Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tpaktop2_1

We lost a President today in 1963

11 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

753
[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,722 posts
21,111 battles

:Smile_honoring:

 

I was a boy when it happened. I was so pissed that the cartoons were not showing on Saturday on the TV . Who does this guy think he was to take away my cartoons? So much to learn from his legacy. He was not perfect, but he was our President.

Edited by Tpaktop2_1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
987
[CK5]
Members
1,521 posts
16,305 battles

Yes, as with a lot of people of a certain age, I remember exactly what I was doing when told the president had been shot.  It was an extraordinarily traumatic experience for the country at the time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
339
[USCG]
Members
741 posts
22,602 battles

I was a few months old so let’s just say my memory on this is a bit...foggy...

I do wish we had a little more, “Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country” mentality these days though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,959
[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,602 posts
4,771 battles

I was in third grade, walking across the schoolyard on the way home, when a girl with a transistor radio told me.  They say everyone remembers where they were when they heard.

R.I.P. John Fitzgerald Kennedy

 

BTW, I must have been a strange little kid.  By choice I listened to the Kennedy/Nixon debates.  Thought Nixon had won them.  Then followed the election returns and have been following ever since. 

 

 

Something was very wrong with this last one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,224
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,254 posts

I remember Mom crying and thought that my grandpa had died. I was relieved to find out it was only a President. Nobody deserves to be murdered but JFK wasn't a very good president. His shenanigans with women in the White House should have seen him impeached.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,271
[PVE]
Members
7,644 posts
23,655 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

I remember Mom crying and thought that my grandpa had died. I was relieved to find out it was only a President. Nobody deserves to be murdered but JFK wasn't a very good president. His shenanigans with women in the White House should have seen him impeached.

But there's that speech...where he inspired us to go to the moon (unfortunately it wasn't for any exploratory/scientifically inspired reasons...just an arms race reason...what a shame).

But whatever happened to the separation of church & state?

Marriage is & always has been a religious ceremony (& anybody that has been "married" by the state is not actually married as you need to be a practicing member of a religion in order to actually be claiming to practice their marriage ceremony...minimum requirement having read the whole book from cover to cover & not just quoting that 1 verse over & over...& you all know that 1 verse I'm talking about).

Religious moral codes are not laws...& shouldn't be written into law (& most importantly shouldn't be enforced by any court system...especially an impeachment hearing) in a country where freedom of religion is in the constitution.

Not all religions practice monogamy...for example...are Mormons w/multiple wives criminals?

As for the OP...it is also the anniversary of the TV series Doctor Who.

After all day of watching the news about the "colonists" president being shot they decided they'd had enough & let the premier happen on it's regularly scheduled date instead of postponing it for more (more being relative...because as we all know the news today is the same as it was then...nothing "more"...just the same thing repeated over & over & over again) news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,224
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,254 posts
19 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

As for the OP...it is also the anniversary of the TV series Doctor Who.

Yeah, I recall that they aired the first episode a week late so as not to be preempted by the news coming from the US.

I really liked the new Dr. Who series until derailed it by making it "woke."

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,271
[PVE]
Members
7,644 posts
23,655 battles
43 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Yeah, I recall that they aired the first episode a week late so as not to be preempted by the news coming from the US.

I really liked the new Dr. Who series until derailed it by making it "woke."

Actually they didn't preempt it...although it was actually the next day (23rd) that it aired...so they did show the news all day the day he was shot but the next night they ended the news about it (at least on that channel) & ran Dr Who as originally scheduled.

Haven't watched any of the new Dr Whos...as in years. Only seen the originals they used to show on PBS...they did get as far as the 3rd doctor (w/the scarf) on those.

Never been opposed to watching it...just was always doing something else & never got around to it.

1 of these days might do a binge watch from beginning to end just to kill a week.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,224
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,254 posts
17 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Actually they didn't preempt it...although it was actually the next day (23rd) that it aired...so they did show the news all day the day he was shot but the next night they ended the news about it (at least on that channel) & ran Dr Who as originally scheduled.

Haven't watched any of the new Dr Whos...as in years. Only seen the originals they used to show on PBS...they did get as far as the 3rd doctor (w/the scarf) on those.

Never been opposed to watching it...just was always doing something else & never got around to it.

1 of these days might do a binge watch from beginning to end just to kill a week.

The new series used to be on Amazon Prime but I don't know who has is licensed now. I remember watching a few of the "Tom Baker's" when I was an undergrad. They were good but you sort of had to "read between the lines" to see what they might have been had they had a better production budget. Most of the new ones are quite good.

This is one of my favorite scenes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,271
[PVE]
Members
7,644 posts
23,655 battles
14 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The new series used to be on Amazon Prime but I don't know who has is licensed now. I remember watching a few of the "Tom Baker's" when I was an undergrad. They were good but you sort of had to "read between the lines" to see what they might have been had they had a better production budget. Most of the new ones are quite good.

This is one of my favorite scenes.

 

This line "there have been so many" is odd...the originals suggested there wasn't many (on this world anyway...not that there wasn't others) but the same 1 taking on new forms (aka...that actors contract has run out...next).

But as I said...I haven't watched in a loooooong time...so maybe they added in a plot line where others have come in.

Edit: My bad...it was antagonists not other doctors he was referring to...they montaged all (or at least quite a few of) the past doctors right afterwards so it confused me.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
510
[NEMO]
Members
829 posts
3,276 battles
6 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

The new series used to be on Amazon Prime but I don't know who has is licensed now. I remember watching a few of the "Tom Baker's" when I was an undergrad. They were good but you sort of had to "read between the lines" to see what they might have been had they had a better production budget. Most of the new ones are quite good.

This is one of my favorite scenes.

 

I like doctor who, did you guys know its a female now?

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×