You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
S7CentNickel

Roon or Ibuki?

22 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
450 posts

Both are unlocked & as usual, not enough creds for both.  Which one do you prefer & why?  I'm leaning toward the Roon, but I'm still not completely sold on it yet.

[FML]
Members
4,148 posts
16,060 battles
3 minutes ago, S7CentNickel said:

Both are unlocked & as usual, not enough creds for both.  Which one do you prefer & why?  I'm leaning toward the Roon, but I'm still not completely sold on it yet.

I think all T9 tech tree cruisers are in a difficult place compared to their opposition and premium counterparts like the Alaska. Except perhaps the Brindisi, though that could just be because it’s the first Italian cruiser that isn’t a trashbote so it feels like a breath of fresh air.

I think the best answer to your question is actually which T10 ship did you want sooner - neither Roon nor Ibuki are keepers imo.

If forced to choose, I’d go Roon - play it like a T9 version of the Nurnberg, go to the flank that is losing so you can kite away more easily, and set fire to advancing battleships. Ibuki is similar, but trades being less tanky for having usable torps (when retreating). 

• Cool 1

[GOCRY]
Members
697 posts

Roon, because of its armor, can tank better.  In the name of balance, it has to pay for that armor somehow, so it’s dpm is lower.  So I played Roon more aggressively than other cruisers, to draw a bit more fire, then turn out and kite, taking advantage of the gun arrangement.

Ibuki needs to stay stealthy because of its lack of armor.  So you need to play that ship more conservatively, maneuvering into position for an alpha strike.

Which of those strategies seems more appealing to you?

[WOLFG]
Members
32,044 posts
9,926 battles
14 minutes ago, S7CentNickel said:

How well did you like playing Myoko, or 203mm Mogami? Ibuki is pretty much the same, but you can get the range up over 19km.

Roon is basically a love child between Hipper and Konigsberg. If you liked those two ships, you'll like Roon.

What you also might want to consider is the T10. Hindenburg would be my pick there, just because it does pretty much everything well, even if not best at anything.

[WOLF5]
Members
907 posts
37,213 battles

Roon, but the other consideration is do you want the Hindy or the Zao first....

[NUWES]
Members
3,365 posts
12,107 battles
59 minutes ago, S7CentNickel said:

That's a tough one. I really despise those two ships. T9 cruisers are a middling bunch but those two take the cake. Ibuki is astonishingly fragile for a CA and its agility is poor, but its concealment and firepower are nice. Roon is the wrong 3/4 of a Hindenburg. If the gun layout was reversed it would be a good ship. It's pretty durable and has German but the niceties end there. It fights better on the retreat which requires you to be losing. Concealment is poor, guns are positioned badly, torp range is poor. As to which is better, it depends on which suits your playstyle. Personally I would take almost any other CL or CA over those two. Both of the T10s are pretty good though.

Edited by Tzarevitch

[WOLFC]
Members
2,447 posts
10,842 battles

I’d choose Roon. Not because she’s a particularly good ship, but because Hindenburg is such a wonderful ship to play. Roon herself has an awkward turret setup that is more tailored to kiting, which limits her tactical flexibility compared to Hipper. The loss of 1/3 of the torpedo armament (she has only a single quad launcher on each side instead of a pair of triples) also limits your ability to push and play aggressively. I run the range module and usually spend most of the match firing HE and burning everything to the ground from 15+ km. IMO, she’s the least enjoyable of the German CAs.

[PVE]
Members
7,644 posts
23,655 battles

I preferred the Room...but not because it was a better ship...just because my commander from the Hipper was better suited for it than the Mogami commander was for the Ibuki (plus finishing the Mogami was a sad day...so much fun in that ship. Fortunately T8 ranked started shortly after so it wasn't like it was mothballed for long...but I did need to set up a new commander for it).

[O_O]
Members
6,961 posts
16,853 battles

Both are solid cruisers if played to their strengths.  But, in my eyes Roon is the better cruiser over Ibuki.  Similarly, Hindenburg is better than Zao...IMO, of course.

The IJN cruisers are better HE spammers and have better torpedoes, which are situational.  The German cruisers have nasty AP and are tougher.  Their ability to hurt cruisers and battleships with AP, and their survivability, gives them the edge in my book.

Edited by desmo_2

[NSEW]
Members
463 posts
4,088 battles
9 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I think all T9 tech tree cruisers are in a difficult place compared to their opposition and premium counterparts like the Alaska. Except perhaps the Brindisi, though that could just be because it’s the first Italian cruiser that isn’t a trashbote so it feels like a breath of fresh air.

I think the best answer to your question is actually which T10 ship did you want sooner - neither Roon nor Ibuki are keepers imo.

If forced to choose, I’d go Roon - play it like a T9 version of the Nurnberg, go to the flank that is losing so you can kite away more easily, and set fire to advancing battleships. Ibuki is similar, but trades being less tanky for having usable torps (when retreating). 

I'd disagree with that

The Brindisi is simply bad, the whole line played terribly for me at least not one ship was really worth it in hindsight

[FML]
Members
4,148 posts
16,060 battles
19 minutes ago, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

I'd disagree with that

The Brindisi is simply bad, the whole line played terribly for me at least not one ship was really worth it in hindsight

Fair enough. Maybe I’m just a glutton for punishment...

[NSEW]
Members
463 posts
4,088 battles

If you made them work more power to you

Might be interested in some tips for if Im ever in the mood to buy Venezia

Got pissed at how easy it was to negate my presence

[X-PN]
Members
1,517 posts
11,992 battles

Roon.

The turret setup takes a little getting used to, but learn to get turned around when you think you are about to be engaged.  Of all the T9 tree cruisers, I have the most high damage games in Roon since it burns down BBs better than any other tree cruiser.

• Cool 1

Members
349 posts
7,066 battles

On my way up the tiers I didnt like any of the T9s. Sure they were better than the T8s but they nearly always end up facing T10s & are found lacking. Semi recently I have started revisting the T9s & the Roon is one that I have developed a love affair with. It cant bow tank & its armor isnt as good as the Hipper but its a fine kiter that hits hard. 
Ibuki I honestly hated & ended up FXPing through it. I think I may just make that my next one to revisit though. 

In the end as others have said it boils down to do you want the Hindy or Zao more? I think the Hindy is better but the Zao is a beast especially once you get the legendary mod. 

[ARGSY]
Members
23,058 posts
17,048 battles
12 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

Both are unlocked & as usual, not enough creds for both.

Are they destinations, or merely signposts on the journey? As others have pointed out, the important thing to consider is whether you're headed to Tier 10 (not all of us are automatically) and whether you want Hindenburg or Zao more.

Are you on the Public Test? That's the best place to try out both of them risk-free.

[A-O]
Members
1,086 posts
10,736 battles
13 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

I ground my way thru Roon. Not because I like the ship but because I wanted the Hindenburg ( I do not use FXP to skip even the worst of ships).

As frustrating as Roon was at times, Hindenburg put more than one smile back onto my face :-)

[A-I-M]
Members
3,781 posts
14,741 battles
12 hours ago, h9k_a said:

Roon, but the other consideration is do you want the Hindy or the Zao first....

This right here. Make your pick based on which of the T10s you would rather have.

Ive got both Hindenburg and Zao, and like both, but I find the Zao much more viable, these days.

[WOLFA]
Members
323 posts
21,625 battles
1 hour ago, YouSatInGum said:

Roon.

The turret setup takes a little getting used to, but learn to get turned around when you think you are about to be engaged.  Of all the T9 tree cruisers, I have the most high damage games in Roon since it burns down BBs better than any other tree cruiser.

This, Roon its amazing, bounce some dmg, gunnery its good, good reload time, set fires, can do a ton of dmg. Imho its one of  the best tier 9 cruiser in game. (sorry for my english)

[WOLF9]
Members
1,094 posts
22,678 battles

I didn't like the Roon because of it's turret layout.  Otherwise, it was an ok ship.  I didn't like the Ibuki at all.  I died way too easy in it over and over.

By the way, the Hindenburg ROCKS.