SeaGladius

Just one of those games

8 comments in this topic

[GOCRY]
Members
670 posts

It seems that people love to create posts about battles where they are the #1 player on their team, get huge amounts of damage and XP, but still lose the game because of all their potato teammates.  If you read the forum, it would seem like there’s a never ending stream of these, where MM just decided that you’re going to get screwed, no matter how good you are.  This is not one of those...

I played my 4th game in my Benson this morning (all losses up to this point).  Started off the game by narrowly escaping detection by the enemy CV.  I then found a red Amagi and Atlanta.  Threw some torps at them, which were going to miss until the Atlanta turned broadside in front of them and ate two.  Threw another rack toward the Atlanta, that he just barely managed to not dodge.  At this point, I noticed that my team had already killed 5 red ships.

I move up on the Amagi, who was being joined by a New Mexico.  They’re crossing in front of me, and I remember Flamu mentioning “dual-purpose” torps, so I drop two more racks in their paths.  The New Mexico blunders into 4 torps, dying immediately, and the Amagi eats 3, dying soon after.

I ended up second on the team on XP, missing the top spot by just 30 XP points, through frankly, an amazing string of luck more than skill.  And I’m man enough to admit it.  This side of the random MM happens too.  People just don’t talk about it.  Anyway, I hope this story made you laugh a little - we need to do more of that around here - and Happy (early) Thanksgiving!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,702 posts
14,866 battles

People tend to notice negative things while not even seeing any of the positive things, the constant stream of blow out complaints for example. That the devs have not done anything to address that says to me that the overall rate of blow outs is not very high. I do wish that they would provide some numbers to show that they are not as common as people think though.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,072 posts
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

People tend to notice negative things while not even seeing any of the positive things

I think that this is one of the reasons that drill sergeants used to yell at the recruits. Apparently now they can't do this anymore because it makes the girls cry (this from a cousin of mine who was a drill sergeant). I actually saw a mother once try to explain in soothing tones why her baby should not touch a hot stove. A slap on the hand and a loud "no!" would have gotten the message across just fine.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
7,561 posts
23,552 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

I think that this is one of the reasons that drill sergeants used to yell at the recruits. Apparently now they can't do this anymore because it makes the girls cry (this from a cousin of mine who was a drill sergeant). I actually saw a mother once try to explain in soothing tones why her baby should not touch a hot stove. A slap on the hand and a loud "no!" would have gotten the message across just fine.

No Patton...you can't do that...

Patton: But...they did it to me???

[GOCRY]
Members
670 posts
2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

People tend to notice negative things while not even seeing any of the positive things, the constant stream of blow out complaints for example. That the devs have not done anything to address that says to me that the overall rate of blow outs is not very high. I do wish that they would provide some numbers to show that they are not as common as people think though.

How do you define a blowout?  My game this morning was absolutely a blowout - we only lost 1 ship.  But a lot more games start with the loss of 2-3 ships, which puts that team at a disadvantage the whole match and results in a loss even though the remaining ships put up a good fight.  This feels like a blowout because the outcome becomes obvious so early, but it doesn’t really qualify as a blowout.  So where does the line get drawn?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,702 posts
14,866 battles
7 minutes ago, SeaGladius said:

How do you define a blowout?  My game this morning was absolutely a blowout - we only lost 1 ship.  But a lot more games start with the loss of 2-3 ships, which puts that team at a disadvantage the whole match and results in a loss even though the remaining ships put up a good fight.  This feels like a blowout because the outcome becomes obvious so early, but it doesn’t really qualify as a blowout.  So where does the line get drawn?

All or most of a team dead in 10 minutes or less in a loss or less than five minutes in a loss mainly.

[TLOFT]
Members
39 posts
7,223 battles
11 minutes ago, SeaGladius said:

I have had my fair share of butt kicking's in this game and for me the term "blow out" is when you are in a match and the game is over within 6-8 minutes and everyone on your team has been eliminated while only 1 may 2 ships on the red side have been sunk. 
While this wasn't very common, I am starting to notice this being more common now, in the past 4 days I have been in matches where this has occurred 3 times. Not a whole lot you can do about its especially if you have a potato div for instance or end up with a lemming train to only 1 cap.  I just have started to notice it for me seems to happen more often than it used to, especially at tier 6-8 it seems.

[GOCRY]
Members
670 posts

See, I can only think of 2 games that I have had in the last several weeks that qualify.  This morning, and a game a couple weekends ago where I was on the losing side.  But I’ve had lots of inevitable losses.