Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Filthywon

More noob questions

23 comments in this topic

[WOLF7]
Members
97 posts
3,013 battles

After collegiate levels of reading and watching videos I have a couple questions that I can't find answers to and I'm pretty sure they're simple but they still escape me.

If I press p on my keyboard it says secondaries deactivated why would I want to deactivate my secondaries? Does that improve my stealth ability? I can't think of one positive from that scenario that's obvious anyway.

Second question top left corner of my keyboard I hit a key and it said AA priority sector selected. I don't know how to select it or what that even means can anybody help me out with these two questions I appreciate it.

[GOB]
Members
2,709 posts
7 minutes ago, Filthywon said:

After collegiate levels of reading and watching videos I have a couple questions that I can't find answers to and I'm pretty sure they're simple but they still escape me.

If I press p on my keyboard it says secondaries deactivated why would I want to deactivate my secondaries? Does that improve my stealth ability? I can't think of one positive from that scenario that's obvious anyway

Second question top left corner of my keyboard I hit a key and it said AA priority sector selected. I don't know how to select it or what that even means can anybody help me out with these two questions I appreciate it.

Shutting off Secondaries and AA is MANDATORY for any DD that wants to live.  Only turn it on if you are setting a AA trap If it is a  great AA DD ( Halland etc )  or when you are spotted and have no choice.   If you have a Good AA DD you can also use it to help cover teammates.

Setting your AA sector is as simple as " Looking" in the direction you want it to be strongest ( towards the attacking planes ) and hit that button.

Have fun!

Edited by Col_Nasty
  • Thanks 2

[_BDA_]
Members
133 posts
3,607 battles
5 minutes ago, Filthywon said:

If I press p on my keyboard it says secondaries deactivated why would I want to deactivate my secondaries? Does that improve my stealth ability? I can't think of one positive from that scenario that's obvious anyway.

To answer your questions, you would want to deactivate your AA guns because if your aa guns start firing at enemy aircraft, your air spotting range will increase to the maximum range of your aa guns.   This makes it easier for enemy CVs to spot and strike you. This really only applies to destroyers as most other ships have an air detection range which far out strips their aa gun range.

Secondly in order to activate priority sector, you simply rotate your camera view to the side you want prioritize and then hit O.

• Thanks 1

[CO-OP]
Members
2,647 posts
27,757 battles

As others have stated, if you have your AA activated your detection range is increased.  For destroyers and some other ships stealth is paramount to your survival, so you often want to hold fire until you are actually detected by air before you fire.

Cut and paste from the wiki:

Firing AA guns

Firing AA guns will increase air detectability (but not sea detectability) by an amount depending on the ship. The detectability range by air is equal to the firing range of the ship's AA guns for a period of two seconds after her AA guns cease firing. This affects detectability only in situations where enemy aircraft are within the range of your AA defenses.

AA guns can be toggled with the P key.

• Thanks 1

[WOLF7]
Members
97 posts
3,013 battles

Thank you for clearing that up. I don't play destroyers yet so that probably added to the confusion for me but your answers make sense thanks again much appreciated. 

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,291 posts
19,203 battles

Others covered it good.

One thing about DDs.  If your AA range is LESS than the range you're are spotted from the air, might as well leave them on.  Only need to turn them off when your AA range exceeds the range you are spotted from the air.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Thanks 1

[PVE]
Members
7,576 posts
23,591 battles
2 hours ago, Filthywon said:

Thank you for clearing that up. I don't play destroyers yet so that probably added to the confusion for me but your answers make sense thanks again much appreciated. 

Another thing is both 2ndaries & AA have tracers that can be seen & may make it where ships (especially CVs...but other ships also) can (not lock onto you...but) get an idea where you are in smoke to attempt blind fires to reset you when you are capping or just try for damage on you.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Thanks 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,990 posts
17,004 battles
2 hours ago, Filthywon said:

I don't play destroyers yet

When you start, pay careful attention to the AA ranges your new ship has when you move up a tier. Even experienced players can get caught out. I went from Tier 8 Kagero to Tier 9 Yugumo and missed that the Yugumo's long-range AA extends out beyond its air detectability distance (unlike Kagero). I found out the hard way when my heavy AA started opening fire at 5km and gave me away, whereas if I'd switched it off, the enemy might have flown within ~3km of me without noticing. It nearly cost me my ship.

• Thanks 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,557 posts
4,771 battles
3 hours ago, Filthywon said:

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Anti-Aircraft_Fire#Sector_Reinforcement

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,557 posts
4,771 battles
10 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

That's the o key. Doubles AA accuracy, doubles damage per second, halves reload of AA guns on the side of the ship that your cursor is pointed in. But it also decreases DPS by 50% on the other side. 

Not quite.  Read the article.

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator
3,330 posts
16,913 battles
4 hours ago, Filthywon said:

Another scenario for turn off your AA

you want to stealth stalking and the bb have spotting/fighter plane up in the air, the detection radius of your dd is stealth then the plane radius, and you want to get in as close as you can to lunch your torp.

you want to continue to be your team eye and spotting the enemy team

you want to sneak through and get behind enemy line and go for the CV, you see plan coming at your direction, you can still try to avoid detection from 4km away start doing something

By having your AA priority sector, all aa had a short burst of increase in fire power (intensify fire from that side, only AA), this cause the squadron attacking you do a panic attack instead of focus attack. With the panic attack, the spread/drop (dive bomb) pattern is broader so you can dodge more easily, and you can kill off some attacking planes.

How to select it? When you see incoming planes, and they are just about your max AA range (you need to research for each AA range for ships that you play, they all have different range. General speaking 6km away) start turning left or right and hit the key. They will automatically select the sector that facing the plane most.

If you turn left, they select your right side AA

If you turn right, they select your left side AA

So if you can max your minimap and situational awareness skills, you dont turn to show your broadside to enemy bb/cruiser just so to shoot down some planes. So it included a lot of practices and what is more important in that particular moment. Skills that even high tier player (me) sometime derpy on it. It not easy

regards,

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,400 posts
10,614 battles
4 hours ago, Filthywon said:

1- P turns off secondaries and AA guns.

AA you want to turn off if you are a DD because your stealth vs. air is shorter than your AA range.. many times a CV will just skirt almost to your detection range then fly away.. leaving you unspotted. If the AA had been turned on your AA would've revealed you early enough for CV to make an attack run on you.

Also, if you a DD or any other ship that uses smoke, you will want to turn off AA because a CV can still guesstimate where your ship is by looking at where tracers come from inside the smoke.

Secondary guns you would want to turn off generally to lay a trap. There are some ships that usually don't take secondary specialization or kit for it... and DD and cruisers tend to want to get much closer to those to fire torpedoes.. even if they spotted. If you hold your fire until the DD is inside your 'normal' un-specced secondary range then let them loose.. the red ship will assume the incoming fire is going to be highly inaccurate.. and then gets hammered by it.. as they try to turn around and pull away they get hit with the second surprise of your secondaries reaching them out a few more KM's of distance.

2- AA sector reinforcement is

When you reinforce, 2 things happen:

a - AA aura around the ship gets buffed in strength on one side of the ship only..while the strength on the opposite side is weakened. The buff comes in a gradual yet fast increase..about 10 seconds. Affects both flak and direct AA.

b- Your ship does a single, high damage burst on the airplanes. This is based on your ship AA rating and number of guns that can reach the planes at that range. However, only DIRECT DAMAGE guns count towards this damage spike.

There is a captain skill that greatly increases this one time damage. Most people don't know this and just hit the reinforce sector the moment enemy planes are in range... and this would be a good thing IF you ship is an AA-strong ship... because you already have strong direct damage so a spike does a good bit... but it wont be as much as having buffed AA damage the whole time red planes are over you. If you are not an AA strong ship, you already know your AA isn't going to do much .. so your best bet is to hold fire until the planes are in range of MOST of your direct damage guns.. usually inside 2.5km's. A damage spike there and then will be much more damaging than a weak spike far away and weak damage as planes come in. 

...and you can combine and stack that with the AA consumable. There are ships out there.. of a certain nation the devs love to OP nonstop.. which has very high direct damage output but isn't AA strong overall... and when the AA consumable plus AA capt skills plus AA kit is combined with 'hold fire till in max damage range' ..they activate all that plus the consumable and literally destroy the entire enemy plane squadron in one massive damage spike.  

You dont need to do much to select it.. whichever side of the ship your camera is pointing at when you hit the ~ key is the side that will be reinforced.

[PVE]
Members
7,576 posts
23,591 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Please tell me I read that wrong...

MAAF...a 4 point skill...is only recommended on T5 & lower ships (oops...my mistake...not even recommended for T5...just below T5 ships) where the commander is required to never move to a ship higher than T5 (T4 actually) for the MAAF 4 point skill to not actually result in a nerf to your ships priority sector damage output ("removes most of the bonus of sector reinforcement")...at least on ships w/"decent" AA.

A 4 point skill recommended for T4 or lower only? Please tell me I'm reading that wrong...PLEEEEEASE.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,557 posts
4,771 battles
16 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Please tell me I read that wrong...

MAAF...a 4 point skill...is only recommended on T5 & lower ships (oops...my mistake...not even recommended for T5...just below T5 ships) where the commander is required to never move to a ship higher than T5 (T4 actually) for the MAAF 4 point skill to not actually result in a nerf to your ships priority sector damage output ("removes most of the bonus of sector reinforcement")...at least on ships w/"decent" AA.

A 4 point skill recommended for T4 or lower only? Please tell me I'm reading that wrong...PLEEEEEASE.

<heh>  You'd think I get paid by the word. I could have simply written THIS SKILL SUCKS DON'T TAKE IT instead of showing why it sucks. 

In the instance, there are a few ships that do benefit from MAAF.  (Whether that benefit is worth 4 points is up to the player).  In the larger view, if the captain is ever to move then the skill will probably hurt the AA performance of the new ship. 

On first reading, I thought MAAF did something useful and wrote that section very differently indeed.  It was rewritten to address those with the same impression.  (Some still have it.  I had one guy actually edit it to conform to his flawed understanding.)

WAIT!! You actually read it?  Will wonders never cease?

Spoiler

559556813_happyducks.gif.c221203c5883947b4b9003ea8495f333.gif

• Funny 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,557 posts
4,771 battles
1 hour ago, Skyfaller said:

Affects both flak and direct AA.

Sector reinforcement does not affect flak.  Read the article.

1 hour ago, Skyfaller said:

Your ship does a single, high damage burst on the airplanes. This is based on your ship AA rating and number of guns that can reach the planes at that range.

No.  Instantaneous damage is a flat percentage of the squadron's current HP -- 5% for DDs, 3.5% for everything else.  The squadron must be within the AA aura but otherwise the effect does not depend on the ship's guns.  Read the article.

The rest of your advice is even more questionable.

Edited by iDuckman

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,557 posts
4,771 battles
1 hour ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

this cause the squadron attacking you do a panic attack instead of focus attack. With the panic attack, the spread/drop (dive bomb) pattern is broader so you can dodge more easily,

That used to be the case.  It no longer is.

you need to research for each AA range for ships that you play, they all have different range

Much easier to just turn on the AA circle on the mini-map.  For maximum effect, wait until the squadron is just inside the circle before triggering Sector Reinforcement.

Unfortunately, the default setting for the AA circle is Off. You have to turn it on for each ship.

Edited by iDuckman

[PVE]
Members
7,576 posts
23,591 battles
2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

WAIT!! You actually read it?  Will wonders never cease?

Hide contents

559556813_happyducks.gif.c221203c5883947b4b9003ea8495f333.gif

YAY...HAPPY DUCKIES!!!

I read plenty of the wiki...when it is linked in the forums to the section relevant to the thread I'm reading (& sometimes I'll even extend beyond that via the link if the heading of the next section is something interesting or something I've wondered about).

I just never actually went directly to the wiki for anything & either rely on my memory of what I've read in the past...or just make stuff up :-)

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator
3,330 posts
16,913 battles
1 hour ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

oops...my mistake...not even recommended for T5...just below T5 ships

Mikasa would like to have a word with you :cap_rambo:

[PVE]
Members
7,576 posts
23,591 battles

Mikasa would like to have a word with you :cap_rambo:

Mikasa is below T5... it's T2...the problem w/the skill is it is no good on ships above T4...& it costs 4 skill points.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,972 posts
9,887 battles
7 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

When you start, pay careful attention to the AA ranges your new ship has when you move up a tier. Even experienced players can get caught out. I went from Tier 8 Kagero to Tier 9 Yugumo and missed that the Yugumo's long-range AA extends out beyond its air detectability distance (unlike Kagero). I found out the hard way when my heavy AA started opening fire at 5km and gave me away, whereas if I'd switched it off, the enemy might have flown within ~3km of me without noticing. It nearly cost me my ship.

Heh, I had the opposite going from Akatsuki to Kagero, kept turning the AA off. (though it's not like there's any point turning on Kag's AA lol)

[PUMA]
Members
162 posts
9,785 battles
13 hours ago, Filthywon said:

Well I guess it is already answered, but just want to add, if you have Mass or Georgia. Get manual 2nd skill, you want to turn off  2nd for a DD trap.  Wait for them to enter about 8K range and enable the 2nd. That DD will die in no time.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,268 posts
18 hours ago, Filthywon said:

If I am a Shima going to a far away objective in a Clan Battle against a human CV that will HUNT DD to death straight away in the beginning. I pop smoke before I am detected by the incoming air strike and then reposition within that smoke with air defense and secondaries off. Full quiet.

A very good CV player can circle you a few times if you did not disable your AA and do not move you will eventually be guessed and then hit hard sitting still. If you disable AA then you wait quietly until a AA Cruiser or BB comes your way to melt the pesky planes. It takes a minute or three. Most people do not have that patience. Its necessary if you want to stay alive and not be destroyed by CV air in clan battles and random etc.

In addition I like to be against a island when the planes come. Sometimes they cannot have a valid attack path so they give up after a while. I do not contribute much to the battle but neither is the CV human attacking anyone else. SO its a mexican stand off. Eventually your smoke goes bye bye and you still have a problem. Might as well start shooting when it does until you are destroyed. Its not a if but when.

Thats why when I find a game match with CV players I don't participate much. I'll just putt putt along waiting to be destroyed. More than likely I am afk doing chores or whatever to pass the time until next match.

Sign in to follow this