You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Iron_Clad_5000

Yoshino, is she worth the coal?

47 comments in this topic

Members
172 posts
8,734 battles

Like many of you I have trying to decide which ship to purchase from the armory for coal. It is tempting to go for one of the BBs that are soon to be removed but I prefer a faster paced play style. With that said, what are your thoughts on the T10 Yoshino. It does not seem to come up much in discussion and I can't recall ever encountering it in game play. Sadly, I only have enough coal saved to purchase one ship so I would like to spend it wisely.

Thanks in advance, :Smile_coin:

• Cool 2

[UNNAT]
Members
12 posts
17,151 battles

if you like playing very far out max range, poor conceal gimmick torps thatusually just kill allies but guns hit hard and fires start good. Its pretty much a paper weight yamato hull that takes every shell in and makes you cry. def not a fast paced ship

win rates below show pretty bad performance 

image.thumb.png.d017c7ae5051889f992ff9f1f38397c2.png

Edited by zambidi

Banned
1,424 posts
6,083 battles

Depends on what you mean by faster paced

If getting killed quickly is faster paced, than Yoshino is a good call.

[DOG]
Members
1,244 posts
12,967 battles

It's a good ship.  It has reasonably accurate guns, and you can sling HE and get pretty consistent damage, even if you don't get any of those amazing alpha strikes.  The AP is decent too, but you'll find yourself using mostly HE.  It is not tanky, so you will need to stay at range and dodge.  If kiting and long range HE sniping is your thing, it's worth it.  If you like to get up close and personal and brawl it out, you might want to skip this one.

• Cool 2

Members
349 posts
7,066 battles

Its more or less a Zao on Steroids. Its got most of the pluses & all of the negatives of the Zao but its most significant detriment is size. She is big & not as nimble as the Zao but has basically the same armor.  Also she has 20km Shima torps that are nice for area denial but in practice are rarely useful. Like the IT CAs sling them into traffic lanes & giggle with the occasional hit. 

I have only a handful of matches in it because its playstyle (long range sniping) really isnt my thing. Still she is pretty & you can have some decent matches in it. 

Edited by MizzenMast

[INTEL]
Members
3,413 posts
18,872 battles

Contrary to what others have said, I don't usually have a problem staying alive unless I've screwed up.  Play at range and like pretty much any other ship, be aware of what threats are targeting you.  At range you can troll most battleship caliber shells with WASD.  Get caught by fast BB shells or something like a good Stalingrad player and it could be game over pretty quick.

Pros:

• High fire chance, low dispersion HE shells
  • Good dispersion for a cruiser means you often get multiple hits out of a salvo at max range.  Closer in and you get a lot of hits.
  • Spotter aircraft that allows you to reach out and touch those Yamato class BBs
  • Did I say she sets really nice fires on BBs?
  • LOL torps make you giggle when they hit an unsuspecting camper at 20km.  You do have to have a 6th sense on where your teammates may be several minutes in advance...

Cons:

• It's a support ship and as such it's a hard ship to carry a battle in without getting aggressive.  Do that at the wrong time and you die quickly
  • Very Large detection range
  • Poor handling but good enough at long ranges
  • She's a big target.  Skilled opponents aren't going to miss often.
Edited by ClassicLib
  • Cool 2

[FRR]
Members
847 posts
21 minutes ago, Iron_Clad_5000 said:

Like many of you I have trying to decide which ship to purchase from the armory for coal. It is tempting to go for one of the BBs that are soon to be removed but I prefer a faster paced play style. With that said, what are your thoughts on the T10 Yoshino. It does not seem to come up much in discussion and I can't recall ever encountering it in game play. Sadly, I only have enough coal saved to purchase one ship so I would like to spend it wisely.

I wanted her the moment I saw her on some random battle while she was still on test. She has her strengths and weaknesses, and I enjoy playing her in Co-op and Randoms.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
29,581 posts
25,666 battles

You can see how Yoshino's performance is going compared to the other Tier X Super Cruisers.  There's not many of them;  There's only 3 of the type in the tier.  Yoshino is more accessible between the 3.

Tier X Super Cruiser stats:  NA Server 3rd Quarter 2020.

Yoshino 110,649 Battles Played / 48.54% WR / 1559 XP Avg / 77,696 Dmg Avg / 42.12% Survival %

Stalingrad (Steel Ship) 92,199 / 55.99% / 1969 / 89,598 / 38.54%

Puerto Rico (Last year's Holiday Event Dockyard Ship;  First Dockyard Ship ever) 40,968 / 50.97% / 1689 / 66,239 / 33.87%

Yoshino will be fine as long as you play her at range, skirmishing.  She's accurate, her long range torpedoes are more suited for denying obvious zones.  You'll see videos of people still getting hits and kills with these torps despite the awful detection range.  Before firing these fish, do take into account possible actions of your team so as not to hit them with friendly fire. 

Yoshino is markedly different from Stalingrad and Puerto Rico in playstyle:  She isn't a Radar Cruiser.  Radar Cruisers to make use of their consumable have a dangerous style of play as it requires them getting into very dangerous short ranges to make use of it.  That's why you see the worse Survival % of Stalingrad and Puerto Rico despite them being better protected than Yoshino.  Even Puerto Rico with her great protection scheme has an abysmally low Survival %.  Friends with Stalingrad have long remarked her size and super squishy sides make her unforgiving.  Meanwhile, Yoshino like Zao and other IJN Cruiser players just keep dinking at range.  They know their Citadel protection is suspect and just stay out at distances where hopefully BB players struggle to hit more.

Yoshino isn't an oversized Zao.  Zao has something critical that Yoshino lacks:  Stealth.

A Stealth Build Zao is super sneaky at 9.9km surface detection range.  Super Cruisers are all easy to spot.  Yoshino with Stealth Build is 11.88km surface detection.  The ever-dangerous Battleship Thunderer with Stealth Build has 12.3km surface detection.

Understand Tier X is a brutal place.  Tier IX Azuma is worse than Tier X Yoshino, but Azuma does better statistically because of her tier while Yoshino lilterally sees Yamatos, Thunderers all day, 'errday.  Meanwhile Azuma gets to troll Tier VII every now and then.

IX Azuma 36,798 Battles Played / 51.65% WR / 1635 XP Avg / 76,532 Dmg Avg / 46.26% Survival %

Last Edit:  Eurobeat actually has a humorous, honest take on Yoshino for her strengths and weaknesses.  Emphasis that this is not a "Push Ship," most especially if you think you're going to do so against a Battleship.

And his totally awesome, handy dandy Yoshino Decision Tree:

z-5.jpg

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,295 posts
8,554 battles
3 hours ago, Iron_Clad_5000 said:

It is tempting to go for one of the BBs that are soon to be removed but I prefer a faster paced play style.

The Yoshino isn't bad, but in terms of play style, the Thunderer is basically just a far better version of the Yoshino with BB match making and greater versatility.  The Yoshino is worth picking up some day, but if you like the play style, get the Thunderer first.

*Also, the Georgia is one of (along with the Thunderer) the most over powered BBs in the entire game with an incredibly versatile, fast paced play style, so it's also definitely worth getting before the Yoshino.  Unless you're really attracted to the Yoshino for other reasons, you should definitely get the Thunderer or Georgia first, they're both better ships that probably will never return.

Edited by yashma

[SCK]
Members
169 posts
22,764 battles

I don’t own one, but have blapped plenty of them. There’s a couple in our clan and it’s about 50/50 on if they think it’s good or not. 

Regardless, the battleships being removed are light years better! Get the Thunderer if you don’t have it......period. Get the Georgia if you don’t have the Pommern, Musashi, or Jean Bart. Still, the Georgia is a lot of fun....even if you do have those ships. Get the Massachusetts if you don’t have the Tirp or the Oden. 

Members
349 posts
7,066 battles
17 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yoshino isn't an oversized Zao.  Zao has something critical that Yoshino lacks:  Stealth.

A Stealth Build Zao is super sneaky at 9.9km surface detection range.  Super Cruisers are all easy to spot.  Yoshino with Stealth Build is 11.88km surface detection.  The ever-dangerous Battleship Thunderer with Stealth Build has 12.3km surface detection.

I think you are understating the Yoshi's stealth. Of all the T10 CAs with stealth builds only the Zao, Mino, Goliath & Des Moines are more stealthy than the Yoshino. So is the Yoshi a stealthy ship? Well no, but she is better than most. 

[WOLF3]
Members
29,581 posts
25,666 battles
23 minutes ago, yashma said:

The Yoshino isn't bad, but in terms of play style, the Thunderer is basically just a far better version of the Yoshino with BB match making and greater versatility.  The Yoshino is worth picking up some day, but if you like the play style, get the Thunderer first.

*Also, the Georgia is one of (along with the Thunderer) the most over powered BBs in the entire game with an incredibly versatile, fast paced play style, so it's also defiantly worth getting before the Yoshino.  Unless you're really attracted to the Yoshino for other reasons, you should definitely get the Thunderer or Georgia first, they're both better ships that probably will never return.

Back when Thunderer and Ohio were still in their earlier phases of testing, I remember Ohio was considered OP by STs / CCs and Thunderer was a lot more meh.  Then very late in testing, WG basically swapped the gunnery between the two and that's what went Live.

Thunderer right now has Ohio's old OP Testing Gunnery, but with Conkeke's old 457mm shells.  She's very nasty business and her popularity sharply arose.  I remember following Thunderer stats for a little while and she wasn't that popular, despite me knowing how good of a ship she already was.  I looked at her numbers again after WG announced her getting pulled, and was floored by how popular she is across the servers.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,356 posts
13,559 battles

Honestly. You really don't have to spend that much coal to go pink.

• Haha 1

[DVYJC]
Members
3,809 posts
9,449 battles

You want Georgia. She is ridiculously fast, with her speed boost active, she can literally outrun some destroyers in her matchmaking range. She is also being removed. Yoshino can be fun, but does not appear in any danger of being removed. Thunderer I honestly find to be my favorite battleship. She can play fairly fast-paced because of her fast main battery reload. But Georgia is probably what you want.

[META_]
Members
1,667 posts
17,490 battles

I have a review on my YouTube channel Meta_man2002 Yoshino and Azuma . Yoshino is kinda like a tier 10 cruiser conqueror....lots of damage but hard to carry with because of squishy....she gets an extra heal but no radar.....really good AA though....check out the videos if you get a chance...good luck 

Edited by Meta_Man
  • Cool 1

[V_V_V]
Members
940 posts
16,800 battles

I prefer Georgia by far over Yoshino and Thunderer; I have all three.  With a 19-point captain, she does best in both Co-Op and Randoms for me.

Yoshino looks great and can be good for a change of pace.  I recommend that you read Little White Mouse's Premium Ship Review #127 before you decide.

shot-20.11.23_12.16.54-0538.jpg

Edited by Charon2018
add text

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,662 posts
21,583 battles

If you like long-range HE spamming and occasionally torping one of your teammates in the back, Yoshino is for you.

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,995 posts
17,020 battles

BACKGROUND: My play is co-op/Randoms with a very strong bias towards co-op and essentially no ranked or clan battles.

My coal ships in order of acquisition are Aigle, Salem, Jean Bart, Smolensk, Thunderer, Blyskawica, Georgia, Marblehead. 

The decisions I've found myself having to make are whether to get Salem or JB first (Salem won because I wanted a T10 ship for clan battles and T10 Ranked and I'd recently got Musashi so I couldn't justify a second T9 BB yet), do I get Georgia now? (no), do I get Georgia now? (no), HEY I HAVE ENOUGH COAL TO GET SMOLENSK ON DAY ONE!, Do I get Georgia or Thunderer? (Thunderer won), I have enough coal for Blyska, and finally in May or thereabouts, "Okay I have enough coal for Georgia now!"

Since then I've been sitting on my hands waiting for Neustrashimy and Flint to come back for coal, wondering if I should grab Marceau or Pommern with the coupon I've had since June if the ex-steel ships don't come back before the coupons roll over. (I could grab them both with the coal I have, but I have Odin, Bismarck and Scharnhorst so have no burning need for Pommern, and until recently I haven't got along well with French DD except Aigle.)

At no time have I ever been eager to grab either Yoshino or Okt Rev. If Yoshino had been a premium Zao with friendlier torp arcs, bearing the same relation to Zao as Atago does to 203 Mogami, it might have been an entirely different matter. 

My view is that if I am not absolutely clear what new and different thing a ship can do for me, I will not buy that ship. The only justification I would have for getting Yoshino is as a no-money premium for retraining IJN captains, but this falls foul of me already having Musashi from just before she was pulled and all four ARP Kongos plus ARP Myoko from the ARP reintroduction event early this year. I simply have no absolute requirement for her.

Consider all this in the context of your own fleet, which captains you'd put in her, which modes you'd play her in, and how she is known to perform there.

[WOLFG]
Members
670 posts
14,263 battles

I like my Yoshino. It's neat getting hits of 10k damage with HE sometimes, lol. Anyway, that said, you probably should get one of the ships leaving the armory because you might regret it later.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,277 posts

I consider the Yoshino a ship to be eliminated ASAP. It is a warship to be respected in the right hands. When I play as a DD main with Shima, Gearing or Z-52 coming across a Yoshie creates game problems that need to be addressed asap. IF it is played just so by the opponet. I consider it almost as a Zao with too much caffeine.

I myself am leaning towards the Georgia. I don't know yet if I will buy her outright cash or get thunderer etc. But considering what the Georgia offers if played like a overgrown destroyer you can do alot in a short time with her. At least until the mob of dogs run the fox to ground.

I have had mixed battles against humans lately in CB, Random and Coop.  And again thats one of the reasons I keep waiting for a good Ranked season to get started. Sometimes you get to sink something and sometimes you are summarily deleted just for showing up. You cannot win them all. But would i buy the Yos? ERM... I'll have to sleep on that. Its rather big to be thrown around like a fast DD.

Members
479 posts
2,867 battles

I like my Yoshino. I will note that it can be hard to get xp in her. You're so far back that you have to get 100% of your xp through damage. And hitting DDs and fast cruisers is tough from range, so you end up farming a lot of BBs for low xp rewards. From the rear line, you aren't able to do other xp-generating stuff like capping, spotting, etc.

Members
172 posts
8,734 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You can see how Yoshino's performance is going compared to the other Tier X Super Cruisers.  There's not many of them;  There's only 3 of the type in the tier.  Yoshino is more accessible between the 3.

Tier X Super Cruiser stats:  NA Server 3rd Quarter 2020.

Yoshino 110,649 Battles Played / 48.54% WR / 1559 XP Avg / 77,696 Dmg Avg / 42.12% Survival %

Stalingrad (Steel Ship) 92,199 / 55.99% / 1969 / 89,598 / 38.54%

Puerto Rico (Last year's Holiday Event Dockyard Ship;  First Dockyard Ship ever) 40,968 / 50.97% / 1689 / 66,239 / 33.87%

Yoshino will be fine as long as you play her at range, skirmishing.  She's accurate, her long range torpedoes are more suited for denying obvious zones.  You'll see videos of people still getting hits and kills with these torps despite the awful detection range.  Before firing these fish, do take into account possible actions of your team so as not to hit them with friendly fire. 

Yoshino is markedly different from Stalingrad and Puerto Rico in playstyle:  She isn't a Radar Cruiser.  Radar Cruisers to make use of their consumable have a dangerous style of play as it requires them getting into very dangerous short ranges to make use of it.  That's why you see the worse Survival % of Stalingrad and Puerto Rico despite them being better protected than Yoshino.  Even Puerto Rico with her great protection scheme has an abysmally low Survival %.  Friends with Stalingrad have long remarked her size and super squishy sides make her unforgiving.  Meanwhile, Yoshino like Zao and other IJN Cruiser players just keep dinking at range.  They know their Citadel protection is suspect and just stay out at distances where hopefully BB players struggle to hit more.

Understand Tier X is a brutal place.  Tier IX Azuma is worse than Tier X Yoshino, but Azuma does better statistically because of her tier while Yoshino lilterally sees Yamatos, Thunderers all day, 'errday.  Meanwhile Azuma gets to troll Tier VII every now and then.

IX Azuma 36,798 Battles Played / 51.65% WR / 1635 XP Avg / 76,532 Dmg Avg / 46.26% Survival %

Last Edit:  Eurobeat actually has a humorous, honest take on Yoshino for her strengths and weaknesses.  Emphasis that this is not a "Push Ship," most especially if you think you're going to do so against a Battleship.

And his totally awesome, handy dandy Yoshino Decision Tree:

z-5.jpg

Probably one of the more entertaining vids I have seen recently. Thanks!

[PAK]
Members
123 posts
34,088 battles
4 hours ago, Iron_Clad_5000 said:

image.thumb.png.2b82116204cff6785dc1ed4acb831590.png

She has 305 mm guns. Great accurate fire starter. Never show broadside to get torps off or you will eat citadels...

Great choice.