You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BoghieWanKanobie

NVIDIA GPU Configuration Settings

9 comments in this topic

Members
227 posts
1,196 battles

I have found the fan volume/noise on my EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SC Ultra rather unbearable. 

It has gotten to the point that I was searching the web on how to change the fan rpm, make it run cooler, detune it, etc...  It is very hard to find anything on 'underclocking' a GPU:Smile_veryhappy:

I would like to post a thank you to 'ThePurpleSmurf' on the EU forum for providing a solid answer - one that I had not thought of before.  I cannot post on the EU forum, so this is the best I can do.  Basically, what the Smurf recommended was using the 'NVidia Control Panel' | 'Manage 3D setting' and changing the following in a World of Warships 'Program Setting' profile:

1. Max Frame Rate:  60 FPS  (this has the added benefit of freeing the GPU to perform better image processing)
  2. Low Latency Mode:  Ultra (if you have a moderately decent CPU)
  3. and, Vertical Sync:  Off  (redundant, most don't have it turned on in-game)

Here is where those settings are configured:

NiTR10S.jpg

This has resulted in an 8 - 10 degree Celsius reduction in GPU temperature.  That reduction in temperature means that my fans are no longer running at 70%, but instead at about 55% peak.

Also, you can look at configuring your NVidia GPU so the fan changes it's rpms at different heat points.  To do this, you use 'Precision X1' which looks like the following when running World of Warships at the highest graphics settings for me:

5w7KX5w.jpg

Prior to using 'ThePurpleSmurfs' recommendation on limiting the FPS I was routinely running 73 - 75 degrees Celsius.  And, my fan was rolling at 70% of it's maximum RPMs - loud and kinda high pitched.  It is still a bit annoying at 54%, but passable.

Sorry about the large pictures, but if you drop by the thread I linked I believe you will find a picture is worth a thousand words.

Happy Hunting.

Note:  I actually won a game in the Jaguar after doing this.  Onward and Upward

• Cool 3

[VRR]
[VRR]
Members
1,265 posts

Use MSI afterburner the controls are on the main software. Easy peasy.works great and you can tune yourcard like a pro.

Evga is ok but MSI is just that much better software wise.

Edited by Versili
  • Meh 1

Supertester
4,164 posts
4,643 battles
Just now, Versili said:

Use MSI afterburner the controls are on the main software. Easy peasy.works great and you can tune yourcard like a pro.

Yeah MSI Afterburner is honestly a fantastic piece of software. Additionally OP, you should see if your GPU needs dusting.

• Cool 1

[NOVEL]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,930 battles
13 minutes ago, Noshiro_ said:

Yeah MSI Afterburner is honestly a fantastic piece of software. Additionally OP, you should see if your GPU needs dusting.

I agree with this. Until you have a excellent case with filters, you need to check for dust in the graphic card and CPU regular. 

A sign is, that something worked before without noise and suddenly your fan runs at max.  

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,430 posts
22,575 battles
5 hours ago, BoghieWanKanobie said:

I have found the fan volume/noise on my EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SC Ultra rather unbearable. 

It has gotten to the point that I was searching the web on how to change the fan rpm, make it run cooler, detune it, etc...  It is very hard to find anything on 'underclocking' a GPU:Smile_veryhappy:

I would like to post a thank you to 'ThePurpleSmurf' on the EU forum for providing a solid answer - one that I had not thought of before.  I cannot post on the EU forum, so this is the best I can do.  Basically, what the Smurf recommended was using the 'NVidia Control Panel' | 'Manage 3D setting' and changing the following in a World of Warships 'Program Setting' profile:

1. Max Frame Rate:  60 FPS  (this has the added benefit of freeing the GPU to perform better image processing)

NiTR10S.jpg

This has resulted in an 8 - 10 degree Celsius reduction in GPU temperature.  That reduction in temperature means that my fans are no longer running at 70%, but instead at about 55% peak.

Also, you can look at configuring your NVidia GPU so the fan changes it's rpms at different heat points.  To do this, you use 'Precision X1' which looks like the following when running World of Warships at the highest graphics settings for me:

5w7KX5w.jpg

Prior to using 'ThePurpleSmurfs' recommendation on limiting the FPS I was routinely running 73 - 75 degrees Celsius.  And, my fan was rolling at 70% of it's maximum RPMs - loud and kinda high pitched.  It is still a bit annoying at 54%, but passable.

Sorry about the large pictures, but if you drop by the thread I linked I believe you will find a picture is worth a thousand words.

Happy Hunting.

Steps 2 and 3 can be done in settings from WOWS i believe.

The other benifit to limiting your FPS is consistent aiming.

I used to limit my FPS to 60 because my monitor was a 60 hertz...

Now I have a full HD 75 refresh monitor,  I don't limit my FPS.

My NVIDIA built 1060 GTX 3 gb has no problem running running WOWS at ultra without causing my fans to go into overdrive.

16gb ddr4, I5 5400

Members
227 posts
1,196 battles

Thanks for the replies...

When I cracked the case to put a new case fan in I checked for dust.  It was extremely clean - considering I have the machine on the floor.  However, I did not crack open the GPU or use the forced air to blow out the GPU.  I may do that today or in the near future based on your advice.  I will probably crack the case today to move the Noctua fan I purchased from upper case exhaust to be the main front case inlet.  That seems to be the web consensus.  The Noctua fan has better airflow then the stock fans.  So, I will probably deal with blow dusting the GPU today.

I haven't seen an FPS limiter in the client software.  I may have missed it, or it may be labeled something different to be 'easier' for most people.  I know there is a configuration file that can be manually edited to allow different FPS numbers, but since my monitor only supports up to 60 the simplest way seems to be to use the card configuration software.  That way, I don't have to reset the configuration manually after WoWS patches.

Likewise, I don't think there is a client side software setting for 'Low Latency Mode'.  Maybe, but I don't see it.  Again, it could be labeled something 'easier'

My fans were whirring at 2400 RPM - about 70% of their maximum RPM while playing WoWS.  One nice thing about WoWS is that the graphics card works hard while in port.  It might work about 10% more in game, but you can play with your graphics and case cooling while a ship is just looking purty in port.  Under non-game load the GPU runs from 35 - 45 degrees Celsius with the fans either off or barely on (not noticeable at all), prior to limiting FPS to monitor spec the GPU was running about 70 degrees Celsius with the funs running at 70% RPMS under game load (loud with a bothersome pitch), now under FPS limited game load I get about 60 degrees Celsius and my fan run at 50% (fine, but the pitch is still a little annoying).

My research informs me that these cards run hot.  The default fan curve lets it run in the 70's.  So, the 70s should be ok.  Now, I can either use the extra processing and heat room to optimize the visual sharpening (per Smurf) or to run my fans a bit slower.  The fans present that pitch at the 50% of RPM level.  Also, moving the Noctua fan to inlet may cool the GPU enough to bring it down a bit.

Then again, since the pitch isn't bad I might leave well enough alone on the GPU.  There, that's the ticket.  Seems to be in sweet spot now...

Members
3,354 posts
17,302 battles
17 hours ago, BoghieWanKanobie said:

NiTR10S.jpg

5w7KX5w.jpg

Happy Hunting.

On mine the Max Frame Rate shows "Use global setting (Off). What does that mean?

image.png.4203236f807434887cfd7b9a7a140132.png

Members
227 posts
1,196 battles
1 hour ago, STINKWEED_ said:

On mine the Max Frame Rate shows "Use global setting (Off). What does that mean?

image.png.4203236f807434887cfd7b9a7a140132.png

It means that your graphics card is not limiting your FPS (Frames per Second).

My monitor is a normal one (60Hz)  - not a super gaming monitor.  It supports 60 FPS.  Some monitors support higher FPS - like 120Hz or 144Hz.  I guess the graphics will be smoother at the higher Hz/FPS, but for most of us the processing to generate the higher FPS is just wasted.

If you are running a 60Hz monitor (NVIDIA Control Panel | Display | Change Resolution - Refresh rate) than select the Max Frame Rate Setting and type in 60 (or use the slider bar)

[WG]
Administrator, Developers
1,787 posts
10,805 battles
On 11/23/2020 at 4:39 PM, BoghieWanKanobie said:

NiTR10S.jpg

5w7KX5w.jpg

Happy Hunting.

Thanks for sharing this!