You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Toxygene

Why Wows

36 comments in this topic

[O2]
Members
452 posts
10,033 battles

I am on a 3-months break from the game, but plan to return over the holidays. I love the game in spite of all its issues. Prinz Eugen, Tirpitz, Kronshtadt...all of those great ships. I looks forward to the rewards of completing missions and perhaps get lucky with a super container.

But I want to hear why you guys play the game. What's the big attraction that keeps you coming back?

[ARGSY]
Members
22,995 posts
17,020 battles
28 minutes ago, Toxygene said:

What's the big attraction that keeps you coming back?

I like being able to sail the ships I spent my childhood reading about, even if it's more arcadey than sim, even if some of them are paper (or maybe especially; I have a soft spot for unbuilt/cancelled what-ifs) and others had refits that don't strictly mesh with history (e.g. Iron Duke). 

I like the gameplay, whether against the bots or other humans - I even don't mind suffering the depredations of CV against DD in small doses, because I like the challenge of trying to do well in that context and I've got no hesitation in going back to co-op or even taking out a carrier myself if I get tired of it (I feel ethical in dishing the lumps out if I know I'm also going to take them at some stage).

I like finding the most efficient, useful and productive ways to complete directives (especially if there's a campaign or second directive set running at the same time), and I like winning event ships even if they are less-than-stellar.

Every now and then I get a pleasant surprise. For example, I pulled a Kiev monster camo and 10 point captain from a Pumpkin container a while back and I thought to myself "Well, I might as well grind for the Kiev; don't want to let it go to waste." I was almost shocked to find that once I started playing them, I really, REALLY liked the Russian destroyers. Being co-op biased if not an actual co-op main, the short torpedo range mattered a lot less, and I got on well with both the Gnevny and the Minsk. Gnevny I got soon after she received a turret rotation buff, and I liked her so much I bought her a permacamo. I won a permacamo for the Minsk in early '19, which was just as well since I had to grind that ship out twice, and later I had enough tokens from the RU BB launch event to get event camo for the Ognevoi. I don't feel a burning need to go any higher, but when I play both the Kiev and the Ognevoi I mostly have fun in them.

That was not what I expected to happen.

The other thing I really like is a lot of the players I interact with - here, on YouTube, Discord and Twitch, and also when real life lets me do my own streams for long enough that an audience starts to turn up. Some of them, particularly @Lord_Zath, @Destroyer_KuroshioKai and @Lightninger, have been amazingly helpful, and in Zath's case the prizes I've won on his stream and YT have actually had far-reaching (positive) ramifications in terms of the ship lines I've chosen to follow. He's the reason I'm YouTubing and streaming at all, quite frankly - another far-reaching implication. I found the forums very early in my playing career, and it's made all the difference - this game wouldn't be the same without all of that.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 2

[NSEW]
Members
2,234 posts
11,793 battles
24 minutes ago, Toxygene said:

My lazyness.  I'm too lazy to download and install games via Steam over slow internet (already purchased, would purchase, have purchased), not willing to upgrade my PC until I really need to.  This game runs fine as is.  If the game suddenly raised its requirements.  I'd revert to being lazy and drop the game instantly, with no hesitation.

[T2IOF]
Members
8 posts
6,145 battles

Personally, I've mostly only played FPS games (for like 9 years straight). This was my first game that was less shooter more arcade/strategy. On top of that, it was free to play so that got me playing. The reason why I continued was that I just like the flow of the game. It still feels fun the play and is actually more thinking less reaction time-related. Another thing is that the game is not pay-to-win and the most powerful ships are obtained by playing the game which is nice compared to some other games I've played. 

[-TKS-]
Members
3,354 posts
17,348 battles

Boredom. Now days I play when I'm still at my desk and have some downtime to burn. I used to play for fun but that's no longer the case.

[TWE]
Beta Testers
244 posts
1,573 battles

Because I like military history and don't play WoT anymore (or WoWp for that matter but that's just more down to lack of content rather than interest). Not to mention, as a F2P MOBA, it's quite easy to just pick up and put down. I could leave this game like I did once and come back 8 months later and still get more or less the same enjoyment out of it that I do now. And if nothing else, it kills time until Cyberpunk 2077 finally drops. ;)

[WOLFG]
Members
670 posts
14,263 battles

Because of World of Tanks is why I started playing. Got sick of getting nuked by premium ammo. Decided to try out World of Warships when it was released. Haven't gone back since. 

I keep playing because I find it fun. 

Edited by Colonel_Potter
  • Cool 3

[3FU]
Members
9 posts
2,208 battles

I have no idea why I still play. The game used to be fun but now it's more of a unwanted chore, logging in every single day to get coal and watch as I fail to make enough credits to sail even a T1 ship.

Members
4,358 posts
4,615 battles

As unhistorical as the tank armor mechanics were, I really enjoyed the mechanical aspects of the game and how everything mattered, but not to the same degree as tanks. I like warships and WoWs is one of the few games that lets you play a whole variety of them in one place. Since you only play one ship at a time, I got in a sense a closer connection to any given ship since my struggles only happened with those ships. Compared to a game like battlestations where your favorite is just kinda lost in the more RTS style zerg rush and there are other ships like it right next to it. Having spent money on the game has something to do with it too.  

• Thanks 1

[KSC]
Members
66 posts
23,038 battles
2 hours ago, Toxygene said:

There is always something new to master. Winning games (especially solo) is a never-ending challenge. The game is a constant test of decision making skills: moment-to-moment, engagement-to-engagement, phase-to-phase. 

If you care enough to look for it, there is always something to learn.

[PVE]
Members
1,142 posts
9,607 battles

I am still here because at this point everything I need to have fun I already have so it's fairly chill for me. For everything I want to do in the game I have one of each at the tiers I want to play in. I have good sources of ECXP, FXP, and credits so I am not short on anything important to me. If I were starting out fresh I might make a different decision.

[NOVEL]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,938 battles

Haven't play for about 2 weeks and feel good.

I have 150 games on steam, time to spend some time with them.

I played about 80 hours of Civ 6, played CoD: Cold War and wait till Cyberpunk 2077 is out in 2 weeks.

May play a few battles if they offer a Black Friday container this week. And may do the upcoming events. But for the fun? Naaaaah. After 5 years and all the changes (plus the upcomings) there is no real fun left for me.

[REVY]
Members
8,261 posts
6,118 battles

I like naval history although this game become more and more detached from reality by the day.  Heck, the parody of World of Warships has more history in it than this game.

• Cool 1

[NOVEL]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,938 battles
23 minutes ago, Sventex said:

I like naval history although this game become more and more detached from reality by the day.  Heck, the parody of World of Warships has more history in it than this game.

Watched it a few weeks ago, that is... funny!

[PSA]
Members
5,114 posts
3,732 battles

I'm already burnt out and don't play this game remotely as much as I used to. But it still has some appeal to me, and I've more or less stuck with it far longer than I do most games.

The appeal for me? The gorgeous ships, and the patient and skillful gameplay. It's a shooter that rewards positioning and aim far more than twitchy reflexes.

[NG-NL]
Members
6,378 posts
10,471 battles

I sometimes enjoy the challenge of using a ship to whack/outsmart other players.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,987 posts
9,887 battles

I like to battle other people, but I don't really like fantasy settings, and I'm too old for successful twitching.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,082 posts
22,596 battles

I actually started with World of Tanks (and that was because of all those COOL commercials on TV back in 2012 or 2013.  I found out, to my regret, that I played well enough at low tiers, but I didn't skill up real well real fast.  I took a break and when I came back I found out I was worse off because by then everyone knew every nook and cranny of every single map.  Where to charge with a medium or scout, where to hide with a TD and pick 'reds' off easily.  I had no such knowledge.  The chat was way more toxic than WoWs has ever been.

I looked at WoWps, and that just didn't appeal to me at all.

So I tried WoWs.  This is more my speed as I get 'slightly' older.  And now you all are stuck with me.

AND:  Right now, there is no other game that has caught my eye - yet (STILL waiting on Blizzard to get Diablo right).

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,335 posts
17,511 battles
7 hours ago, Toxygene said:

I am on a 3-months break from the game, but plan to return over the holidays. I love the game in spite of all its issues. Prinz Eugen, Tirpitz, Kronshtadt...all of those great ships. I looks forward to the rewards of completing missions and perhaps get lucky with a super container.

But I want to hear why you guys play the game. What's the big attraction that keeps you coming back?

Steaming around in warships and shooting big guns is just inherently fun. The fun factor in this game has always been great regardless of what meta we are in. For me the secret of keeping the fun is to play everything that way you can go with our counter the meta at your leisure.

DD Mafia, Radar, CV's, Dev strikes, HE spam does not matter to me. I can always follow the fun.

Also do not take yourself to seriously. Play to have fun or relax. You can play to achieve but you will burn out and not have as much fun in the long run.

Cheers.

[BB-57]
Members
387 posts
15,022 battles

"Hello darkness my old friend"

Play higher tiers to give my mind and emotions a workout. Grind a line or complete missions to reach a sense of achievement. Drop down to low tiers to relax and Pew...Pew...Pew.

One stop shop.

• Thanks 1

[PNP]
Members
493 posts
4,771 battles

Because I don't get to be spammed by a 105 leFH18B2 in Tanks. Dealing with a CV is much more palatable. Plus spotting mechanics in WoWs are much enjoyable to work with.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,277 posts

I enjoy the mental exercises that comes from solving a battle problem.

I have a petro at 14 km trying to radar me. I have 16 km torps with the Gearing. 1 minute 40 seconds to load a new set of torps. Where will we all be 2 minutes from now? Planning ahead.

If I catch a fat BB or three sitting behind a rock... plinking, torps go to him instantly. They always at some point detect the torps by the dozen at 1 km and closing at 70 knots while they are sitting on their fat BB [edited]at zero big knots. Then they spam the engine controls trying to get going.

THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP KABOOOM you have sunk a battleship.

Team chat from other side. YOU *&^% SO AND SO SNEAKY DD!!!! wth, OMG etc etc etc.

Nyah. I sunk a dumb battleship sitting on a island. Rest of room laughs with me.

Thats worth alot of chores at home.

[GLF]
Members
51 posts
25,458 battles

I enjoy the history, also being on the far side, the real far side, of fifty means twitch reaction games like fps are beyond me.

The 40 sec main battery reload on US standard BB line pretty  much matches my reaction time.

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,893 battles

Theres really no other game like this with the vast selection of ships it has. But. i refuse to do randoms. I enjoy the melee fighting of COOP over the island camping meta of Randoms, plus its easier to account for horrible players in COOP.