You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dark_Power

Micro stuttering on external NVMe drive but not SATA

13 comments in this topic

[-WD-]
Beta Testers
44 posts
2,560 battles

I recently purchased a 1tb external NVMe drive (Hynix P31 Gold to be exact) and have moved most of my games to it. So far World of Warships is the only game that I am now experiencing issues in. Every second there appears to be a frame skip when playing in a battle (no frame skipping in port) and fps starts averaging around 40-60. I have checked the integrity of the game and there were no issues found. I have had no issues playing this game on an external SSD SATA drive or my internal SSD SATA drive. I don't think this is a computer issue, I usually play the game fine at around 120-144fps (after removing framerate limit in config file) so it can't be performance related.

Running Windows 10 version 2004.

NVMe drive is connected to a USB 3.0 port (yeah, I know my computer is older).

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,729 posts
14,874 battles

5 Gbit/second should be fast enough. Are you certain that it is a USB 3 port?

[-WD-]
Beta Testers
44 posts
2,560 battles
19 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

5 Gbit/second should be fast enough. Are you certain that it is a USB 3 port?

Yes, it's a USB 3.0/USB 3.1 gen 1/USB 3.2 gen 1x1 -  all of which are the same they just can't figure out how to make it any more confusing. Realistic sequential speed tops at around 220MB/s which is low when taking into consideration the overhead. My laptop which is newer but has the same version USB port tops at around 440MB/s on the same drive which is an expected value for 5Gbps theoretical. Either way, it's faster than my external 840 EVO which is connected to the same port. I'm assuming the issue is related to the NVMe protocol but I can't figure out why that would be. I'd assume other people have played this game on an NVMe drive and it would be a bigger issue if they experienced the same stuttering. I'm assuming then that it's related to being connected to USB and might even be driver related considering my motherboard is from 2012/2013 which was before NVMe became common. I might try playing the game on my craptop with an HD520 just for the sake of seeing if I get stuttering. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,729 posts
14,874 battles
11 minutes ago, Dark_Power said:

Yes, it's a USB 3.0/USB 3.1 gen 1/USB 3.2 gen 1x1 -  all of which are the same they just can't figure out how to make it any more confusing. Realistic sequential speed tops at around 220MB/s which is low when taking into consideration the overhead. My laptop which is newer but has the same version USB port tops at around 440MB/s on the same drive which is an expected value for 5Gbps theoretical. Either way, it's faster than my external 840 EVO which is connected to the same port. I'm assuming the issue is related to the NVMe protocol but I can't figure out why that would be. I'd assume other people have played this game on an NVMe drive and it would be a bigger issue if they experienced the same stuttering. I'm assuming then that it's related to being connected to USB and might even be driver related considering my motherboard is from 2012/2013 which was before NVMe became common. I might try playing the game on my craptop with an HD520 just for the sake of seeing if I get stuttering. 

Could be a driver/BIOS/UEFI issue if the lower end machine does alright.

[-WD-]
Beta Testers
44 posts
2,560 battles
4 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Could be a driver/BIOS/UEFI issue if the lower end machine does alright.

Just finished testing it out on my laptop. Even with the settings set to the lowest and 1366x768 resolution I was still able to notice the stutter in a training room battle. This would indicate it's also not a specific graphics setting causing this.

[TLOFT]
Members
39 posts
7,259 battles

Dark_Power,

By chance are you running any mods to the game itself? I had a situation similar to this not long ago that was fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling a mod for the game.

[-WD-]
Beta Testers
44 posts
2,560 battles
2 minutes ago, Gummby_ said:

Dark_Power,

By chance are you running any mods to the game itself? I had a situation similar to this not long ago that was fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling a mod for the game.

No mods are installed. I'd assume the integrity check would probably remove anything modded anyway. I also ran the WGcheck tools which removed some files it detected but the game still stutters. 

[TLOFT]
Members
39 posts
7,259 battles
23 minutes ago, Dark_Power said:

No mods are installed. I'd assume the integrity check would probably remove anything modded anyway. I also ran the WGcheck tools which removed some files it detected but the game still stutters. 

Another thing you might be able to do is ( if you have a second screen available if not alt tab is kind of a pain) is to have your task manager up with the performance tab open and check the usage of the NVME while duplicating the issue and see what the read/write speeds and if you see any issues visually could be possible you have a bad NVME or something is hindering it.

Edited by Gummby_

[WORX]
Members
12,543 posts
19,756 battles
5 hours ago, Dark_Power said:

have moved most of my games to it.

Sometimes in the process of moving to one spot to a stick... Some files, some settings become altered...

Here I am assuming, your CPU and ram combo can handle the load of playing WOWS from the stick..

Make sure,

• Settings in game are correct..
  • Settings with your drivers are up to date
  • Once verified, do a 5 min shut down w/o power of you system
    • Modem too.
  • Make sure you connection setting are correct as well.

IF you still have the issue, I am leaning towards re-installing the game.

This is what I would do..

Edited by Navalpride33

[-WD-]
Beta Testers
44 posts
2,560 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

Sometimes in the process of moving to one spot to a stick... Some files, some settings become altered...

Here I am assuming, your CPU and ram combo can handle the load of playing WOWS from the stick..

Make sure,

• Settings in game are correct..
  • Settings with your drivers are up to date
  • Once verified, do a 5 min shut down w/o power of you system
    • Modem too.
  • Make sure you connection setting are correct as well.

IF you still have the issue, I am leaning towards re-installing the game.

This is what I would do..

It happens on two separate computers when trying to play from the external nvme. I've copied the exact same game folder to a different drive and it runs fine. I could try doing a fresh install however based on everything else, I don't think that will fix it. 

[WORX]
Members
12,543 posts
19,756 battles
3 hours ago, Dark_Power said:

It happens on two separate computers when trying to play from the external nvme. I've copied the exact same game folder to a different drive and it runs fine. I could try doing a fresh install however based on everything else, I don't think that will fix it. 

Playing off the stick, I've so far haven't read good reviews on from those who have... HOWEVER, after clearing out bugs by reinstalling (trying to remember the last thread this was brought up). By a fresh install directly to the stick... They've had reported (from what I remember), no problems.

[-WD-]
Beta Testers
44 posts
2,560 battles
22 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Playing off the stick, I've so far haven't read good reviews on from those who have... HOWEVER, after clearing out bugs by reinstalling (trying to remember the last thread this was brought up). By a fresh install directly to the stick... They've had reported (from what I remember), no problems.

I'll give a fresh install a shot but later. For now I'll just play the game on a SATA ssd because it could take too much time figuring out how to fix it on the "stick".

[WORX]
Members
12,543 posts
19,756 battles
1 minute ago, Dark_Power said:

I'll give a fresh install a shot but later. For now I'll just play the game on a SATA ssd because it could take too much time figuring out how to fix it on the "stick".

I'll keep an eye out for others who play from the stick... For what I've come across, installing straight to the stick is no problem or issue..

Move it from the SSD to the stick... Bugs happen...

It should fix it... That is the only solution known from what I've seen.. I hope it helped.