You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Slayer_Jesse

Best ship for Halsey? (Answered, can lock)

18 comments in this topic

[CMFRT]
Beta Testers
300 posts
7,753 battles

I'm finally, finally about to finish the Halsey campaign. (on the final 50k xp mission.) However despite having a lot of time to think about it, I'm still not sure what ship to put him in.

I have Montana, Des Moine, Worcester, and Gearing.  I'm up to Lexington in the CV line. All the T10's have 19 pt commanders, Monty has John Doe. Lexington has 16 pt Ovetchkin. I don't think I'll bother with the Kansas line, unless you guys think the T10 is worthwhile.

The skills themselves lead me to think Montana, but I actually want a chance for Hit Fast! to activate, so Des Moine? Gearing and Worcester can activate the talents, but don't really need help with gun traverse/reloads. CV gets the least help, only from hit hard, and I'd like to actually see my shell tracers and fireworks.

If it matters, for US premiums I have Atlanta, Anchorage, Alaska, (I just realized those are all A named cruisers lol) Texas, Arizona, and Missouri. I'm about to get Oklahoma from missions and have a spare 19pt us commander in reserve.

[CAP]
Members
398 posts
16,858 battles

With the 21 pt captains coming soon-ish which will allow each captain to have 4 (5 soon) skill builds based on the class of ship they are assigned to, I wouldn't overthink things now.  Halsey will soon have a separate BB skill tree and CA/CL skill tree so you can use him as your BB captain prime and CA/CL captain for premium ships.

EDIT: 21 Point Captains...

Edited by Jitta77
mistype

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,432 posts
17,175 battles
18 minutes ago, Slayer_Jesse said:

I'm finally, finally about to finish the Halsey campaign. (on the final 50k xp mission.) However despite having a lot of time to think about it, I'm still not sure what ship to put him in.

I have Montana, Des Moine, Worcester, and Gearing.  I'm up to Lexington in the CV line. All the T10's have 19 pt commanders, Monty has John Doe. Lexington has 16 pt Ovetchkin. I don't think I'll bother with the Kansas line, unless you guys think the T10 is worthwhile.

The skills themselves lead me to think Montana, but I actually want a chance for Hit Fast! to activate, so Des Moine? Gearing and Worcester can activate the talents, but don't really need help with gun traverse/reloads. CV gets the least help, only from hit hard, and I'd like to actually see my shell tracers and fireworks.

If it matters, for US premiums I have Atlanta, Anchorage, Alaska, (I just realized those are all A named cruisers lol) Texas, Arizona, and Missouri. I'm about to get Oklahoma from missions and have a spare 19pt us commander in reserve.

:Smile_great:I make use of him on Massachusetts A,B,Georgia:cap_rambo:

Valkyrie Chooser of the Slain#7 (2).png

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1

[CMFRT]
Beta Testers
300 posts
7,753 battles
1 minute ago, shadowsrmine said:

:Smile_great:I make use of him on Massachusetts A,B,Georgia:cap_rambo:

yeah sadly I don't think ill have time to get the coal for Georgia before they remove her. I could try to get Ohio but I haven't done a line reset yet :fish_book:

Its really a shame that the line split wasn't secondary focused like everyone wanted.

[K-POP]
Members
4,791 posts
13,162 battles

I have him on DM (and shared to all of my premium CAs except Alaska), and knew that’s where I wanted him to go before I even got him (plus all of my keeper BBs already had captains built for them). In terms of improved skills, the BB and CA lines would be the best fit (neither Gearing nor Worcester really need the improved EL or EM). For his improved skills, the cruiser and DD lines would probably be the best fit for the double strike achievement, and whichever one you do best in for confederates. 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,432 posts
17,175 battles
1 hour ago, Slayer_Jesse said:

yeah sadly I don't think ill have time to get the coal for Georgia before they remove her. I could try to get Ohio but I haven't done a line reset yet :fish_book:

Its really a shame that the line split wasn't secondary focused like everyone wanted.

:Smile_great:If you want it bad enuff and have the money    https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/vehicles/12080/      image.thumb.png.509d90b65c31e3aba0282d8faa145dba.png         

Valkyrie Chooser of the Slain#7 (2).png

Edited by shadowsrmine

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

Just up to the Iowa myself (with a Doe brother) but have left Halsey on North Carolina until I get Montana ... I play him on it, Alaska & even Salem at times to max ECXP.

I find the build very acceptable for a BB/Alaska combo.  Good luck!

nc.jpg

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,268 posts

I have him in the Anchorage as a place holder at 15 points. Hes going to be purchased to a 19 pointer with his talents and BFT and AFT as priority. Then assigned to Georgia or equilvilant as soon as I get the coal or buy it outright at the game store.

The Anchorage is not a bad ship but is not a front line vessal. Its too squishy. I would prefer a Petro or similar for a cruiser that can stay in the front.

WHAT I am thinking of doing is sticking Halsey in a Gearing. I suspect with him I can get concealment below 5.0 km. And maybe double the firing rate after a dev strike kill.

Edited by xHeavy

[REVY]
Members
8,258 posts
6,118 battles
2 hours ago, Slayer_Jesse said:

Go with your favorite ship, else Halsey gets wasted.

[PVE]
Members
7,576 posts
23,591 battles
27 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

WHAT I am thinking of doing is sticking Halsey in a Gearing. I suspect with him I can get concealment below 5.0 km. And maybe double the firing rate after a dev strike kill.

Not below 5.0 but 5.04...the best possible detection in the game (short of Arms Race buffs)...but of course situational on getting double strikes.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,077 posts
22,567 battles

Currently I have Halsey commanding Montana.

After the skill rework, my thoughts are:

Halsey will command:

- the Secondary BB line (secondary build): Ohio, GA, Mass

- Cruisers - PR, Alaska, Anchorage, Atlanta

- I haven't totally decided on a Tech Tree Home for him, but it may end up being the Gearing because

- he won't be able to command the Vermont or Montana since those are survival builds.  I have 2 Ovechkin Commanders for those lines.

- I have G Doe and J Doe at 19 points for the CA and CL lines.

- I am only at T8 Benson for the DDs, so this rework will probably happen around when I get the Gearing.

[BB35]
[BB35]
Members
522 posts
14,902 battles
2 hours ago, Slayer_Jesse said:

Yeah, but theres 3X USBB lines

1. - Fast Battleships (North Carolina, Iowa, Montana)

2. - Snail Battleship line [slow speed & slow reload, but hit hard] (Kansas, Minnesota, Vermont)

3. - Secondary Battleship line (Massachusetts, Georgia & Ohio)

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,268 posts
5 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Not below 5.0 but 5.04...the best possible detection in the game (short of Arms Race buffs)...but of course situational on getting double strikes.

thank you for the clarification. It helps alot.

I don't know why I gun for the blessed detection below 6km when several petros light me up taking turns at 10+ km radaring me to be deleted.

There has to be a counter to radaring at some point in the future. Its getting to be nothing BUT radar ships these days in CB, Random etc.

Edited by xHeavy

[PVE]
Members
7,576 posts
23,591 battles
47 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

thank you for the clarification. It helps alot.

I don't know why I gun for the blessed detection below 6km when several petros light me up taking turns at 10+ km radaring me to be deleted.

There has to be a counter to radaring at some point in the future. Its getting to be nothing BUT radar ships these days in CB, Random etc.

Sounds like you have the UU equipped already but that doesn't mean you have to test out the detection at the start.

Hang back (or go wide) of caps & wait until the radar has been spotted. Once you know where it's at it's a lot easier to avoid it.

Members
19 posts
14,863 battles

Des Moines, no questions asked as he has that expert loader that is really useful on a Des Moines because of the US heavy AP. Also easier to get confederate which gives Halsey the buff  in the Des Moines compared to other US ships simply due to the DPM of the ship and the AP

[CMFRT]
Beta Testers
300 posts
7,753 battles
2 hours ago, HSF_Misaki_Akeno said:

Des Moines, no questions asked as he has that expert loader that is really useful on a Des Moines because of the US heavy AP. Also easier to get confederate which gives Halsey the buff  in the Des Moines compared to other US ships simply due to the DPM of the ship and the AP

Yeah, thats what i wound up going for.  The extra turret rotation will help, and as you said nasty cruiser ap.

Thanks for the replies everyone.