You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Helstrem

Tonight I completed the tasks for Zaō's UU. It will not be mounted.

61 comments in this topic

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,558 posts
5,892 battles

Choosing between an upgrade that reads "Main battery firing range +16%" and one that reads "Main battery firing range +8%", which would you choose?  This is the functional choice that Zaō players have when choosing between Main Battery Mod 3 and Improved Bridge (Zaō's UU) for slot 6.

Yes, Zaō's UU also reduces maximum dispersion by 7%, but Zaō already uses the very tight DD dispersion chart so the gains from that are minimal and the actual benefit insignificant.

Here is my earlier thread about this issue.

• Cool 4
  • Meh 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

Couldn't agree more.  I completed the UU about 2 months ago and came to the same conclusion ... you lose more than you gain by mounting it.

Members
657 posts
220 battles
4 hours ago, guns_at_last_light said:

The official name is "Unpopular Upgrade".

I prefer an unuseable upgrade.

Unpopular is still an excellent describer.  I can see how an alternate playstyle on a specific ship can be beneficial e.g. CW where the playstyle of a specific ship is not locked.  However, I feel that for most of us, if we want a ship of a different playstyle.... we play a different ship.

This was practical when the UU/LM (or whatever) was locked behind some grindy missions.  It makes no sense to me having an alternate playstyle (note: Alternate, not better or worse) locked behind RB points.   If I have to use RB points to Buy/Pay for an item to go into an upgrade slot, it should ether be the same price as the other upgrade in that slot, or in the case where I spend RB points, it needs to be a clear upgrade.  

When it comes to this (UU and the alternate playstyle for RB points) I feel WG is pissing down my back, and telling me it's raining.  Man up WG, the cost of these UU's does not match the function and are (for the majority) Useless Upgrades and not used. 

• Cool 2

[NOVEL]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,938 battles

WG nerfed this one hard. The old one had also a bonus for rudder shift, which made it much easier to dodge long range fire. 

Was too popular and had some positiv inpact to the WR, so WG removed it.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
13,205 posts
27,690 battles
1 hour ago, DocWalker said:

Couldn't agree more.  I completed the UU about 2 months ago and came to the same conclusion ... you lose more than you gain by mounting it.

Zao's UU used to include a rudder shift reduction too as I recall before WG "fixed it". 

I use very few of the original 20 LM/UU's. I got them all more just to have done it then expecting to use them (especially after the big rebalancing of them which made even more of them crap).

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,318 posts
13,116 battles

The UU’s were only super strong for long enough to have the unicoms buff stats, once the general population began to have it, * poof, * they get nerfed. This happens with ships too.  

I also believe this is where the P2W concept is starting to creep into the game. 

Edited by skillztowin
  • Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[TSF]
Members
367 posts
13,964 battles

Zao's unique upgrade used to be one of the best. However, after the players put in a significant amount of time, effort, and flags to acquire said upgrade, WG nerfed the heck out of it. Same with most of the other unique upgrades. Frankly, it was pretty despicable of them to nerf them so hard after the players spent SO MUCH time to get them. The final task required 40,000 BASE experience. 

Given how badly the UU's were nerfed, it's no surprise that the players aren't lining up to complete the missions to get them. 

Never fear, WG has come up with a solution: they are now selling the unique upgrades for CASH: lots of it. Check out the new ARP Yamato top package, which conveniently comes with the Unique Upgrade!

• Cool 3

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,893 battles
4 minutes ago, Litigo_1970 said:

Zao's unique upgrade used to be one of the best. However, after the players put in a significant amount of time, effort, and flags to acquire said upgrade, WG nerfed the heck out of it. Same with most of the other unique upgrades. Frankly, it was pretty despicable of them to nerf them so hard after the players spent SO MUCH time to get them. The final task required 40,000 BASE experience. 

Given how badly the UU's were nerfed, it's no surprise that the players aren't lining up to complete the missions to get them. 

Never fear, WG has come up with a solution: they are now selling the unique upgrades for CASH: lots of it. Check out the new ARP Yamato top package, which conveniently comes with the Unique Upgrade! 

I have the Arp UU and it sits unused. Id rather have the additional reload time.

I looked at all the Unique upgrades when i unlocked the RB from the last dockyard and..Why would i ever put that super expensive currency into them? None of them even seem like decent upgrades or even sidegrades to me at least compared to the regular upgrades.

[WOLFG]
Members
31,987 posts
9,887 battles
4 hours ago, DocWalker said:

No offense, but I came to that conclusion when they announced the moving of the UUs to the RB, and wanted to see what was worth grinding for.

Alpha Tester
550 posts
11,080 battles
1 hour ago, skillztowin said:

The UU’s were only super strong for long enough to have the unicoms buff stats, once the general population began to have it, * poof, * they get nerfed. This happens with ships too.  

I also believe this is where the P2W concept is starting to creep into the game. 

Absolutely correct. This is the model that is driving me from the game.

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,295 posts
8,554 battles

I still do not like the idea of having the unique upgrades be "side grades".  Given the extreme length of the grind it takes to get them these days, they absolutely should be something that is clearly worth mounting on your ship.  And if WG does want to make them optional side grades, then they should radically alter the way a ship plays to the point where it's functionally an entirely new boat.  Sacrificing 1.3km range for 7% better dispersion (on a ship that already has DD dispersion) is such a laughably minor change that really does nothing to impact the ship's play style or justify spending 19k research points on (for newer players who don't have the mission) 

Edited by yashma
  • Thanks 1

[4HIM]
Members
3,245 posts
14,635 battles

Completed the last UU grind about a week or so ago.  But of the minor few I have, none are mounted.  Just wanted to finish the UU missions.  It was enough doing those.  No way I'd be willing to do RB just to get one.  They've all been rendered almost useless now.  

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
6,378 posts
10,471 battles

The extra agility was a big asset for HE-kiting playing.

Just sold mine and mounted the MB range module.

Edited by ObiphanKenobi
edit the insulting bit out

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,558 posts
5,892 battles
Just now, DocWalker said:

Just now, AdmiralThunder said:

Zao's UU used to include a rudder shift reduction too as I recall before WG "fixed it". 

I use very few of the original 20 LM/UU's. I got them all more just to have done it then expecting to use them (especially after the big rebalancing of them which made even more of them crap).

Just now, Princess_Daystar said:

I have the Arp UU and it sits unused. Id rather have the additional reload time.

I looked at all the Unique upgrades when i unlocked the RB from the last dockyard and..Why would i ever put that super expensive currency into them? None of them even seem like decent upgrades or even sidegrades to me at least compared to the regular upgrades.

Just now, ZARDOZ_II said:

Completed the last UU grind about a week or so ago.  But of the minor few I have, none are mounted.  Just wanted to finish the UU missions.  It was enough doing those.  No way I'd be willing to do RB just to get one.  They've all been rendered almost useless now.  

Just now, Reymu said:

WG definitely retarded to nerf this UU. The extra agility was a big asset for HE-kiting playing.

Just sold mine and mounted the MB range module.

This is the way.  Having the module and not mounting it, perhaps selling it as Reymu did (not sure), is the best way to tell WG it isn't good enough.  Not having the module doesn't tell them anything.  What they need to see in their spread sheet is that of the people who have the UU almost none mount it.  That tells them it isn't good enough.  That was one of the reasons they used when buffing some of the UU at the time others got nerfed.

Just now, skillztowin said:

Just now, Weapon_of_Proliferation said:

Absolutely correct. This is the model that is driving me from the game.

None of the UU were ever overpoweringly good and most were always mediocre or outright garbage.  I agree that moving them to the RB was a bad idea and I don't plan on ever getting any more of them due to that, but I certainly don't agree with your claims here.

Just now, Princess_Daystar said:

If I didn't have Musashi for which the reload module is the only real choice I would have dismounted Yamato's UU when they nerfed it, but as it is I use it so the two ships play slightly differently.  If you ever get Yamato you can run it with the reload module and then your ARP Yamato with the UU for the same reason.

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,893 battles
46 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

This is the way.  Having the module and not mounting it, perhaps selling it as Reymu did (not sure), is the best way to tell WG it isn't good enough.  Not having the module doesn't tell them anything.  What they need to see in their spread sheet is that of the people who have the UU almost none mount it.  That tells them it isn't good enough.  That was one of the reasons they used when buffing some of the UU at the time others got nerfed.

None of the UU were ever overpoweringly good and most were always mediocre or outright garbage.  I agree that moving them to the RB was a bad idea and I don't plan on ever getting any more of them due to that, but I certainly don't agree with your claims here.

If I didn't have Musashi for which the reload module is the only real choice I would have dismounted Yamato's UU when they nerfed it, but as it is I use it so the two ships play slightly differently.  If you ever get Yamato you can run it with the reload module and then your ARP Yamato with the UU for the same reason.

With me playing in COOP i doubt ill use the UU regardless. Im a long way from the Yamato still(Only at tier 5) and its taken me almost a month to get to tier 8 on the french tree in COOP so not really worried about it either way for the time being!

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

I have a handful of UUs, I use exactly one of them.

I'll have the Z-52 completed before the end of the year, but I have no plans to use it. 

The Zao, Montana, and Moskva, I have the mission chains, but I'm about to finish the second (credits) stage, and I see no reason to push myself to complete the rest. 

The UUs are largely pointless, IMO.  They're not sidegrades, they're not "alternate playstyles", they're downgrades wrapped in superfluous enticements.  

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
6,378 posts
10,471 battles
29 minutes ago, Princess_Daystar said:

With me playing in COOP i doubt ill use the UU regardless. Im a long way from the Yamato still(Only at tier 5) and its taken me almost a month to get to tier 8 on the french tree in COOP so not really worried about it either way for the time being!

Aside from the 15 wins at stage 4, IDK why anyone would grind the UU in co-op when Random is faster.

That said, it's making the UUs feel like a chore more than an achievement. I'd have preferred something to tune of UU can be used to get a particular buff (acceleration, MB reload/ accuracy, torp reload speed, concealment, better RP) by itself. Small amount like say another 5-9% buff; not game-breaking (maybe CB?) and stuff.

[X-PN]
Members
1,514 posts
11,958 battles
6 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I have a handful of UUs, I use exactly one of them.

I'll have the Z-52 completed before the end of the year, but I have no plans to use it. 

The Zao, Montana, and Moskva, I have the mission chains, but I'm about to finish the second (credits) stage, and I see no reason to push myself to complete the rest. 

The UUs are largely pointless, IMO.  They're not sidegrades, they're not "alternate playstyles", they're downgrades wrapped in superfluous enticements.  

Agreed.  The current concept for UU is garbage and often inappropriately named....  many of them are unique downgrades. 

I spent RP for one of the few decent ones, and decided never again.  At half the cost of a new ship, they are very over priced.  I have 11 missions left to complete, but I will only try to complete 1 or 2 at most.

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,893 battles
24 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Aside from the 15 wins at stage 4, IDK why anyone would grind the UU in co-op when Random is faster.

That said, it's making the UUs feel like a chore more than an achievement. I'd have preferred something to tune of UU can be used to get a particular buff (acceleration, MB reload/ accuracy, torp reload speed, concealment, better RP) by itself. Small amount like say another 5-9% buff; not game-breaking (maybe CB?) and stuff.

Im a COOP main..so..why would i touch randoms?

The UUs -need- something to make them worth the RB points, as it is? They really arent.

Alpha Tester
550 posts
11,080 battles
2 hours ago, Helstrem said:

I was referring more to the way the latest cruiser line seems to get a magic RNG halo, and un-developed citadels that cannot be exploited until two seasons of CB have passed, nerfs then happen, and the next cruiser line supersedes the previous one, which can lead to additional profits through free xp conversion by people being compelled to have the latest thing to remain somewhat competitive, or at least equalize the field a bit.

It's maybe not what you were referring to, but your original statement fits this issue as well, I feel.

[EQRN]
Members
2,198 posts
19,560 battles

And this is why I had zero problem with WG moving the UUs to the RB, something I will never waste time accumulating currency for.  

Specifically in regards to Zao, I agree with Flamu - the UU needed to be strong for the Zao since it’s not particularly strong anymore.  If they nerfed the UU and then buffed the ship, maybe it wouldn’t be such a downgrade item, especially if the dispersion was tossed but the rudder bonus was kept.

Of all the UUs I acquired through missions, I only keep the Grozovoi and Moskva mounted.  I’ll keep all the other on the off-chance WG buffs any of them.

[ARGSY]
Members
22,995 posts
17,020 battles

I very recently finished the Minotaur UU grind. Hilariously, I did the last 10K base XP with Radar Minotaur in co-op. 

IIRC anyone who wants to run hardcore Radar Mino would find her UU counterproductive as it cripples her concealment and leaves her unable to torp or radar from stealth; it's only good for the smoke player. For the Minotaur Smoker, I understand it gives her smokescreen performance something approaching (but not quite) that of the Haida or Perth. 

Given that the module cannot be earned back if sold, it would mean using doubloons to switch it out depending on which sort of Mino I intend to run. So it will sit in inventory and rot there.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[APEZ]
Members
2,516 posts
8,937 battles

The are supposed to be sidegrades.

If they were straight upgrades to all available options, there wouldn't really be any options. 

• Cool 1