You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AJTP89

Iowa Class 16in Gun Firing

39 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,750 posts
4,272 battles

Found this video a day or so ago, compilation of 16in fire from the Iowas. One of the best I've seen, definitely wouldn't want to be on the receiving end. The most impressive part in the middle when the ship fires all guns in 3 gun rapid salvos. Had to be something to experience in person, and I believe most of the firings here aren't at full charge.

Fun facts: Those barrels you see bouncing around like toothpicks are more than 65ft long and weigh 120 tons. There's a lot of power behind them.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,154 posts

I was in an 8-inch unit in the army. Some might note that 16-inch shells are only twice the diameter as the howitzer shells. However, each 16-inch shell weighs ten times what an 8-inch shell weighs.

Something I didn't know -- it took up to 80 men to operate a battleship turret.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
8,632 posts
12,554 battles

Modern warships will NEVER reach this level of stunningly beautiful deliverance of destruction 

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,264 posts

My father was in Korea and his unit recieved close danger support from USS New Jersey the day after he was wounded. The Marines tell stories of the ground waves like a ocean wave with shaking between 1000 to 2000 meters from impacting rounds into the Chinese line. They roar over like a railroad boxcar at speed hit the ground with a enormous THUD pause as the fuse works and TWUMPTH. Up go the chinee. Then the ground waves reach the marines a few moments later. Bouncy bouncy.

I have spent much time with Civil War Artillery at either Indian Springs Fort in Maryland (Revolutionary) or Fort Shenandoah in Winchester VA who has annual shoot competition using live fire and Civil War Technology. Occasionally the 10 pound tregadar or the 20 pound parrot gets to shoot and I give thanks I am a deaf man so the ears are fine while others bleed a little bit if they don't protect them first.

I can still remember with chills that rain of double canister 300 yards downrange against the mountain granite back stop under the red flag. You had to be a man to face that rain in those days back then. There are stories recorded where humans just became a gushy mist that vanished to nothing when blasted by minie rounds by the dozen. Just one is enough to turn any of your larger bones to powder that is not recoverable and requires amputation to save your life. Even with today's Shock Trauma that would be what they have to do asap. Chop.

A long time ago we were with 155mm towed as the Gaurd did their thing in public and I love it. I get plastered by the BOOM and shock of them big bastards firing but man you do not want to be on the other end.

Edited by xHeavy
  • Cool 2

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,241 battles

Here's an interesting gigantic gun factoid from the New Jersey BB youtube channel.

Apparently, these guns were restricted to firing mostly broadside as firing them over the bow or too close to the superstructure would damage parts of the ship.  This came up when they were discussing another design which had the 3 turret mounted amidships blocked by the aft superstructure.  But apparently, that wasn't a huge loss because firing directly aft could also cause damage to parts of the ship.

It makes sense when you think about it.   Even a contained explosion of several hundred pounds of powder is going to cause a shock wave.   You wanna keep that as far from the ship as possible.

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,241 battles
10 minutes ago, wolfkind252 said:

I heard that if he Iowa class fired all 9 at once the ship moved 2.5 meters in the opposite direction\

According to my research of the Battleship New Jersey youtube channel this is a bit of an urban legend.

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

Awesome sight .... thanks!

My dad was blue water Navy in WWII, in the Pacific ... and was often beneath the flight path of such rounds.  He said they sounded like RR box cars passing overhead.

Like Snargfargle, I was also in an 8 inch unit in the Army ... dad's description shut down my bragging pretty quick.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,593 posts
10,718 battles
14 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

My dad was blue water Navy in WWII, in the Pacific ... and was often beneath the flight path of such rounds.  He said they sounded like RR box cars passing overhead.

I think somewhere in there, you could hear that sound, like the train was moving away from you.  Fast.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,750 posts
4,272 battles
46 minutes ago, wolfkind252 said:

I heard that if he Iowa class fired all 9 at once the ship moved 2.5 meters in the opposite direction\

I've heard that a couple times, and from what I can tell if you were actually on the ship you got that impression. But I've also seen a couple people math it out and there's no way even the whole broadside is shoving 50000+ tons of BB sideways in the water any noticeable distance. My guess is people feel the massive blast wave and maybe some roll is imparted to the ship. All I know is from my experience shooting high powered rifles. With a 7mm round you can feel the ground shake a couple feet away and there's a very noticeable shock wave from the muzzle, we've knocked things off walls with the blast. It's an experience. I can't even imagine what that scaling that up to 406mm must be like, the world probably feels and sounds like it's ending, and that's just on the sending end...

Interesting fact I discovered while poking around, the rifling on those guns is pretty much the same turn/distance ratio as regular rifles. Those guns are rifles in every sense of the word.

And there's naval bombardment, several BBs blasting away with main and secondary batteries, with cruiser and DD support. Not to mention the air bombardment. I can't imagine what it must have been like on the receiving end of that, it's absolutely amazing anyone was able to get up and fight after a pasting like that.

57 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

Modern warships will NEVER reach this level of stunningly beautiful deliverance of destruction 

Definitely true. BBs are unfortunately obsolete, but no modern warship will have the sheer presence of a battleship and that awe-inspiring amount of firepower.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,557 battles
1 hour ago, tcbaker777 said:

Tell that to an Ohio class boomer.

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,241 battles
1 minute ago, AJTP89 said:

maybe some roll is imparted to the ship.

Yep, I think that on the bridge of a tallish ship rolling a number of degrees might work out close to a couple meters displacement just via the roll.    

[HELLS]
Members
2,788 posts
30,080 battles
8 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Nukes excepted. Cruise missiles don't have the warhead carry weight. The comparison comes in kinetic energy imparted by velocity at impact on target. A cruise missile and 16-inch round are not comparable, but the cruise missile carries a heavier explosive charge and arrives at the target at about 762 feet per second or higher, depending on type. Have to check the curves on the 16-inch as terminal velocity varies with range. The 16-inch round is constant weight but the cruise missile gets lighter with distance as it burns fuel. Interesting problem. Unless it gets spoofed or shot down, the cruise missile is almost alway guaranteed to hit the target, which makes it more efficient but it is a quantum leap more expensive! Your tax dollars at work!

[TF_64]
Members
174 posts
2 hours ago, wolfkind252 said:

It is a popular myth, but it's just that, a myth. Physics > myths.

• Cool 1

Members
813 posts
10 hours ago, xHeavy said:

have spent much time with Civil War Artillery at either Indian Springs Fort in Maryland (Revolutionary) or Fort Shenandoah in Winchester VA who has annual shoot competition using live fire and Civil War Technology. Occasionally the 10 pound tregadar or the 20 pound parrot gets to shoot and I give thanks I am a deaf man so the ears are fine while others bleed a little bit if they don't protect them first.

I can still remember with chills that rain of double canister 300 yards downrange against the mountain granite back stop under the red flag. You had to be a man to face that rain in those days back then. There are stories recorded where humans just became a gushy mist that vanished to nothing when blasted by minie rounds by the dozen. Just one is enough to turn any of your larger bones to powder that is not recoverable and requires amputation to save your life. Even with today's Shock Trauma that would be what they have to do asap. Chop.

You might like this video.   Its from an history class at West Point in the 80's.   Cadets once had to watch this material.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
7,808 posts
12,868 battles
12 hours ago, wolfkind252 said:

I don't know about that (one way or another).
I did recently see a video wherein a Veteran Sailor talks about being aboard when the ship (Iowa class) was learning to fire the main guns.
There was so much shaking & rattling from the recoil, that they eventually installed a mechanism to prevent the main guns from from being fired simultaneously.
The device introduced a six-tenths-of-a-second delay between barrels being fired.

I was aboard the LST USS Newport (1179), when she was doing gunnery practice with 3-inch guns. 
At my assigned station as a Marine aboard as a "passenger", I was in a berthing area deep inside the ship.
When the guns fired, we knew it.  The was a loud boom from each firing and we could feel the vibrations travel throughout the ship.
16-inch guns are much bigger.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,154 posts
12 hours ago, DocWalker said:

Those 16-inch shells are simply huge!

29xZJgjaE0vFtqFmIQ2o5lT5HGGes0GMunD54WVb

• Cool 1

[UN1]
Members
1,324 posts
4,158 battles
11 hours ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Nukes excepted. Cruise missiles don't have the warhead carry weight. The comparison comes in kinetic energy imparted by velocity at impact on target. A cruise missile and 16-inch round are not comparable, but the cruise missile carries a heavier explosive charge and arrives at the target at about 762 feet per second or higher, depending on type. Have to check the curves on the 16-inch as terminal velocity varies with range. The 16-inch round is constant weight but the cruise missile gets lighter with distance as it burns fuel. Interesting problem. Unless it gets spoofed or shot down, the cruise missile is almost always guaranteed to hit the target, which makes it more efficient but it is a quantum leap more expensive! Your tax dollars at work!

More expensive per shot, definitely, but once you factor in the cost of operating a battleship, cruise missiles look like an absolute steal of a deal haha.

[HELLS]
Members
2,788 posts
30,080 battles
4 hours ago, Ranari said:

More expensive per shot, definitely, but once you factor in the cost of operating a battleship, cruise missiles look like an absolute steal of a deal haha.

Perhaps. US defence industries routinely overcharge the cost of the ammunition the produce by over 300% of its' actual production and developement costs in any case.. Using a mult-million dollar missile to kill a few terrorists instead of doing it up close and personal with a 7.62 bullet (5.56s cannot do the job properly any more with current body armor that even terrorists can buy from US suppliers online and have delivered to their door planet-wide) is expensive overkill. You need good infantry to do the job on land.

If a future major conflict ever goes nuclear, it will be at sea first IMHO....

[NONE]
Members
3,759 posts
17 hours ago, Umikami said:

Where is the beauty in a big black invisible tube slowly spewing a bunch of white tubes? :Smile_teethhappy:

I was born much too late. I would give anything to have been with Rodney at The Saintes or Nelson at Aboukir Bay. That would have been beautiful.

Edited by Balon_Greyjoy
  • Cool 1

[UN1]
Members
1,324 posts
4,158 battles
43 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Perhaps. US defence industries routinely overcharge the cost of the ammunition the produce by over 300% of its' actual production and developement costs in any case.. Using a mult-million dollar missile to kill a few terrorists instead of doing it up close and personal with a 7.62 bullet (5.56s cannot do the job properly any more with current body armor that even terrorists can buy from US suppliers online and have delivered to their door planet-wide) is expensive overkill. You need good infantry to do the job on land.

If a future major conflict ever goes nuclear, it will be at sea first IMHO....

Look, I love Iowa class battleships, but if we're looking at the math, if we assume $100m per year to operate these beasts, each, then that's 100 cruise missiles we can fire per year, each, by comparison.  If that's the case, then you'd have to be expending a huge amount of expensive cruise missiles per year to make the Iowa's look like a bargain.  The ferocity of an Iowa's artillery barrage is a sight to behold, but you can achieve that same level of effectiveness nowadays, and then some, with a compliment of F-35B's for a fraction of the price.  If it were cost effective to operate an Iowa, the Navy would, but it's just not.

[SALVO]
Members
6,633 posts
5,231 battles

Is firing all 3 guns of a turret simultaneously, discouraged? From the vid it is almost all ripple fire...

33 minutes ago, Balon_Greyjoy said:

I was born much too late. I would give anything to have been with Rodney at The Saintes or Nelson at Aboukir Bay. That would have been beautiful.

Beautiful is not what I would think about  living in a wooden box, packed like sardines, fed stale bread, no women for months... 

• Boring 2

[ATFW]
Beta Testers
64 posts
4,587 battles
18 hours ago, Fortytwo_to_4and2 said:

It is a popular myth, but it's just that, a myth. Physics > myths.

^ This^ Definitely a myth.  Very cool to see shoot in person though.  Hell rapid firing 5" guns on an Adams Class were awesome to me.