You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GrandAdmiral_2016

Best Bang For the Buck..

23 comments in this topic

[HELLS]
Members
2,789 posts
30,102 battles

A month ago I had 15 T10s including two specials. and had 2 million FXP. The cost of a single T10 FXP ship seemed a bit steep, especially since I am not a DD player. I examined what could be done tech tree wise. I had the T9 DKM BB, was at T8 in the IJN CA line, T8 in the IJN torpedo boat line, T8 at the USN CV line, T6 in the RN CA line, T7 in IJN torp DD line, T9 in the IJN gunboat DD line  and T8 in the MN BB line. I also looked at the coal ships and followed up on what was going to get pulled from the Premium Shop and the Armory. With a single buy of 3,000 doubloons and some selective play in Randoms and Co-op I now have Grosser Kurfurst, Harugumo, Shimakaze, Goliath, Zao, République and Midway in my port, with about 2000 FXP and 1000 doubloons left over. I got some help from a supercrate drop of a week's Premium Time that made it easier. Seven tech tree T10s instead of Smaland, I'll take that. Plus I have enough coal and steel for either Marceau or Yoshino to add to the collection. I think that is a pretty efficient way to fill out my T10 collection instead of grinding forever and a day to get a single ship. Now to await the snowflake event and see if RNG is nice to me this year....

• Cool 12

[FORM]
Members
2,121 posts
13,030 battles
1 hour ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

I think that is a pretty efficient way to fill out my T10 collection instead of grinding forever and a day to get a single ship. 

2M FXP is a whole lot. I play a ton, and I have no interest in spend my FXP on the Smal.

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
744 posts
10,074 battles

Huh!   Funny how the OP's post makes a whole lot of sense!  Food for thought for me.  I've only 3 tier 10s at this time and 1.45m FXP in reserve.   I was thinking of getting the Agir but that ship doesn't exactly fire me up to get anytime soon.  Meanwhile I do have 2 tech tree tier 9s and 3 tier 8s I could push with the FXP and improve my tier 10 situation quite nicely.   I'm going to have to calculate this as a real possibility....

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
38,066 battles

Watching my div mate @ClassicLibrack up 210k damage and murder opposing dds has made me reconsider my decision not to get it

[5D8]
Members
191 posts
20,118 battles

Let me preface this by stating that I am w/o a doubt a potato. However, talking to a lot of unicum/super unicum players I've learned that while fxp'n a ship isn't ideal sometimes its necessary for something like the snowflakes to get "more". The advice given to me tho is after the fact is to go back and play those ships that you skipped, so that you can at least get a general idea of how they play, so that if you need to play them for something like ranked or whatever you have a general idea what you're doing.

having said all that, awesome idea! i'm currently trying to figure out the best way to get the most 10's myself, so that i may also take a chance w/ rng on the snowflakes.  i have the zao researched, but not bought. I'm fairly credit poor (19m), and that would take a huge chunk out.

I don't have any of the ijn BB line, i have the the whole DD gunboat line.

US I have all the main BB line, and the Kansas. I have both cruiser lines, and only up to 7 on the mahan.

USSR I'm up to the t8 BB, have all of both cruiser lines, and up to 6 on the DD line.

germany all the BB's, t7 cruiser, and 6 DD

UK up to 9 on BB, t10 on light cruiser, and 6 on heavy, and 8 on the DDs

french all the bb's, 6 on cruiser and DD

nothing for pan asia (other than premiums)

italy up to 10 on the cruisers

europe up to 6

I have 383k fxp, and as I stated 19m credits. I have a long road ahead. my thought process is try to keep stocking up on the fxp, and when the snowflakes come around knock them off for a line, reset it, and use the credits/fxp to boost some other lines.

Edited by UnOrthoDocks

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

This isn't directed at anyone in particular.

In general: Please don't free xp into tier 10's unless you are familiar with high tier gameplay. We already have way too many potato's sniping from A-row in Kurfs or trying to torpedo kiting battleships from 14 km.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 2

[HELLS]
Members
2,789 posts
30,102 battles
36 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

In general: Please don't free xp into tier 10's unless you are familiar with high tier gameplay. We already have way too many potato's sniping from A-row in Kurfs or trying to torpedo kiting battleships from 14 km.

At 8000+ Random game and 27,000 Co-op games, I consider myself a grown-up. If anything I am too agressive at high tier play....you cannot fix potatohood... 

[NG-NL]
Members
380 posts
10,325 battles

Really nice work! I can't think of a more efficient use of resources than that.
Thanks for explaining how you put that together.

It's like "extreme couponing" except without the coupons. :cap_yes:

[NG-NL]
Members
380 posts
10,325 battles
42 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Tier 9 isn't a gateway that keeps fools out of Fairyland. It just gives players like me 200 battles in which to practice how to lose in a new ship, so we're not surprised when we reach Tier 10.

2 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

At 8000+ Random game and 27,000 Co-op games, I consider myself a grown-up. If anything I am too agressive at high tier play....you cannot fix potatohood... 

I'll be right up there with you!  "Drive me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!" 

Sitting sideways in smoke, waiting for torpedoes to come up. It works in Halland. It works in Khabarovsk. And when I'm in Großer Kurfürst...let's just say the torpedoes take a loooong time to reload.

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
17 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Yeah man. Same here. That's why I was trying careful about not identifying any particular person or group. 8000 game player can prob figure out a new ship added to a familiar type pretty quick. I'm more concerned about the relatively new players grabbing fxp skipped Midway with only 6 games in carriers. Just because th y can doesn't mean it's a good idea. That's all I was getting at.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
23,002 posts
17,027 battles
11 hours ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

With a single buy of 3,000 doubloons and some selective play in Randoms and Co-op

Can I ask exactly what you did with the doubloons? Was it to convert enough FXP to get you over a threshold?

Not what I'd have done - I prefer to absorb the full flavour of a line with all its shifts and changes on the way to the top - but I don't think I can fault your reasoning, and it certainly was an efficient use of the FXP in that context.

[APEZ]
Members
2,516 posts
8,937 battles

This sounds like serious cope just not to get Smaland

are you convincing yourself or us 

Edited by why_u_heff_to_be_mad
  • Haha 2
  • Meh 1

[GOB]
Members
2,709 posts

Good Job!  I'm frozen in my spending right now simply because I am waiting to see what is next.

I have all the coal ships right now with 340K waiting to see what new ones come out.

120M Credits I am back up to after my latest spending spree.

I will also be back up to 3M FXP by the end of this week , again waiting to see what the new FXP ships will be.

Also just under 2M ECXP as I froze all captains because of the 21 point thing on the way.

I only have 10 T10s  But I imagine I will know better if I want to do what you did long before the flakes go away.

Edited by Col_Nasty

[HELLS]
Members
2,789 posts
30,102 battles
41 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Can I ask exactly what you did with the doubloons? Was it to convert enough FXP to get you over a threshold?

Not what I'd have done - I prefer to absorb the full flavour of a line with all its shifts and changes on the way to the top - but I don't think I can fault your reasoning, and it certainly was an efficient use of the FXP in that context.

Just enough. I grind to the B and C hulls and examine what I need in FXP to complete. If I need more FXP I flag up and go play Randoms in the ship itself or with my top tier Premiums that pay more FXP-wise. Below T9 I grind the whole works. The XP cost at high tiers takes forever to grind and I was sitting on so much FXP without seeing any new FXP ships that appeal to my play style that I took the plunge. I was also looking to see what might come up when the snowflakes come back around. Almost all T10 ships are reasonable to play when properly equipped. Now it is up to Santa's RNG...

[KUK-M]
Members
24 posts
25,410 battles

I did 'worst bang for the Buck's'.  I was wondering re-grinding the least played line, so I reset IJN BB line because I rarely play them except Musashi and Yamato.  After playing  that line for 2 days, I spent 1m fxp to get my Yamato back.  So I spent 1m fxp to get 20k research pts.  To me, most tedious grinding is T9 techtree ships.  I could get 3 t10 skipping T9 with that 1m fxp.  I would buy smal if it is 1m fxp.  I agree it's a good ship but playing t10 DD with all radar ships and t10 CV is pain itself these days.  Whenever I see my 30k research pts, I am thinking what I should do with that.  Now I really don't want to reset after one experience.  To me, just playing t9 premium, new techtree ships, and some ranked are the most fun.  I also want some clan battles but my clan never do that.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,002 posts
17,027 battles
4 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

The XP cost at high tiers takes forever to grind

It depends on how quickly you want it, and occasionally on how quickly you need it (e.g. Moskva, when they announced she was going premium). I sort of amazed myself this year by power-grinding to Moskva, Shima, Daring and Yamato when in some of those lines I was no higher than Tier 7 or 8. Moskva was unplanned but I still got in well ahead of schedule, Daring and Yamato were originally "Let's get this done by Christmas", and Shima was an out-of-the-blue whim. I stunned myself by getting it all done by sometime within September. 

Much of this was driven by the temporary campaign to get that Polish special captain; that was a very convenient carrot. 

[A-I-M]
Members
3,769 posts
14,724 battles
8 hours ago, UnOrthoDocks said:

I have 383m fxp, and as I stated 19m credits. I have a long road ahead. my thought process is try to keep stocking up 

383 million FXP???

And your thought process is to keep stocking up?

1. Maybe you have your “decimal point” (or k vs. m) messed up,

2. You could unlock every tech tree ship and grab every FXP ship and still have well over 300FXP left over,

3. You can’t take it with you.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,335 posts
17,511 battles
9 hours ago, UnOrthoDocks said:

I have 383m fxp,

Wait? What? 383 million free xp?

Ron Burgundy No GIF

Do you mean you have 383m convertible XP? That is XP that you can use doubloons on to turn into Free XP?

[5D8]
Members
191 posts
20,118 battles
1 hour ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

383 million FXP???

And your thought process is to keep stocking up?

1. Maybe you have your “decimal point” (or k vs. m) messed up,

2. You could unlock every tech tree ship and grab every FXP ship and still have well over 300FXP left over,

3. You can’t take it with you.

57 minutes ago, paradat said:

Wait? What? 383 million free xp?

Ron Burgundy No GIF

Do you mean you have 383m convertible XP? That is XP that you can use doubloons on to turn into Free XP?

yes 383k NOT m. It was late when I was typing it haha. I wish I had 383m.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,335 posts
17,511 battles
Just now, UnOrthoDocks said:

yes 383k NOT m. It was late when I was typing it haha. I wish I had 383m.

Ah OK post now makes perfect sense.

[X-M-S]
Members
158 posts
3,371 battles

Good luck on the snowflakes.  It would be interesting if you posted in here what you get for those crates.

To me, this is a good use of your resources if you're not interested in Smaland.  I already have ships that are unlocked but I don't have enough credits to buy so I don't plan to follow your example, but maybe next year.