You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BLUENOSE_SUBGRU2_SUBRON2

Don't blame WG for WoWs gameplay issues

10 comments in this topic

Members
30 posts
3,308 battles

I've seen a lot of comments on Steam and other places blaming WG for a lot of issues with WoW and how it has taken a turn for the worse, but most of the problems I see are due to players, not ships, gimmicks, or other game issues. You can have the most realistic battle spaces, ships, planes, math, engineering, physics, and rendering but if the game isn't played realistically by the players, it simply won't be realistic or true to naval warfare. 

The kind of players I am talking about are those who:

1. Have no idea (or don't care) what the intended role of their ship type is. 

2. Lack any boldness and initiative - it's all about following the lemming train to one flank or another with everyone hanging back and playing like scared sheep, as if they really die themselves if their ship get damaged or blown up. when one flank is being overpowered, there is no attempt to support from the strong flank... they are just circling around aimlessly like it's a Sunday stroll in park, and passively watching while their teamates on the other flank are outnumbered and/or overpowered and being decimated. As long as they stay in their "safe place..."

3. Only strategy seems to be to just hide behind a rock or in a cloud of smoke to just opportunistically chunk as much damage as they can by just exploiting whatever overpowered gimmick their ship might have.

4. No teamwork - ship types don't cover each other's weaknesses or fight in some semblace of a mutual supporting formation. Why the hell should a battleship 10km off the battle line steaming to support a weaker flank be stealth torpedoed by an enemy destroyer (or cruiser) when a friendly destroyer (or cruiser) is just sitting in his smoke cloud 2km from the enemy torpedo crapper but not engaging it? Why? because he is far more interested in sitting put quietly until a nice fat and slow enemy BB comes stumbling along so it can chunk damage off it....never occurs to them that maybe they should at least make an attempt to screen and protect their own team's BBs from destroyer and cruiser torpedo attacks. Nope, can't risk their shiny camo paint job to risk scuffing it to help a teammate. I've seen Coop PvE 'bot teams with better teamwork than I see in PvP Random Battles with breathing players.

Maybe being a Navy Vet, I expect too much from gamer kids, but It is really a shame because the concept and intention of WoW is great from a naval warfare and history buff standpoint, but players like me who would like a more realistic gameplay are just thrown under the bus by opportunistic and selfish players who just see their ship as a team of its own and don't give a rat's fantail about any semblace of teamwork and/or tactics.

I'm sure I'm not the only player who was real enthusiastic about this game and has been disappointed, but unless there is a way to improve gameplay through some kind of more effective in-game "reward or penalty" system to encourage more realistic gameplay, I think a lot of players will play a whole lot less or stop playing altogether. The novelty of earning new ships to play can only go so far if there is no interesting or challenging gameplay environment to fight them in.

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

Members
7 posts
10,845 battles
9 minutes ago, USN_Submariner_TM said:

I've seen a lot of comments on Steam and other places blaming WG for a lot of issues with WoW and how it has taken a turn for the worse, but most of the problems I see are due to players, not ships, gimmicks, or other game issues. You can have the most realistic battle spaces, ships, planes, math, engineering, physics, and rendering but if the game isn't played realistically by the players, it simply won't be realistic or true to naval warfare. 

2. Lack any boldness and initiative - it's all about following the lemming train to one flank or another with everyone hanging back and playing like scared sheep, as if they really die themselves if their ship get damaged or blown up. when one flank is being overpowered, there is no attempt to support from the strong flank... they are just circling around aimlessly like it's a Sunday stroll in park, and passively watching while their teamates on the other flank are outnumbered and/or overpowered and being decimated. As long as they stay in their "safe place..."

3. Only strategy seems to be to just hide behind a rock or in a cloud of smoke to just opportunistically chunk as much damage as they can by just exploiting whatever overpowered gimmick their ship might have.

4. No teamwork - ship types don't cover each other's weaknesses or fight in some semblace of a mutual supporting formation. Why the hell should a battleship 10km off the battle line steaming to support a weaker flank be stealth torpedoed by an enemy destroyer (or cruiser) when a friendly destroyer (or cruiser) is just sitting in his smoke cloud 2km from the enemy torpedo crapper but not engaging it? Why? because he is far more interested in sitting put quietly until a nice fat and slow enemy BB comes stumbling along so it can chunk damage off it....never occurs to them that maybe they should at least make an attempt to screen and protect their own team's BBs from destroyer and cruiser torpedo attacks. Nope, can't risk their shiny camo paint job to risk scuffing it to help a teammate. I've seen Coop PvE 'bot teams with better teamwork than I see in PvP Random Battles with breathing players.

Maybe being a Navy Vet, I expect too much from gamer kids, but It is really a shame because the concept and intention of WoW is great from a naval warfare and history buff standpoint, but players like me who would like a more realistic gameplay are just thrown under the bus by opportunistic and selfish players who just see their ship as a team of its own and don't give a rat's fantail about any semblace of teamwork and/or tactics.

I'm sure I'm not the only player who was real enthusiastic about this game and has been disappointed, but unless there is a way to improve gameplay through some kind of more effective in-game "reward or penalty" system to encourage more realistic gameplay, I think a lot of players will play a whole lot less or stop playing altogether. The novelty of earning new ships to play can only go so far if there is no interesting or challenging gameplay environment to fight them in.

Yes the  younger  generation don't  know  strategy and  the  words  war gaming  and  teams  play.  Bots are programs  by  gamers. Getting  shot at and  destroy  takes  time to get  used  too. 

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,140 posts
11,173 battles
53 minutes ago, USN_Submariner_TM said:

5. The players who blame everyone else when they don't understand the game and how to play it, causing them to contribute to the failure.

[KWF]
Members
5,544 posts
6,848 battles

After seeing for my first 2-3k battles some of the worst gameplay imaginable I decided to not give a d*mn about teammates anymore, unless in division or Ranked. If people don't care about learning or cooperating there comes a point where your efforts become counterproductive. 

Just treat each game as 1vs23 and give your personal best.

• Cool 1

Banned
1,424 posts
6,083 battles

Yes, WG is to blame.

- As some YTbers have pointed out, you can pretty much rush to high tiers without learning anything first.

- Even if the player doesn't want to skip the grind, some tiers are such a painful experience that most people will skip them. Hell, if I wasn't saving free XP right now, I would skip everything from tiers II to VI.

- Each ship could have hints on how it is to be played. With hundreds of ships in the game, it is hard for a non-veteran to figure out exactly what the ship's intended role is. It is even harder to know what is the enemy's capabilities.

- MM is entirely on WG's fault.

- Awful mechanics or game modes entirely on WG.

- CV

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,435 posts
22,580 battles
2 hours ago, USN_Submariner_TM said:

How ironic your second to last paragraph talks about teamwork and yet you are in a clan that screams solo play as its motto....

[WORX]
Members
12,420 posts
19,697 battles
18 hours ago, USN_Submariner_TM said:

The kind of players I am talking about are those who: Were cultivated by WG's "experimental" power creep policies, were molded by these policies since patch 0.7 series

1. Have no idea (or don't care) what the intended role of their ship type is. => "power creep for profit" Business model, eliminated/blur the lines of the intentions/purpose of their ship type... Basically, now everyone with big guns can influence an outcome.. The medium, small caliber and torp ships... Forget it

2. Lack any boldness and initiative - => Again Power creep and ordnance favoritism towards big guns, killed this one. (not to mention other factors like maps being partial to one side then the other.. High tiers, no longer have impartial maps)

3. Only strategy seems to be to just hide behind a rock or in a cloud of smoke to just opportunistically chunk as much damage as they can by just exploiting whatever overpowered gimmick their ship might have.==> Again

• Power creep
    • AND
  • Ordnance favoritism

I would also add, the change in fire mechanics, flood mechanics, AP ballistic changes and any other changes that created the Apex ship class we have today.

4. No teamwork - Why would anyone want to be a team of one ship class one ship, is not dependent on the tools or the use of those tools from other players, in order to win.

I would disagree on blaming the community/player base, for the decline of the game...

WG sets the tone

WG sets the policies

WG sets everything related to player in game experience...

All you have done, was to point out the areas they've failed because the players have adapted to what they've put out...

Edited by Navalpride33

Members
30 posts
3,308 battles
16 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

How ironic your second to last paragraph talks about teamwork and yet you are in a clan that screams solo play as its motto....

Nice try to nullify my views through an attempt at character assasination...

But I am not a professional gamer and can't be held to fixed playing schedules and Discord meetings, etc., so I chose to join a WOLF Clan like others who can't be tied down to gaming outside of actual playing time.

In any case, whoever gets ad-hoc thrown together on a team -  whatever clan (or no clan) - should have a clue about how to best use their ship to contribute to the overall match win for the team as a whole.

If I see that the best contribution I can make at a given time in a battle is to commit to a risky move, or sacrifice my own ship, I do it.  I have engaged in obviously futile attacks against, and duels with, superior ships simply in hope I can inflict some damage so my teammates can more easily finish them off, and I have kamikaze rammed others to take out a particularly troublesome uptiered and strong enemies to assist the rest of the team to rally for a win, or at least have a chance to win. I would do this for any of the random teammates I have been thrown together with, not just division or clan-mates. I have assisted teammates when I knew doing so would end up with me being blown up... why? because they asked for my help - simple enough. That is what teamwork is... considering what will help or benefit the team, and not just yourself.

Maybe you simply can't comprehend what it is to work as a team with no other ties or relationships other than simply being on the same side in a fight against a mutual opponent. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,435 posts
22,580 battles
2 hours ago, USN_Submariner_TM said:

But I am not a professional gamer and can't be held to fixed playing schedules and Discord meetings, etc., so I chose to join a WOLF Clan like others who can't be tied down to gaming outside of actual playing time.

In any case, whoever gets ad-hoc thrown together on a team -  whatever clan (or no clan) - should have a clue about how to best use their ship to contribute to the overall match win for the team as a whole.

If I see that the best contribution I can make at a given time in a battle is to commit to a risky move, or sacrifice my own ship, I do it.  I have engaged in obviously futile attacks against, and duels with, superior ships simply in hope I can inflict some damage so my teammates can more easily finish them off, and I have kamikaze rammed others to take out a particularly troublesome uptiered and strong enemies to assist the rest of the team to rally for a win, or at least have a chance to win. I would do this for any of the random teammates I have been thrown together with, not just division or clan-mates. I have assisted teammates when I knew doing so would end up with me being blown up... why? because they asked for my help - simple enough. That is what teamwork is... considering what will help or benefit the team, and not just yourself.

Maybe you simply can't comprehend what it is to work as a team with no other ties or relationships other than simply being on the same side in a fight against a mutual opponent. 

Your first 3 paragraphs were nicely worded and showed YOUR feelings on game play/balance.

The irony is your in a clan for players who don't want to be bothered with divisions and social play, just be a lone wolf, and enjoy the benifit of being in a clan....

So to see you wax on about TEAM PLAY , yet belong to a clan that doesn't require team play within its clanmates???

Thats ironic....

I personally have been playing since closed beta. Still learning how to best be a team player in randoms.

Clan battles are much more enjoyable due to the WHOLE team working together....

Yes I'm that dd spotting for you, while you insist the 100k bb is more important than the dd killing me....

The goal isn't to kill the other guy, but control the map and cap points, while forcing the red team to die in a useless attempt to wrestle back map control and cap points....

Members
13 posts
4,404 battles
On 11/26/2020 at 3:00 PM, USN_Submariner_TM said:

I've been playing for to long. I started as a founder. So I'll ask you as Navy Veteran what are the odds of a squadron of aircraft flying through the combined fire of 4 ships getting through unscathed? Not once but 3 times. What are the odds of a CV winning in a gun battle with a BB at less than 2K, and having 40% of it'sa health? The BB didn't miss with primary, or secondary batteries. I've witnessed both many times. Has the changes WoWs made to gameplay had any influence on the way players play? Cause and effect.