Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RonJamesDio

"Thar She Blows!" Or one man's quest to become a whale

43 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
263 posts
4,247 battles

The title says it all. I'm looking to pick up a tier 8 premium cruiser and am sitting on the fence as to which one to go with. Price is no object to me, but I want something fun and somewhat of a challenge to play, or with potentially unique gameplay. Two have stood out to me thus far after reading many reviews from Miss Mouse.

First, Pytor Bagration. The appeal of high velocity 180mm guns with improved pen angles and short fuses is admittedly high. I have yet to try the new RU cruiser line and have no experience with their guns, but I generally have no issues scoring hits at longer ranges and many of the ships I enjoy have higher velocity guns, i.e French BB's, Roma, Kronstadt. She also has a heal, and while it's apparently worse than standard, that's a huge bonus for me. 

Second, Prinz Eugen. Tanky, with high survivability and strong close range options. German cruiser AP, particularly at higher tiers, is a pleasure when you get opportunities to use it properly. HE with improved pen courtesy of the German flavor too. I have played the German cruiser line up to tier 9 and am currently grinding to the Hindenburg. Her armour scheme and repair party sound like a good recipe for close range engagements and the potential for exciting gameplay.

What do YOU think? Any suggestions? Which is the better ship? I cant decide!

Edited by RonJamesDio

0 posts

I have Bagration and rarely play it. She's not a bad ship, but also not amazing. I dont have eugen, but i do have mainz, and love her.

[WORX]
Members
12,420 posts
19,697 battles
11 minutes ago, RonJamesDio said:

What do YOU think? Any suggestions? Which is the better ship? I cant decide!

If money is no object, wait till either

• Thanks giving mega fleet special
    • OR
  • Christmass boxes...

If you manage to get a KUTUZOV, its money well spent... Again, if you have a endless hole in your budget...

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
263 posts
4,247 battles
Just now, Navalpride33 said:

If money is no object, wait till either

• Thanks giving mega fleet special
    • OR
  • Christmass boxes...

If you manage to get a KUTUZOV, its money well spend... Again, if you have a endless hole in your budget...

I already have a Kutuzov. I bought her way back when she first came out, before the smoke and open water stealth firing changes. She is a powerful ship still, but I dont play her that often due to the amount of grease I feel like when I ruin someone's day with her. 

I also have a Mainz and an Atago I just recently picked up. Both solid ships I enjoy, Atago especially. 

[PVE]
Members
4,974 posts
21,920 battles

I have both as well and I am a COOP main: and,  have a lot of games in both.  The Prince Eugen is the better performer in COOP close in.  The Bagration is a better flanking raider.  Both produce in COOP very well.  Can't talk about Randoms.  Hope this helps.  Buy both.

[WORX]
Members
12,420 posts
19,697 battles
3 minutes ago, RonJamesDio said:

I already have a Kutuzov. I bought her way back when she first came out, before the smoke and open water stealth firing changes. She is a powerful ship still, but I dont play her that often due to the amount of grease I feel like when I ruin someone's day with her. 

I also have a Mainz and an Atago I just recently picked up. Both solid ships I enjoy, Atago especially. 

Ok, wait for the specials I stated, see in the list of ships (if you dont need ships or you're over 300 ship club.. Disregard.) Which one you like and take it..

I say get the Kronstadt.

Edited by Navalpride33

[KWF]
Members
5,544 posts
6,848 battles

If you enjoyed even a little Hipper, Prinz Eugen sacrifices a little reload for heals, making you far more survivable. 

And overall is considered one of the better choices for competitive tier VIII modes whenever they are around.

Have heard good stuff about Bagration, but also about horrible firing angles, bad mobility, wonky accuracy at range.

Edited by warheart1992

[ARGSY]
Members
22,898 posts
16,963 battles

Things to think about:

If you get the Bagration, what captain are you going to put in it?

If you get the Eugen, you won't have a problem; you're already in the KM cruiser line to Tier 9, and although there are differences between the Eugen and the Hipper, they have much in common, and your Roon captain (who might or might not once have been your Hipper captain) will probably also match well. I have contemplated buying the Eugen a few times, but I figure that absent the heal, the Hipper can do all the same things and it would be unnecessary duplication. When WG gave me a discount coupon for the anniversary, I spent it on something different (Mainz) - but I see you've already gone there. 

Bagration is a risk for you, Eugen far less so. Nearest point of comparison to Bagration in the tech tree to find out what the guns are like is probably the Donskoi; have you sailed her yet at all? 

22 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I say get the Kronstadt.

If you read OP's post carefully, you'll see that he mentions having it and enjoying it.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,219 posts

The Prinz is not survivable against humans. With that said there are possibilites.

Any of the Russian Ships offer much in way of being able to get into a fight with guns that work. Or any number of other toys that work well, 12km radar on the Petro comes to mind. Just need to have something on the other team capable of deleting Petro.

• Meh 1

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
263 posts
4,247 battles
15 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

I have both as well and I am a COOP main: and,  have a lot of games in both.  The Prince Eugen is the better performer in COOP close in.  The Bagration is a better flanking raider.  Both produce in COOP very well.  Can't talk about Randoms.  Hope this helps.  Buy both.

How easy is it to get into optimal range with Eugen? She seems to be better the closer you can get to a target from what I've seen 

I play mostly randoms and ranked, but I don't think that has much bearing on a player's experience level or the value of their input. Everyone has something to contribute, regardless of what battle type they prefer.

[WORX]
Members
12,420 posts
19,697 battles
11 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

f you read OP's post carefully, you'll see that he mentions having it and enjoying it.

Seal pup looks like we have a difference in comprehension... I took the paragraph as he loves the "characteristics" of those ships or like wise ships...

No where did he states "I have" or any hint of possession in the overall paragraph... Therefor, in naming said ship, I understood it as his wish list not what he already has..

So my question is the following... If we both read the same paragraph, how did we get to a different station/conclusion? Inquiring minds *Mainly mine* want to know :Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by Navalpride33

[ARGSY]
Members
22,898 posts
16,963 battles
52 minutes ago, RonJamesDio said:

many of the ships I enjoy have higher velocity guns, i.e French BB's, Roma, Kronstadt.

@Navalpride33, this seems fairly clear to me.

How can he enjoy them if he doesn't have them?

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
263 posts
4,247 battles
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Things to think about:

If you get the Bagration, what captain are you going to put in it?

If you get the Eugen, you won't have a problem; you're already in the KM cruiser line to Tier 9, and although there are differences between the Eugen and the Hipper, they have much in common, and your Roon captain (who might or might not once have been your Hipper captain) will probably also match well. I have contemplated buying the Eugen a few times, but I figure that absent the heal, the Hipper can do all the same things and it would be unnecessary duplication. When WG gave me a discount coupon for the anniversary, I spent it on something different (Mainz) - but I see you've already gone there. 

Bagration is a risk for you, Eugen far less so. Nearest point of comparison to Bagration in the tech tree to find out what the guns are like is probably the Donskoi; have you sailed her yet at all? 

If you read OP's post carefully, you'll see that he mentions having it and enjoying it.

I have the Moskva from pre-removal, she was, I believe, my first tier 10. The only reason I don't have the new tier 10 Soviet cruisers is just sheer laziness and lack of time.The Donskoi was a fun ship for me, I thoroughly enjoyed all the RU cruisers of the original line, particularly Buddyonny and Chapyev. I bought Molotov because I enjoyed Dmitri's guns so much. 

The concerns I have regarding the Eugen are the difficulties she might have in closing to her ideal range. Roon is an enjoyable ship for me, but I find she is often forced to play much more passively despite her good survivability, due to the tremendous penetration and damage higher tier battleships can put out.

I found Donskoi to be competative even bottom tier, she was able to reliably strike targets even at max range regularly with her excellent ballistics. I could play her safely and still contribute damage reliably. 

How does Bagration do bottom tier compared to Eugen? 

[WORX]
Members
12,420 posts
19,697 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

@Navalpride33, this seems fairly clear to me.

How can he enjoy them if he doesn't have them?

They're others like them.. He might have say a ship with those features... SO he is gravitating to what he likes.. So If he likes them then get a Kron :Smile_smile:

[4HIM]
Members
3,244 posts
14,583 battles

Don't have the Bag, but do have the Prinz E.  If money isn't an issue, get the Prinz E and pick up the Alder camo.  It gets a bit of added Captain XP over the standard perma-camo.  And looks great too.  

[ARGSY]
Members
22,898 posts
16,963 battles
13 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

get a Kron

You know the only way to get a Kronshtadt these days is to throw endless heaps of money at Santa Crates and perform supplication to RNGesus, don't you?

@RonJamesDio - can you please settle the question of whether you own the Kronshtadt or not?

[WORX]
Members
12,420 posts
19,697 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:
16 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

You know the only way to get a Kronshtadt these days is to throw endless heaps of money at Santa Crates and perform supplication to RNGesus, don't you? 

He did say, Money was no object... But I did suggest some good times to buy... More bang for his mighty buck :Smile_izmena:

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,034 posts
20,716 battles

Atago > Mainz > Prinz Eugen > Irian > Anchorage > Pyotr Bagration, IMO.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,898 posts
16,963 battles
4 minutes ago, Lert said:

Atago > Mainz

In your hands, perhaps, but IMHO it's too dependent on light-vs-heavy or national preferences and intended use in the context of an existing fleet, inter alii, to constitute an absolute truth.

That being said, I think it's a very, very, very narrow call, and I had a hard time deciding between Atago and Mainz when WG gave me my anniversary coupon.  I picked Mainz because she offered me something in the German line I don't already have; namely a high-tier German light cruiser that I can bring to future T8+ permanent campaigns. If I need that in the Japanese line, I have 155 Mogami.  In addition, I was driven by the knowledge that on the basis of past performance, Atago B would likely be available for a substantial discount on Black Friday (or I might even luck out with a non-premium container and get her for free), so why not get both ships cheaply? 

The other thing that pushed me toward the Mainz is that while the Atago actually does have forward arcs on its torpedo launchers, unlike everything higher than the Furutaka, only half those launchers bear anything close to forward. The Mainz may have less torpedo RANGE, but that matters less for my chosen application. It's a very horses-for-courses thing, though, as I'm strongly biased toward co-op and firing torps all the way out to 10km in a cruiser's forward arc isn't something I often have a need for.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,898 posts
16,963 battles
7 minutes ago, Farm_Fresh_Eggs said:

ARP Maya

He already recently bought the Atago. Maya would be unnecessary duplication for him, and at a higher price. If he wants two Atagos, better to wait for the end of this week and potentially grab himself an Atago B at a discount, unless he thinks the aesthetic is worth paying extra for.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
263 posts
4,247 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

@RonJamesDio - can you please settle the question of whether you own the Kronshtadt or not?

I do in fact own the Kronstadt. I picked her up instead of the Musashi just before they were removed. You were right in your interpretation Cthulhu, I was implying that I own those ships. I figured it would be far easier to mention a few ships I already have that might have similar ballistics rather than name every ship I already own. 

While I do buy crates at christmas I limit myself to a certain number and if I end up with one of the banned prems I currently don't have then great, if not I just enjoy what I do get.

Sometimes not planning out what ships to buy can be fun, it forces me to adapt and learn a new style of play, which I find refreshing. I got my Hood in a summer sale crate and I have enjoyed it tremendously. Improved pen angles are a wonderful thing!

In this case I have 2 ships in mind that I am considering and am curious what people think of them.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,898 posts
16,963 battles
1 minute ago, RonJamesDio said:

I do in fact own the Kronstadt. I picked her up instead of the Musashi just before they were removed.

I went the opposite way and rejected Kronshtadt because I had not at that time invested anything in the RU cruiser line and didn't have a commander fit to put in her. Musashi seemed the better fit for me. Technically I could have got both, because Musashi was unusually offered for both coal AND free XP, but the coal was being saved up to put towards Salem.

In the long run, I consider that I made the right decision. Not having spent an extra 185,000 coal (approx, IIRC) on Musashi means that I was able to pick up all four of JB, Smolensk, Thunderer and Georgia with it without having to fret that I might miss out. (I mean, I'm sitting on nearly half a million coal RIGHT NOW, so I could probably still have got them all before they were pulled, but either one of Smol or JB might have been a narrow call.)

[WORX]
Members
12,420 posts
19,697 battles
9 minutes ago, RonJamesDio said:

I do in fact own the Kronstadt.

Thanks for the clarification...

@Ensign_Cthulhu

Ok seal pup he clarified it... However, there's no way I am eating Fruit on a pie as penance :Smile_izmena:

Sign in to follow this