You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Can anyone identify the wrecked ship in this starting screen? (ETA: SOLVED!)

16 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
22,856 posts
16,941 battles

Located in the lower left below the own-player's-team list is a grounded, rusted wreck whose type I cannot identify. I suspect it's something WG made up, but if it's an actual ship type I would be very interested to know. That forward secondary casemate mount is mildly reminiscent of a jet intake, and it's nothing like I've ever seen on an actual warship.

shot-20_11.17_20_27.43-0636.thumb.jpg.574fd8b8bd418e0eabb2d2cb44697c06.jpg

NB: This is not naming-and-shaming because there are not yet any results.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[GWG]
Members
7,358 posts
14,119 battles

I believe that was supposed to be the Emden.

It sat abandoned in this condition until after WW2.

SMS_Emden_SLV_AllanGreen.jpg

Edited by AVR_Project

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,731 posts
4,263 battles
4 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

I believe that was supposed to be the Emden.

It sat abandoned in this condition until after WW2.

If it's supposed to be Emden it doesn't match the model. This wreck looks to have a forward double turret, and then two double wing turrets, which isn't close to what Emden has. It has also casement mounted secondaries. I agree historically it matches Emden, but the model definitely doesn't.

The wing turrets narrow the list, there's only a few ships in game with those. A quick look and the closest I found was the French T3 BB Turenne, which still isn't an exact match. I also think that map and picture predate French BBs, so yeah. You may be right, WG could have just made it up.

[GWG]
Members
7,358 posts
14,119 battles
5 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

If it's supposed to be Emden it doesn't match the model. This wreck looks to have a forward double turret, and then two double wing turrets, which isn't close to what Emden has. It has also casement mounted secondaries. I agree historically it matches Emden, but the model definitely doesn't.

The wing turrets narrow the list, there's only a few ships in game with those. A quick look and the closest I found was the French T3 BB Turenne, which still isn't an exact match. I also think that map and picture predate French BBs, so yeah. You may be right, WG could have just made it up.

It more resembles the Olympia....   But then.. it never sunk.   Like you say, 'Artistic License'.

[KWF]
Members
5,527 posts
6,846 battles
34 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Located in the lower left below the own-player's-team list is a grounded, rusted wreck whose type I cannot identify. I suspect it's something WG made up, but if it's an actual ship type I would be very interested to know. That forward secondary casemate mount is mildly reminiscent of a jet intake, and it's nothing like I've ever seen on an actual warship.

Is there a reward? :cap_haloween:Cause I know what this one is (possibly).

Spoiler

Pretty certain it's a Kawachi class, namesake or Settsu; the supporting pillars on these large masts is pretty distinctive, as is that bow casemate.

300px-Japanese_battleship_Kawachi_in_ear

Settsu.jpg

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 2

Members
1,109 posts
1,567 battles

2 tripod masts, chrysanthemum bow ornament, brass searchlight on the foremast, wing turrets

That's IJN Settsu. ♦

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,202 posts
12,101 battles

40 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Located in the lower left below the own-player's-team list is a grounded, rusted wreck whose type I cannot identify. I suspect it's something WG made up, but if it's an actual ship type I would be very interested to know. That forward secondary casemate mount is mildly reminiscent of a jet intake, and it's nothing like I've ever seen on an actual warship

shot-20_11.21_18_46.33-0671.thumb.jpg.063ddd32a079f6d6546c7065490c62fa.jpg

Tried to get the angle similar - but that's likely Kawachii - can't find photo's of when she sunk after an accidental explosion sunk her - but the model there appears to be one of the two ships. Right mast style, turret placement and orientation, secondary's, etc. 

[FOXY]
Members
1,211 posts
5,765 battles

I just did a "quick"(24 minute) loop around the islands cause i actually was curious about the modeled ships there, and..none of them come close to looking like the art screen. Shame really.

[GWG]
Members
7,358 posts
14,119 battles

Very few warships 'cruiser-and-above' were left abandoned to the elements.  The Japanese were particularly astute and raising and reusing ships.
But the Emden was in such a remote, unindustrialized area (at the time) that, like some of the Solomon's IJN wrecks, were nothing more than curiosities for wayward tourists.

But industrialization came to Southeast Asia and all the accessible wrecks were collected up for razor blades.

It may not be the Emden, but the picture was inspired by the wreck.

Edited by AVR_Project

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,436 posts
13,111 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It's Kawachi as she appears in game, or it could be her sister ship Settsu. They were identical.

The "Jet intake" on the side of the bow is where the forward most secondary gun is located, the odd looking recess is so the gun can elevate and depress when facing forward. It also probably meant that in anything but a flat calm, she was shipping water into those secondary guns, which was not an uncommon issue back then.

Secondary's are in the correct locations, the masts are correct, as are the funnels.

Kawachi was only partially dismantled after she exploded and capsized, and her hull was left as an artificial reef.

[WPORT]
Members
70 posts
11,146 battles

This^^^^^ as SgtBeltfed stated, and it was one of the first batches of in-game screenies as there were only the two lines, IJN and USN - cmon Alpha and Beta testers :Smile_glasses:

[V_V_V]
Members
933 posts
16,751 battles

Kawachi.  Another view, for the ^ details, including the fore and mainmast star petals.

shot-20.11.21_19.17.06-0782.jpg

Edited by Charon2018
add text

[DRAH]
Members
401 posts
10,056 battles

Yep its a Kawachi class. here is a photo from wikipedia clearly showing the bow gun cutout. other matching features are one forward pointing casemate battery gun with all others mounting backwards.

image.png.e5df15adfe3e0b26ebee146cc3fd2aec.png

[ARGSY]
Members
22,856 posts
16,941 battles

Thanks, all. Yeah, what threw me was the fact that in the wreck, the forward secondary casemate is so close to the water.