You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Weekend Spree 20-22 Nov 2020.

39 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
23,058 posts
17,048 battles

Did Naval Battles, made some vids, streamed a bit. 

Decided to advance the Le Fantasque by 5000 per day; currently at 125K. At this rate, will hit 150K by Friday night and then it will be time to throw on all the flags and go to Randoms for the sprint to the finish.

I had a suspicion when I first got her that only at the end would I understand how to drive her in co-op, and I'm turning out to be right.

Kansas plods her slowish way along; by slow increments, she is somehow at 80,000 XP. Right now I'm closer to the Minnesota than to the Iowa, despite having had the North Carolina since last Christmas. Part of that is that the Kansas is an early unlock so I didn't have to research any hulls or fire control; if I'd got North Carolina on that basis (i.e. from an Ovechkin event crate), I'd be a lot closer to her successor. The rest is that there've been so many other interesting things for me to do this year that it had me distracted.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[KWF]
Members
5,623 posts
6,924 battles

Gotten into my second month of absence from the game; been working through my backlog of games since again on lockdown, while keeping myself informed with how WoWs is going.  Should return by December to get Snowflakes, maybe work on Strasbourg, but overall I needed the break.

I know when burnout is creeping in and I got out just in time to get some appetite going on with WoWs again.

[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
613 posts
12,464 battles

Suffered through weekend M&M with probably 25% of the matches taking longer than 12 minutes.

Got to play in a Typhoon match in CBs for the first time.

Hoping for a 50% off sale on upgrades this week as I now have 8 boats without them.

Watched some guy with a funny accent steam for a bit. He's fairly entertaining, y'all should watch him sometime.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,282 posts
10,209 battles

Breached Typhoon with the clan for the first time; hope that meta doesn’t return. Leveled the Vaquelin; almost to Le Fantasque (probably just one game). Slowly grinding away Harugumo for reset in a few months. Kansas is on the back burner until the buff comes in. Other than that just relieved I can get a few months without CBs. Burnout is real haha.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,058 posts
17,048 battles
3 minutes ago, contag10n said:

Watched some guy with a funny accent stream for a bit. He's fairly entertaining, y'all should watch him sometime.

Now who on earth might that be?  :Smile_veryhappy:

4 minutes ago, contag10n said:

as I now have 8 boats without them

I went to take a look at my Aigle and realized that I've been getting 100K damage games in her in co-op without slots 2 and 3 filled. I can't remember if it's always been this way or if I pulled them off to put on something else during a free-demount period.

Just now, Usedcarjock said:

Kansas is on the back burner until the buff comes in.

My Kansas seemed to shoot better the moment they announced it, but I freely admit that this is probably confirmation bias.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,282 posts
10,209 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

My Kansas seemed to shoot better the moment they announced it, but I freely admit that this is probably confirmation bias.

Can’t speak from experience unfortunately. On a side note honestly I might not even bother grinding the Kansas to Minnesota if Vermont is a bomb. Jury is still out on that ship.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,208 posts
22,715 battles

I've come to the (sad?) realization this past weekend that I am now, mainly, a Coop player! I'm always focused on the missions and find they can be done quicker, and easier, in Coop than in Random. I also enjoy all but one of the Operations so I round out the day playing one or two rounds there. I haven't touched Random battles since the US BB campaign started.

I have to admit that the outcome in Random battles has become a crap shoot. Something just isn't right, nor fun, with that mode anymore...

[ARGSY]
Members
23,058 posts
17,048 battles
44 minutes ago, Khafni said:

I've come to the (sad?) realization this past weekend that I am now, mainly, a Coop player!

Don't feel sad. We play this game to have fun, and if a mode isn't fun for you there should be no pressure to play it.

I definitely prefer co-op, but I'm not yet ready to worship at Admiral Thunder's no-PVP altar. From time to time the Randoms mood takes me, sometimes intensely, but eventually burnout starts to set in and I know that's the time to come back to Co-op.

I found that on the opportunities when I can stream (as family and work allow), it's far easier to cope with cr*ppy teams and avoidable losses when I have a lively chat going. I could tell you my theory for why Randoms are so awful, but it would get very political very quickly.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,447 posts
10,842 battles

Spent more time chipping away at my Kansas grind and Cleveland regrind. Kansas is at about 185k, so I should have plenty of time to get the 200k I’m aiming for to ensure I don’t have to play her after she loses her “special” status. Being able to run my 19pt Iowa captain on her has proved very lucrative. I actually don’t find Kansas to be that bad of an experience and have had good success with her, but I suspect part of that is that everyone “knows” she’s terrible and don’t respect her 12 16” guns. There’s also the fact that players with poor situational awareness forget you are there when you disappear for 20s between salvos. :Smile_teethhappy:

Gave up on the Key Battles grind for the super containers. I just don’t find the mode enjoyable.

Also took my Musashi out for the first time in forever and had a 2500+ BXP game. I still find her gunnery a bit trolly, but I’ve also been playing a lot of Yamato to finish the UU grind.

Members
415 posts
15,477 battles

I played the Key Battles mode (thanks to @Nevermore135 for his post; too early this AM, I could not remember the name) most of the weekend and got all three ships to elite status (for what that's worth).  Have enough special tokens for the T8 camo; but will have to play a lot more to get the T9.  Pondering if it is worth my time.  I also bit the FXP bullet and bought the Smaland.  I figured another T10 ship in port is another container during the snowflake event(s), and I had 3+ million FXP and anticipate building it back up since I'm still on furlough (although I have some training to do that will eat significantly into my playing time).  Otherwise did a bunch of stuff in the real world instead of being on the computer.

Edited by chrisope
Got the name of the special mode (key battles)

[ARGSY]
Members
23,058 posts
17,048 battles
2 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Gave up on the Key Battles grind for the super containers. I just don’t find the mode enjoyable.

I stopped enjoying it when I started coming up against what were clearly sync-drop human-hunting divisions, probably on voice comms. Divving up before start is a thing the game mode was set up to discourage, as the ability to pre-select your team and match the ships to each other leads to practically invincible combinations of consumables. IMHO anyone who did/is doing this should be ground up and fed to the Lobster-eye creatures. 

I don't have a BB-specialized 19 pointer to put in the Kansas ATM and my US 19 pointer doesn't have fire prevention, which could make things interesting in Randoms. I've considered dropping everything to do a power-grind to the Minnesota so I can pull all the captains out of the Kansas before she goes live and only have to retrain the US Heavy Line captain once (from North Carolina to Minnesota).

With Key Battles out of the way (I have both permacamos, which is all I wanted out of it) and the Oklahoma already in my port (no, I didn't put any money into boxes), any other containers I get from the rest of this event are just gravy for the flags, camos and duplicate-item cash-ins. If I'm right, the next patch should drop next Wednesday, so that's nine playing days in which to amass ~100,000 XP. If I played the Kansas to the second crate every night between now and then, that should be more than enough. The other alternative is to plod along as I am doing, pull the fifteen-pointer on the eve of patch day, drop in the three-point captain the ship came with, and make do for a while. Co-op is forgiving in that respect.

[SYN]
Members
1,417 posts
10,925 battles
1 hour ago, Khafni said:

I've come to the (sad?) realization this past weekend that I am now, mainly, a Coop player! I'm always focused on the missions and find they can be done quicker, and easier, in Coop than in Random. I also enjoy all but one of the Operations so I round out the day playing one or two rounds there. I haven't touched Random battles since the US BB campaign started.

I have to admit that the outcome in Random battles has become a crap shoot. Something just isn't right, nor fun, with that mode anymore...

51 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Don't feel sad. We play this game to have fun, and if a mode isn't fun for you there should be no pressure to play it.

I definitely prefer co-op, but I'm not yet ready to worship at Admiral Thunder's no-PVP altar. From time to time the Randoms mood takes me, sometimes intensely, but eventually burnout starts to set in and I know that's the time to come back to Co-op.

I found that on the opportunities when I can stream (as family and work allow), it's far easier to cope with cr*ppy teams and avoidable losses when I have a lively chat going. I could tell you my theory for why Randoms are so awful, but it would get very political very quickly.

I play a lot of Coop in BB and CA/CL. I stink at those.  DD play in coop, I do for missions, but it is so one dimensional that I don't very much like it. 

Yes, it is a crapshoot, but it is enjoyable.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,058 posts
17,048 battles
5 minutes ago, Diison said:

Is that patch this week or next month?

I'm pretty sure we have a long patch this time around; five weeks instead of four.

Fire up the game, see how much time you have left to do the current directives. That will give you the tip. Usually they end on the Sunday evening before the patch, but this time they might be going all the way to the night before. The fact that the final directive to get crates for the Oklahoma collection STARTS today tells me it's next Wednesday.

[PAK]
Members
123 posts
34,161 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'm pretty sure we have a long patch this time around; five weeks instead of four.

Fire up the game, see how much time you have left to do the current directives. That will give you the tip. Usually they end on the Sunday evening before the patch, but this time they might be going all the way to the night before. The fact that the final directive to get crates for the Oklahoma collection STARTS today tells me it's next Wednesday.

Basically the snowflake event doesnt start until 2021 which means our Chirstmas vacation cant be used to grind out those snowflakes? UGH

[ARGSY]
Members
23,058 posts
17,048 battles
2 minutes ago, Diison said:

Basically the snowflake event doesnt start until 2021 which means our Chirstmas vacation cant be used to grind out those snowflakes? UGH

Blame the virus.

[INTEL]
Members
3,420 posts
18,914 battles
19 minutes ago, Diison said:

Is that patch this week or next month?

11 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The Combat chain for 4 Courageous containers goes to Wed Dec 2.  The US BB Directives go to Sun, Nov 30. 

So, it looks like a Wed Dec 2 patch date.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,058 posts
17,048 battles
5 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

The US BB Directives go to Sun, Nov 30. 

November 30 is a Monday this year, but of course that 30 November deadline ticks over in the wee small hours of Monday morning Pacific time, so "Sunday November 30" actually has a fairly large grain of truth in it! :Smile_trollface:

[PVE]
Members
5,020 posts
22,111 battles

Ah, had the BB event done well before Friday.  Naval Battles occupied Friday and the Daily event.  Sat and Sun were just daily's and not much more than that.  I have 25 missions in my Combat Missions folder and only two of them are PVE: the BB weekly and the Daily.  They rest are PVP so, there's not much to actually do in-game.   Scenarios are a bust since they were devalued.

That's OK, deer season is next week and I've gotten bored and put away my faithful, have never missed, 25-06; and, I'm trying something new from my Port: my M1A with Berger 175 VLD's.....  or, plan B, is my 300 Win Mag with 220 Silvertips (a might overkill but they are a lot slower than the Elk ammo that rifle normally eats.....)  Either one.  Depends on weather.  So, a lot of range time and reloading bench time (especially, the VLD's in my gas gun...).   

And, there is very little left in the game that has my attention anymore....  We could rename the game:  "World of Clones: Naval Battles".........as I sail in my Odin, which is the Tirpitz's cousin, which is the half sister of the Bismark, whom,was adopted by the Pom Pom family because they were gypsies and knew the Agir family was the real family line and name........or, do I have the Bismark and the Agir mixed up again.....  You get the idea.

[INTEL]
Members
3,420 posts
18,914 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

November 30 is a Monday this year, but of course that 30 November deadline ticks over in the wee small hours of Monday morning Pacific time, so "Sunday November 30" actually has a fairly large grain of truth in it! :Smile_trollface:

You didn't see how I combined the Finish Sunday night for the Monday morning cutoff  That's my story...

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
23,058 posts
17,048 battles
3 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

deer season...Berger 175 VLD's.

Isn't that a recipe for overpens? I thought VLDs were target-optimized with next to no expansion capability, and contraindicated for hunting. Like using US 12-inch super-heavy from Alaska against a broadside Emerald.

[PVE]
Members
5,020 posts
22,111 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Isn't that a recipe for overpens? I thought VLDs were target-optimized with next to no expansion capability, and contraindicated for hunting. Like using US 12-inch super-heavy from Alaska against a broadside Emerald.

Nope.  VLD's are secant HP's designed for immediate expansion.  Mine are running just a tad over 2550 fps (2575 with a var of 3 fps.) You Tube has some great videos.  They act like ballistic tips but produce a cylinder wound channel with several times the hydrostatic shock....  One step munitions.  And, very well designed for the Steppes of Kansas:...........minus grass stems, weed stems, branches of any tree, bushes or anything larger that spider silk.........even bad karma can cause them to fragment mid trajectory (flying bugs or birds>?  Saw that in a long distance match this summer !!!  POOF, a silver vapor cloud in the spotting scope and nothing on the paper 600 yards away>>>???  What was that???)........so, no negative waves.....eh?! 

[ARGSY]
Members
23,058 posts
17,048 battles
2 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

no negative waves.....eh?! 

By no means - you learn something new every day, and whatever our differences of opinion here, I'm more than happy to be corrected on an error of fact.