You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Merc_R_Us

Photo of MM at work, no other comment.

39 comments in this topic

[GRETA]
Members
1,349 posts
10,476 battles

There is no way to balance this, this information easily acquired and displayed by a random 3rd party program is far too elusive for a company the size of WG to put to use.

• Haha 2

[RKLES]
Members
964 posts

Like I  said, I am playing less and less.

I don't enjoy winning or losing like the way most games are going these days.

The quality is gone, anyone have any game suggestions?

• Thanks 1

Members
19 posts
14,812 battles

Only way I could think of to balance this was for WG to spread the players in the match in a way that is more "equal" based on their winrate/PR/average damage. Even then I'm not sure how to do it considering the vast differences in player skills you can find

[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
408 posts
5,997 battles

Random battles huh? It is working as intended, random teams. For "skilled MM" or competitive play go to CBs or, ugh, even rankeds, because one can assume that the higher the rank, the better the players.

What would be your suggestion? Forbid good players from playing in a division?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
957 posts
7,498 battles
2 minutes ago, Torenico said:

Random battles huh? It is working as intended, random teams. For "skilled MM" or competitive play go to CBs or, ugh, even rankeds, because one can assume that the higher the rank, the better the players.

What would be your suggestion? Forbid good players from playing in a division?

distribute non division good players to other side might be good no?

Members
5,598 posts
10,841 battles

Random by definition not to mention MM can't really 'fix' teams as it does not know the future and how each person will play one game much less how 24 people will play individually or as a team. 

Really with people would read the endless threads on the exact  same topic, with the EXACT same answers.

• Cool 1

[IMP]
408 posts
5,997 battles
5 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

distribute non division good players to other side might be good no?

For random battles? No, for things like ranked? Yes.

Like I said before, it's called randoms for a reason.

[RKLES]
Members
964 posts

Random or not, like I said before winning or losing in a blow out is not fun.

Maybe change the name to "balanced" so the purists among us can be happy.

[X-PN]
Members
1,499 posts
11,906 battles
1 hour ago, Torenico said:

But it IS NOT RANDOM.  When you can pick 25% of your team it is not random.  Please stop saying that it is, when it is most obviously not.

A lot of the time when you see these unbalanced teams it is because of a division.  As long as this is possible, these large skill imbalances will happen much more frequently.

Edited by YouSatInGum
  • Boring 2

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
957 posts
7,498 battles
10 minutes ago, Torenico said:

If they let this kind of thing happen, you're not going to see many players in Clan Battles down the road. I know it's random, but players having a bit longer of an experience playing in random will feed them into Clan Battles eventually. 

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,436 posts
13,111 battles
21 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

Random by definition not to mention MM can't really 'fix' teams as it does not know the future and how each person will play one game much less how 24 people will play individually or as a team. 

Really with people would read the endless threads on the exact  same topic, with the EXACT same answers.

That wouldn't support taking a single game and using it to prove the whole MM is busted and unfair.

If they used a statically meaningful number of games, then I'd suspect the numbers would balance out. 

[X-PN]
Members
1,499 posts
11,906 battles
10 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

If they let this kind of thing happen, you're not going to see many players in Clan Battles down the road. I know it's random, but players having a bit longer of an experience playing in random will feed them into Clan Battles eventually. 

The problem there is once you get to storm 2 and higher it becomes the MVR battles (with the occasional FDR mixed in).

[SALVO]
Members
26,043 posts
28,736 battles
54 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

There is no way to balance this, this information easily acquired and displayed by a random 3rd party program is far too elusive for a company the size of WG to put to use.

Yeah, there is.  Put the left team's BBs on the right team, and visa-versa.  And maybe flip the solo purple player over to the right team.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,541 posts
5,877 battles

What do you think would be different if the MM tried, and I emphasize the word "tried", to balance teams based on skill?

[SALVO]
Members
26,043 posts
28,736 battles
23 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

But it IS NOT RANDOM.  When you can pick 25% of your team it is not random.  Please stop saying that it is, when it is most obviously not.

A lot of the time when you see these unbalanced teams it is because of a division.  As long as this is possible, these large skill balances will happen much more frequently.

What is random is that the other 75% of the team isn't adjusted to balance out the overall quality of both teams.

Also, I think that you meant to say "these large skill imbalances will happen ..." in the final sentence.

[SALVO]
Members
26,043 posts
28,736 battles
3 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

What do you think would be different if the MM tried, and I emphasize the word "tried", to balance teams based on skill?

For starters, if the teams appeared to be reasonably fairly balanced at the start, players could enter a match believing that they had a roughly 50/50 chance of winning.  But currently, if you look at MMM and see what the OP's image displayed, and you're on the team on the right, you're going to be thinking that you don't have  a chance in hell of winning.

Will this mean fewer massacres in the long run?  Maybe somewhat fewer, but it wouldn't put a stop to them because the snowball effect isn't entirely dependent on the overall skill of the two teams.

Regardless, I don't think that anything will happen because WG coddles its best players, claiming that they don't want to punish them, but failing to see that doing nothing ends up punishing the rest of the players.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,541 posts
5,877 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

For starters, if the teams appeared to be reasonably fairly balanced at the start, players could enter a match believing that they had a roughly 50/50 chance of winning.  But currently, if you look at MMM and see what the OP's image displayed, and you're on the team on the right, you're going to be thinking that you don't have  a chance in hell of winning.

Will this mean fewer massacres in the long run?  Maybe somewhat fewer, but it wouldn't put a stop to them because the snowball effect isn't entirely dependent on the overall skill of the two teams.

Regardless, I don't think that anything will happen because WG coddles its best players, claiming that they don't want to punish them, but failing to see that doing nothing ends up punishing the rest of the players.

The first can easily be solved by not using MMM.  Per LWM's WoT reference the change in blowouts would be about 5%, not a noticeable number unless you run a spreadsheet of all your battle results, and even then it would take thousands of matches to become apparent.

What I think would happen if it were implemented is that there would be no appreciable change in how Random's played out and then the players currently demanding a Skill based MM would switch to complaining that WG wasn't using the right skills to base their Skill based MM on.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
957 posts
7,498 battles
52 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

The problem there is once you get to storm 2 and higher it becomes the MVR battles (with the occasional FDR mixed in).

you mean Petro*

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,945 battles
2 hours ago, Learux said:

Like I  said, I am playing less and less.

I don't enjoy winning or losing like the way most games are going these days.

The quality is gone, anyone have any game suggestions?

Factorio

War in the Pacific Admirals Edition

[IMP]
408 posts
5,997 battles
41 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

you mean Petro*

What a weird way to say Goliath.

[X-PN]
Members
1,499 posts
11,906 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

What is random is that the other 75% of the team isn't adjusted to balance out the overall quality of both teams.

Also, I think that you meant to say "these large skill imbalances will happen ..." in the final sentence.

Of course... I'm not the best at poof reading... 

Fixed, thank you.

btw- error above is joke.