Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sovereigndawg

Which One Would You Choose?

18 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
38,077 battles

Ohio, if you do competitive. It can substitute for Montana in clan battles. 

[SIM]
Members
5,750 posts
9,263 battles

She lists them all as being “Gudbotes” (or cheese omelettes) in her review summary, so don’t be surprised if she tells you to pick your preferred class and go with it. 

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,306 posts

Its either the slava or the ohio. I probably will end up with the ohio since Clan Battles demand a bit of competition.

I don't own any RP and do not intend to regrind 5 years worth of trees all over again espeically with some ships that don't do well in battle even in Coop. So it will be a few years before I get the Ohio. Maybe 6 or 7 dockyards later which is running about 3 per year.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,459 posts
10,541 battles

In no particular order:

Pick SLAVA if you like across-the-map sniping. 
Slava is like Thunderer on drugs -- a distillation of the long-range sniper Wargaming has been flirting with since Giulio Cesare's various failed test-iterations from way back in 2017.  Analogous to both Florida and Champagne but with Soviet flavour-crystals, this ship has such powerful guns that you can blow out the citadel of a Montana at 22km without contest.  If they give you a broadside, you can obliterate them.  This myopic style of game play isn't for me, but I recognize its potential and potency.  While you need to be wary of return fire, you're always going to hit harder from a distance, so keep them at arm's reach.

Pick OHIO if you want a tier X Massachusetts.
Ohio doesn't replicate Massachusetts dominance at tier VIII but she's damn good.  Her biggest asset (pun intended) are those eight 456mm guns and their overmatch potential, able to bust through the glut of 30mm armour plates which defines the high-tier meta.  Though she's saddled with typical American battleship dispersion, she backs up her main battery with everyone's favourite secondaries.  These fire faster, over longer range and with increased accuracy than most other American 127mm/38s, making her stupidly dangerous to approach.

Pick COLBERT if you want all of the HE spam.
With all of the noise that Smolensk generated upon release, Colbert's own infuriating performance was glossed over.  Able to spit out over 300 rounds per minute and generate a staggering 32 fires per minute, anything caught within range gets showered with a nightmare bath of high explosive Hell. With her floaty ballistics and modest range, her game play focuses around hugging islands and waiting for some poor fool to wander within her arcs.  She is squishy as all get out, her vulnerability and the frustrations of her game play akin to those of Atlanta but without any of the utility brought by the American ship.  Colbert is made for farming fires and salt.

Pick PAOLO EMILIO if you like pretending to be a shark.
This ship is designed to suicide-torp, rushing exposed big, fat, stupid battleships and dumping her powerful fish at point blank into their exposed sides.  Her Exhaust Smoke Generator facilitates these rushes, but it does not make them idiot proof.   Charging headlong at a wary target will see the rush fail.  Get spotted on your push in and your rush will fail.  Bump into a gunship destroyer or get tripped over by Surveillance Radar and your rush will fail.  This makes her game play surprisingly nuanced, forcing her to fall back onto a gunship role to which she is poorly suited while she waits for her opening.  At times frustrating and at times amazingly satisfying, Paolo Emilio is surprisingly complex.

(For those wondering, I picked up Colbert on my personal account.  I will be picking up Slava next if nothing else of interest comes out from the Research Bureau).

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 5

Members
1,406 posts
20,422 battles

Ohio is the best choice with submarines on the horizon. 

[ARGSY]
Members
23,038 posts
17,042 battles
2 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

This myopic style of game play

I trust that you mean philosophically myopic, in the sense of being unimaginative and repetitive, because true myopics can't see anything at a distance.

Someone whose short-distance vision is crippled but can still see well far away is hyperopic.

@Sovereigndawg, read what Mouse has written and then choose the right tool for the job you need it to do and the captain(s) you already have to put in it (unless you have so much ECXP that you can build a 19 pointer to suit without having to sweat about it).

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[INTEL]
Members
7,742 posts
36,738 battles

I would suggest Ohio first, Slava as a second choice.

I only own Colbert of these, as it is fun af but tough to survive.

Paolo Emilio is very tough to use properly and as a DD main I should go for her next, but Ohio interests me more, if I ever decide to regrind another line (tired of that).

Edited by alexf24

[INTEL]
Members
3,415 posts
18,909 battles
9 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Ohio, if you do competitive. It can substitute for Montana in clan battles. 

I’m going to suggest Colbert if you spend a lot of time in Co-op.  That thing is silly fun. 

[PSA]
Members
5,116 posts
3,732 battles

Ohio for sure. Of the lot of them, she's the one that's least dependent on a specific playstyle.

Paulo Emilio looks really fun, but I'm leery about getting any new ship with no tech tree for her captain to play on. And given Italian BBs are on the horizon, I expect *at least* a year and a half before Italian DDs become a thing.

Slava is only good against potatoes who sail broadside. The moment anyone decides to angle, she's useless as she only has 16 inch guns that get bounced by cruiser mid sections. My first impression of her was when I was playing Hindy. Angled against her and spent several minutes taking hits from her for little or no damage. And for all that, Slava gets really bad armor. I put her in the 'meh' catagory.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,762 posts
4,273 battles
3 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Kitakami when?

SoonTM :Smile_teethhappy:

[PVE]
Members
10,888 posts
18,786 battles
11 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

giphy.gif

Yep, I would say Ohio is the right choice. First Battle.

image.thumb.png.9c421a31eab32a87f4091ddd53923d68.png

Beta Testers
166 posts
18,778 battles
13 hours ago, ClassicLib said:

I’m going to suggest Colbert if you spend a lot of time in Co-op.  That thing is silly fun. 

thats the thing. since the armor nerf its only fun for co op. for randoms  you might as well bring a smolenks. colbert has practically the same armor. but smolenks has smoke and torps.

[INTEL]
Members
3,415 posts
18,909 battles
8 hours ago, Jamesalot_ET said:

thats the thing. since the armor nerf its only fun for co op. for randoms  you might as well bring a smolenks. colbert has practically the same armor. but smolenks has smoke and torps.

I know @Sovereigndawg plays a fair number of Co-op battles so I was suggesting it would suit him in Co-op.

[-TKS-]
Members
272 posts
9,411 battles
On 11/26/2020 at 2:55 AM, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Pick PAOLO EMILIO if you like pretending to be a shark.
This ship is designed to suicide-torp, rushing exposed big, fat, stupid battleships and dumping her powerful fish at point blank into their exposed sides.  Her Exhaust Smoke Generator facilitates these rushes, but it does not make them idiot proof.   Charging headlong at a wary target will see the rush fail.  Get spotted on your push in and your rush will fail.  Bump into a gunship destroyer or get tripped over by Surveillance Radar and your rush will fail.  This makes her game play surprisingly nuanced, forcing her to fall back onto a gunship role to which she is poorly suited while she waits for her opening.  At times frustrating and at times amazingly satisfying, Paolo Emilio is surprisingly complex.

*hums Jaws theme* lawls!!

Sign in to follow this