You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Tokamak_Raven

Emile Bertin: embarrasingly awful

11 comments in this topic

[WHS]
Members
242 posts
3,991 battles

When I first got the French tier 5 cruiser Emile Bertin, I was quite pleased with its sleek, modern look. It was a big upgrade from the floating cardboard box look of other tier 5 cruisers with its well proportioned hull and triple casemated turret.

However, when I researched and installed the Hull B upgrade, I was rather shocked with what they decided to do with the extra AA mounts. They installed it on top of the beautiful looking turret, making the whole ship look quite comical.

Observe:

Before:

Spoiler

7Fow4lK.jpg

After:

Spoiler

ZEmAHE1.jpg

They just welded bunch of sheetmetal to the turret just so they can mount a crappy little peashooter. It looks like it's wearing a dunce hat now, and what was previously a very beautiful tier 5 cruiser is now an embarrassment in my port.

ANMhWUJ.jpg

• Boring 2

[REVY]
Members
8,258 posts
6,118 battles
9 minutes ago, Tokamak_Raven said:

They just welded bunch of sheetmetal to the turret just so they can mount a crappy little peashooter. It looks like it's wearing a dunce hat now, and what was previously a very beautiful tier 5 cruiser is now an embarrassment in my port.

ANMhWUJ.jpg

The French have done much worse.

carnot1.jpg.cbd9bcc8148456572abcae482fb7

sddefault.jpg

• Funny 1

[FML]
Members
4,148 posts
16,060 battles
18 minutes ago, Tokamak_Raven said:

When I first got the French tier 5 cruiser Emile Bertin, I was quite pleased with its sleek, modern look. It was a big upgrade from the floating cardboard box look of other tier 5 cruisers with its well proportioned hull and triple casemated turret.

However, when I researched and installed the Hull B upgrade, I was rather shocked with what they decided to do with the extra AA mounts. They installed it on top of the beautiful looking turret, making the whole ship look quite comical.

Observe:

Before:

Hide contents

7Fow4lK.jpg

After:

Hide contents

ZEmAHE1.jpg

ANMhWUJ.jpg

Actually, additional AA mounts on any spare real estate - and the top of turrets was a popular choice - happened on most navies' ships.  And the dual 40mm bofors was actually an effective AA gun (obviously not as good as a quad mount, but better than pretty much anything else at that time - only thing missing is the separate director mount to improve its accuracy, and that was a mid-late war addition).  

I see what you mean about its negative effects on the elegance of the ship, but as in most things in life there is a tradeoff between form and function, of fashion and functionality.  When you're getting bombed by planes, an elegant look isnt exactly going to stop them from hurting you, and in war navies play for keeps. 

[WHS]
Members
242 posts
3,991 battles
12 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Spoiler

sddefault.jpg

Looks like a potential French premium ship. @wgdevs make it happen please.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,154 posts
6 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I see what you mean about its negative effects on the elegance of the ship, but as in most things in life there is a tradeoff between form and function, of fashion and functionality.

Sometimes you stick as many arms on a thing as it will carry and still stay afloat.

ARA_Alakush.jpg

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,153 posts
12,736 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Sometimes you stick as many arms on a thing as it will carry and still stay afloat.

ARA_Alakush.jpg

Lol! The USS Atlanta amd Cleveland classes puts that mosquito boat to shame!

[SALVO]
Members
6,633 posts
5,231 battles
3 hours ago, Sventex said:

sddefault.jpg

What's there not to like about fighting against an apartment block with guns? :Smile_trollface:

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,154 posts
50 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

Lol! The USS Atlanta amd Cleveland classes puts that mosquito boat to shame!

For its size though, the armament is pretty impressive.

By WWII's end, the PT boat had more "firepower-per-ton" than any other vessel in the U.S. Navy.