jones, Horatio Nelson).   Any reason why Wargaming cannot do this AWESOMEness?

This gentleman is a real captain that is in-game. I have him trained on Omaha (naturally) and switch him between Omaha and Marblehead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_E._Chandler

[AN2AC]
Members
151 posts
9,171 battles
13 minutes ago, MadMaxMav said:

I would love to see Wargaming use the real-life Captains of ships, anyone who was actually in the Navy as a Commander {i.e., M.C. Hammer, Jimmy Carter, Cesar Romero (1960's TV Joker)} or played a Navy Commander (John Wayne), I mean they did have Steven Seagal for awhile (then changed his name to, lmbo, John Doe), or Captains from the past as modern-day Captains (John Paul Jones, Horatio Nelson).   Any reason why Wargaming cannot do this AWESOMEness?

I'm guessing using a real persons name may require payment of some sort to use their name. Either to them personally, or if they are deceased then to a relative?

• Cool 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,158 posts
19 minutes ago, Otago_F111 said:

I'm guessing using a real persons name may require payment of some sort to use their name. Either to them personally, or if they are deceased then to a relative?

This is the answer. It would be difficult to contact every commander's surviving family to get permission to use their likeness. There are exceptions though if the person was a well-known historical figure. However, you can still run into trouble if you use someone else's picture or artwork directly or even as the basis for your image and are also doing so for profit.

Since WOWS appears to be set in an alternate fictional timeline (given the preponderance of "paper" ships) we can also assume that the commanders of that timeline would be different from the ones in ours.

That's not saying that you can't change your commanders' names and images to anything you want for your personal use -- it's easily done. Just don't show them in a stream or YouTube video or anything else you are doing for profit. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[REVY]
Members
8,258 posts
6,118 battles
18 minutes ago, Otago_F111 said:

I don't know, you can have George Patton or President Charles de Gaulle as a tanker in World of Tanks.

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/updates/guide-to-crew-skins-0919/

• Historical Rare Crew Skins
  •  
  • Historical Common Crew Skins 1
  •  
  • Historical Common Crew Skins 2
  •  
  • Non-historical Common Crew Skins

crew_skins_vasily_chapaev_100x.jpg

Vasily Chapayev Restrictions: Male; U.S.S.R.

Fought in the First World War as a division commander of the Red Army. He became popular in Russia at that time thanks to the novel Chapaev by Dmitry Furmanov. He still frequently appears in movies and anecdotes.

crew_skins_charles_de_gaulle_100x.jpg

Charles de Gaulle Restrictions: Commander; Male; France

A French army general and statesman who led the French Resistance in World War II and later became the President of France. De Gaulle resisted the very idea of surrendering France to the foe and fought hard to put an end to the occupation.

crew_skins_josef_svejk_100x.jpg

Švejk Josef Restrictions: Male; Czechoslovakia

"Not every man can have wisdom. Stupid people have to exist too, because if everyone were wise then there would be so much good sense in the world that every other person would be driven crazy by it."

crew_skins_mikhail_katukov_100x.jpg

Mikhail Katukov Restrictions: Commander; Male; U.S.S.R.

Marshal of Armored Troops, twice awarded the title of the Hero of the Soviet Union. His troops played critical role in the Battle of Moscow, the Battle of Kursk, the Battle of Berlin, as well as other significant battles during World War II.

crew_skins_george_patton_100x.jpg

George Patton Restrictions: Commander; Male; U.S.A.

One of the most influential generals during World War II. He commanded the U.S. troops in the Mediterranean, during the Allied attacks on Sicily and in Normandy. As a tough military leader, he required strict discipline from his soldiers.

crew_skins_pavel_rybalko_110x.jpg

Pavel Rybalko Restrictions: Commander; Male; U.S.S.R.

A Soviet commander of the tank and combined arms troops, twice Hero of the Soviet Union. He participated in many military operations, including the Battle of Kharkov, the Battle of Kursk, and the Battle of Berlin.

Alpha Tester
6,628 posts
3,333 battles
44 minutes ago, MadMaxMav said:

Any reason why Wargaming cannot do this AWESOMEness?

Because if they used the real likeness of German, Italian, or Japanese commanders, you'd get people saying that WG supports fascists. It's ridiculous, but that's how it works.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[HELLS]
Members
2,788 posts
30,080 battles

Horace Hood commanded a battlecruiser division at Jutland and went down with his ship. Real life admiral. In the Armory for doubloons. I have the four real guys, Halsey, Yamamoto, Cunningham, and Samsonetti. Ijuin was the IJN commander at Empress Augusta Bay. Armory as well. No lack of historical sailors as there at least one for each major navy available. Here is a list I would not mind having

RN

Bruce Fraser, Phillip Vian, William Tennant, John Tovey

USN

Thomas Kincaid, Willis Lee, Raymond Spruance, Mark Mitscher

IJN

Takeo Kurita, Seiji Ozawa, Raizo Tanaka, Gunichi Mikawa

All of the above are flag rank. I can think of about a dozen ship's captains in the above navies worthy of mention as well.