You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
zeke3

The WOW New player experience

67 comments in this topic

[-NOM-]
Members
107 posts
13,061 battles

Our Grandson (12) has been visiting lately, I tried getting him started in Warships as he's shown interest watching me play and wanted to try it.   He's now up to 180 whole games at tier 3, mostly DD.  He's now being thrown in with double CV's, Divisions, guys with 10-12K battles.  He gets slaughtered suddenly pretty fast, especially vs dual Hoshos.    He doesn't want to play now, not fun.    I tried Wargaming, your low tier matchmaking is awful.

• Cool 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 4

Members
1,879 posts
27,500 battles
8 minutes ago, zeke3 said:

He gets slaughtered suddenly pretty fast, especially vs dual Hoshos.    He doesn't want to play now, not fun.

I'm sure a majority of the player base would want you to tell him to "get gud" and "just dodge." WG knows what it's doing with the MM, or it wouldn't assemble such match, because WG knows what it's doing....

• Boring 2

[NONE]
Members
3,765 posts
11 minutes ago, zeke3 said:

Our Grandson (12) has been visiting lately, I tried getting him started in Warships as he's shown interest watching me play and wanted to try it.   He's now up to 180 whole games at tier 3, mostly DD.  He's now being thrown in with double CV's, Divisions, guys with 10-12K battles.  He gets slaughtered suddenly pretty fast, especially vs dual Hoshos.    He doesn't want to play now, not fun.    I tried Wargaming, your low tier matchmaking is awful.

With nearly 12K matches, surely you could have warned the poor kid how soul-killing craptastic anything but CV is at low tiers.

Let him take a Sampson or St. Louis into Co-op and just blow stuff up.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 2
  • Thanks 1

[TRU]
Members
728 posts
21,056 battles
6 minutes ago, Balon_Greyjoy said:

With nearly 12K matches, surely you could have warned the poor kid how soul-killing craptastic anything but CV is at low tiers.

Let him take a Sampson or St. Louis into Co-op and just blow stuff up.

Well said.  

• Thanks 1

[PAK]
Members
123 posts
34,161 battles

Grandpa...

First mistake... get him his own account...

Play with him...if you dont have another computer then ONLY let him do coop. This game a 12 year is going to get slaughtered. Most games do not have a learning curve anywhere near this. YOU should know that cuz you love the game cuz its challenging. Its no FPS where who cares if you die.. Doesnt have 3 lives, etc.

YOU set him up for failure....not WG. Take some responsibilty.

• Cool 8
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 8

[TLOFT]
Members
39 posts
7,262 battles
25 minutes ago, zeke3 said:

I had a similar issue with my kids as well (age 9-10) where they would go into a match and it was constant "seal clubbers" in CV's or DD's where they stood no chance so instead I decided to just have them play Co-op only and let them enjoy blowing up bots rather than let a "seal clubber" have an easy kill to boost up their stats.

Edited by Gummby_
  • Cool 1

[PAK]
Members
123 posts
34,161 battles
1 minute ago, Gummby_ said:

I had a similar issue with my kids as well (age 9-10) where they would go into a match and it was constant "seal clubbers" in CV's or DD's where they stood no chance so instead I decided to just have them play Co-op only and let them enjoy blowing up bots rather than let a "seal clubber" have an easy kill to boost up their stats.

AMEN 

Who lets 12 year olds get put in w Randoms. I have only seriously played half dozen games over 30 years. Last 3.5 years this is my game. 28k battles..why? So hard to master and so fun trying. Its not a game for 12 year olds unless they only do coop.

[TLOFT]
Members
39 posts
7,262 battles
4 minutes ago, Diison said:

AMEN 

Who lets 12 year olds get put in w Randoms. I have only seriously played half dozen games over 30 years. Last 3.5 years this is my game. 28k battles..why? So hard to master and so fun trying. Its not a game for 12 year olds unless they only do coop.

100% and that isn't to mention the trash that goes on in chat these days. And I find it easier to just have them CO-OP it as they could careless about going up a certain line of ships they just want to shoot at ships with no grind in mind

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
8,267 posts
6,118 battles
38 minutes ago, zeke3 said:

Funny thing is, WGing is supposed to be valuing new players over the veteran players.

• Cool 1

[PAK]
Members
123 posts
34,161 battles
1 minute ago, Sventex said:

Funny thing is, WGing is supposed to be valuing new players over the veteran players.

ONLY person that knows those stats is WG. With the number of knuckle heads I play with and against I think they are getting new people in.

Youtubers/Twitch guys have been saying the game is dying. The server numbers sure are not agreeing.

[X-PN]
Members
1,517 posts
11,992 battles
18 minutes ago, Diison said:

Grandpa...

Play with him...if you dont have another computer then ONLY let him do coop. This game a 12 year is going to get slaughtered. Most games do not have a learning curve anywhere near this. YOU should know that cuz you love the game cuz its challenging. Its no FPS where who cares if you die.. Doesnt have 3 lives, etc.

There may be some truth in what you say, but should new players really need an advocate to shepherd them through the new player experience and shield them from the worst elements of the game?

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,589 battles
23 minutes ago, Diison said:

No, I'm pretty sure WG set the rules on this one, but thank you for sharing.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,608 posts

I'm just here to wait for the CV apologists to come and tell you how its their fault for not liking the game and the experience is fine, in the face of mounting evidence, anecdotals, and the hilarious fact that the population is dying out in this section of the game to the point where WG has placed bots.

I know this forum community will not disappoint, my popcorn is ready.

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Boring 5

[PAK]
Members
123 posts
34,161 battles
7 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

There may be some truth in what you say, but should new players really need an advocate to shepherd them through the new player experience and shield them from the worst elements of the game?

Whats a new player mean to you? 12 year old...this game is meant for a 12 year old unless its coop. If he is smart and gets bored he should try Randoms. He gets 400% more exp but the game is much harder. They have their 12 year old games. This game is for older teens and mostly adults who like strategy over agility based fast pace games. Clearly options for everyone. Easy mode and hard mode. Hard mode can make you better really quickly. That is up the player himself.

[PAK]
Members
123 posts
34,161 battles
6 minutes ago, Umikami said:

No, I'm pretty sure WG set the rules on this one, but thank you for sharing.

They did set the rules. TWO options. Grandpa having him play HARD mode was on him not WG.

• Cool 1

[PAK]
Members
123 posts
34,161 battles
3 minutes ago, CaliburxZero said:

I'm just here to wait for the CV apologists to come and tell you how its their fault for not liking the game and the experience is fine, in the face of mounting evidence, anecdotals, and the hilarious fact that the population is dying out in this section of the game to the point where WG has placed bots.

I know this forum community will not disappoint, my popcorn is ready.

I agree CV are broken thank heaven there are enough bad ones and they arent in every game so its still fun. Two completely different games. Games with and without CVs. Last night I had a game our T10 cv averaged 39k theirs 140k in the same CV. We had no chance. If they want to make things better put two CVs of the same ability into the same game. That alone would make me feel better.

There are ways to play vs CV to help you live and have fun. People are just stubborn.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 3

[-NOM-]
Members
107 posts
13,061 battles
29 minutes ago, Diison said:

Grandpa...

Actually I've been coaching him but letting him play.   There seems to be a threshold now around 175 games.   Below that he only sees bots and one or two humans of similar experience.   That was fine.     He's now transitioned beyond that number of games, and it's full on Random Battles Clubbing.    Kind of like day 2 of Driver's Ed and they throw you onto a big city freeway at rush hour.  

[PAK]
Members
123 posts
34,161 battles
1 minute ago, zeke3 said:

Actually I've been coaching him but letting him play.   There seems to be a threshold now around 175 games.   Below that he only sees bots and one or two humans of similar experience.   That was fine.     He's now transitioned beyond that number of games, and it's full on Random Battles Clubbing.    Kind of like day 2 of Driver's Ed and they throw you onto a big city freeway at rush hour.  

I appreciate you not getting defensive. I had a thought. Every loss in random he goes back two COOP until he wants to tackle a random.

There is just too much those seal clubbers know to do well against them as a 12 year old. I dont know how good you are but its takes 3.5 years and I am still struggling with some things and love it. I would have him focus on BB and show him how to select targets carefully. If not CA and bow in all day long and punish those who dont. DD play is brutal. Heck have him do CV. Protected forever and just can murder stuff if taught correctly.

Using cover in BB/CA is huge teaching  him about flanking and when to push and when to kite. There are some great PG-13 videos on Youtube that have improved me greatly.

Members
684 posts
11,580 battles
37 minutes ago, Gummby_ said:

You'd still get slaughtered even by bots in co-ops if you don't know the game's mechanism or how bots behave. I wouldn't expect a 12-year-old to understand technical stuff like the ballistics model, for example.

[SALVO]
Members
3,040 posts
7,029 battles
1 hour ago, zeke3 said:

I just recently rolled a new account to help grind oil for a second Salvo clan. So I got to experience the process of going through a new account.   Part of the problem your Grandson is experiencing is the jarring step up in difficulty from protected match making to the full on random experience.  The biggest deal here is that 90% of the teams in protected are made up of very bad bots. These bots are worse then even coop bots.  They rush to center then like to sit a few KM apart and miss each other. After that once you leave protected you are faced by a completely different META of real players old and new also the  constant ridiculous double CV matches  where protected sees CVs maybe 1 in 30 matches. 

While that low a bar of play may be fine for the first tier  there needs to be some sort of better process that allows players to get an idea about kiting and how dangerous other ships actually are before they get dumped into the real queue.

Also the more I play and watch my own children attempt playing the game the more I think this game simply isn't suitable for a younger crowd.      

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
5,751 posts
9,263 battles

This isn’t a casual game for children. Send him to co-op, or get him into a more age appropriate game.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[APEZ]
Members
2,516 posts
8,937 battles
1 hour ago, zeke3 said:

My 9 year old Nephew was in that Hosho wrecking your grandkid

He was having a blast 

Edited by why_u_heff_to_be_mad
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,059 posts
28,849 battles
12 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

This isn’t a casual game for children. Send him to co-op, or get him into a more age appropriate game.

Bingo!   That's the answer right there.

• Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
5,020 posts
22,111 battles
1 hour ago, zeke3 said:

That's terrible !  And, par for the course.

My Grandson cheated: his other grandmother bought him into the game with premium ships.  And, a posse of those knuckleheads he runs with have as well.  They were "retired" several months ago, when their parents found out what they were playing (gee, how did that happen>????) Now, since they are never going back to school, they are getting ready to get back into the game and participating in Ranked and Randoms............with great glee and squeals of laughter !!!  They love divisions and being challenged every match, with great bravado and zeal for hearth and home !  Of course, that's not optimal nor a winning strategy but, they are going to be not-in-school for the rest of 2020 and most of 2021......    And, I'll get to teach them some history over the coming months via FT or whatever face-to-face tech they prefer......  So, not a total loss since I can teach WW2 history and that fills an at-home graduation requirement.....  (I was an Assistant Professor when I was working and now lecture only at the Graduate level.....)  And, they get to play ! .........and learn...!  A win-win.  

@Hapa_Fodder you might want to consider "TED" type videos for the at-home teens......whom are playing the game, those educational pieces might just count as history content......  Food for thought.