You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
megahugenoob

Alaska Going away? Next Free XP Ships?

35 comments in this topic

[JMMAF]
Members
633 posts
8,989 battles

Just read the patch notes.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/bulletin-0911-0912/

Someone was saying in a match I was just in that Alaska is going away.  I didn't see anything in there about it.  IS it no longer for sale?  I am close to 2 million free XP, I have been saving it to find out what next free XP ships will be and Didn't want to buy Alaska till I found out whats up with the next round of ships.  Anyone know whats coming?  

Also, if the Alaska is going away, is she still worth 1million free XP? How does she hold up in the current meta?   Thanks in advance.

[GGWP]
Members
7,204 posts
16,673 battles
2 minutes ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

Alaska is the best tier IX cruiser in game.

That's literally all there is to it 

But what about Drake?? 

I'll see myself out. 

• Haha 2

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,266 battles
28 minutes ago, DuckyShot said:

But what about Drake?? 

Just another goose without a golden egg! (Dinner is served!)

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,776 posts
712 battles

Wait, when is Alaska going away? I thought they said like 10.1..

I'm at the tail end of my free EXP grind, but I was under the impression that I still had a while..

[JMMAF]
Members
633 posts
8,989 battles
1 minute ago, ramp4ge said:

Wait, when is Alaska going away? I thought they said like 10.1..

I'm at the tail end of my free EXP grind, but I was under the impression that I still had a while..

It looks like according to the link above you still have a bit over 2 months. At least thats how I Read it.

• Meh 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,776 posts
712 battles
9 minutes ago, megahugenoob said:

It looks like according to the link above you still have a bit over 2 months. At least thats how I Read it.

That's how I was reading it too. Good to know I wasn't crazy.

[O_O]
Members
6,890 posts
16,520 battles
55 minutes ago, megahugenoob said:

Also, if the Alaska is going away, is she still worth 1million free XP? How does she hold up in the current meta?

Alaska, Massachusetts, and Thunderer are all being pulled.  It is unknown what will replace them, or if they will return.

All three are VERY worth it.

I don't have Smaland.  Georgia is also very good.

[PROJX]
Members
1,115 posts
29,160 battles
1 hour ago, megahugenoob said:

Just read the patch notes.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/bulletin-0911-0912/

Someone was saying in a match I was just in that Alaska is going away.  I didn't see anything in there about it.  IS it no longer for sale?  I am close to 2 million free XP, I have been saving it to find out what next free XP ships will be and Didn't want to buy Alaska till I found out whats up with the next round of ships.  Anyone know whats coming?  

Also, if the Alaska is going away, is she still worth 1million free XP? How does she hold up in the current meta?   Thanks in advance.

Generally speaking, if u want Alaska or another ship that is about to be removed, you should get it while you can.   When FXP ships are introduced, they generally are available for about a year, so even if a new one drops in a couple of months, you'll have over a year to collect enough FXP to get that ship.   Having said that, here are some possibilities:

FXP ships have been T9 (1M FXP) or T10 (2M FXP) in the recent past.   The following ships are in the near term pipeline that fit the tiers - note these could also be designated as Coal or Research Bureau ships by WG & the currencies have not been declared for these vessels.

• Plymouth (T10 RN CL)
  • Z-44 (T9 KM DD)
  • Marco Polo (T9 RM BB - likely to be offered w/ upcoming Italian BB branch)
  • Vampire II (T10 Commonwealth (Australian) DD)

Feng Yang is a T8 Pan-Asian DD & not at a past FXP tier.   Hizen, the T9 IJN  BB is the New Years Build Event ship so there is a mission/doubloon/Premium Shop price on her.  Strasbourg (T7) is a Temporary Campaign ship so there is a Mission/Premium Shop price on her.  Mysore is a T6 Indian DD.  Flint (T7) & Neustrashimy (T9) have been stated to return for purchase at some point for Coal (used to be Steel ships).

Edited by hangglide42
  • Cool 2

[SIM]
Members
5,582 posts
9,007 battles

If you can get Alaska for free XP, do so. It's honestly that simple (and probably indicative of why she "needs" to be pulled).

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles
12 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

If you can get Alaska for free XP, do so. It's honestly that simple (and probably indicative of why she "needs" to be pulled).

TBF I dont doubt the popularity thing they stated. Even in COOP i see at least one per match(Or an Alaska B.) at tier 9. They arent pulling the other free EXP ships at the same time but i also dont see them often.

Members
3,354 posts
17,002 battles

I just picked up Alaska for FXP because so many people were ranting about how great it is. Still haven't had time to play it. In fact, between all the coal, FXP and Steel ships lately I don't have time to play most most of them. 

There comes a point when you have earned over 45 premium ships and there's little incentive to play much. 

• Cool 1

[PHD]
Members
1,063 posts
6,083 battles
1 hour ago, hangglide42 said:

Generally speaking, if u want Alaska or another ship that is about to be removed, you should get it while you can.   When FXP ships are introduced, they generally are available for about a year, so even if a new one drops in a couple of months, you'll have over a year to collect enough FXP to get that ship.   Having said that, here are some possibilities:

FXP ships have been T9 (1M FXP) or T10 (2M FXP) in the recent past.   The following ships are in the near term pipeline that fit the tiers - note these could also be designated as Coal or Research Bureau ships by WG & the currencies have not been declared for these vessels.

• Plymouth (T10 RN CL)
  • Z-44 (T9 KM DD)

Feng Yang is a T8 Pan-Asian DD & not at a past FXP tier.   Hizen, the T9 IJN  BB is the New Years Build Event ship so there is a mission/doubloon/Premium Shop price on her.  Strasbourg (T7) is a Temporary Campaign ship so there is a Mission/Premium Shop price on her.  Mysore is a T6 Indian DD.  Flint (T7) & Neustrashimy (T9) have been stated to return for purchase at some point for Coal (used to be Steel ships).

Considering none of these ships have gotten my attention, I will probably get Småland anyway. Or save the XP for the bureau....who knows

[LSNB]
Members
3 posts
4,230 battles

Are you saving it for Smallland with the 2 Mil Free Exp? I believe that ship is getting removed too so I think it depends on which one you want.  Alaska is very strong. It has good armor, radar, hydro, and 301mm guns with USN AP so it can hurt cruiser and at close range BB as well. 

[O_O]
Members
6,890 posts
16,520 battles
5 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I just picked up Alaska for FXP because so many people were ranting about how great it is. Still haven't had time to play it. In fact, between all the coal, FXP and Steel ships lately I don't have time to play most most of them. 

There comes a point when you have earned over 45 premium ships and there's little incentive to play much. 

Alaska IS a great ship.  You won't be disappointed.

45 premium ships, you say?  :Smile_veryhappy:

You have a point, though.  I have 111 premium ships and only paid some amount of $$ for 45 of them.  Add in my considerable array of tech tree ships, and I have 232 ships in port.  If there is a mission parameter, I have a ship to satisfy it (except T8+ CV).  Some of those ships are pretty great.  But, with mission parameters and tech tree grinds, many collect dust because I simply don't have the time (and waning interest) to play that much in a day.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 1

[ASHIP]
Members
138 posts
10,953 battles

Is the Smaland worth the 2 mil FXP? I am considering getting it since it is slated to leave. But, is Smaland REALLY worth it?

[NG-NL]
Members
6,299 posts
10,215 battles

Own Alaska. She's a good BC and shines as a mid-range CR/BB support. I rely chiefly on her AP even vs. DDs since she can get the 33% pens easily enough.

Bow-in, she's one the tankiest cruisers. However, a yammy/Mushi/repub will ruin a face-tanking Alaska quickly.

Pretty good AA too, but no torps and laughable secondaries. Definitely not a good choice if brawl a lot.

Insofar as capt XP, good for training a CR/BB captain; less advised for DD captain since need EM skill, esp. if running MBM3. She also has a good income potential; with premium and all credit flags I easily pulled 700K+ profit per match.

Plus, since T9, Alaska can sometimes pick on 7s for laughs.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,216 posts
16,179 battles
5 hours ago, hangglide42 said:

Mysore is a T6 Indian DD. 

Mysore is a downtiered Fiji with X turret removed (as it was in real life, to ease topweight issues for adding AA etc.). 

[M-O-M]
Members
170 posts
7,365 battles

Greetings:

I have been saving coal for close to a year.  It was enough to secure the Georgia.  I was afraid to collect all this coal to only miss the deadline. 

WOWs needs to add more variety to the selection of coal ships. They might also add mid tier ships for coal.

[O_O]
Members
6,890 posts
16,520 battles
3 hours ago, TarasBulba_ said:

Is the Smaland worth the 2 mil FXP? I am considering getting it since it is slated to leave. But, is Smaland REALLY worth it?

Since Smaland is the only one of the five slated for removal I do not already own, I have had the same question.  Two million Free XP is a hefty price tag, after all.

From what I have read, the answer is simply...

...it depends.

Great.  I was also hoping for something more definitive.  I am leaning towards, NO.  Mostly because TWO MILLION Free XP is just too hefty of a cost for me to choke down.  And, because I am curious what else is coming down the pipe (Kitakami?).  So, after doing a double reset of the Research Bureau (points of which I am also going to bank, for now), I am going to hold my remaining 3M Free XP and see what is coming next.  If I miss out on Smaland, so be it.  I already have Freisland, and Halland from the tech tree sounds pretty promising.

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,766 posts
3 hours ago, TarasBulba_ said:

The question is more what else do you have planned for the 2M FXP.

Is it good. yes.

Is it a must have, probably not.

Is it better than the Hayate for the same price, almost definitely.

Will the Vampire-2 be for FXP and be in competition for your FXP, who knows for now.

Do I regret spending 2M FXP for it, hell no, Its a fun ship.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,415 posts
12,296 battles
7 hours ago, hangglide42 said:
  • Plymouth (T10 RN CL)
  • Z-44 (T9 KM DD)

out of those, i feel like Z-44 is the most likely to be FXP, Plymouth i think will be either Coal or Steel, Vampire II, possibly the same path as Plymouth, MP, maybe the Dockyard ship for the Italian BB quarter?

[NG-NL]
Members
352 posts
10,073 battles
9 hours ago, TarasBulba_ said:

6 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Since Smaland is the only one of the five slated for removal I do not already own, I have had the same question.  Two million Free XP is a hefty price tag, after all.

From what I have read, the answer is simply...it depends
...If I miss out on Smaland, so be it.  I already have Freisland, and Halland from the tech tree sounds pretty promising.

"It depends" is a good answer!

tl;dr. Småland is a Tier 10 Östergötland with radar. Moderate to high skill floor, high skill ceiling.

I find that Småland does one thing well: it murders other DDs. It does that very, very well.
Småland has 6.8km base concealment and 7.5km Radar. Get out front, don't overextend, and anything that detects you becomes a Scooby Snack.
20 second knife fight to the death. Use your guns (4x 120mm at 1.3 second reload) to overwhelm the other ship before they sink you.
It's a hell of a rush. That's why you spent 2 million Free XP.

I'm used to open-water gunboat play, like in the Khabarovsk or German cruisers. So in Småland, I take Incoming Fire Alert and play close to my max gun range of 13.7km and make happy little rainbows with nice warm little sailors on the other end. Friesland without a smoke.
If this sounds good, take Friesland.

Småland has 12km torpedoes, 5+3 for a total of 8. They're the same Swedish Fish that the tech tree has.
If you like European torpedo boats, take Halland.

Edited by imaginary_b

[ALLY]
Members
349 posts
19,693 battles
9 hours ago, TarasBulba_ said:

Taras,

It depends on how you play DDs.  NoZoupforYou has a very good review of the Smalland.  It convinced me to get it, but if you do not like playing to its strengths, you may not want to get it.

C130 signing out

• Cool 2