Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Singularity_invader

Should WeeGee Just Remove Friendly Bots Since They Are Close to Useless?

33 comments in this topic

[GWG]
Members
7,358 posts
14,120 battles

In those missions where I need torpedo hits, damage, fires, or spotting damage.....
Those All Bot missions were DREAMS.  Sure I lose, but I get 50 planes shot down, 30 torpedo hits, and boo-kooo fires and flooding.

Members
603 posts
11,091 battles
2 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

In those missions where I need torpedo hits, damage, fires, or spotting damage.....
Those All Bot missions were DREAMS.  Sure I lose, but I get 50 planes shot down, 30 torpedo hits, and boo-kooo fires and flooding.

You'd even get more without your bot "teammates". Think about it.

• Meh 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,462 posts
27,167 battles
2 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Pretty much this; though I don’t lose enough even in 1 versus 17 circumstances for me to care, beyond cursing out WG for the bot cheats.

1 minute ago, Singularity_invader said:

You'd even get more without your bot "teammates". Think about it.

Like I said; I don’t lose often enough for it to matter much to me.

Even with my recent spamming of T10s for UUs, I win and make enough, often enough, that my credits total is going up.

Members
603 posts
11,091 battles
2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Pretty much this; though I don’t lose enough even in 1 versus 17 circumstances for me to care, beyond cursing out WG for the bot cheats.

Like I said; I don’t lose often enough for it to matter much to me.

Even with my recent spamming of T10s for UUs, I win and make enough, often enough, that my credits total is going up.

Bots don't cheat, but they do have level differences, and the bad ones mostly end up in friendly teams, which I'd rather play without.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

Members
603 posts
11,091 battles
1 minute ago, HamptonRoads said:

Every once in a while you get the smart bots on your side. 

Sure, we can all find excuses to make ourselves feel more comfortable, but the problem doesn't go away like that.

• Confused 1
  • Meh 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,462 posts
27,167 battles
25 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

Best way I’ve found to get a ‘smart’ bot destroyer at least, is to kill its opposite before they can ram each other. They tend to do pretty good after that.

• Cool 2

[CO-OP]
Members
2,611 posts
27,681 battles

In your screenshots, two of the bots did as well (marginally better) than the other human player.  So, I would say they are far from useless.

Members
603 posts
11,091 battles
2 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

In your screenshots, two of the bots did as well (marginally better) than the other human player.  So, I would say they are far from useless.

It doesn't necessarily mean the bots did well, it could mean those human players were bad too, but bad human players aren't something that WG has total control over.

• Meh 1

[PVE]
Members
10,869 posts
18,755 battles

You have to adjust your tactics when there are all or many bots. I suppose a carrier would probably be the hardest to win with, if it's a dumb bot team. I don't really play them so I wouldn't know really. You can get some really great scores with all bots though. I think that I lose more battles with all human teams than with all bot teams. Believe it or not.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,462 posts
27,167 battles
23 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

You have to adjust your tactics when there are all or many bots. I suppose a carrier would probably be the hardest to win with, if it's a dumb bot team. I don't really play them so I wouldn't know really.

Not with RTS. Considerably more difficult now. (Thanks mostly to WG’s so-called easier to use carrier UI.)

You can get some really great scores with all bots though.

Definitely.

I think that I lose more battles with all human teams than with all bot teams. Believe it or not.

Pretty much. Mostly because they mange to die faster than bots might; often leaving you without spotting, and mostly unable to work the red bots in order to kill them one at a time.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,555 battles

The only difference in a match where they removed the friendly bots vs a match where they didn't would be that in the match without the friendly bots you'd have to worry about being killed, but not team killed. Everything else would be just about the same.

[PVE]
Members
7,560 posts
23,541 battles
5 hours ago, Singularity_invader said:

Screenshot (142).png

Screenshot (143).png

Screenshot (144).png

A smoking meat shield (guaranteed to smoke as soon as it is spotted) leading you forward at the beginning of the match is the easiest way to victory (in anything but a CV).

You gotta work to keep them alive as opposed to trying to farm personal damage at the start.

The longer they live the longer they remain as meat shields. Rush forward & kill the red DD your DD would normally try to ram keeping it in the game to soften something up w/it's torps.

The same tactic should work as well in a CV...head to one side of the cap or the other (the one w/the most meat shields) w/your ship (find an island to camp behind...but forward...not at the back of the map) & attack the front line red DDs on that side ASAP while spotting the rest of their team (move forward for quicker reloads & work that side until it's clear & you can move farther forward for even quicker reloads). If you start to lose planes hit the F key...your planes will be right there again wall soon. If nothing else it makes that DD smoke up early & be spotted by your planes when it comes out so your bots can help kill it while 1st dropping their smoke.

If you find the reds are too numerous on that side after initial spotting head towards the other side staying back until you get that side spotted & can find a safe island to park behind.

I've only played reworks on the PTS but that worked quite well in co-op then. I did spend most of the time playing them in random though as the missions usually required them.

Not too fond of the idea of bots in random though...liked the queue drop games...but don't play lower tiers unless running a new line for a few games so at least the higher tier queue dumps still exist late at night.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
13,174 posts
27,611 battles

I will take the all or mostly bot teams any day; even in a CV. Actually, it helps in a CV as you end up with some time to do something vs 4-5 min all human games where you don't. All or mostly bot teams means I generally have a much better game reward wise vs an all or mostly human team.

And if you remove them what do you do then? At those times when you get a lot of bots on the team do you want to wait 5, 10, etc... mins just for a game you could most likely win without that wait for all humans?

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles
42 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I will take the all or mostly bot teams any day; even in a CV. Actually, it helps in a CV as you end up with some time to do something vs 4-5 min all human games where you don't. All or mostly bot teams means I generally have a much better game reward wise vs an all or mostly human team.

And if you remove them what do you do then? At those times when you get a lot of bots on the team do you want to wait 5, 10, etc... mins just for a game you could most likely win without that wait for all humans?

^ This. I prefer all bot teams, it lets me get more damage. Sure the games last longer but its far more fun for me. Id rather just remove their ability to do team damage and take damage...and increase the number on each team to full random sizes.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
7,754 posts
12,821 battles

I was once in a low-tier match (Tier 3 or 4, I think) wherein the few human players got sunk and only bots were left.  I think it was co-op.  Anyway....
The one remaining bot on my team suddenly leveled-up and proceeded to sink five (yeah, 5!) red-shirt-wearing bots in a row and won the match.

If I had not stuck around to be a spectator, I would've missed this sight.

Sorry, I don't have a replay or a screenshot.  It was months ago.  I was simply amazed and didn't have the presence of mind to record the event properly.

Point is, bots are capable of some interesting phenomena.
Also, bots emulate human behaviors, including the behaviors of running into islands and causing friendly fire incidents.  :Smile_teethhappy:

[PVE]
Members
1,141 posts
9,607 battles
9 hours ago, Umikami said:

The only difference in a match where they removed the friendly bots vs a match where they didn't would be that in the match without the friendly bots you'd have to worry about being killed, but not team killed. Everything else would be just about the same.

I take damage from friendly bots about as often as I take damage from friendly humans. The reason humans don't damage me more is that they are usually launching their torps from far enough behind me that I can dodge them more often. 

[WOLFG]
Members
11,540 posts
10,689 battles
7 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

meat shield

This is why you want friendly bots.

I don't think waiting longer to get more ugly bags of water in the game is the way to go.  One of the attractions of coop is being able to play more games in the same amount of time.

• Cool 3

[GWG]
Members
7,358 posts
14,120 battles
13 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

And then you get HUMILIATED.....

10_29_19_Alsace_B1.jpg

[PVE]
Members
7,560 posts
23,541 battles
51 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

This is why you want friendly bots.

I don't think waiting longer to get more ugly bags of (mostly) water in the game is the way to go.  One of the attractions of coop is being able to play more games in the same amount of time.

[WOLF8]
Members
7,709 posts
6,482 battles
6 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Well said Admiral. Two thumbs up, lol. :Smile_great::Smile_great::Smile_teethhappy:

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

A few green bots as cannon-fodder is generally better, especially if they don't all ram something.   My general approach when there's a green bot is to let it go first and draw fire, and try to kill anything red that's going to ram it before they run into each other. 

The problem with "NO green bots EVER" is that sometimes you'd wait forever for a battle, OR sometimes you'd end up grossly outnumbered by the bots, and the one thing red bots can do is concentrate accurate fire on one player at a time. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
13,174 posts
27,611 battles
44 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

I've had good luck with green bots. I have even tried to  give them +1 karma. 

You used to be able to give the bots karma - was hilarious

Sign in to follow this