Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

Kind of forgot what it was like being a "noob" in the game (PVE Thread)

56 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
13,258 posts
27,766 battles

Been a long time since I was lacking for anything in WOWS. Even playing Co-op exclusively with the inherent poor rewards just isn't an issue anymore. All the lines done, more 19pt Captains then I can even play in a day, majority of the Premium ships, more resources than I can shake a stick at, etc...

I really enjoyed the Epoch Campaign. It was great actually being able to use low tier stuff for something other than just playing for fun. It is one of the few things in recent times WG has done that is nothing but positive. I enjoyed it so much I have gone back even though I am done with it and finished off all the tasks I hadn't done on the initial run through (still doing the Midway credit task in Stage 5 but almost done with it and it is last one not done). It has been a lot of fun.

Have had some discussions with people (new players) about doing it in concert with progressing up the tech tree (I wish I had a campaign to do as I climbed the tree when I joined but back then nothing below T5 was out there and/or it was all non Co-op) and also doing events and such in general. Lots of complaining it is too hard if you don't have a huge fleet like I do. While I agree it is harder I have felt it is still doable in a reasonable manner as long as you can at least muster ships for the general tasks (and on Epoch just do the stages as you climb the tree).

Had a challenge thrown at me to do it on an alternate acct and see that it is hard and not as easy as I was saying. Challenge was accepted LOL.

Have to admit it has been a LONG time since I had to worry about credits and other resources and/or didn't have ships needed to do something. It does suck; they were right. :cap_fainting::Smile_veryhappy: But I was right too in that it is still doable and can be a lot of fun climbing the tree and unlocking new Epoch stages. Gives something to do besides just grinding the tree. 

So I used an alternate acct of mine that had never been played (don't ask why). I started out at T1 and Service Level 1 just like a noob would. I play the main acct for my dailies and any "stuff" I need to do on it 1st always but after that is done I will jump on the other acct for a few games. Have done pretty good so far. 

• US BB Split Pt2 Collection =-finished collection and got OK (no I didn't buy it all out with crates). Am done through Stage 6 and waiting for the final stage (7) to go live just to finish it.
  • I am on Stage 3 of Epoch. Just a few XP from being done with the last task to unlock the final task.
  • Have reached T5-T6 in a few ship lines and even got enough Coal to grab a Premium DD (Anshan as I recall).
  • Have got to SL 14 and am 1/2 way to the final SL (15).
  • Have been able to do some missions here and there for camos and such as well as the one for the 6pt IJN Capt which was a big help.

So I am doing ok BUT I have reached the 1st crunch. Almost out of credits and running out of flags and camo from the various things WG gives. BUT Stage 4 of Epoch allows T6 ships so I will be able to work on it still (at least the general tasks). Pretty much this is where I ran into the 1st road block on my main acct too = T6. Things slow down fast here. 

Sure does bring back memories of the frustration of "the grind". I don't miss it at all (one of the main reasons I am so against RB); especially the Pensacola grind which I am now doing AGAIN but in the worse T6 version UGH! :fish_panic:. This refresher gives me a new appreciation for how hard things are for the new players and how the veterans do have it easier with all of our "stuff" that helps even though we still have to do the same tasks and stuff.  

I know I know...I am crazy volunteering to do all this stuff again and start over. It's not that bad but it is harder I have to admit. So may hats off to all the new players grinding their way through this with your limited resources. You can do it just like I am doing it but I feel for your plight! :Smile_honoring:

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 5
  • Thanks 2

[MUDDX]
Banned
429 posts
1,111 battles
20 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I know I know...I am crazy volunteering to do all this stuff again and start over. It's not that bad but it is harder I have to admit. So may hats off to all the new players grinding their way through this with your limited resources. You can do it just like I am doing it but I feel for your plight!

I have done that 5 times in recent months CAPTMUDDXX is my main acct now 5 years old and though not as developed as yours it is still quite full.

I have also started 1 each Asia, RU and EU accounts just for mainly tier 1 fun.

Being a noob again with 5 years experience is a hoot.

by the way o7 Dasha Perova is one hot babe!

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,207 posts
22,715 battles

I don't need an alt account to realize how much of a noob I still can be. I just take any of my four CV into Randoms. Not only do my planes but my pride get swatted - planes by the enemy, pride by my team mate's salt...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CO-OP]
Members
2,683 posts
27,873 battles

I know that you loath PVP, but with a new account you have protected matchmaking so you won't have to deal with the general PVP population (only new players and re-rolls.)  It would seem that this would be a good option to get XP, and credits.

[PVE]
Members
5,015 posts
22,079 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Been a long time since I was lacking for anything in WOWS. Even playing Co-op exclusively with the inherent poor rewards just isn't an issue anymore. All the lines done, more 19pt Captains then I can even play in a day, majority of the Premium ships, more resources than I can shake a stick at, etc...

I really enjoyed the Epoch Campaign. It was great actually being able to use low tier stuff for something other than just playing for fun. It is one of the few things in recent times WG has done that is nothing but positive. I enjoyed it so much I have gone back even though I am done with it and finished off all the tasks I hadn't done on the initial run through (still doing the Midway credit task in Stage 5 but almost done with it and it is last one not done). It has been a lot of fun.

Have had some discussions with people (new players) about doing it in concert with progressing up the tech tree (I wish I had a campaign to do as I climbed the tree when I joined but back then nothing below T5 was out there and/or it was all non Co-op) and also doing events and such in general. Lots of complaining it is too hard if you don't have a huge fleet like I do. While I agree it is harder I have felt it is still doable in a reasonable manner as long as you can at least muster ships for the general tasks (and on Epoch just do the stages as you climb the tree).

Had a challenge thrown at me to do it on an alternate acct and see that it is hard and not as easy as I was saying. Challenge was accepted LOL.

Have to admit it has been a LONG time since I had to worry about credits and other resources and/or didn't have ships needed to do something. It does suck; they were right. :cap_fainting::Smile_veryhappy: But I was right too in that it is still doable and can be a lot of fun climbing the tree and unlocking new Epoch stages. Gives something to do besides just grinding the tree. 

So I used an alternate acct of mine that had never been played (don't ask why). I started out at T1 and Service Level 1 just like a noob would. I play the main acct for my dailies and any "stuff" I need to do on it 1st always but after that is done I will jump on the other acct for a few games. Have done pretty good so far. 

• US BB Split Pt2 Collection =-finished collection and got OK (no I didn't buy it all out with crates). Am done through Stage 6 and waiting for the final stage (7) to go live just to finish it.
  • I am on Stage 3 of Epoch. Just a few XP from being done with the last task to unlock the final task.
  • Have reached T5-T6 in a few ship lines and even got enough Coal to grab a Premium DD (Anshan as I recall).
  • Have got to SL 14 and am 1/2 way to the final SL (15).
  • Have been able to do some missions here and there for camos and such as well as the one for the 6pt IJN Capt which was a big help.

So I am doing ok BUT I have reached the 1st crunch. Almost out of credits and running out of flags and camo from the various things WG gives. BUT Stage 4 of Epoch allows T6 ships so I will be able to work on it still (at least the general tasks). Pretty much this is where I ran into the 1st road block on my main acct too = T6. Things slow down fast here. 

Sure does bring back memories of the frustration of "the grind". I don't miss it at all (one of the main reasons I am so against RB); especially the Pensacola grind which I am now doing AGAIN but in the worse T6 version UGH! :fish_panic:. This refresher gives me a new appreciation for how hard things are for the new players and how the veterans do have it easier with all of our "stuff" that helps even though we still have to do the same tasks and stuff.  

I know I know...I am crazy volunteering to do all this stuff again and start over. It's not that bad but it is harder I have to admit. So may hats off to all the new players grinding their way through this with your limited resources. You can do it just like I am doing it but I feel for your plight! :Smile_honoring:

You sound like Don Quixote !  "Now where is that bigger windmill..........?  PONCHO, get that Donkey saddled !   There's windmills to hunt !!!......"
NO.   Nyet.    Ni.   La.    Nein........    A'a.    Ochi.........pick one.          "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome is the definition of what.............?" 

To quote John Adams:  "Never..........  Never..... (door slamming) !"  :Smile_popcorn:

• Haha 2

[WOLF9]
Members
1,094 posts
22,648 battles

Well, I will NEVER create an alternate account.  Too much time / money spent on this account.  Besides I am grinding all of the DD lines (two IJN are done, USN at T8, all the others at T6) and I am doing the RB, so I still get the feel of lower tiers.  This will keep me in the low - mid levels well into next spring playing mostly 1 battle a day with these ships in Coop.

I do FXP and start a regrind at T5.  And since it is my main account, I do have premium time too (I bought several year long premium times a few years in a row, and with the premium time they hand out, I still have over 400 days of it).  In all of 2020 it went from like 600 days down to like 450.  So I am good thru early 2022.

[MUDDX]
Banned
429 posts
1,111 battles
2 hours ago, kyesac said:

Well, I will NEVER create an alternate account. 

I and quite likely Thunder have been at this a very long time and I also have money and time invested in my first account. I also said NEVER but that didn't hold. 

I am glad they made the one client able to play all 4 regions otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

[FRR]
Members
848 posts
5 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I don't miss it at all (one of the main reasons I am so against RB); especially the Pensacola grind which I am now doing AGAIN but in the worse T6 version UGH! :fish_panic:. This refresher gives me a new appreciation for how hard things are for the new players and how the veterans do have it easier with all of our "stuff" that helps even though we still have to do the same tasks and stuff. 

Looking back, I can't stop laughing at how I played World of Warships. I literally did everything that was wrong. No mini-map, no camo, no flags, not even using captain skills—and I did this in Co-op and for my first 967 games in Randoms! 😂

• Funny 1

[WOLF9]
Members
4,678 posts

I enjoy the 5 Epochs, too.     Haven't played in several days, due to a terrible case of the lackawannas.   I'm on the final mission of part 4.

to me, the best part was the low tier missions.   Simply because it served as a reminder of just how much fun some of those tier 3 and 4 ships can be.   Especially, when you aren't trying to grind through them for the first time, and actually KNOW how to play ships like that.   It's a crucial difference.

Take V-170.  I see it get mixed reviews on here, and even in chat.   Were I playing it as my first tier 4 DD- ie with little DD experience to draw from,  I highly doubt I'd have liked it nearly as much.  In fact I know I wouldn't have, due to my experiences of re-playing ships like Sampson.  And also because it took me quite a while to get good enough to actually like Izzy.  (which was my favorite tier 4 DD prior to playing this one, and possibly the Frenchie)   Thus, grinding through V-170 was not only a breeze- but the ship was an absolute beast!   Using it's AP shells to gouge huge chunks of health from enemy cruisers is stupidly fun, and something I never really did the first couple swings through tier 4...

Another is Karlsruhe.   Admittedly, I've ground through this multiple times, resetting the line, and WG has buffed it several times etc.   But in a pair of experienced cruiser player's hands,  this ship can sing!   Still considered a dog by most.   I surprised the hell out of myself, by not only enjoying it a LOT, but turning in a bunch of killer games with it.  First time through, I found Karl to be decidedly meh.

It also served as a great excuse to dust off my beloved Svietlana and put it through it's paces a bunch of times.   Same for Acasta- with Captain Jingles.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,042 posts
17,042 battles
5 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

I know that you loath PVP, but with a new account you have protected matchmaking so you won't have to deal with the general PVP population (only new players and re-rolls.)  It would seem that this would be a good option to get XP, and credits.

If I recall correctly, you bust out of the playpen automatically by playing at Tier 5.

[PVE]
Members
7,634 posts
23,635 battles
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If I recall correctly, you bust out of the playpen automatically by playing at Tier 5.

I think you can go back as long as you are under the 200 game mark still...but I have had varying replies of yes & no when I inquired so don't quote me on that.

[PVE]
Members
7,634 posts
23,635 battles
4 hours ago, kyesac said:

Well, I will NEVER create an alternate account.  Too much time / money spent on this account.

The time is relevant but I think the whole point of this thread was that he was retrying the "new player experience" & he wasn't going to spend any money on the alt account so he can experience the troubles of lack of credits & port slots & all the other issues new players (w/out cash to spend) need to deal with w/out paying to skip those issues.

[CO-OP]
Members
2,683 posts
27,873 battles
34 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

22 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

I think you can go back as long as you are under the 200 game mark still...but I have had varying replies of yes & no when I inquired so don't quote me on that.

Both of you are correct.  You can play up to 200 games at tier 4 or less before you get thrown into the general queue.  

[PVE]
Members
7,634 posts
23,635 battles
3 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

Both of you are correct.  You can play up to 200 games at tier 4 or less before you get thrown into the general queue.  

But if you play a T5 ship can you drop back down to T4 (or lower) & be back in protected MM if you are still under 200 games.

[CO-OP]
Members
1,987 posts
27,317 battles

The T6 roadblock is what prompted me to buy premium time for the first time. T5 wasn't much fun either, coming up against T7 BBs was a challenge in a T5 paper armoured cruiser.

[PVE]
Members
13,258 posts
27,766 battles
12 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

Honestly I thought of that and taking Wyoming out for a few games as I do well in PVP with the ship and I would probably see a lot of bots anyway from what I have read about low tier Randoms lately. However, I have already played T6 games.  I assume Co-op counts as part of the whole protected MM and a game at T5 there counts the same as in Randoms? 

12 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

You sound like Don Quixote !  "Now where is that bigger windmill..........?  PONCHO, get that Donkey saddled !   There's windmills to hunt !!!......"
NO.   Nyet.    Ni.   La.    Nein........    A'a.    Ochi.........pick one.          "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome is the definition of what.............?" 

To quote John Adams:  "Never..........  Never..... (door slamming) !"  :Smile_popcorn:

11 hours ago, kyesac said:

Well, I will NEVER create an alternate account.  Too much time / money spent on this account.  Besides I am grinding all of the DD lines (two IJN are done, USN at T8, all the others at T6) and I am doing the RB, so I still get the feel of lower tiers.  This will keep me in the low - mid levels well into next spring playing mostly 1 battle a day with these ships in Coop.

I do FXP and start a regrind at T5.  And since it is my main account, I do have premium time too (I bought several year long premium times a few years in a row, and with the premium time they hand out, I still have over 400 days of it).  In all of 2020 it went from like 600 days down to like 450.  So I am good thru early 2022.

It isn't something I will use a lot and I will always prioritize my main acct.

7 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

The time is relevant but I think the whole point of this thread was that he was retrying the "new player experience" & he wasn't going to spend any money on the alt account so he can experience the troubles of lack of credits & port slots & all the other issues new players (w/out cash to spend) need to deal with w/out paying to skip those issues.

This exactly. This is an experiment not a new primary acct to redo everything in again. Just the thought of doing that...the HORROR!!! :Smile_hiding:

44 minutes ago, Efros said:

The T6 roadblock is what prompted me to buy premium time for the first time. T5 wasn't much fun either, coming up against T7 BBs was a challenge in a T5 paper armoured cruiser.

On my main acct I made it to my 1st T7 (Fiji) before I started buying stuff to help.

[CO-OP]
Members
1,987 posts
27,317 battles

Having to wait for a new ship because you 1) didn't have enough silver, 2) didn't have a port [edited] and then you get it, by selling your current highest tier ship. Then you have to run the new ship as stock due to lack of FXP or 1) along with a half experience commander or worse due to lack of silver, ECXP or Dubs to retrain him. Don't miss those days.

[PVE]
Members
13,258 posts
27,766 battles
5 minutes ago, Efros said:

Having to wait for a new ship because you 1) didn't have enough silver, 2) didn't have a port [edited] and then you get it, by selling your current highest tier ship. Then you have to run the new ship as stock due to lack of FXP or 1) along with a half experience commander or worse due to lack of silver, ECXP or Dubs to retrain him. Don't miss those days.

:cap_like::Smile_veryhappy:

Yup, oh the memories this has brought back. :cap_fainting:

[ARGSY]
Members
23,042 posts
17,042 battles
35 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

On my main acct I made it to my 1st T7 (Fiji) before I started buying stuff to help.

That's about how far I got (I actually made it as far as Edinburgh/T8 Cleveland @ the split), but what tipped me over was that 2018 Steam sale that was so incredibly lucrative. I picked up Ishizuchi, Texas, Graf Spee and Anshan for cheap. I only started buying Premium time at the end of 2018, but until then I didn't need it; I was low enough on the tree with most of my lines that it wasn't hitherto necessary.

[4HIM]
Members
3,245 posts
14,658 battles

I remember.  And I still have a credit crunch from time to time.  But that's because I tend to not focus one line to grind.  I'll cycle through several ships.  Sometimes just trying to grind captain XP by playing the same captains in the premiums.  Or I'll just hop around to take advantage of the first win bonus.  So I tend to unlock ships in waves.  Nothing for a while, then I'll unlock 3 or 4 within a few days of each other.  Adding all the modules and such for multiple ships will drain the account fast.  Heck, last year I had to sell a lot of low tier ships to get the credits to get Moskva.  Did that because I wanted the mission for the UU.  Didn't want to have to go RB for it.  But after I did, WG turned around and pounded the UU with the nerf hammer.  

But gratz on doing this.  I've seen a few CC's and YT'ers put out vids telling about how quick a new player can get to T10.  Of course, they "get lucky" with a crate and get a pile of lizard flags or FXP.  I'd like to see someone get to T10 as a FTP player and not get so lucky.  You know, like the rest of us.  

[CO-OP]
Members
1,987 posts
27,317 battles

This was my problem, I progressed all lines at once which is why it took me forever to get to my first T10 but why I had a dozen of them within a few months.

[PVE]
Members
13,258 posts
27,766 battles
18 minutes ago, Efros said:

This was my problem, I progressed all lines at once which is why it took me forever to get to my first T10 but why I had a dozen of them within a few months.

When I started it was just US/IJN/KM/RU/BRN

On the advice of the person who got me into the game I worked up all the nations at once and most of the ships classes in each one. It does slow you down but it also teaches you more I think than picking one line and rushing up it.

[CO-OP]
Members
1,987 posts
27,317 battles

I got into the habit of only playing a ship once a day, I think that stopped me falling into the grind trap. If you have to grind then you ain't playing you're working.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
13,258 posts
27,766 battles
2 hours ago, Efros said:

I got into the habit of only playing a ship once a day, I think that stopped me falling into the grind trap. If you have to grind then you ain't playing you're working.

But...but...must get all the ships... :fish_nerv:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,094 posts
22,648 battles
8 hours ago, Efros said:

LOL.  YES!! To all of the above.  I use to be glad to grind out one new ship a MONTH, and I was grinding all of the BB, CA, CL, CV, and DD lines in the beginning.  And syill I had to wait. 

And all I kept thinking was to someday get into a situation where if there was a ship I wanted, I would just have to click and it would be mine (sort of where the Admiral is at today).  Of course, I am still NOT there, and I have been playing since 2015, though only very seriously in the last 2 years.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this