Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

Single Game Client

41 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

7,744
[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,494 posts
14,963 battles

We’re here to tell you about the single game client and the latest changes we've made to it.


Read it on the portal
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
68
[NINE]
Members
50 posts
5,466 battles

How many dev hours does it take to build a separate version of the game with slightly different events anyways? Just tell the regional subsidiaries to stop carving out content to sell separately, or deliberately reduce event rewards so people have to pay for nice things, and there's no problem with content differences.

It's not like you don't have to translate it anymore.

Actually no - as far as unifying content goes, this can only be a bad thing, reducing rewards for all servers down to what the greediest, stingiest region is willing to offer. I still remember that time WG EU decided to not give out Christmas permacamos for free through missions, and instead sold them. Now imagine there was no ability to have separate  regional client versions, and EU brought everyone down to that level.

Sure, it's also a valid argument that a single client would prevent the biggest cash grabs, i.e., other regions might have entirely vetoed EU's cash grab..... but do you really trust WG to consistently fall on the side of players?

Just look at the difference between the original ARP event (Free Atago clones for all) and the current one (WG will never sell T9s and 10s. BTW give us $140 for a Yamato).

Edited by isssm
  • Cool 7
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
90
[STW-A]
Members
271 posts
10 minutes ago, isssm said:

Way to piss off people who specifically go to a different region's servers. 

What?  How would having only 1 game client to play all 4 servers piss anyone off?  (And you still can have different copies of the same client for different servers, if you choose.)

And yes, the servers do have "slightly different events".  I believe the Christmas sale last year was around December 25th for NA, EU, and ASIA, but January 7th on the CIS.  Same sales but on 'slightly' different dates.

If you recall a few years ago, different servers had very different events, but there was a lot of 'server envy' -- why does the CIS have (premium ship) on sale when we do not?  or on the EU server: "why are the NA ARP ship missions so much easier than ours?"  Uniform missions, and premium shop offerings, was really desired by the majority of players across the servers.

That said, the NA server still has the unique 'bounty missions', such as the upcoming Great Turkey Shoot of 2020.  This mission requires extra time and dedication by the NA staff to operate, and has not been replicated on any of the other servers.

Good job NA staff!

  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
711
[MR-1]
Members
1,689 posts
21,925 battles

how can you call the game centre a single game client  when  the same game centre is now used  to play different wargaming   games .

we had a single game client  ie the loader   

an independent game loader for the NA  game and a independent  game loader  for the PTS  . 

since the game centre has been introduced  and forced upon us to use  because you took these independent loaders away   , players have suffered from game freezing  , unable to load into client  even  being disconnected more  

id rather have the old loaders back . i never once had any problems with the game till the game centre came 

 

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,373
[SALVO]
Members
26,047 posts
28,764 battles
1 hour ago, Seaman_Rookie said:

What?  How would having only 1 game client to play all 4 servers piss anyone off?  (And you still can have different copies of the same client for different servers, if you choose.)

And yes, the servers do have "slightly different events".  I believe the Christmas sale last year was around December 25th for NA, EU, and ASIA, but January 7th on the CIS.  Same sales but on 'slightly' different dates.

If you recall a few years ago, different servers had very different events, but there was a lot of 'server envy' -- why does the CIS have (premium ship) on sale when we do not?  or on the EU server: "why are the NA ARP ship missions so much easier than ours?"  Uniform missions, and premium shop offerings, was really desired by the majority of players across the servers.

That said, the NA server still has the unique 'bounty missions', such as the upcoming Great Turkey Shoot of 2020.  This mission requires extra time and dedication by the NA staff to operate, and has not been replicated on any of the other servers.

Good job NA staff!

For what it's worth, I think that Christmas is celebrated on a different date than the rest of the world.  Hence, the different date for the Christmas sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
371
[KMS]
Beta Testers
311 posts
17,804 battles

after rereading,

what it is saying that  the  programming for all clients and all servers will now be the same and the game center will know which regional server your account belongs,  no need to manually select the correct client . because they are the same. the benefit being you will not need twice the space on your computer if you play on more  than one region (separate accounts of course).

with one set of programing code  world wide, this should make getting rid of the game bugs easier

negative Impact on the . players  will be zero

for the guy who has euro and NA accounts, he will save some hard drive space and a log in step

 

Christmas - New years event- lets hope this change makes  the event longer. 

no reason this programing would level prices or events world wide,  just that  the programing code for each regions events would have to be in the total programing package  but still could be locked or unlocked (activated-turned on or off) by the client knowing which region the account belongs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,744
[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,494 posts
14,963 battles
2 hours ago, isssm said:

How many dev hours does it take to build a separate version of the game with slightly different events anyways? Just tell the regional subsidiaries to stop carving out content to sell separately, or deliberately reduce event rewards so people have to pay for nice things, and there's no problem with content differences.

It's not like you don't have to translate it anymore.

Actually no - as far as unifying content goes, this can only be a bad thing, reducing rewards for all servers down to what the greediest, stingiest region is willing to offer. I still remember that time WG EU decided to not give out Christmas permacamos for free through missions, and instead sold them. Now imagine there was no ability to have separate  regional client versions, and EU brought everyone down to that level.

Sure, it's also a valid argument that a single client would prevent the biggest cash grabs, i.e., other regions might have entirely vetoed EU's cash grab..... but do you really trust WG to consistently fall on the side of players?

Just look at the difference between the original ARP event (Free Atago clones for all) and the current one (WG will never sell T9s and 10s. BTW give us $140 for a Yamato).

Not really sure where you are coming from thinking this has ANYTHING to do with premium ships or the premium shop.

This is purely to focus development assets towards ONE client. Which means the content in patches etc is being standardized.

Individual servers can still do server centric activities as often (but not always) this has nothing to do with the premium shop specifically

This is a VERY good thing, because it means that our developers can just focus on one version of the client, it also frees disk space up for everyone as I know that some in the community have accounts on several servers and having several copies of the client takes up quite a bit of space.

-Hapa

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
46 posts
1,365 battles
27 minutes ago, OttoVonPrien said:

after rereading,

what it is saying that  the  programming for all clients and all servers will now be the same and the game center will know which regional server your account belongs,  no need to manually select the correct client . because they are the same. the benefit being you will not need twice the space on your computer if you play on more  than one region (separate accounts of course).

with one set of programing code  world wide, this should make getting rid of the game bugs easier

negative Impact on the . players  will be zero

for the guy who has euro and NA accounts, he will save some hard drive space and a log in step

 

Christmas - New years event- lets hope this change makes  the event longer. 

no reason this programing would level prices or events world wide,  just that  the programing code for each regions events would have to be in the total programing package  but still could be locked or unlocked (activated-turned on or off) by the client knowing which region the account belongs.

You overlooked something else.

This is most evident to the players who have left other servers to play on the RU server.

As those players know, the RU players had a habit of focusing/attacking players from other servers and destroying them.

This was usually done by the RU players on the same team (for the match) so the non-RU player has no chance of actually playing the match on the RU server.

Now (with all the matches on one server), the RU players can't do that.

It would be team-killing almost every match and they'd be barred pretty quickly from playing because habitual team-killing gets a player barred.

This pretty much goes against WG's bias for the RU server and RU players.

I think it actually helps all the other servers.

Maybe we should all think again about WG's pro-Russian/soviet bias...

Not yet, but it is a good sign.

Edited by BeDeep
clarifying on RU bias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,187
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,662 posts
21,559 battles
24 minutes ago, BeDeep said:

Now (with all the matches on one server), the RU players can't do that.

I think you're confusing "single client" with "single server". The regional server clusters will remain unchanged. All that's happening is that the player no longer needs to download separate copies of WoWS to connect to the different servers. And the dev team no longer has to maintain slightly different code between regions.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2
[CMFRT]
Beta Testers
7 posts
778 battles

And this matters to those of us who only have an _ACCOUNT_ on one server how much? not at all? (as I suspect?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
91
[SMI-1]
[SMI-1]
Members
354 posts
9,417 battles

I understand this as a fix for alot of problems with the multiple servers. But what happens to Clan Members that are in Europe and Asia that play with My Clan on the North American Server ?

Does this change for them or can they still be in our Clan ?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[SOLOH]
[SOLOH]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
260 posts
612 battles

I guess the question I have is, as someone who plays ASIA and NA servers under the same account details (everything but ships the same) is this going to be a problem for me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
91
[SMI-1]
[SMI-1]
Members
354 posts
9,417 battles

@BigWaveSurferGuess that is a good question, i have 2 members in my clan from down under, been in clan now almost 4 years.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
93 posts
5,722 battles

update...................................................................:Smile_facepalm:

 

well, I lost accounts on that kind of things and I got a new account after piling up on my hard drive form the one I am on now to never be able to continue where I left off,

Λοιπόν, έχασα λογαριασμούς σε τέτοια πράγματα και πήρα έναν νέο λογαριασμό αφού έβαλα στο σκληρό μου δίσκο από αυτόν που είμαι τώρα για να μην μπορώ ποτέ να συνεχίσω από εκεί που έφυγα,

ну, я потерял учетные записи по таким вещам, и я получил новую учетную запись после того, как накопил на моем жестком диске тот, что у меня сейчас, чтобы никогда не продолжить с того места, где я остановился,

eh bien, j'ai perdu des comptes sur ce genre de choses et j'ai obtenu un nouveau compte après avoir accumulé sur mon disque dur celui sur lequel je suis maintenant pour ne jamais pouvoir continuer là où je m'étais arrêté,

beh, ho perso account per quel genere di cose e ho ottenuto un nuovo account dopo aver accumulato sul mio disco rigido quello in cui mi trovo ora per non essere mai in grado di continuare da dove avevo interrotto, Mafia!!!

そうですね、そういうことでアカウントを失い、今使っているハードドライブに積み上げて新しいアカウントを取得したので、中断したところから続行できなくなりました。:fish_viking:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
94
[CS7]
[CS7]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
387 posts
5,158 battles

So this is a great step in the right direction. Now I'm waiting for single client for Release and Test (and others). Make a config file and a "server select" from the Game Center so the game only uses the unique files for that game version. But please, please, don't make me download the whole game twice just because I want to test out some a few new features. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
37 posts
20 battles
9 hours ago, isssm said:

How many dev hours does it take to build a separate version of the game with slightly different events anyways? Just tell the regional subsidiaries to stop carving out content to sell separately, or deliberately reduce event rewards so people have to pay for nice things, and there's no problem with content differences.

It's not like you don't have to translate it anymore.

Actually no - as far as unifying content goes, this can only be a bad thing, reducing rewards for all servers down to what the greediest, stingiest region is willing to offer. I still remember that time WG EU decided to not give out Christmas permacamos for free through missions, and instead sold them. Now imagine there was no ability to have separate  regional client versions, and EU brought everyone down to that level.

Sure, it's also a valid argument that a single client would prevent the biggest cash grabs, i.e., other regions might have entirely vetoed EU's cash grab..... but do you really trust WG to consistently fall on the side of players?

Just look at the difference between the original ARP event (Free Atago clones for all) and the current one (WG will never sell T9s and 10s. BTW give us $140 for a Yamato).

but do you really trust WG to consistently fall on the side of players?

I trust WG to consistently fall opposing the players.

As an example look at the difference in doubloons you must spend to complete each dockyard event.

The first event required you to purchase two phases at 1750 doubloons each for a total of 3500.

The second event required you to buy four phases at 1950 doubloons each for a total of 7800, more then double of the previous event.

This is just one example of consistent anti player anti consumer behavior that WG has as of yet showed no sign of changing.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1
[UNBRI]
[UNBRI]
Members
2 posts
8,675 battles

Im a bit confused and concerned....living in the Asian region and playing on the NA server....will this still be viable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
750
[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,717 posts
21,104 battles

 

And in the darkness bind them...

Edited by Tpaktop2_1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
68
[NINE]
Members
50 posts
5,466 battles
13 hours ago, Seaman_Rookie said:

What?  How would having only 1 game client to play all 4 servers piss anyone off?  (And you still can have different copies of the same client for different servers, if you choose.)

Yeah, I misread it as the client automatically choosing the closest server. Which is why it's removed in the edit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
68
[NINE]
Members
50 posts
5,466 battles
11 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Not really sure where you are coming from thinking this has ANYTHING to do with premium ships or the premium shop.

I gave  a specific example:

For the 2016 Christmas event, EU and the rest of the world had different clients for the sole reason that EU ripped out an entire campaign with multiple (tech tree) ships and premium camos (for aforementioned tech tree ships as well as Tirpitz and Spee) to sell separately. On top of that NA had extra bonuses that EU did not.

Give WG's recent history of stripping more and more free content out of events in favor of selling that content, all I see this client unification doing is making rewards worse for everyone as the greediest region pushes against better event rewards.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
77
[TAF34]
Beta Testers
195 posts
11,098 battles

so what happens to my EU and ASIA accounts that I have and also have premium ships on?:Smile-angry:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
32 posts
146 battles
47 minutes ago, Jack_Ice said:

so what happens to my EU and ASIA accounts that I have and also have premium ships on?:Smile-angry:

what should happen to them? You can still use the same client to access all servers (as introduced some time ago), the client connects to the correct server automatically, depending on the used account...

this worked well during the last updates, with only one problem:

a client that had been installed as an EU client didn't start to update until the EU server was updated. So it was impossible to play on the NA server with this client when NA was on the new version already but EU not, even when logged in (at the WGC) with an NA account, because the client was not up to date for the NA server

On the other hand a client that had been installed as a NA client was updated as soon as the NA server was updated, and due to the "backward compatibility" one could use the updated client to play on the not-yet-updated EU server (with an EU account) without problems...

This issue should be solved with a "shared" client update time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×