You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
WhenThereWereGiants71

12-7-1941

10 comments in this topic

Members
1,870 posts
27,451 battles

If that's so, then surely 11-12-1940 was the day they got the grim diagnosis. ;)

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,051 posts
28,782 battles
30 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

If that's so, then surely 11-12-1940 was the day they got the grim diagnosis. ;)

Indeed.  The Battle of Taranto, where a mere 21 RN biplanes armed with torpedoes rendered 3 Italian BBs combat ineffective for many months, at least one of them for the remainder of the war.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,718 posts
14,867 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

Indeed.  The Battle of Taranto, where a mere 21 RN biplanes armed with torpedoes rendered 3 Italian BBs combat ineffective for many months, at least one of them for the remainder of the war.

That battle let the Japanese know that using torpedoes in shallow harbors was possible. However, it didn't mean the end of the BB as the main method of force projection by itself, it took Pearl Harbor to force the US to rely on their CV's to cause the shift away from the BB.

Beta Testers
3,287 posts
26,944 battles
3 hours ago, SALTWATERANDCORDITE71 said:

The Day that Battleships Died!

I've always put the flag out on Dec 7th but I think half the country's all but forgot about Day of Infamy................

[RLGN]
Members
15,491 posts
27,200 battles
28 minutes ago, Tachnechdorus said:

I've always put the flag out on Dec 7th but I think half the country's all but forgot about Day of Infamy................

To much politics even trying to answer that; and I don’t wanna get banned.

Suffice to say I agree.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
29,581 posts
25,666 battles

For the USN, Pearl Harbor didn't mean the end of Battleships and the ascendancy of the Carrier.  Matter of fact, the USN was already going towards a heavy shift to Carriers before Pearl Harbor.  The Essex-class began construction before Pearl Harbor.  Some dates for Essex-class:

Ordered February 1940

Essex - Keel Laid April 1941, in service December 1942.

Ordered May 1940

Bon Homme Richard (later renamed Yorktown) - Keel Laid December 1941, in service April 1943

Intrepid - Keel Laid December 1941, in service August 1943

8 more ordered September 1940

Kearsarge (later renamed Hornet) - Keel Laid Aug 1942, entered service November 1943

Franklin - Keel Laid December 1942, entered service October 1943

Cabot (later renamed Lexington) - Keel Laid July 1941, in service February 1943

Bunker Hill - Keel Laid September 1941, in service May 1943.

Oriskany (later renamed Wasp) - Keel Laid March 1942, in service November 1943.

Etc.

Bennington was ordered December 15, 1941.  Laid down in December 1942, in service February 1944.

Etc.  More followed.

This is a lot of capital ships from a single class.  8 Essex-class were ordered BEFORE Pearl Harbor.  These already ordered Carriers would outnumber the entire Kido Butai that attacked Pearl Harbor, nevermind adding older Yorktown-class to the equation.  Note that these Essex-class were going to be completed in less than 2 years, some less than 1 year. 

Next are some USN BB construction times for their newer Fast Battleships, from Keel Laid to Commission:

North Carolina 42 months

Washington 34 months

South Dakota 31 months

Indiana 31 months

Massachusetts 32 months

Alabama 30 months

Iowa 32 months

New Jersey 32 months

Etc.

You get the picture.

What the USN was getting was a faster to build Capital Ship that could project its power at a greater distance than the Battleship.  And when the Pacific War was fully raging, Battleships were being canceled, even Montana-class.  The Essex-class would gain even more priority than it already has had.  If the Essex-class Tidal Wave wasn't enough, the USN already began work on designs for Midway-class with important lessons learned from the Royal Navy's combat experience with their own Armored Carriers from early 1941.

All that was happening before the Japanese struck Pearl Harbor in December 1941.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[REVY]
Members
8,258 posts
6,118 battles
On 11/25/2020 at 9:28 AM, SALTWATERANDCORDITE71 said:

The Day that Battleships Died!

If that's true, they wouldn't have bothered fixing those Battleships and sending them back in the fight.

[JAMFO]
Members
37 posts
4,549 battles

AS my Dad told me back in 1941, on Dec 7th at a place called, Pearl Harbor.  He looked at the sky and never felt the same again.  He was  ABS stationed on the USS West Virginia. That what I meant by my statement.