You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
weiwaynezhang

how to approach cap without DD when enemy have DD at start of game?

19 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
2,995 posts
6,995 battles
6 minutes ago, weiwaynezhang said:

should you just not go as cruiser or BB?

You never simply leave the cap area you spawn at. 

- You should try to approach the cap to the same distance you would with a DD. Just be ready to kite out and retreat slowly.  On the Defense you will have a natural advantage. 

-  If you get spotted keep moving and slowly kite out.  To Avoid incoming torpedoes. 

At some point the enemy will start launching torps at you or ally and you can start working out where he is.

Also his allies will start shooting and making themselves visible .  Shoot at them as per usual.   

Also keep an eye out for fast ships with captains that overextend ( more likely to happen in your scenario)

Edited by eviltane

[2020]
Members
155 posts
3,999 battles
1 minute ago, eviltane said:

You never simply leave the cap area you spawn at. 

- You should try to approach the cap to the same distance you would with a DD. Just be ready to kite out and retreat slowly.  On the Defense you will have a natural advantage. 

-  If you get spotted keep moving and slowly kite out.  To Avoid incoming torpedoes. 

At some point the enemy will start launching torps at you or ally and you can start working out where he is.

Also his allies will start shooting and making themselves visible .  Shoot at them as per usual.   

Also keep an eye out for fast ships with captains that overextend ( more likely to happen in your scenario)

if you DD leave in front of you, should you just leave too?

[SALVO]
Members
6,624 posts
5,231 battles
21 minutes ago, weiwaynezhang said:

The best move usually is to try to contest the cap or at least stall the enemy on that flank. Many cruisers are perfectly able to sneak near a cap using island cover, then try to ambush and nuke the enemy DD, be patient and usually the enemy DD gets reckless and gets spotted, giving you a good chance to spring your trap and hurt it, then probably you'll want to kite away back to safe distance, or crawl back to island cover.

[SALVO]
Members
2,995 posts
6,995 battles
21 minutes ago, weiwaynezhang said:

if you DD leave in front of you, should you just leave too?

No you should never leave your flank . If one guy leaves then it only gets worse when another guy leaves.  

Same rules apply as if you never had a DD in the first place. 

[2020]
Members
155 posts
3,999 battles
14 minutes ago, eviltane said:

No you should never leave your flank . If one guy leaves then it only gets worse when another guy leaves.  

Same rules apply as if you never had a DD in the first place. 

if I don't leave and approach cap, I can't see the DD and suddenly I got 5 aiming at me

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
2,995 posts
6,995 battles
Just now, weiwaynezhang said:

if I don't leave and approach cap, I can't see the DD and suddenly I got 5 aiming at me

If you want me to write that its OK to leave the cap you will not read it. Read what I told you to do in the first reply.   I did not tell you to go far.   If you leave you contribute nothing to your team, you just make things worse. 

• Cool 2
  • Meh 2

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator
3,330 posts
16,913 battles
15 minutes ago, arch4random said:

you send the radar ships in to give you eyes

Ninja's

:cap_like:

actually you can also contest cap with enemy dd, by NOT going straight line and constant speed in. You need to try every tricks you can think about in changing your direction/speed/heading to confuse the dd/dodge incoming wall of skills.

1 hour ago, weiwaynezhang said:

Skills where experiences players still struggle to understand and be a "derp" from time to time.

[LOU1]
Members
4,248 posts
12,680 battles

Cruisers, especially light, make good DD hunters depending on the tier.  Most BBs should probably not get to close to the cap when they do not know how many and what type ships are there already.  As other posters have said, it is never good to just leave a cap abandoned if you start the battle near one.

• Cool 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,289 posts
19,196 battles
1 hour ago, weiwaynezhang said:

Lots of things you can do depending on map and force make up.  A few examples below:

1. Use terrain.  it's not just for DDs.  A cruiser can often counter balance a cap agaisnt a DD if terrain can shield the cruiser.

2. Play the spot overlap game.  If you have better CA concealment than enemy CAs, overlap your spot ring for 3/4 of the cap.  If cap begins the flip...there's the enemy DD.  Then decide to either push in and engage or kite away.

3.  Playing a brawler line (e.g., Biz), lead a push force.

You can't just decide to do something without factoring in everything.  Take in the entire situation, then make your move.   

[TIMT]
Members
1,265 posts
4,761 battles
4 hours ago, weiwaynezhang said:

The idea is to delay the reds from first taking the cap, and after that proceeding to capitalize on it.

Think about this: Classical three cap scenario with A, B, and C. Your team (for whatever stupid reasons) does the "A,B" call and ignores C, leaving it for the reds to take without any opposition. Reds will approach C carefully, then notice nobody is there and rush through. By minute 8 into the game you have red ships on your side of the "cap line" flanking you while you are still busy cleaning maybe a single cap, if lucky two. You are caught in a crossfire and unless you annihilated the reds on A, you are now doomed.

So, what should you (and your team) have done at C? Go there, DONT RUSH IN. Keep an eye on it, try to spot first. Yes, in some BBs this means getting shot at. The trick is to turn around before that happens, go in reverse if necessary. When the reds push, you try to delay them as much as possible. If you are low health, try to go dark, heal, and when they have turned their guns strike again. Your role is to prevent the reds from capitalizing on the crossfire by forcing them to deal with you first.

It is really just a race: your pushing flank vs their kiting flank, in competition with your kiting force and their pushing flank. The hard part is to figure out when it is time to shine and push, and when you are only there to sell your life at the highest possible cost to the reds.

Someone explained it better than me here:

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,148 posts
6 hours ago, weiwaynezhang said:

I believe that having imbalanced teams is a thing of the past. Ship types are now matched for each team.

You don't want to be the cruiser or battleship that is seen first out in front so as to get focus fired. However, there's nothing saying that a section of the tea as a whole can't go in and contest a cap. Too many players are afraid of DDs. If I see a lone DD stealth into a cap and then keep a half-dozen of the enemy at bay I can pretty much tell who is going to win that match. With the new torpedo skills and hydro there's little excuse not to push a cap held by a single DD. 

[PVE]
Members
7,570 posts
23,591 battles
55 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I believe that having imbalanced teams is a thing of the past. Ship types are now matched for each team.

Late at night you can end up being the only DD in queue in the 5 minute period before they have to drop you into a match...not that other DDs aren't on..but they all got sucked up into matches right before that queue time started.

Not common but it does happen to see a single DD in a match.

OP is probably referring to a scenario like that.

It even applies in 3 DD matches where your only DD spots 1 of their DDs on the other side of the map from you...then on your side of the map...until the other DD is spotted... don't know what's up on your end.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[BB-57]
Members
387 posts
15,014 battles

In a Cruiser it is your job to hunt and stomp red DD's, just be smart. Zig-zag peekaboo.

Normal BB, cover cap with He loaded, zig-zag change speed, wait, and blast what is spotted.

Secondary specked BB, Get in there and spot the little sucker and let your secondaries melt them, just be smart, zig-zag change speed repeat.

Your mileage may vary.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,958 posts
9,887 battles
10 hours ago, weiwaynezhang said:

Then don't do it.

Regardless of what you should and shouldn't do, if doing something puts you in a situation where you believe all you can do is die horribly and uselessly, don't do it.

I typically "stay in my lane", but if doing so just means I'll get sucked into an engagement that involves 2 groups of static rock-huggers, I can't be bothered. I'll go somewhere else, and maybe work my way back and try to flank. But I don't do trench warfare.

[TORCH]
Members
697 posts
17,759 battles

From a cruiser player's perspective, the problem here isn't so much the enemy DD.  It's the BBs behind him.  If it was just a DD over there, I'd charge in and eat him for lunch.  But a DD backed up by BBs and cruisers is a horse of a far different color.  You will have to be cautious.  Be prepared for those torps, yes, but also watch like a hawk for the enemy BBs.  And remember, when you first see the BB, its because of his gun bloom.  In other words, he just fired - probably at you.  So your very first reaction must involve the WASD keys.  Once you've done that, THEN worry about aiming and shooting back.

This is definitely not an easy situation.  Depending on the composition of the enemy, and what friendlies are nearby, it may not really be a case of how to approach the cap, but rather how to kite away, causing the most damage and delay possible to the enemy, while preserving your ship for as long as possible.  Sometimes, if you stay alive long enough, some enemy ships will overextend, allowing you to engage them individually on more favorable terms.  It's all going to depend on the evolving circumstances.  Just play cautiously at the beginning, and try to stay alive so you can take advantage of those circumstances as they evolve.

[RIRDS]
Members
46 posts
16,346 battles

A lot depends on the Tier of play.  I’ve gotten plenty of caps in solo battleships at low to mid Tiers where aggressive play is viable.  I’m of the opinion one should never leave a cap uncontested, no matter what ship you are playing.