You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

Weekly Combat Missions: Thanksgiving Day

22 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,510 posts
14,992 battles

Expect even more valuable rewards for completing combat missions!

Read it on the portal
  • Meh 2

[-DZ-]
Alpha Tester
33 posts
8,855 battles

WoW WG you really shouldn't have !!! Another useless flag and more useless camo !!! Nothing fun and exciting just another boring mission of cap the circle ...... Boring !!!

• Cool 3
  • Meh 4

[O_O]
Members
6,961 posts
16,853 battles
1 hour ago, Airjockey said:

Boring !!!

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 1

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,144 posts
11,207 battles
1 hour ago, Airjockey said:

WoW WG you really shouldn't have !!! Another useless flag and more useless camo !!! Nothing fun and exciting just another boring mission of cap the circle ...... Boring !!!

Speak for yourself. Some of us love Flag customization!

• Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[USMC-]
[USMC-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
30 posts
6,224 battles

WOW WG that camo is the WORST/STINGIEST camo I have ever seen.  Do they even know that the holiday is about sharing the bounty of our harvest with others!  Do they know the word "GIVING" is in the .name of the holiday? 

That camo is like going to Thanksgiving dinner and getting served a turkey hotdog.  The other thing is what does it really cost them to give away a decent camo?   No much really.....   

Gravely disappointed,

-Jag

• Cool 2

[4-FUN]
Members
4 posts
7,432 battles

"Thanksgiving Day

The tradition of Thanksgiving dates back to the first settlers from England who arrived on the shores of America in 1620. Less than half of them survived the first winter in the harsh and unfamiliar conditions of the New World. But thanks to the help of a local native American tribe, they were able to found Plymouth Colony—the oldest English settlement in the United States.

Uhm, no. The first permanent English settlement was Jamestown (1607) in the Virginia colony. The first Thanksgiving was at "Berkeley Hundred" aka Berkeley Plantation about 2 years prior to the one at Plymouth colony..

On December 4, 1619, a group of 38 English settlers arrived at Berkeley Hundred, about 8,000 acres (32 km2) on the north bank of the James River near Herring Creek in an area then known as Charles Cittie (sic). It was named for one of the original founders, Richard Berkeley,[7] a member of the Berkeley family of Gloucestershire, England. It was about 20 miles upstream from Jamestown, where the first permanent settlement of the Colony of Virginia was established on May 14, 1607.

The group's London Company charter required that the day of arrival be observed as a "day of thanksgiving" to God. On that first day, Captain John Woodlief held a service pursuant to the charter which specified, "Wee ordaine that the day of our ships arrival at the place assigned for plantacon in the land of Virginia shall be yearly and perpetually keept holy as a day of thanksgiving to Almighty God."

• Cool 1

[KSF]
Privateers
358 posts
12,786 battles
14 minutes ago, DMac1959 said:

"Thanksgiving Day

The tradition of Thanksgiving dates back to the first settlers from England who arrived on the shores of America in 1620. Less than half of them survived the first winter in the harsh and unfamiliar conditions of the New World. But thanks to the help of a local native American tribe, they were able to found Plymouth Colony—the oldest English settlement in the United States.

Uhm, no. The first permanent English settlement was Jamestown (1607) in the Virginia colony. The first Thanksgiving was at "Berkeley Hundred" aka Berkeley Plantation about 2 years prior to the one at Plymouth colony..

On December 4, 1619, a group of 38 English settlers arrived at Berkeley Hundred, about 8,000 acres (32 km2) on the north bank of the James River near Herring Creek in an area then known as Charles Cittie (sic). It was named for one of the original founders, Richard Berkeley,[7] a member of the Berkeley family of Gloucestershire, England. It was about 20 miles upstream from Jamestown, where the first permanent settlement of the Colony of Virginia was established on May 14, 1607.

The group's London Company charter required that the day of arrival be observed as a "day of thanksgiving" to God. On that first day, Captain John Woodlief held a service pursuant to the charter which specified, "Wee ordaine that the day of our ships arrival at the place assigned for plantacon in the land of Virginia shall be yearly and perpetually keept holy as a day of thanksgiving to Almighty God."

Was just about to get on this as a resident of James City County, Virginia (no, do NOT think about that name). For anyone that goes on the whole "pilgrims/Mayflower/etc were the first settlers" thing keep this in mind: They were orginally destined for Virginia. They missed, by a ways. 

• Cool 1

[4-FUN]
Members
4 posts
7,432 battles
29 minutes ago, TheBigM145 said:

Was just about to get on this as a resident of James City County, Virginia (no, do NOT think about that name). For anyone that goes on the whole "pilgrims/Mayflower/etc were the first settlers" thing keep this in mind: They were originally destined for Virginia. They missed, by a ways. 

Yeah, I live up just outside Richmond. I'm also old enough that I went to school when they still taught history to the kids. I'll give the WoWs folks a partial pass as I think most of them are in/from Europe. 

• Cool 1

[MR-1]
Members
1,712 posts
21,983 battles

another flag , i dont mind the cornicopia camo i like it  but a seashell  as a flag .  how about a perment camo or a turkey shoot achivment 

• Cool 1

[MR-1]
Members
1,712 posts
21,983 battles

apart from this set of missions is black friday  tomorrow ??? as theres usually somthing in the news the day before 

• Cool 1

[FFLY]
Members
84 posts
7 hours ago, DMac1959 said:

Yeah, I live up just outside Richmond. I'm also old enough that I went to school when they still taught history to the kids. I'll give the WoWs folks a partial pass as I think most of them are in/from Europe. 

Most Americans don't know the Pilgrims were not first english settlement nor did they host a celebratory feast with the local indian tribe.  

[PVE]
Members
7,643 posts
23,655 battles
21 hours ago, TheBigM145 said:

Was just about to get on this as a resident of James City County, Virginia (no, do NOT think about that name). For anyone that goes on the whole "pilgrims/Mayflower/etc were the first settlers" thing keep this in mind: They were orginally destined for Virginia. They missed, by a ways. 

21 hours ago, DMac1959 said:

"Thanksgiving Day

Somebody a couple of days ago stated that Roanoke W. Virginia was founded in (they calculated 43 years before Plymouth...so that would make it...) 1577.

Any idea if there's any truth to that...or if not what year Roanoke actually was founded?

[ABCD3]
Members
512 posts
14,221 battles

Have WG/WOT make an event for U.S. State Flags.  

[4-FUN]
Members
4 posts
7,432 battles
On 11/27/2020 at 3:02 PM, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Somebody a couple of days ago stated that Roanoke W. Virginia was founded in (they calculated 43 years before Plymouth...so that would make it...) 1577.

Any idea if there's any truth to that...or if not what year Roanoke actually was founded?

Sorry, just saw this.

I'm not familiar with a Roanoke W.Va.  I am familiar with Roanoke, Va.  My family is from up that way.  Roanoke, Va. was originally called Big Lick (natural salt licks drew wildlife) and was founded about 1852 but its history goes back to the 1740s and Roanoke was chartered as a city in 1884.

Taking a bit of a leap, your 'somebody' may have been referring to Roanoke Island, NC site of the first English colony in the new world where a fort was established in 1584. It was abandoned due to weather, lack of supplies, and hostile natives. In 1587, another attempt was made to settle on the island. This one included women and children. Virginia Dare, the first English child born in the new world was born that same year. Virginia Dare's grandfather sailed thereafter for England to get badly needed supplies. By the time he got back...3 years later...everyone had disappeared including his daughter and granddaughter.

Big mystery and much speculation and study  has taken place since. Lots of info on the internet.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
7,643 posts
23,655 battles
5 hours ago, DMac1959 said:

Sorry, just saw this.

I'm not familiar with a Roanoke W.Va.  I am familiar with Roanoke, Va.  My family is from up that way.  Roanoke, Va. was originally called Big Lick (natural salt licks drew wildlife) and was founded about 1852 but its history goes back to the 1740s and Roanoke was chartered as a city in 1884.

Taking a bit of a leap, your 'somebody' may have been referring to Roanoke Island, NC site of the first English colony in the new world where a fort was established in 1584. It was abandoned due to weather, lack of supplies, and hostile natives. In 1587, another attempt was made to settle on the island. This one included women and children. Virginia Dare, the first English child born in the new world was born that same year. Virginia Dare's grandfather sailed thereafter for England to get badly needed supplies. By the time he got back...3 years later...everyone had disappeared including his daughter and granddaughter.

Big mystery and much speculation and study  has taken place since. Lots of info on the internet.

Huh... I've heard the name Virginia Dare referenced before but had no idea who she was.

Odd... she's from Roanoke (Island anyway)...& named Virginia...but wasn't from the Virginia Roanoke.

[4-FUN]
Members
4 posts
7,432 battles
3 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Huh... I've heard the name Virginia Dare referenced before but had no idea who she was.

Odd... she's from Roanoke (Island anyway)...& named Virginia...but wasn't from the Virginia Roanoke.

At the time, that area (where Roanoke Island is) was considered Virginia.

Edited by DMac1959

[PVE]
Members
7,643 posts
23,655 battles
15 minutes ago, DMac1959 said:

At the time, that area (where Roanoke Island is) was considered Virginia.

Ah...that explains it.