Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WanderingGhost

Obtaining Oklahoma - How these things should be.

13 comments in this topic

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,202 posts
12,101 battles

Allow me to get this out of the way as the title may not be the clearest - this is actually not a rant against the event to get Oklahoma, other than there should have been enough crates in missions to ensure getting it if RNG gave you the finger and not require daily login cause sometimes things go wrong and you cant or don't.

More that events like this, the Dockyard events, etc - THIS is how they should be. That if you play a ship around the same tier as the reward one (in this case 4-6, in the case of PR 9-10) for a couple hours a days during the course of the event - you get the ship. Not 12 hours a day for a month+, not 8 hours a day and 30+ dollars, not 6 hours a day in tier 9 and 10 with your absolute A-game basically setting personal records in the ships you do best in for a tier 4-6 ship - A couple hours every day if your already at that tier, if you have something under that tier that the missions apply to then yeah - maybe you have to put in closer to 5+ hours a day, every day of the event, and your fine. 

Because this is the first event in years that I can remember - I could use ships of the same tier, and still just knock it out as I go, in fact while knocking it out - I knocked out some of the Epoch missions which included ships I needed to grind XP on, I was able to do grinding on Colorado (seeing as the issues that prevented me from getting daily containers just barely cost me Kansas before that - which was also a fairly good set considering but maybe a bit much for a tech tree ship). I didn't have to play specific ships, I didn't have to play the best ones I have, I didn't have to play the boring as hell meta - I could just play with a focus on the missions objectives when they weren't overly general (like do damage). For the first time in a long time doing one of these mission chains for a ship or the like - I actually had fun and don't feel burned out trying to do it. For a tier 5 ship - the challenges were FAIR, which is more than I can say for a lot of these types of things you've done. Because I don't have a problem with a challenge - I just want a fair one, preferably without me having to treat the game like a full time job. 

But that's me - I like my events that even if they can be a bit of a grind at times cause MM won't give you games where capturing or getting base defense is easy let alone normally happens - they don't FEEL like a grind.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
381 posts
3,236 battles
36 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

Allow me to get this out of the way as the title may not be the clearest - this is actually not a rant against the event to get Oklahoma, other than there should have been enough crates in missions to ensure getting it if RNG gave you the finger and not require daily login cause sometimes things go wrong and you cant or don't.

More that events like this, the Dockyard events, etc - THIS is how they should be. That if you play a ship around the same tier as the reward one (in this case 4-6, in the case of PR 9-10) for a couple hours a days during the course of the event - you get the ship. Not 12 hours a day for a month+, not 8 hours a day and 30+ dollars, not 6 hours a day in tier 9 and 10 with your absolute A-game basically setting personal records in the ships you do best in for a tier 4-6 ship - A couple hours every day if your already at that tier, if you have something under that tier that the missions apply to then yeah - maybe you have to put in closer to 5+ hours a day, every day of the event, and your fine. 

Because this is the first event in years that I can remember - I could use ships of the same tier, and still just knock it out as I go, in fact while knocking it out - I knocked out some of the Epoch missions which included ships I needed to grind XP on, I was able to do grinding on Colorado (seeing as the issues that prevented me from getting daily containers just barely cost me Kansas before that - which was also a fairly good set considering but maybe a bit much for a tech tree ship). I didn't have to play specific ships, I didn't have to play the best ones I have, I didn't have to play the boring as hell meta - I could just play with a focus on the missions objectives when they weren't overly general (like do damage). For the first time in a long time doing one of these mission chains for a ship or the like - I actually had fun and don't feel burned out trying to do it. For a tier 5 ship - the challenges were FAIR, which is more than I can say for a lot of these types of things you've done. Because I don't have a problem with a challenge - I just want a fair one, preferably without me having to treat the game like a full time job. 

But that's me - I like my events that even if they can be a bit of a grind at times cause MM won't give you games where capturing or getting base defense is easy let alone normally happens - they don't FEEL like a grind.

Well said.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,995 posts
17,020 battles
40 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

there should have been enough crates in missions to ensure getting it if RNG gave you the finger

You would have got her eventually when the crates came into the armory for coal next year. RNG would have to bite it at that stage.

[_BDA_]
Members
487 posts
7,527 battles

There were easily enough crates, I made it with duplicates to spare.  In addition, the Big Hunt event contributed not only to the first 3 daily objectives but also to many of the Oklahoma mission requirements.

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,893 battles
10 minutes ago, michael_zahnle said:

There were easily enough crates, I made it with duplicates to spare.  In addition, the Big Hunt event contributed not only to the first 3 daily objectives but also to many of the Oklahoma mission requirements.

For randoms and those who RNG smiled on maybe.

For those like myself who play COOP it required being very lucky with the drops. I got mine only because i purchased some of the premium boxes(I wanted the coal). Had i not done that i would have ended up waiting till the boxes got added to the armory later on.

Edited by Princess_Daystar
  • Sad 1

[ARGSY]
Members
22,995 posts
17,020 battles
1 hour ago, Princess_Daystar said:

FWIW I do play Randoms, but I'm not the sort of person who can RELIABLY get enough BXP to finish those Twitch missions and get the few containers they offer.

I was very surprised to find myself, sometime last week, with thirteen originals and twelve duplicates after a heavy run of dups at the start. I don't NEED any of the crates from this week. 

16 minutes ago, Patosentado said:

I mostly agree, but I struggle to get the spotting damage mission, if there are CVs is really difficult to spot anything.

Grind up to ONE Tier 6 CV and use it exclusively for spotting ribbons and aerial torp hits etc., in co-op.

Alternatively, in Randoms or with a human CV in co-op, ask the CV to stay away from your side of the map - and remember that it's SPOTTING RIBBONS, not FIRST TO SPOT (as it has been in some missions in the past). In a random battle that goes on for any length of time, there's no guarantee that the CV will always be in your area seeing what you see. 

I appreciate the difficulty, though. I farm all my ribbons at the start of such tasks with a carrier to get it out of the way and then put the CV away for a while unless it's absolutely unavoidable.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[PHD]
Members
208 posts
13,943 battles
1 hour ago, michael_zahnle said:

I finished the Oklahoma mission today playing just Key Battles.

And I finished off the Big Hunt mission and collected the two SCs.

And it turns out damage from Key Battles also counts toward Naval Battle Preparation, so I contributed the full 1.38M max.

[LEHR]
Members
37 posts
3,456 battles

I play CoOp as a Break from Playing Random Pub's in Tanks....    This is my Escape from all that [edited], and I can actually say, I DID Manage to get the Oklahoma and for what it's Worth, in the Couple Battles I've had in it I'm kinda liking it....    And that Blue Camo Scheme does look pretty Cool too...

I DID have to get my Butt outta the Kiddie Pool a Few Times, but nothing Major and I did actually have a few Good Games in the Long Run...   It's something I've been meaning to do anyway on Occasion since the Earning Potential is there more than in CoOp anyway....        I just stay mainly in CoOp for the Break...

I Played a Variety of Ships from Tier 5 on Up to my Alaska and playing for the Oklahoma also got me the Nelsen too to Complete the Twofer...     Mainly stayed in my Grinders for the 50% Games and my Paid For's for the Commander XP and Credits and really none of it Felt like Work, except the Occasional Game where I was Pushed Hard by the Bots or trying not to Embarrass myself in Pub's in my NY from the Bottom of the Tiering....      I think Tanks could Probably take a few examples from some of the things Ships does Differently to help Improve their Game as well, but there's some things Tanks needs REALLY not Mess with either....

So Yah, I Agree fully, this was a Right Way to Grind a Freemium...     But I don't think Ships like the Puerto Rico, Odin, and Anchorage were ever MEANT to be a Freemium and that's why they Raised the Bar so High AND expected some Cash to Change Hands in the End....          That's why I generally Play the Marathon's in Tanks for the Discount and NOT the Tank, you just don't get the Discount as an Option here....       Least ways, not that I've seen, but I'm not Playing Regularly enough here anyway to get those Ships either...

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,202 posts
12,101 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You would have got her eventually when the crates came into the armory for coal next year. RNG would have to bite it at that stage.

1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

FWIW I do play Randoms, but I'm not the sort of person who can RELIABLY get enough BXP to finish those Twitch missions and get the few containers they offer.

I was very surprised to find myself, sometime last week, with thirteen originals and twelve duplicates after a heavy run of dups at the start. I don't NEED any of the crates from this week. 

I've yet to manage to set anything up so I can get missions off twitch, however that works - so I only have the base mission ones it gives - And only because in the previous set did it award me the last brand new one do I know for fact duplicates or not I'll get the ship (haven't knocked out the last ones yet because doing other stuff). The three I think it was from daily sign in when it was up would have guaranteed it - but when I was looking at the math on stage 4 or 5 if I didn't get 2 non duplicates - I would have missed it. And assuming they did add them for coal in a year, as is I try not to use any because of trying to get ships because I don't get a ton of the stuff. As is I might just barely have enough to get Thunderer before the coupon resets and it leaves the shop a month or so later. Pretty sure that's the only coal ship I'll have obtained this year - though admittedly I've made less this year cause I've taken several extended breaks for various reasons. 

2 hours ago, Patosentado said:

I mostly agree, but I struggle to get the spotting damage mission, if there are CVs is really difficult to spot anything.

Honestly, I can't say I've had issues with spotting damage when it's a CV game - mostly because while they make getting spotting ribbons hard at times - they usually don't hang around something long enough to horde the damage for spotting it. That said, I also don't play very conservatively, CV or not, and rack up at times close to 100k spotting damage in battleships, let alone cruisers or DD's. But worst case scenario yeah, like Ensign_Cthulhu says, yeah, grind up a tier 6 CV and do it that way. Tier 8 matches will suck 9/10 times but same tier and certain comps even with tier 7 most ships lack real punishing AA or AA range. Assuming you don't have to do it in a DD anyway. 

1 hour ago, oldewolfe said:

But I don't think Ships like the Puerto Rico, Odin, and Anchorage were ever MEANT to be a Freemium and that's why they Raised the Bar so High AND expected some Cash to Change Hands in the End....

I will agree on Odin and Anchorage - as they were up front that yes - they would cost cash, we were working toward a discount - which I'm actually fine with albeit a slightly bigger one would have been nice. They did that with the UK DD premium and while I get they might not do the insane only cost 2 dollars discount again - it was one of the last ones that actually felt fair and reasonable, I didn't have to toil on it hours on end. Puerto Rico they hammered on 'You can get it for free' - and spun 5 different stories on how you could and all - so they don't get a pass on that one. But that once again comes back to the missions should be fair. Lets forget for a moment they have way over blown the price on tier 10 ships and even 9 compared to the others (realistically a 10 should top out at maybe 120 US). At my states minimum wage and we'll round it down to an even 7 - the 250-ish price tag of PR would take we'll call it 36 hours of work. So 1 week of full time work would have more than paid for it. People were putting in 8+ hour days for what, 4-6 weeks, if not more, 7 days a week in cases to try and get it. Not factoring in the overtime people would earn at that point - working a real job the same number of hours would have net them 1,568 dollars - enough to buy it and do so for 4-5 friends as well, with cash to spare, in just the 4 week window. And while I get that in the Us minimum wage isn't consistent, let alone globally - there's a point someone besides basically the entire player base should have gone 'guys, this is insane' - especially when you consider they were pretty rough to even get the tier 7 which they then tried to say 'oh, well, that's the one we actually want everyone to get'. 

I may try rewording the main post - but my point was really more in that it should not be putting in a ridiculous number of hours - way more than an actual job would get you the ship because it's pretty bad when 2 dollars an hour would still get you more than enough for the ship with change - and THEN have to pay more money at the end, or in PR's case, do so at the beginning. 10-15 hours a week needed for the average player, okay, 20-25 - I'd say your pushing around the max it should be because hey, people have lives and jobs, 30 your definitely starting to be unreasonable unless it's a one week event (and no Wargaming that is not a suggestion to start those) but if you have players putting in at times 56 hours a week or more and still not getting it - even when they are well above average - that's just not right. 

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
38,063 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Ditto. I got it last week. I haven't looked at tasks for this week, just dont care. 

Sucks that Okla is such a steaming pile. Could have been like Texas, a ton of fun....

• Boring 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,558 posts
5,892 battles
4 hours ago, michael_zahnle said:

For the most part, yes, but exceptionally bad RNG could still deny you the ship.  The question is how many standard deviations does WG need to reasonably account for.

4 hours ago, Princess_Daystar said:

For those like myself who play COOP it required being very lucky with the drops. I got mine only because i purchased some of the premium boxes(I wanted the coal). Had i not done that i would have ended up waiting till the boxes got added to the armory later on.

My first token was the 406mm triple turret.  So was my second token.  And so was my third token.  At that point I said to myself "Well, I guess I am not getting Oklahoma as I am surely not spending any money on it.

I had enough duplicates to finish the collection last week, before the final series of tasks was even unlocked.

I think that for most players (this one was very doable in co-op as most tasks were things like damage, spotted torpedoes and such) there were more than enough tokens to be had.  I don't feel like I got particularly lucky or unlucky overall.

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,893 battles
1 minute ago, Helstrem said:

For the most part, yes, but exceptionally bad RNG could still deny you the ship.  The question is how many standard deviations does WG need to reasonably account for.

My first token was the 406mm triple turret.  So was my second token.  And so was my third token.  At that point I said to myself "Well, I guess I am not getting Oklahoma as I am surely not spending any money on it.

I had enough duplicates to finish the collection last week, before the final series of tasks was even unlocked.

I think that for most players (this one was very doable in co-op as most tasks were things like damage, spotted torpedoes and such) there were more than enough tokens to be had.  I don't feel like I got particularly lucky or unlucky overall.

The missions where easy. The RNG is what got me. Without the containers id purchased i wouldnt have gotten it unless every single container from this week dropped a unique collection item. Thankfully i wanted bought them for coal over the ship and i walked out with enough to also get my Thunderer on saturday.

Sign in to follow this