Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TaxDollarsAtWork

Next Torp Boat line to grind

12 comments in this topic

[NSEW]
Members
463 posts
4,088 battles

I'm currently looking for new Torp lines to grind and would like something similar to the ones I already have and enjoy being the Pan Asian and European line.

I'm looking for adaptable utility ships with decent to good torp power I was contemplating UK DD or US DD lines next,

German DDs do strike me as peculiar mostly because of the potential of offensive hydro though talk of them being power crept means I'm not that enthused by the line at the moment

Edited by TaxDollarsAtWork

[BB-57]
Members
392 posts
15,029 battles

This probably won't be much help as I don't know your play style and you don't know my mostly overly aggressive style. :cap_rambo:

That said, between UK and US... I can make the US DD's work well (they just "feel" right) with the UK, not so much.  Then again I don't grind a single line at a time, I tend to meander up whatever I feel like at the time, or whatever missions are supporting for rewards. Personally I don't like tier X so I'm not in a hurry to get line after line up there. Just having fun.

Good luck !

[NSEW]
Members
463 posts
4,088 battles

US would probably be a safe bet

I basically have a Fletcher and Benson class already in PA DDs and found the agility and gun handling to make them fun ships but with USN ones I get more options for torps

[WORX]
Members
12,549 posts
19,756 battles

Torp DDs dont exist as they been in the past before

• Torp nerf
  • Torp detection nerf
  • Over reach of hydro
  • Flooding nerf
  • Planes,

If I were you, if you want to torp at high tiers... Then, the Benham is the goal..

If you want to stay at tier 7 and below... Then

• Fubki
  • Isokaze
  • Fujin

As of current patch... Torp DD or torps in general are the most discriminated ordnance in the game.

Edited by Navalpride33

[BB-57]
Members
392 posts
15,029 battles
5 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:
  • Fujin

Ah... the Kamikaze sisters, my go-to for DD missions. Followed closely by the US DD's, then the Russians, then Pan-Asia.

[NSEW]
Members
463 posts
4,088 battles

Benham is one of those ships I hope to get from a crate hopefully along with say Black or Smaland

Why Japanese though? I don't see them being to terribly good at their job

The guns are vestigial on the torp line and the maneuvering on both seems pedestrian the torpedo detection range and reaction time seems poor as well

The lines seem over rated honestly

Through my encounters I've not found the torp power they poses to be in anyway menacing compared to say Loyang and Benham

Edited by TaxDollarsAtWork

[NG-NL]
Members
382 posts
10,347 battles

For primarily torpedoes, the IJN Shimakaze line is still strong.

Have you considered the RN? I play more as a gunboat, but I fell in love with the flexibility that the single-fire torpedoes offer.
Last night, I sent 2 narrow Halland spreads into a BB that was dug in, bow-tanking next to an island. That gave him the giddy-up and only 1 torp hit. With a British DD, I could have sent a whole line of ants right into his bow.
And you know how you can throw one set of torpedoes to nudge your target into making a Poor Life Choice, then wreck them with your second set? With single-fire, you can send just 1 or 2 torpedoes and unload the other 8 for damage.

[PSA]
Members
5,116 posts
3,732 battles

US DDs are solid jack of all trade ships with strong torpedo power, good guns, and access to DFAA to tickle planes while they drop you. But their super long lasting smokes are torpedo magnets and these ships have no way to spot torps until they are crawling up their pipes.

UK DDs are more fun. Like way more fun. And certainly better for spotting torps. But their AA is limited to a group of small children tossing plush toys into the air. They are also more sturdy than US DDs due to higher health pool and high tiers as well as access to Repair Party, although not as strong as on EU DDs. They are also unique among destroyers in that their base acceleration and agility is craaaazy despite having a low top speed. They don't have access to speed boost because they really don't need it.

Play US DD if you want to offer solid team support. Play UK DDs if you want a spastic play style where you're constantly flitting around the place. I personally prefer the latter. My heart is constantly pounding when I'm playing them which, in my opinion, is the best reason to play DD.

As for German DDs ... they are highly reliant on their consumables. They are also countered hard by radar and plane spotting. But if you're in a position where you can rush an enemy DD with Hydro and there's no radar or planes to spot you back, they are monsters! Z-52 especially as her Hydro has the same range as her concealment. So basically nothing outspots you as long as your Hydro is on.

[SALVO]
Members
26,059 posts
28,849 battles

I don't think of the UK DD line as a torp DD line.  Their torps are too short ranged, IMO, for their DDs to be considered proper torpedo boats.  To me, they're really gunboats with decent torpedoes for defensive purposes.  OTOH, the USN DD line truly becomes a torp boat line starting at around tier 8 where the DDs' concealments get pretty good and the torp range also gets pretty decent, not to mention their guns, while not as good as the UK DDs' guns, are more than capable of self-defense.

[UN1]
Members
1,331 posts
4,166 battles
23 hours ago, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

I'm currently looking for new Torp lines to grind and would like something similar to the ones I already have and enjoy being the Pan Asian and European line.

I'm looking for adaptable utility ships with decent to good torp power I was contemplating UK DD or US DD lines next,

German DDs do strike me as peculiar mostly because of the potential of offensive hydro though talk of them being power crept means I'm not that enthused by the line at the moment

Just a head's up, UK DD's are not torp boats.  They're straight up gunboat focused cap contesters.  Their torpedoes do feel pretty good at T6 once upgraded, but they pretty much stay the same throughout your journey to T10 aside from some slight differences in speed, reload, and range.  On the other hand, USA DD's do receive objectively better torpedoes as you level, and then get really good with the Fletcher.  That said, I wouldn't really call US DD's a torpedo line though.

Japanese DD's (Shimakaze line) are a true torpedo focused line.  

[ALL41]
[ALL41]
Members
38 posts
9,916 battles
On 11/24/2020 at 2:31 AM, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

Fletcher is versatile enough for a torpedo build, but Gearing is even more so.  My Gearing build boasts an 89 second torpedo reload, a torp speed of 74 knots, and a torpedo range of 13.2 km for its twin 5-torpedo mounts. With a gun reload of 3 seconds, I have found it to be a strong torpedo boat that can defend itself from other DDs in a pinch.

[GOCRY]
Members
697 posts

I just saw your thread on smoke, and given that info, I’d recommend the UK DDs.  Their smoke is good for when a CV flies too close, but they don’t last real long.  Seems like that would match your preferred play style better than the US DDs, which are known for sitting in their long smokes, farming fires.

Sign in to follow this