You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheBishop

does shooting at higher tier ships gain more XP etc?

14 comments in this topic

[BONKS]
Members
244 posts
9,619 battles

Yup, shooting at a higher tier ships nets you approx 20% more exp than a same tier ship.

Members
3,921 posts
43,352 battles

Shooting at the ship in the vicinity, that is the zone typically known to generate potential damage. If you hit the high tier ship even better. It is obviously scaled based on pen AP, HE.  Torpedo hits and near misses count too.

Fires, incapacitations, permanent damage, and finally getting fired back by high tier ships.

Of course, this hinges on you actually surviving the return fire.

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator
3,319 posts
16,861 battles
2 hours ago, ShotaBonk said:

Yup, shooting at a higher tier ships nets you approx 20% more exp than a same tier ship.

NO it NOT

you have to hit to get the dam calculated like STINKWEED_ said 

2 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

but hitting them does

:cap_like:

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,427 posts
22,575 battles
2 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

No , but hitting them does

If I could stop laughing, I'd send you to your room...

• Funny 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,436 posts
13,111 battles

XP is based on percentage of a targets health done in damage, modified by relative tier, and a few other things.

If you're higher tier than your target, you make less XP, if you're lower tier than your target you'll make more.

So, farming damage on a battleship that's two tiers under you will not net you much, where's taking all the hit points of a DD that's two tiers above you will be very rewarding

[REVY]
Members
8,236 posts
6,118 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

If you Dev Strike a ship two tiers above yours you really get the XP.

Can confirm, because of the unfavorable MM tier 5 gets, the Kamikaze R's base xp has a tendency to skyrocket when you start blowing up Tier VI and VII ships.  You'll leave everyone for dead on the chart.

WorldOfWarships 2018-06-13 17-06-07-65.jpg

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
7,555 posts
23,531 battles
7 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

No , but hitting them does

I LMAOed & +1ed you (I even +1ed @dEsTurbed1 for his "send you to your room" reply because I could share his inability to not be able to stop laughing)...& I'm not taking the +1 away...but you may be wrong about the "No" (IOW...i don't know for sure but I believe Steel may be right here):

7 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Shooting at the ship in the vicinity, that is the zone typically known to generate potential damage. If you hit the high tier ship even better. It is obviously scaled based on pen AP, HE.  Torpedo hits and near misses count too.

Fires, incapacitations, permanent damage, and finally getting fired back by high tier ships.

Of course, this hinges on you actually surviving the return fire. (I do believe any misses before the death blow get you XP also so dying may net you some...but the moment you die any other shells still in the air don't...although they may also from tick damage calculations...not surel

The wiki lists the "near misses" as .7km (700m) away from the target (wanna say .7km diameter but that is a perfect circle measurement & the wording doesn't imply that for a certainty on an ovalish object. IOW the area may be ovalish instead of circlish...or it may be circlish [& therefore much bigger on the sides] & the wording is misleading...not sure) for potential damage...

...& you definitely get XP for potential damage...

& after reading that I do believe Steel is correct (as stated there) that causing potential damage (even if all of your shots miss & not even an incapacitation...just by being w/in .7km) maybe be worth XP too. (If not it should be...rewarding not staying stealthy to help your team out & making yourself the potential meat shield tank target for others to earn potential damage off of...which is also rewarded by the fun it creates of course:Smile_izmena:)

As for the bold (oops...added more bold...meant just the 1 line of bold here)...I do believe it's full pen (citadel)......that may be what you mean Steel but just clarifying my beliefs for others.

Even if the round only scored a regular pen on you...the full citadel damage (AP or HE...& torps...torpedo protection lessens the damage but not the potential damage) is factored for potential damage (The last 2 paragraphs have been somebody else's hypothesis on the forums in another thread...I forget who but I do believe he was right also... I'm thinking maybe @GandalfTehGray ...was that you Gandalf?...or it may have been Steel).

I'm thinking that for the shooter there is a set percentage of XP for all of the potential damage & extra XP for actual hits & damage.

I'm wondering if full duration fires/floods count for potential damage even if they are DCed...that may be clarified in the wiki but I forget & ain't referencing the wiki for this...just remember the .7km. (-: see @iDuckman...I do use what I remember of the wiki from the forums...so it wasn't in vain...don't be sad w/me please [that ducky picture almost pulled a tear out of me...it was so sad] :-)

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 2

[--K--]
Supertester
1,438 posts
13,797 battles
1 hour ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Even if the round only scored a regular pen on you...the full citadel damage (AP or HE...& torps...torpedo protection lessens the damage but not the potential damage) is factored for potential damage (The last 2 paragraphs have been somebody else's hypothesis on the forums in another thread...I forget who but I do believe he was right also... I'm thinking maybe @GandalfTehGray ...was that you Gandalf?...or it may have been Steel).

I don't remember having this discussion, but I believe this statement to be correct. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,020 posts
20,689 battles

There is a 10% bonus for every tier difference higher than you and a 10% deduction for every tier lower than you.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 2