Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AVR_Project

Haven't had a lockup in several days....

9 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,151
[GWG]
Members
7,376 posts
14,143 battles

Hey WG !!!     GOOD JOB !!!!!

Whatever you are doing, please keep doing it.   And Thanks !!!!   :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
969
[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,457 posts

Sadly, I'm having more and more of them, including the infamous stutter

I did notice that after one REALLY bad game... I logged out... and back in again.....

and somewhere along the way, the game decided to make my screen a windowed affair.... that isn't the first time that has happened lately... I fixed it... but how the HELL is that supposed to happen?

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,136
[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,244 posts
12,113 battles
11 minutes ago, kiwi1960 said:

Sadly, I'm having more and more of them, including the infamous stutter

I did notice that after one REALLY bad game... I logged out... and back in again.....

and somewhere along the way, the game decided to make my screen a windowed affair.... that isn't the first time that has happened lately... I fixed it... but how the HELL is that supposed to happen?

 

I have been getting the stutters and freezes just lately for the first time ever . 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,224
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,254 posts

If you aren't rebooting your computer daily I recommend that you do so. When I start having issues with my system it's usually because something has automatically updated and the system is in need of a reboot to finish the install. 

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
969
[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,457 posts
10 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

If you aren't rebooting your computer daily I recommend that you do so. When I start having issues with my system it's usually because something has automatically updated and the system is in need of a reboot to finish the install. 

Doesn't happen on my system, at every stage of an update process, I'm kept informed... what driver is being updated, why etc... I always have the last word...

But no recent updates have taken place.

Here's what I think, about what is happening to me...

The settings default to WINDOWED, for whatever reason... a bug in the game? But it stays full screen.... that there is a conflict... causing the stutter.... made worse by the fact that my anti virus is also no restarted... there is a "PLAY GAME mode which I use, the anti virus does the BARE minimum to keep my system safe when it detects a FULL SCREEN game.... if not, it hogs system resources, checks EVERYTHING, for example, WoWs is sending to me as part of the game...

Hence, again, the stutter. I was lucky to catch it when I exited the game and went back in.... the game is changing my settings without my permission.... maybe from a bug or some other glitch....

As soon as I make it FULL SCREEN.... it gets better. The thing is, WHY.... HOW is the game changing my settings without my permission....

This is the THIRD TIME now that the game has done this....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,224
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,254 posts
2 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

no recent updates have taken place.

I run my system Full Screen, Windowed and it seems to work better that way. I also have removed the software that came with my video card and installed only the driver. Your video card's software may be changing the settings due to how it thinks you want to play the game. Check to see of something like a "gaming" mode is selected. I found that the Radeon software was glitchy on my system so I removed it and have only the driver itself installed. This takes a bit of finagling to do with AMD cards as they don't really give you this option anymore but you can do this by downloading the complete software then unpacking it, cancelling the install, and then going to Windows' Display Adapter settings and installing the driver from the unpack location.

 

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
969
[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,457 posts
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I run my system Full Screen, Windowed and it seems to work better that way. I also have removed the software that came with my video card and installed only the driver. Your video card's software may be changing the settings due to how it thinks you want to play the game. Check to see of something like a "gaming" mode is selected. I found that the Radeon software was glitchy on my system so I removed it and have only the driver itself installed. This takes a bit of finagling to do with AMD cards as they don't really give you this option anymore but you can do this by downloading the complete software then unpacking it, cancelling the install, and then going to Windows' Display Adapter settings and installing the driver from the unpack location.

 

Well, thanks for that, but as I said, I'm happy with the way my system runs.... the game... not so much. Of all the games I run and other utilities, WoWs is the only one that is causing problems.

As for me knowing, or not knowing what I'm doing, I do know... I'm 60.5 years old and have been using computers since they first came out... that includes the 4.5MHZ IBM that didn't have a hard drive as the MFM drives hadn't yet been invented, but it was slightly before the floppy drive.... which is why my IBM had a cassette interface.... yes, that makes me old... it also means I've been doing this stuff for years and years...

Ergo.... its NOT my video card OR my driver for it

Thanks for the advice though, I'm sure it will help someone... just ...not me.

As I stated... the glitch is within the game itself...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,224
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,254 posts
1 minute ago, kiwi1960 said:

 

Thanks for the advice though, I'm sure it will help someone... just ...not me.

As I stated... the glitch is within the game itself...

I've got a few years on you but we are close to the same age. I can generally get WOWS running OK but I do realize that certain systems can find certain software glitchy. It's ironic too that older games oftentimes run better on older systems like mine (which I built ten years ago) than they do on more modern ones. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Well, I just heard the bell so my cleaning rags are washed. Back out to the shop to do some more wood sorting and cleaning. Got to get started on those Christmas presents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
969
[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,457 posts
5 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I've got a few years on you but we are close to the same age. I can generally get WOWS running OK but I do realize that certain systems can find certain software glitchy. It's ironic too that older games oftentimes run better on older systems like mine (which I built ten years ago) than they do on more modern ones. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Well, I just heard the bell so my cleaning rags are washed. Back out to the shop to do some more wood sorting and cleaning. Got to get started on those Christmas presents.

I also built my own system after arriving here in Holland around April last year. I took the opportunity to use SSD for the first time ever.  Since then, its been expanded into a tower with a grand total of four hard drives and one DVD burner...

Yes, older games do at times run better on older machines, but that isn't always a given. Fallout Four *is* a glitch filled game no matter if a new or older machine is being used. I have always had this opinion that WoWs has a tech deficit disorder, the older a bug is, the more problems it creates further down the line. Problems that were fixed, supposedly,  are starting to reappear. I will say that up until recently, its been very well behaved....

Then everyone mentioned the stutter, sure, I was affected and I've noticed that its seriously getting worse and worse

I'm hoping the new update really does fix the problem this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×