You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
FrodoFraggin

Ise has moves

29 comments in this topic

[EQRN]
Members
2,193 posts
19,509 battles

Was reading the Wiki article on Ise and was amused by this:

”Ise was attacked by 80-odd aircraft from the fourth wave, but they failed to inflict any serious damage.  She dodged 11 torpedoes and was only hit by a bomb once, on the bulge outboard of the port catapult.  Some 34 other bombs near missed her...”

Just dodge, indeed. :cap_like:

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

[O_O]
Members
6,949 posts
16,796 battles

Ise must have been facing only one CV.

Because if she was facing two CV's, she would have been toast.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 2
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[REVY]
Members
8,240 posts
6,118 battles
9 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Ise was facing 10 USN CVs,( five large fleet carriers (Intrepid, Franklin, Lexington, Enterprise, and Essex), five light carriers (Independence, Belleau Wood, Langley, Cabot, and San Jacinto)), but Ise was part of a decoy force with Hyūga and 4 CVs, so the aviation attacks would have been distributed all around the decoy force.

Edited by Sventex
  • Thanks 3
  • Boring 1

[O_O]
Members
6,949 posts
16,796 battles
1 minute ago, Sventex said:

Ise was facing 10 USN CVs, 5 being major Fleet Carriers, but Ise was part of a decoy force with Hyūga and 6 CVs, so the aviation attacks would have been distributed all around the decoy force.

LOL...I was making a game reference, not an IRL reference.

• Cool 3

[-BCO-]
Members
1,674 posts
2,898 battles
20 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Ise was facing 10 USN CVs,( five large fleet carriers (Intrepid, Franklin, Lexington, Enterprise, and Essex), five light carriers (Independence, Belleau Wood, Langley, Cabot, and San Jacinto)), but Ise was part of a decoy force with Hyūga and 4 CVs, so the aviation attacks would have been distributed all around the decoy force.

Lol. U mean WeeGee should just "follow suit"??? :) Oh wait....IRL there was Cv vs Cv action...... 

I know... not really sportsman like.... 

Members
1,110 posts
1,576 battles
1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

Ise was facing 10. So if Ise could do it, everyone else should learn and stop complaining.

• Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[REVY]
Members
8,240 posts
6,118 battles
10 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

Ise was facing 10. So if Ise could do it, everyone else should learn and stop complaining.

If only World of Warships could be as well balanced as WWII was in real life.

a54faaf23bfffe0ecf0055ad54cdc0d9.gif

[REVY]
Members
2,606 posts
14,186 battles
8 hours ago, Sventex said:

LinedFlamboyantBellsnake-max-1mb.gif

2b77b4bfd3008f0516bba66d8d311f80.jpg

[PVE]
Members
381 posts
3,235 battles
12 hours ago, Sventex said:

Oh my I can hear the "wall of skill" torpedo captains and the "burn them down" HE captains gnashing their teeth now.

[RBMK]
Members
2,184 posts
34,424 battles
12 hours ago, black_hull4 said:

Everyone should also understand the hit rate for all ordinance is absurdly high compared to actual rates and refrain from making equivalencies in anything related to the video arcade game we play.

[EQRN]
Members
2,193 posts
19,509 battles
40 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

Everyone should also understand the hit rate for all ordinance is absurdly high compared to actual rates and refrain from making equivalencies in anything related to the video arcade game we play.

That is true, but this is also late war when US naval aviation was doing pretty well.   Even then, a few years earlier, Yorktown and Enterprise planes at Midway did pretty well against faster, more nimble ships, and the smackdown  Shoho got at Coral Sea...

[REVY]
Members
8,240 posts
6,118 battles
5 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

LinedFlamboyantBellsnake-max-1mb.gif

2b77b4bfd3008f0516bba66d8d311f80.jpg

1. The VAST majority of Kamikaze aircraft accomplished nothing but throwing their lives away.  Their greatest successes happened the first day they were used, after that never got close to achieving anything like that again as they did against the USS Franklin.  I would happily take their marginal effectiveness over the broken game balance we have now, because at least Kamikaze planes had a tendency to actually get shot down.

2. And if you want land based medium bombers in the game, well I can't stop you from wanting that.

Edited by Sventex

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,145 posts
12,717 battles
13 hours ago, black_hull4 said:

In that case WG needs to drastically buff ship acceleration and maneuverability.

Members
1,110 posts
1,576 battles
5 minutes ago, Sventex said:

2. And if you want land based medium bombers in the game, well I can't stop you from wanting that.

Such as the in-game Heinkel-111 & Messerschmitt-110?

[REVY]
Members
8,240 posts
6,118 battles
1 minute ago, black_hull4 said:

Oh do the German CVs use the 111s?  That explains a lot.

[REVY]
Members
2,606 posts
14,186 battles
38 minutes ago, Sventex said:

1. The VAST majority of Kamikaze aircraft accomplished nothing but throwing their lives away.  Their greatest successes happened the first day they were used, after that never got close to achieving anything like that again as they did against the USS Franklin.  I would happily take their marginal effectiveness over the broken game balance we have now, because at least Kamikaze planes had a tendency to actually get shot down.

1. I don't think I mentioned anything about Kamikaze aircraft.

2. It is a fact that land based aircraft did do quite a bit of damage to both warship and cargo ship alike, at sea and at port/anchor.

21 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

19 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Oh do the German CVs use the 111s?  That explains a lot.

There were two scenarios that used land-based aircraft: Dunkirk and Cherry Blossom.

pretty sure only Do17 and Ju87 appeared in the Dunkirk one.

Members
610 posts
11,123 battles
14 hours ago, Sventex said:

That would be nice, wouldn't it? No plane regen for CVs, no torp reload for DDs, no insane AA for CAs, etc..

Members
610 posts
11,123 battles
57 minutes ago, Sventex said:

And if you want land based medium bombers in the game, well I can't stop you from wanting that.

Might as well just play WG's competitor since it's a better simulator. (better simulator =/= better game, just for the record)

Edited by Singularity_invader

[REVY]
Members
8,240 posts
6,118 battles
22 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

1. I don't think I mentioned anything about Kamikaze aircraft.

Then I don't know what your gif is.  Is it a commentary on how ships have randomly exploded in port?

[REVY]
Members
2,606 posts
14,186 battles
1 hour ago, Sventex said:

Then I don't know what your gif is.  Is it a commentary on how ships have randomly exploded in port?

that was the Arizona at Pearl Harbor

[REVY]
Members
8,240 posts
6,118 battles
1 minute ago, Lord_Slayer said:

that was the Arizona at Pearl Harbor

Yeah I suppose ships can be attacked in peacetime.  Not sure how that'll translate into the game.  Perhaps your requesting that CVs now can attack you while your in the port menu while your afk?

[REVY]
Members
2,606 posts
14,186 battles
1 minute ago, Sventex said:

Yeah I suppose ships can be attacked in peacetime.  Not sure how that'll translate into the game.  Perhaps your requesting that CVs now can attack you while your in the port menu while your afk?

your original post was if WoWs could be as balanced as WW2 was in real life and showed AAA actually doing what it was designed to do.

The fact is that the ships in WoWs cover a large spread of ships from 1900s to the 1950s. Not all ships were created equal, nor was all AAA as effective as others were.

The Arizona and the other ships at Pearl had the basic AAA of the day for the peacetime USN, and for the most part it was pretty ineffective.

The Royal Navy had been at war for over 3 years when Repulse and PoW were sunk. They had more modern AAA and yet only were able to down 4 of the attacking aircraft.

Toward the end of the war, the USN had far superior AAA then what they had started with. Even then, a ship alone wouldn't be able to do much, but a group of ships together could survive an airborne attack.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,784 posts
7,404 battles
16 hours ago, Sventex said:

Yea WWII AA was pretty  impressive IRL....   Because everyone knows CVs did not make pretty much every other surface ship obsolete.   

[REVY]
Members
8,240 posts
6,118 battles
1 minute ago, iRA6E said:

Yea WWII AA was pretty  impressive IRL....   Because everyone knows CVs did not make pretty much every other surface ship obsolete.   

I don't know, a lot of laymen do get that impression from WWII.  They never ask why the US never stopped building submarines, destroyers, cruisers and Battleships but they do end up thinking that CVs were the only viable combat ship.

I think maybe people get in it their head that the reason we lost the Battle of Pearl Harbor was not that it was an illegal sneak attack in peacetime, but merely it was merely the fact that it was Battleships being sunk, therefore were not viable, despite also believing the Bismarck was a colossal threat.

WW-Philippine-Sea-5-HTJul04-1-1200x350-c